closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Swap conundrum

Swap conundrum

Currently I have a four watch collection comprising of a 14060M (2009), Tudor GMT, FOIS and EXP.

I’m considering trading the first two, plus £800-1000 cash, for a mint recently serviced 16710 Pepsi from 1990.

I’ve been offered £2.5k on the Tudor and £5.5k on the sub. The Tudor seems about right, but I sense that the sub is low ball. Both have full b&p.

Thoughts please - would you do the watch trade in theory? Secondary question, do the values sound about correct?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited to add my Tudor is on leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes if it was one no hassle deal. Ie you give the dealer your two watches and cash in exchange for the gmt.
    I do have a soft spot for the gmt though

14060m have risen in value recently and it's not one that I'd let go. Consider selling the others in my opinion.
    And yes, definitely a low ball.

Master
    The Tudor offer sounds solid, the Sub definitely not. Can you say who you are doing the trade with ?

Is the Sub the two liner or four as the latter is more expensive. I think your 2009 date is just at the start of the four line run, but I might be wrong.

I would also check out the dial on the GMT, several listed for sale on here over the past few years have had service replacement dials etc, unless it doesn't bother you.

If it's cosc 4 liner I don't think it's fantastic deal

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Boris, you asked if we'd do the deal in theory. Personally, I wouldn't given your current collection. You're losing a watch and cash for a watch that's a fair bit older, even if newly serviced.

On balance I'd stay where I am.

Best of luck though.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman
    I say no as the Sub price is too low

Thanks for quick responses, my gut feeling seems to be right.

Deal is with WF potentially.

Sub is a 4 liner with engraved rehaut.

Based on existing thoughts and your feedback, I might be sticking where I am or just letting the Tudor go at this point.

2.5k for a Tudor GMT on leather seems a bit high, especiallt for trade. Maybe they're giving too much on the Tudor to give too little on the Sub?

The sub is definitely too low.

Sorry for the semi thread hijack, but what do you guys think is more valuable/sought after, a cleaner 2 line dial or the 4 line cosc dial?

Personally I prefer the look of the 2 line dial on the 14060

I probably would, on balance the buy in / trade in prices aren’t that bad. I spoke to a trader yesterday and he mentioned buy in prices for 5 digit subs are £5.5- 6k (and selling for £7.5k) It’s easy to get lofty ambitions based on dealer window prices and eBay etc but £8k for the pair is reasonable, it’s not great but not rude either. If you want the Gmt then do it, you’re talking hundreds not thousands.
    Last edited by tz-uk73; 24th January 2020 at 19:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Thanks for quick responses, my gut feeling seems to be right.

Deal is with WF potentially.

Sub is a 4 liner with engraved rehaut.

Based on existing thoughts and your feedback, I might be sticking where I am or just letting the Tudor go at this point.
    £5.5k for the Sub does seem very low, even for WF who’ll put at least £3k on it. They recently gave me a px at RRP for an Explorer for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    £5.5k for the Sub does seem very low, even for WF who’ll put at least £3k on it. They recently gave me a px at RRP for an Explorer for reference.

But the rest of the deal is okay. You can’t take just one part of it in isolation.
    As mentioned earlier though it does depend on gmt condition but overall not too shabby

Deal looks ok to me, but I much prefer your Sub over the 16710 - have owned three over the years and it is my least favourite of the five digit sports watches (I have watched with utter amazement the rapid price increase on this model over the last few years). It you would like a GMT I suggest you look for a 116710LN or, if you prefer vintage, then opt for a 16750. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post

Don't forget part of that £3k will include VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    2.5k for a Tudor GMT on leather seems a bit high, especiallt for trade. Maybe they're giving too much on the Tudor to give too little on the Sub?
    Makes no difference. The cost of change is all that matters.

Master
    WF quoted me an indicative trade value of £7.5k for my Y-series B&P VGC 16710, in December - so £5.5k + £2.5k doesn't sound too far out.

Master
    I’ve been looking for a clean Sub and I haven’t seen anything a s low as £5500. They seem to be minimum of £6250.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    The sub is definitely too low.

Sorry for the semi thread hijack, but what do you guys think is more valuable/sought after, a cleaner 2 line dial or the 4 line cosc dial?

Personally I prefer the look of the 2 line dial on the 14060
    4 lines less made so higher priced and more sought after.
    2 lines cleaner and aesthetically v pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I’m definitely in the 2 Line camp. Such a beautiful watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Makes no difference. The cost of change is all that matters.
    Absolutely correct. It is the same with cars and people getting hung up on part exchange prices.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    Absolutely correct. It is the same with cars and people getting hung up on part exchange prices.
    "They couldn't give me as much off the car as the other dealership but gave me much more on my trade in. The other dealership wouldn't pay me what my old car was worth!"

The amount of times I've heard that!

Craftsman
    If you really want the GMT then the deal sounds a bit low but OK to me.

If you are just after an investment then I think you should stick with what you currently have.

Blog Entries
    This is a watch forum, you should keep the Sub and Tudor and add the GMT. Never enough watches

Still don't see how they are able to offer 2.5k on the GMT on leather. I would see it as nearly 6k for the sub and just over 2k for the GMT. That might balance things for you a bit more evenly. If someone offered me 2.5k for a leather GMT I'd bite their arm off.

Grand Master
    What strikes me about this post is what the OP hadn’t told us about the Sub!

Condition?.......box & papers?......all links present?......service history (or lack of)? .......everyone’s pitching in with opinions suggesting he’s getting low- balled but there isn’t the info to draw that conclusion.

Personally I’d be reluctant to swap a 2009 watch for a 1990. I’d be looking very carefully at the GMT, I like to see a watch in mint condition but beware if over- enthusiastic polishing. If they’re done right they’re usually fine, but when Watchfinder had a shop in Leeds full of watches I was none too impressed with a lot of them.

I would sit on what you’ve got and possibly save up for a GMT if you really want one. My guess is that prices will drop in the future, if supply of the current models improves ( its bound to eventually) the older stuff will become less desirable to some buyers.

At the end of the day it’s your decision, the deal’s on the table and its your choice whether to take it, but I’d be casting a very careful eye over the GMT before committing. I much prefer the Sub!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    4 liners are usually a lot newer too!.......never ceases to amaze me how folks overlook this important point.

How would you feel if they offered you £1750 for the Tudor and £6250 for the Sub? it looks more balanced the maths is the same.

Sorry, I cant resist posting this picture again, lets have some 2 line love.

Thanks for all the feedback. Some very interesting points made and the “cost to change” comments are really valid as it is a double deal. The £2.5k is healthy I’ll admit, but on balance I still think the total value seems low.

With that in mind, I’m sticking where I am for now. The Sub was the watch I always wanted when I started on the watch journey and so I’m happy to have it. There is an itch for the gmt, hence the addition of the Tudor last year.

To answer the question about condition etc - it’s good, very good. B&P are present (as stated in the OP), all links are there but no recent service.

I wouldn’t swap a 4 liner Sub for a GMTII 16710 regardless of the two values. A new ceramic Pepsi might be a different matter, but...
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    4 liners are usually a lot newer too!.......never ceases to amaze me how folks overlook this important point.
    I guess thats only important if you prefer new watches?