closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Beetle watch

Beetle watch

No not McCartney and Ringo but the bug type. Seems we’ve got a spider thread, think we need a creepy crawly thread.
    Since moving 5 miles up the road I’m seeing some bugs I haven’t seen for year
    So here’s a few I stumbled upon recently.

Fruit? Weevil

May bug

And this evening a stunning violet ground beetle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great images, the weevil especially. Wonderful details missed by the naked eye.

We’ve had a lady stag beetle the last couple of evenings, must be a little stupid as it flys low and our even stupider cat knocks it out the sky. We then save it and put it over next doors fence. Then report it on the beetle web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    No not McCartney and Ringo but the bug type. Seems we’ve got a spider thread, think we need a creepy crawly thread.
    Since moving 5 miles up the road I’m seeing some bugs I haven’t seen for year
    So here’s a few I stumbled upon recently.

And this evening a stunning violet ground beetle.
    What an absolute stunner - these have been becoming rare in some areas, we seem to have the occasional good year for them here, and then rather more when you don't see one. A real gardener's friend, as they tackle all sorts of pests, including slugs.

The weevil's not so good, as it looks to be a vine weevil, and they are death to potted plants or plants in dry borders.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    What an absolute stunner - these have been becoming rare in some areas, we seem to have the occasional good year for them here, and then rather more when you don't see one. A real gardener's friend, as they tackle all sorts of pests, including slugs.

The weevil's not so good, as it looks to be a vine weevil, and they are death to potted plants or plants in dry borders.
    I live just round the corner now from where i grew up and I remember the old man saying that the large beetles were great for the garden as they were slug killers.
    I’ll take note about the weevils as we’ve got quite a few flowering plants in pots.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 22nd June 2020 at 21:20.

Had this lesser stag beetle say hello the other day. Lovely creature.