closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Odd Business Practice.

Master

Odd Business Practice.

I ordered a complete Aquarium and cabinet set online (including external filter, LED lighting and heater) and it arrived last Thursday. Unfortunately the tank was damaged. I phoned the company to let them know and they asked me to send some photos which I did. I had a phone call later that day to say, no problem, we’ll get a new tank out to you next week. Good news.
    I get a phone call on the Monday from a company called Hagen, I think they own or distribute the Fluval aquarium that I have bought and they told me that I have two choices. I can arrange with them to have the damaged tank picked up or I can dispose of it myself and I can keep the bits and pieces. I asked what they meant by the bits and pieces and it turns out the new tank they sent me comes with another filter, another set of LED lights and another heater.
    A quick look online and to buy these items myself, would cost me a total of £320.
    How the hell can they be making money running a business like that. The original purchase was only £490.

A little strange.

I'm guessing their courier’s insurance is paying.

Journeyman
    Result for you!

Master
    Less hassle for them and a happy customer.

Sometimes a fast loss is the best loss.

In the bigger scheme of things, if damage rarely occurs, it won’t affect their bottom line.

A similar experience of mine, I ordered some items from Screwfix delivered but what I received was a completely different order, so I contacted them. They apologised and promised to get my items out to me the day. When I asked them what they wanted to arrange wrt the wrong stuff they’d sent they told me to just keep them.
    My order was about £30ish, the stuff they’d sent me was well over £100.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    A quick look online and to buy these items myself, would cost me a total of £320.
    How the hell can they be making money running a business like that. The original purchase was only £490.
    In addition to the comments above, it also depends on what it really costs them to make/buy those parts. If their purchase cost is, say, £15 then they really won't care.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    In addition to the comments above, it also depends on what it really costs them to make/buy those parts. If their purchase cost is, say, £15 then they really won't care.
    Well the external filter is a fluval 307. To buy that in a shop is £129 or so, I’d be very surprised if they were able to buy that in for £15.

Ooohhh fishy things on SC, will that be a first?

*joke*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hagen is a massive company so they probably are only paying £15 for it as they’ll order millions or either make them

Master
    A complete kit including cabinet would weight a fair bit, and probably be an oversized item with the courier, add in the collection charge by the courier and it may cost then £80-100 to get it back.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

You do know what you’re letting yourself in for don’t you? I kept a fluval 1m tank for well over 10 years, sold it a few years ago as I got tired, some may say lazy doing the weekly maintenance that it needs to keep the fish healthy and happy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Well the external filter is a fluval 307. To buy that in a shop is £129 or so, I’d be very surprised if they were able to buy that in for £15.
    Ok, £17. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    You do know what you’re letting yourself in for don’t you? I kept a fluval 1m tank for well over 10 years, sold it a few years ago as I got tired, some may say lazy doing the weekly maintenance that it needs to keep the fish healthy and happy.
    I started with a little 22L tank last October or so to see if I liked it (I did) then I bought a used 72L tank and now making the jump to a 240L. It’s doing the wife’s nut in, but I’m loving it so far.

Master
    The thing that has surprised me is why they didn’t just send a new tank. I don’t understand why they sent all the paraphernalia to go with it again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Ooohhh fishy things on SC, will that be a first?

*joke*

God no. Always good to keep some spares.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd imagine they'll buy the whole thing in as a unit. No use to them to have a few bits back to try to resell. Cheaper to simply claim from the courier and give you a tickle.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I'd imagine they'll buy the whole thing in as a unit. No use to them to have a few bits back to try to resell. Cheaper to simply claim from the courier and give you a tickle.
    I’m extremely happy. I thought I was misunderstanding the bloke over the phone so I had to ask him to explain it twice.

I suppose the simple answer is that they have probably outsourced inventory management and shipping to an external party and it's cheaper to throw returned items away than to negotiate a process for it, which would have to include checking the items for completeness, proper functioning and damages.

99% of your Amazon returns get destroyed, too risky for them to ship them again as the next customer might complain about a missing cable or - the horror - the protective stickers having been removed.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.