closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Going to buy a rowing machine - any tips?

Master

Going to buy a rowing machine - any tips?

Hi

Seriously thinking of buying myself a rowing machine - a Concept2 Model D to be specific. In my gym going days this was the piece of equipment I probably used most often.

Like the fact that it can be taken apart if needed and that it connects to a phone app - means that if a few of us at home use it we can have our own logs etc. Oh and the build quality.

Question is really about where to buy it from? I can get a discount at Argos through a friend so that saves 10% on the (not inconsiderable) price. Any pros/cons buying from Argos for something like this?

Also, any advice or experience about having a rowing machine at home would be useful.

Cheers

Craftsman
    I've had a rowing machine, bike and treadmill. Out of all of them, my GP strongly advised against the rowing machine after I had spinal problems requiring fusion. Now it's just the treadmill as that gets my whole body moving.

Craftsman
    Having an erg at home is a great advantage in terms of easy on/off compared with going to the gym. Do not underestimate however the size (in reality, most likely you will not take it apart ;-). Also the noise, even from a model D, is substantial.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Having an erg at home is a great advantage in terms of easy on/off compared with going to the gym. Do not underestimate however the size (in reality, most likely you will not take it apart ;-). Also the noise, even from a model D, is substantial.

It's the ease of use compared to going to the gym that really appeals.
    I was looking at the recommended size and clearance earlier and it was a lot longer than I expected. Having said that, we have a large shed we could place it in and that will negate the noise issues. Different issue will be getting the shed warm!

Craftsman
    Another tip to pass the boring long haul 60 minutes+ sessions: place an iPad with Netflix on a tripod next to the erg .

Journeyman
    Bought a model d 2.5 years ago when moved house. Have to confess it could have had more use but I like having it for the odd blast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I was looking at the recommended size and clearance earlier and it was a lot longer than I expected. Having said that, we have a large shed we could place it in and that will negate the noise issues. Different issue will be getting the shed warm!
    If you want to use it indoors look at a Waterrower: they are much quieter & can be stood on end to store them. There's a recent thread running about them.

Master
    Plenty on eBay so i am sure one will be close.
    Best way to get a very good price for one that has not been used

Craftsman

Going to buy a rowing machine - any tips?

As documented in the waterrower thread I resurrected I wanted to get an erg recently and at first thought c2, but ended up going for a waterrower. Itís only been a week, but itís brilliant and worth considering.

Been doing half an hour in front of netflix box sets each morning before work, tactic being Iím only allowed to watch them while rowing - it flies by.

I should add that the info isnít as good, thereís no log like a c2 and if you want connectivity to an app it seems youíre spending £70 on a Bluetooth adapter. So thatís not great!
    Last edited by greenandblack; 22nd January 2020 at 23:23.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting the shed warm! Had one for many years at home and the best all round piece of equipment you can have at home I think. I'd probably look to get a lightly used one on eBay. Plenty of people buy them and don't use them.

Got to say I don't understand the 'watching Netflix' box set brigade. Can only guess at the level of effort (or lack of it) that makes that a viable proposition!

Get a secondhand one. Plenty around. Then when you sell it after A) not using it B) Mrs telling you it makes the place look untidy C) house-mates complain about the noise, you won't lose too much money.

Donít take it on the water
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

Have had a concept 2 for three years now. Brilliant but if kit. It does take up quite a bit of room when down. You can split it for storage but Iíve never bothered and test against the garage/gym wall.

Got mine of eBay refurbished for a steal. There are companies that provide this there or buy private.

One recommendation is get on with the pm5 monitor if you can or factor buying separate. It allows you to connect to phone via Bluetooth. I use the LiveRowing app which allows you to creat workouts or use theirs and really helps on longer rows.

I was training for a rowing marathon last year spent quite a bit of time on it!!

Unless you have a dedicated room for it and plenty of dedication to go visit it there on a daily basis, I would advise to consider a Waterrower instead. The Concept2 is ugly and very noisy, zero chance you will (be allowed to) keep it in the living room over time. That's where the 'out of sight, out of mind' risk kicks in.

Grand Master
    eBay or Facebook marketplace.Plenty their owners have got fed up with!.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Unless you have a dedicated room for it and plenty of dedication to go visit it there on a daily basis, I would advise to consider a Waterrower instead. The Concept2 is ugly and very noisy, zero chance you will (be allowed to) keep it in the living room over time. That's where the 'out of sight, out of mind' risk kicks in.
    +1 to that

I have/had both - the waterrower is far easier to store when not in use - you just stand it up in the corner

I gave the concept 2 to my son after we moved to a smaller house

Craftsman
    Iíve had both And while the waterrower aesthetics are better I like the Concept 2 far more to use (regardless of how much more like rowing the Waterrower allegedly is).

Master
    Thanks all.

Some really useful insights and experiences shared. I was going to quote some of the responses, but decided there were too many so I'll try and cover them here.

If we get one, it'll be a Concept2, with the PM5 monitor as its closest to what I've used before and I like the data and workouts you can get as standard and being able to link to an app. It might start off inside the house, but will find another home son after i'm sure.

The used ones I've seen seem to be quite expensive, so if I can get the Argos discount then a new one seems a better option.

The Waterrower undoubtedly looks better and the design is more appealing, but I like the Concept2 - mainly as I've used them before.

I won't be using it on water.

I bought the C2 Model E from new many years ago. I use it in the sitting room and store it upright between use, doesnít take up that much space for me (seat post hides behind the door). I wear headphones and watch TV when rowing so donít notice the noise. Never tried a water rower.

Craftsman
    New to rowing, bought the concept E rower and well pleased, canít speak for other brands but quality is top notch

Bought from Argos where daughter works when they had a 15% discount offer so if you have a family/friend connection then worth a consideration when offers come along

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    New to rowing, bought the concept E rower and well pleased, canít speak for other brands but quality is top notch

Bought from Argos where daughter works when they had a 15% discount offer so if you have a family/friend connection then worth a consideration when offers come along
    I do have a friend connection at Argos - I think standard discount is 10%? Do they sometimes run offers where you can get more F&F discount or was it in a sale? Just wondering if its worth waiting as they're not cheap!

I went for a waterrower for all the reasons already stated. A rowing machine is probably unlikely to get huge use if kept in on I heated outbuilding...

Craftsman
    I have only ever used two, a cheap £150 one from Argos and the proper Gym quality concept ones.

I preferred the cheapo one except from the seat was much better on the expensive one.

Maybe try and have a go on a few different types is my point to see what you like best.

Craftsman
    I do have a friend connection at Argos - I think standard discount is 10%? Do they sometimes run offers where you can get more F&F discount or was it in a sale? Just wondering if its worth waiting as they're not cheap!
    They had an offer of 15% when I bought, however just in the run up to Christmas there was a 20% offer so guessing if prepared to wait then they do pop up, also note my daughter works for Sainsbury which is part of the Argos group

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    They had an offer of 15% when I bought, however just in the run up to Christmas there was a 20% offer so guessing if prepared to wait then they do pop up, also note my daughter works for Sainsbury which is part of the Argos group
    Thanks Iíll keep an eye out while I also see what is available used.

ive owned a few rowing machines -if you really want one (and think you will use it on a regular basis ) then the only ones worth buying are the concept 2 rowers (and maybe a few high end water rowers) - in the past ive killed 2 cheap rowers (£300/500 each ) - parts break and you cant fix them, concept 2 rowers you can get any parts that break.
    my real advise would be to join a gym - where they will have multiple machines for you to play on so you dont get bored - most rowers people buy for home end up as expensive clothes hangers.

I row 4 /5 times a week, used a concept 2 for 10 years but now use the a rower, so much smoother and quieter. Love it