closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko

Master

Damasko

After much deliberation I've almost settled on my next watch, and it looks like it might be a Damasko.
    I'm still trying to decide which model but probably either a DA46 or a DSub1.
    With there not being masses of dealers are discounts possible?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    Have messaged you.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    New is always nice but great value second hand given how resistant to marks their cases are.
    I've never considered the Dsub1 range as I prefer the aesthetics of the DA46/47 and know where I stand with the cases but if the extra water resistance is useful or you prefer the style and a slightly larger watch then I'm sure it'll not disappoint.
    Now I've noticed the different steel used for both I'm going to have to go away to understand the differences!
    Last edited by deepreddave; 23rd January 2020 at 11:32. Reason: Spelling

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got a ds30 last year,dealer in Germany was slightly cheaper than uk sellers.

Not much chance of discount on a new one, but as above, used is possibly the way to go (if you have the patience to wait for the one you want) given how robust they are.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I agree about preferring the aesthetics of the DA46/47.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I've noticed the different steel used for both I'm going to have to go away to understand the differences!
    I think the DA steel is ice-hardened to resist knocks and scratches, etc. Whereas the DSub steel isn’t, but is instead more resistant to corrosion from salt water.

The DC80 is interesting, the DC86 even more so.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Funnily enough my goal for this year is a DA36 which I have hankered after for over 10 years at least. Madness really but I hope it's worth the wait

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Funnily enough my goal for this year is a DA36 which I have hankered after for over 10 years at least. Madness really but I hope it's worth the wait
    Brilliant watch, I had one and it was the most commented on watch I've had.
    You won't regret buying one but I regret selling mine. I will buy another one day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Brilliant watch, I had one and it was the most commented on watch I've had.
    You won't regret buying one but I regret selling mine. I will buy another one day.
    Thanks and that's good to know. I don't think I'll get the bracelet as much as I like how it looks, just the leather strap.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Thanks and that's good to know. I don't think I'll get the bracelet as much as I like how it looks, just the leather strap.
    I’ve had a 37 as a daily beater for years. It still looks new... it’s number 0008!
    J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've ordered a custom DC56 with different hands. Still 2-4 weeks before it comes. Been wanting a Damasko for years and finally decided to make the move. Probably the best value for money European watchmaker out there.
    Chronomaster has good prices.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    I’ve had a 37 as a daily beater for years. It still looks new... it’s number 0008!
    J.

Mine's number 0007.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The DC80 is interesting, the DC86 even more so.
    DC80 / 82 is extremely appealing - best-executed center-chrono design to my eyes, bar none.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    I've ordered a custom DC56 with different hands. Still 2-4 weeks before it comes. Been wanting a Damasko for years and finally decided to make the move. Probably the best value for money European watchmaker out there.
    Chronomaster has good prices.

Out of curiosity, what hands did you go for? I find the DC56 the most desirable Damasko.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Out of curiosity, what hands did you go for? I find the DC56 the most desirable Damasko.
    They will likely be DC66 hands, abraxas had one like this some years ago.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    They will likely be DC66 hands, abraxas had one like this some years ago.
    I once saw (on the internet) a DC56 with an orange small seconds hand, but I have looked high and low and on other watch forums, but can't find the image anywhere. ( did I dream this?) It looked rather good too.

I once saw (on the internet) a DC56 with an orange small seconds hand, but I have looked high and low and on other watch forums, but can't find the image anywhere. ( did I dream this?) It looked rather good too.
    This one?

DCJ56DL

Craftsman
    Don't want to say without receiving it first! Haha
    But looks like it will satisfy your tastes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This one?

DCJ56DL
    Very similar but a 56 with only the small seconds. That one looks good though, never seen that model before.

Master
    Don't want to say without receiving it first! Haha
    But looks like it will satisfy your tastes.

pics as soon as possible please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This one?

DCJ56DL
    That's a bit daft really, it should be all three chrono hands if anything to differentiate them from the time only hands. That said, the muted orange is a good colour for this, I hope it becomes available on the DC86, which was a garish green last time I looked.
    F.T.F.A.

Damasko

Worn and wound has a nice (older) podcast on Damasko which I found interesting. A lot of information on what they do in house and why.

Well this thread has been the nail in the coffin of my finances, as I am in the process of ordering this:

The eagle-eyed Damaskophiles amongst you will notice that no such watch actually exists, however Damasko have been very accommodating with my request to exchange the chronograph hands of the standard DC80 with a red set, and to swap the bezel for that of the DC67 - specifically the 12-hour marker version so that I could track elapsed hours alongside minutes and seconds.

I love the purity of the DC80's design, but felt the chronograph hands needed more definition, and simply prefer the DC66-7 bezels aesthetically and functionally.

I've heard a poor report of Damasko customer service from a source I greatly respect - so much so, that I spent ages trying to convince myself to buy a Sinn instead, but in the end I just couldn't fall in love with the 140 (I wanted a centre-minute chrono and hardened steel casework), and must say Damasko could not have been more helpful nor more prompt in responding.

Which is nice.

Right... I had better try to sell some stuff, then...!

Standard DC80 for comparison...

NB: Free, no-expenses paid walking holiday to Hubei for the first person who says "prefer this version"...

Craftsman
    pics as soon as possible please.
    Here you go mate!
    Really love it.

Here you go mate!
    Really love it.
    That is very bloody nice!

Having been bitten hard by the bug, and since my order is on hold during the COVID shutdown, I "accidentally" bought this from this forum...

It is by some margin my New Favourite Thing

Master
    My recent pick up...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That is very bloody nice!

Having been bitten hard by the bug, and since my order is on hold during the COVID shutdown, I "accidentally" bought this from this forum...

It is by some margin my New Favourite Thing
    Haha nice accidental purchase! I tried on the white one, it's really nice.
    Is your other order also a Damasko?

Journeyman
    Standard DC80 for comparison...

NB: Free, no-expenses paid walking holiday to Hubei for the first person who says "prefer this version"...
    Ill pack an FFP3 mask in my case, I prefer the white. Dont like the Bezel though. Would go for the hourly bezel.

Had a dc56 and a da37 ages ago.

The 56 was ace but scratched more easilly than i expected. The DA37 was bombproof. 4 years in heavy civils on site every day. No scratches. May have been the depth of the case to be fair.

Is your other order also a Damasko?

Bespoke DC80 with DC67 hands and bezel. Damasko were very happy to take-on a one-off like this, very modest additional charge.

Craftsman

Bespoke DC80 with DC67 hands and bezel. Damasko were very happy to take-on a one-off like this, very modest additional charge.
    That is very nice!
    Yes a very modest charge, it was a charge per hand for me.

That’s a nice tweak, Earl.

Thanks chaps, can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it!

I’m fast coming to the conclusion that I really do need a DC56!

D

Thanks chaps, can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it!
    Really looking forward to seeing the watch in the flesh, as it were. I think I'll get a DC80 this summer, having sold my DC66 recently.

Master
    Here you go mate!
    Really love it.

Very nice, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing the watch in the flesh, as it were. I think I'll get a DC80 this summer, having sold my DC66 recently.
    Standard model, or tweaked to taste? Having seen the success of @Faiz watch, I'm pleased about taking this path now.

Ordered some one-piece straps from George's Straps to play around with - expected one to be a standout, but frankly like 'em all!

Standard model, or tweaked to taste? Having seen the success of @Faiz watch, I'm pleased about taking this path now.

Ordered some one-piece straps from George's Straps to play around with - expected one to be a standout, but frankly like 'em all!

Seeing the pics of the DC57's in this thread make me miss my old one.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Well the custom DC80 took an age to come - thanks COVID - and when it did come, it had the wrong bezel! Twice! Got there in the end though:

On a Hirsch "Robbie" strap -

Then onto Damasko's own double-stitched leather with hardened steel deployment:

And finally - after discovering that I had entirely misunderstood how to actually dismantle the thing - onto the manufactory bracelet, which is awesome:

I would be equally happy with any of the above options - the straps actually showcase the watch-head's minimalism better to my eyes, while the bracelet gives it more authority and physical presence. The bracelet is beautifully engineered (my pics don't begin to do it justice) and mainly comfortable, albeit the inner edges of the links could do with just a little more rounding to be absolutely comfortable. It does lack some adjustment finessing - just two slightly longer centre-links are supplied, but even when worn a little too loose, as I have it, the overall ergonomics are so well realised it just sits as it should without rotating on my wrist.

The watch itself is a thing of joy - I love the sheer clarity of the chronograph, the hands sit absolutely precisely and square to the marks, especially the second hand, and I could sit for hours watching the minute-counter slide gracefully onto the next mark in the last second of every minute. It may be 7750-based, but it's been very well re-engineered for Damasko's purposes.

I optioned the bidirectional 1-11 "pilot's" bezel insert so that I could time hours as well as minutes and seconds if I wished, and of course it lets you track a second time zone if you so need. The coarser-edged bezel was an aesthetic choice, but having had the coin-edge bezel on there as well, the coarser bezel is - unsurprisingly - a little easier to grip, too. The fact that this centre-minutes chronograph can be had with no date window cluttering things up is pleasing, but even better that I could have precisely the detailing colours I wanted, the exact bezel (eventually!) and bezel insert as well. Obviously having both counter hands in red makes at-a-glance timing super-simple. Customising added a fairly trivial extra cost.

If I have a misgiving, it's the high price of the bracelet - the watch itself I believe offers excellent value, especially as it's essentially unique at this marketplace tier (Sinn's EZM 1 is double the price - when they're making it - and it's all uphill from there) - but the bracelet at Eu695 is painful: you can buy some VERY nice watches for that! Flipside is that the bracelet's quality is genuinely superb - little things like the beautifully-executed titanium Torx screws, and the ceramic retainers in the fabulously minimalist, yet super-solid, clasp shout quality and restraint - never mind that it's all case-hardened to resist wear. Producing this sort of item to this quality is always going to be very expensive, and it's still only 2/3rds what a fairly ordinary Omega bracelet costs from a grey-reseller...

I should say that although Damasko cocked-up in a minor way, they were both very polite and very helpful (and apologetic!), and did all they could to put things right to my satisfaction; I know that hasn't been absolutely everybody's experience in the past, but I would certainly buy from them again.

The watch was certainly worth it.