closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whiskey advice?

Whiskey advice?

Hi, I've had some work done in the house and I'd really like to buy a token of appreciation for the guy who's done a first class job for me.
    He does like whiskey but as I don't really drink it myself I know nothing about it to enable me to buy him a nice bottle that is not too expensive (£50 ish perhaps?) but is something a bit special and above the normal stuff in the Supermarkets?
    Can anyone help with some advice on what I could get him?
    Cheers

A safe bet will probably be a Speyside whiskey. Its not peaty and some people are not big into peat.

GlenGrant 10yr old is excellent and a bit under your budget.

Peoples choice is Glendronach 12, but that's a whisky, not a whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    A safe bet will probably be a Speyside whiskey.
    Yep.
    It's hard to go wrong with any 10yr old Scottish malt tbh.
    But you'll only find whiskey made in Ireland.

Apprentice
    Did you have a preference between Irish whiskey or Scottish whisky?

Master
    I think in the US they call their bourbon's whiskey also.
    £50 brings in a lot of nice stuff.
    A nice Macallan whisky is always appreciated I find.
    Something more unusual would be Cotswold whisky.
    This stuff is really nice-Waitrose had it down under £40 for a bit but think it might be back to forty something .
    Waitress whisky selection is excellent for that price range.

Don't knock supermarket Whisky, especially if it's not something you drink yourself.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8399131.html

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    If you like Irish Whiskey, try Green Spot. Magic stuff!20200124_034220.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Highland Park, Macallan, Jura, Glenrothes, Glenlivet, .any of those would go down a treat...as has been said some of the more peatier drams can be more of a select taste..laphroaig, Bowmore etc

I'm a bit of a whisky nut.

Some of my favourites in your ballpark of the price you mentioned include:

* Ardbeg Uigeadail (Islay / Peat / Heavy hitter)

* Lagavulin 16 Year Old (Islay / More balanced than Ardbeg / King of malts for me)

If Islay is a bit of a risk (the peatiness isn't for everyone), some non-Islay options include...

* Glendronach 15 Year Revival (might be a bit hard to find now)

* Glendronach 12 Year Old

* Glenfarcas 15 Year Old (yummy Christmas cake!)

* Balvenie 12 Year Old Double Wood (available almost everywhere, but very good for the price)

I don't find the Japanese whiskies at this price point are nearly as good as they were 4 or 5 years ago, with Nikka From The Barrel being a notable exception.

You can find useful tasting notes and reviews on Master Of Malt and Whisky Exchange websites. The Ralfy YouTube channel is also quite good.

The best writer on whisky was Michael Jackson (not that one). Sadly he's passed away, but his review book is still in circulation and is updated by other writers sympathetic to his approach. It is well worth a read.

Master

Whiskey advice?

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    I'm a bit of a whisky nut.

Some of my favourites in your ballpark of the price you mentioned include:

* Ardbeg Uigeadail (Islay / Peat / Heavy hitter)

* Lagavulin 16 Year Old (Islay / More balanced than Ardbeg / King of malts for me)

If Islay is a bit of a risk (the peatiness isn't for everyone), some non-Islay options include...

* Glendronach 15 Year Revival (might be a bit hard to find now)

* Glendronach 12 Year Old

* Glenfarcas 15 Year Old (yummy Christmas cake!)

* Balvenie 12 Year Old Double Wood (available almost everywhere, but very good for the price)

I don't find the Japanese whiskies at this price point are nearly as good as they were 4 or 5 years ago, with Nikka From The Barrel being a notable exception.

You can find useful tasting notes and reviews on Master Of Malt and Whisky Exchange websites. The Ralfy YouTube channel is also quite good.

The best writer on whisky was Michael Jackson (not that one). Sadly he's passed away, but his review book is still in circulation and is updated by other writers sympathetic to his approach. It is well worth a read.
    A chap of impeccable taste; you have listed a fair few of my favourites too, although I would contend that Lagavulin is the beefier in comparison with Ardbeg.

Given the nature of the OP’s question, a safe bet would be a Speyside in my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pete D; 24th January 2020 at 17:40.

Master
    £50 will comfortably buy you a very respectable and high quality bottle of whisky.

Some good recommendations from the post a couple up.

Some I think you could get in your budget which are winners for me.. can be ordered from places like Master of Malt:

Glenfiddich 15 Year
    Springbank 10 Year
    Benromach 15 Year
    Glenlivet 15 Year

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    £50 will comfortably buy you a very respectable and high quality bottle of whisky.

Some good recommendations from the post a couple up.

Some I think you could get in your budget which are winners for me.. can be ordered from places like Master of Malt:

Glenfiddich 15 Year
    Springbank 10 Year
    Benromach 15 Year
    Glenlivet 15 Year

Cheers.
    The Springbank would be my choice from that list, a superb whisky.

I'd also add a few more £ and take a look at A'bunadh https://www.decantalo.com/en/aberlou...nadh.html#6127 One of my all time favourites, cask strength, and it's like drinking Christmas Pudding
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

The Springbank distillery produces three different whiskies; Hazelburn, Springbank and Longrow. The latter is heavily peated, the former isn't peated at all with Springbank being somewhere in the middle. Each is also distilled differently and the entire whisky making process, from steeping and malting through to bottling, is all on site - try finding another that does that! If you'd like to gift something that has real provenance and history, not to mention a reputation for quality, then I'd strongly recommend them.

Kilkerran cask strength 8 (57% IIRC) and 12 (bottled at 46%), produced in the next building along from Springbank, are also fantastic whiskies with the light peating not dominating in any way whatsoever.

If you want to go for something a little different then I'd go for Amrut Fusion, in fact the first bottle I ever had was gifted to me maybe 8 years ago and I've never been without since. It's an Indian whisky distilled using 75% Indian barley and 25% peat smoked Scottish barley and bottled at 50%, it's bang on budget and one of my favourite whiskies regardless of price. Yes it's smoked however, much like the Kilkerrans, it's a flavour enhancer rather than dominator.
    Last edited by CardShark; 26th January 2020 at 12:47.

Thanks chaps, I appreciate the advice.
    I found this and decided to take a punt on it.
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ions/A32766085
    As it turns out he loves it so I'm now sorted.