closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ulysse Nardin

Master
    Blog Entries

Ulysse Nardin

Anyone owned one, they don't seem to have much of a following in the UK.

Lovely watches with some avant garde styling that I am a fan of. UK and US market is still up its a*se with Rolex but the more sophisticated European and Asian markets see great popularity for UN.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I've got a maxi marine and I think its a better looking watch than the Rolex Submariner. Can't speak to the quality of the movement, but externally everything is at least as good quality. Not as good as an investment though.

There seem to be quite a few owners on here and they are generally very highly regarded. I have read their GMT watch is the easiest/best one to use.

Some of their designs are lovely for me the only thing that puts me off is the pricing seems to be a bit all over the place and discounts so huge I can’t help but think twice before buying. That and I have also heard their customer service can be a bit hit and miss.

Craftsman
    I really like the Ulysse Nardin Executive dual time. Came close to buying a couple of times as can be picked up comparably cheaply used. I've just never managed to commit. I think it's fear of being stuck with it for a long time if I don't gel with it that deters me. I also really like the maxi marines however when I tried one on I found the watch sat funny on my wrist due to the position of the metal part of the rubber strap.

Some fantastic deals can be had at Bicester Village on UN. Can't remember name of shop but stocks UN and GP. Can get around 40% of.

Apart from a few of the planer / simpler design dive watches they don't really appeal.

Generally just too fussy.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Friend of mine has a UN 42mm diver. Looks solid and nicely executed, but somehow missing wow factor for me.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=

Some fantastic deals can be had at Bicester Village on UN. Can't remember name of shop but stocks UN and GP. Can get around 40% of.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see that store last time I was there (it was on the corner at the end wasn't it?) Do you know if it moved or closed?

Journeyman
    [QUOTE. I also really like the maxi marines however when I tried one on I found the watch sat funny on my wrist due to the position of the metal part of the rubber strap.

[/QUOTE]

You can get them on a steel bracelet. (I had the same issue)

Journeyman
    I´ve had some in my hands, nice watches. But not for everyone I guess. They make some insane pieces... like the Freak.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lambs View Post
    I didn't see that store last time I was there (it was on the corner at the end wasn't it?) Do you know if it moved or closed?
    Just googled it, the store is still there and called Time and Gems and yeah its on the corner, although not at the end.

Craftsman
    I am somewhat baffled by their design language. Some of their models have a conventional dial design/configuration but weird hand choices. Yet there are others where it's the reverse.

This thread needs pictures - what watches embody this brand?

Master
    This was mine - built like a tank with a bracelet to match.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This was mine - built like a tank with a bracelet to match.

Always fancied trying one of those.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Always fancied trying one of those.
    Yeah me too, always loved the pattern on the dial with the silver dial specifically
    Dan

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s the maxi diver that has caught my eye.

Master
    I had one of the rhodium dial ones as shown above.. It was very solid, a great timekeeper and the lume was like a torch but used to give me crown dig so was not that comfortable..

Master
    I tried one on when on holiday last year, loved the look of the chrono in the window but on the wrist it became a no no, pity as I seem to remember it was a good deal offered. but, another model different look who knows.

Journeyman
    my two

the dual time is perfectly regulated and beats every other watch I have for timekeeping accuracy
    Last edited by Guycord; 24th January 2020 at 21:33.

Master
    I have these.

Do UN use in house movements?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I believe so.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    The Maxi Marines were modified ETA's but they might be in house now ?

Master
    Here's my more aesthetically challenging Dual Time.

Love it to bits.

Master
    I've always got a soft spot for the Perpetual GMT+/-

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Just googled it, the store is still there and called Time and Gems and yeah its on the corner, although not at the end.
    Pretty sure it's moved from it's old Corner Location to a central Corner Location near SuperDry...

A

Journeyman
    This is a rly slippery brand...In terms of resale

Master
    I really fancy the Freak X. Perfect size and a real talking piece, not boring like the rolex I usually wear. Still a little pricy but if one comes along at a nice discount, I'm sold.

The Diver 42 is also a great looking diver, only caveat is the 2892 ebauche which I'm not fond of, but it does have UN proprietary silicon escapement... Also keenly priced, with a nice mesh bracelet available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zielony View Post
    This is a rly slippery brand...In terms of resale
    This just makes it more accessible 2nd hand. You do have to be prepared to buy from eastern block countries though as they are incredibly popular there.
    I got mine at a fantastic price from Poland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Ulysse Nardin

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    It’s the maxi diver that has caught my eye.
    There is a MM blue diver on SC not sure if sold, seemed to struggle a bit and was half tempted. They don’t hold value but if picked up at a good price a lot of watch for the money in my opinion.

Craftsman
    How big are they, it looks a big watch.

Journeyman
    Had a marine chronometer in house for a while and loved the level of craftsmanship, have a look at the dial side finishing of the un 118 movement to see how much effort they put in to their watches.

Currently thinking of the 44mm marine diver in titanium, Its probably the best value and most unique dive watch around even without going grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    I really fancy the Freak X. Perfect size and a real talking piece, not boring like the rolex I usually wear. Still a little pricy but if one comes along at a nice discount, I'm sold.

Have to agree. The Freak is the one. Absolutely love it and would have one in a heartbeat for the right money.
    There's one member on this forum who has an extremely limited edition Maxi Marine Diver that I love but he (rightly) didn't want to sell it to me when we had the discussion. I'll let him post details if he wishes. You basically can't even find photos of it online, bizarrely. Lovely things IMHO, and great quality to match.

Master

If you do find yourself at Bicester, I just received notification from Amex that of you use their card and spend £500 or more you get £50 back.