closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another long lens ordered today

Another long lens ordered today

This one's a Nikkor 1000mm f11 mirror lens - manual focus

A Mk III version (dating from 1976-2000?) of the original Mk I … both have same 6 element design but the Mk III does not have the built-in filter turret … Mk III uses 39mm rear mounted screw in filters

… needs work to remove minor fungus from rear of front element which should be straightforward.

Also plan to clean both primary and secondary mirrors and add black velour flocking to lens interior … which should improve image contrast. This is standard maintenance for older astronomical reflector telescopes.

The Mk III has a built-in revolving tripod mount/collar

Lens will adapt to any FF mirrorless ICL camera e.g. Sony A7 series and Leica L mount … Nikon Z and Canon R .

Advantage of using modern mirrorless cameras is that their live view 'amplifies' small aperture lenses' image brightness … and the finder image can also be magnified for ease of focusing.

Lens weighs less than 2kg

Lens is compatible with Nikon TC-14 and TC-200 teleconverters … but the latter would be pushing things a little too far. The TC-14 would result in 1400mm f16

Compared to other mirror lenses reviews are good.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 24th January 2020 at 15:06.
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

An interesting lens Dunk. My first thought as I started reading the post was "can it be used with a TC", and you answered my question at the end. What will you shoot with it, more so if you attach a TC, given the small aperture ?

Craftsman

Another long lens ordered today

What a beast. I’‘ll be interested to see how you get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    An interesting lens Dunk. My first thought as I started reading the post was "can it be used with a TC", and you answered my question at the end. What will you shoot with it, more so if you attach a TC, given the small aperture ?
    At the Deepings Lakes nature reserve near Peterborough there are wading birds including egrets, lapwings and oyster catchers which are 100m and more from the hide fence … they'll be suitable for experimenting with the lens including using a teleconverter. The lens is sufficiently light and compact to use with an Arca Cube tripod head which enables micro-adjustments in 3 planes for optimising composition when using ultra long lenses.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU0ovTGwxqI … I acquired a s/h Arca cube head a few years ago … there are also Chinese / Korean copies available. The Arca Cube Head works well with a Samyang 800/8 mirror lens … a budget price ultra long reflex lens . the Nikkor 1000mm will hopefully enable better results than those of the Samyang 800mm. On the reserve's main lake there are cormorants nesting in trees over 100m from the main hide … another potential subject. I do not have a TC 14 teleconverter yet … I'll buy one s/h when the lens has been tested.

The hide fence in front of one of the lakes at the reserve . The lens in use is a Vixen 810mm f9 fluorite astro refractor which works well as a camera lens … but its length makes it too unstable in windy conditions (especially when used with extenders) … even when using the Manfotto supplementary long lens support which is clamped onto the Gitzo tripod. . The Arca Cube head is on the shelf next to the binoculars. The camera on the RHS is a 1" sensor Nikon 1 J5 / fitted with Nikkor 1 70-300mm … FF equivalent 810mm (2.7 x crop factor). The J5 is a fine camera but has limited high ISO capability and its images cannot be cropped as much as those taken with e.g. APS-C and FF format cameras … and no extenders are available for Nikon 1 lenses. In theory, the Nikkor 1000mm should adapt to the Nikon 1 J5 and allow auto metering - but 2700mm FF equivalent will likely prove impossible to focus due to image shake.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th January 2020 at 12:24.
    "The energy expenditure of most people's weekly gym class workouts equates to the reward of one large doughnut afterwards" … Prof. Tim Spector, 'The Diet Myth' author

The lens arrived yesterday but was obviously 'not quite right'

As listed by dealer with lens element retaining ring:

… note slots in retaining ring at 3 'o clock and 9 'o clock

… but compare above image to the actual lens received:

… note no retaining ring … it's been removed

Dealer apologised and today advised it was listed for sale in error … so it's going back tomorrow.

I tried the lens yesterday afternoon and was impressed with sharpness when the Sun was illuminating these pylons … but I could never resell it without the front element retaining ring … images taken from 300m distance

This is the lens as used yesterday with an accessory astro telescope hood fitted … to try and improve contrast

There is another Nikkor 1000mm example listed by LCE Southampton … but no plans to buy it

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Niko...29_264682.html

If I bought another I'd have to examine and try its first

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th January 2020 at 21:15.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    The lens arrived yesterday but was obviously 'not quite right'.....

That's a shame, looks to be in good order apart from the problem. :-(

Full refund including shipping received today

dunk