closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Non fault car crash - Hire car questions

Non fault car crash - Hire car questions

Yesterday I was involved in a non fault crash that will most likely end up with my car being a write-off, I had my two young children in the car at the time and thankfully they are ok. My insurance has suggested I will have the hire car they are providing until a payout is made then I will need to return it. If this is the case I will obviously be without a car for a period of time before I manage to buy another. What is the norm here? I have legal expenses cover so would I privately rent until I found a car and charge it to the other persons insurance. Also what if they for example paid out £2K but a similar replacement from a dealer is £3k would I be able to recover the £1k difference?

My experience of non-fault car provision, under a fully comprehensive insurance policy, was that the insurance company arranged it through Eurohire and I spent two months driving around in a mixture of cars, ranging from a Ford Ka to a Volvo V70, whilst we haggled over a settlement. Once the settlement was agreed, I received a cheque and handed the hire car back. It was a pain in the arse having to go back and forwards to the hire premises but I did get to cruise around in some lovely motors. The insurance company dealt with the costs and these were recovered through the claim against the other party.

You can ask them to pay you the equivalent of what hire car will cost them. A friend of mine was offered £70 a day.

By law, you are only entitled to a replacement hire car until your own car has been replaced, or you have received payment for your car if it is a write off. Once you have the payment then the hire car has to go back.

Best thing to do is to start having a look around before your claim payment is settled, if you are lucky, you'll be able to have your next car lined up and ready to pick up as soon as you get your payment.

As per previous comments...

However I was in a bmw when hit and they offered to deal with the “accident management” of it - they had a whole service doing it

This ensured my car was fixed by bmw and I too Drove every make and model for months whilst it was all sorted

Not sure if it still exists, but your insurers should be able to sort it all at the other insurers expense

Master
    You’ll need to do your homework on the true value of your car, they will have a figure for what it’s worth in there eyes, your thoughts could be a long way from there’s. Get auto trader adds printed, anything on garage sales and eBay to build a case for what you think it’s worth. That way when and off the do write it off, get there figure and if it’s wildly different you can say it’s worth X on the market today that’s what I want. After you get the money it’s no longer there problem just treat it like it’s broken down and you need a replacement.

Never believe who’s liable till you get a letter from the insurance company admitting it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I found it all bit of a long winded, overly complicated farce when someone rear ended me - completely non fault. I was still driving around in my vehicle until it failed an mot due to damage as result of accident.Rather than sanction and pay for a repair, they put me in a hire vehicle which cost near £2k. Madness.

Insurers moved me over to their own in-house AMC, which to me is designed to rack up the claim, rather than deal with it as quick and as cheap as possible.

Obviously you will be entitled to hire vehicle until settled, but at the shear cost, you would think it would be in everyones interest to settle everything ASAP.

Try going directly with the third party insurers. They will bend over backwards to help you and will try to stop you going to an accident management company.

They will give you a like for like vehicle at no cost to yourself. It won’t be credit hire either which will keep costs low for them. If you wish, they will also deal with the write off of your vehicle too and deal with you directly rather than having your own insurers involved.

Thanks for all the advice. My insurance have been great and I actually ended up making £800 on the car after I received a payout! I collect my new car tomorrow. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I will obviously be without a car for a period of time before I manage to buy another.
    Glad to see you got it wrapped quite efficiently in what.........7 days, with an 800 nicker downpayment towards your new wheels.

Who was you insured with ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Glad to see you got it wrapped quite efficiently in what.........7 days, with an 800 nicker downpayment towards your new wheels.

Who was you insured with ?
    I'm with Churchill who have been great and I'm pleased I can now move on. It was a very straight forward non fault claim though and the other side accepted responsibility there and then. Who wasn't great was Green flag who left me waiting for a recovery for over 4 hours!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I'm with Churchill who have been great and I'm pleased I can now move on. It was a very straight forward non fault claim though and the other side accepted responsibility there and then. Who wasn't great was Green flag who left me waiting for a recovery for over 4 hours!
    Don't know about Green Flag in particular but didn't think accident recovery was usually covered by the breakdown services.

Journeyman
    Generally, if you are NOT at fault, you can call the other party’s insurance and tell them you would like to know what the limits are on getting a rental, as your car is not drive-able. They may have a contract with a local rental agency and you can get the car. Sometimes they will reimburse you. I have to get a story when doing car rental Malaga.
    Last edited by Derrils; 27th February 2020 at 15:28.

Craftsman
    I had a non fault incident - young lad reversed into my parked 9 month old Cayman. My insurance company said they would deal with it and I would get a Porsche hire car etc etc. Was called by his insurer who said they would settle direct and get me a car and pay me £250.for not using a claim management company. The basis for this was the claim management companies keep you in the hire car longer and they told me they charge out the hire car at a much higher rate. Overall this approach is what pushes everyone's premium up..... Whilst the people that make out of it are the insurance company. / claim management company.

I had a no fault and dealt direct with insurer of the 3rd party. Got the repair where I wanted and hire car from the garage while it was in for repair.

Initially they tried to use their repairer so I said had already been approached by claims management company and they quickly agreed to my choice of repairer (Audi approved) which is all I wanted.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I had a no fault and dealt direct with insurer of the 3rd party. Got the repair where I wanted and hire car from the garage while it was in for repair.

Initially they tried to use their repairer so I said had already been approached by claims management company and they quickly agreed to my choice of repairer (Audi approved) which is all I wanted.
    Cart rental services basically provide the best car on rents for short term and long term periods. Enterprise car rental San Diego service is important for people who require a temporary vehicle, who is not able to buy their own car, who is out of city, or whose cars are damaged.
    Last edited by Derrils; 3rd April 2020 at 14:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrils View Post
    Hmm....
    Grrrr...