closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend a buggy!

Craftsman

Recommend a buggy!

My wife and I are expecting our first in July:)

I've been tasked with the job of finding a suitable buggy. Ideally, we'd like a 3 in 1 - car seat/newborn/infant buggy. I've spent some time online researching, but my head it spinning due to information overload!

It's hard to know where to start, so I would be grateful if people could recommend some brands brands and I'll work from there! :)

Craftsman
    Have posted in the wrong forum, and cannot delete. Would be grateful if the mods could move it to G&D.

Is this place turning into Mumsnet 😂

Master
    Congratulations!

We opted for a baby jogger city tour lux, essentially it’s a buggy in between the yoyo and the bugaboo chameleon. Small enough to carry around but robust enough to go over some tough terrain. Have a carry cot and the normal seat, both of which fold into the frame. Separately purchased maxi cosí cabriofix with isofix base, the pushchair has adapters so we can use the frame to mount the maxi cosí car seat.

It’s a minefield out there with a buggy for everyone. Nows a good time to start looking around and testing all of them! Really think about your day to day life and how you will use it.

A yoyo is super practical for the city and when you travel a lot but any rough terrain it’s a no go. A bugaboo chameleon is super comfy for long walks in the park and cobblestones etc but it’s quite bulky to put in and out of the car Everyday

Good luck !

Master
    Jane rider was superb for us and had a swivel isofix base that made it a lot easier than most to put our daughter in the car. Also comes with suspension to make it a bit more comfortable, folds down to a small cube and the wheels can come off, hand brake and not foot brake etc etc

And of course... congratulations.

Master
    if you think you might have more kids think about some of the buggies that convert to tandem, or you have a big purchase in the future too. (for example, the icandy peach, for about £25 for adapters it converts to the peach blossom, the icandy also fits maxi-cosi car seats iirc) . We went with the icandy and a Joie car seat which clipped into the base of the pram with the maxi-cosi adapters.

if the other half will accept it, look on ebay. seriously. you can spend high hundreds or more on just a buggy, new. many are only lightly used, second hand you could easily save 2/3rds the cost to then spend the extra on other stuff for the little'un.

be prepared to get a maclaren/lightweight foldable pushchair when the little'un becomes a lot bigger and heavier...a lot of buggy plus a toddler is heavy, especially for mum, and definitely if mum is expecting again or a bit less fit than she once was after pregnancy and a year of looking after a baby.

Congratulations!

get as much sleep now as you can!

enjoy it!

Don’t waste your money, you’ll hardly use these fancy ‘systems’ - just get a car seat and a MacLaren - and a cheap pram which you’ll probably use about 5 times in total!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The only thing I'd buy new would be a car seat. We bought all our prams and strollers 2nd hand as people seem to change them every few months for some reason.

I'd not recommend using a 'travel system' where you can take the car seat and attach it to the pram base overly much, for short trips fine but I read somewhere that keeping your child in a seated position while they are small can be harmful, get a pram they can lie down in if they are going to be in it for a while.

I'd also not recommend anything with 3 wheels, they just aren't that stable and a wonky paving slab or kerb can tip one over quite easily.

If you or your wife are tall make sure the handle adjusts high enough, there is nothing worse than going for a nice family walk and half way through your back twinges out because you are bent over in order to push the damn chair. This was my biggest problem, being 6'2" very few prams handles went high enough to be comfy. The most comfortable was a bugaboo of some sort which was great, but a bit of a monster that the wife turned her nose up at, so back pain it was for me.

I don't regret going all in with with a Bugaboo (which will have re-sale value if you decide to sell).
    Also added Maxi cosi car seats and then moved to a Recaro, we spent a fortune and used every piece for both kids. Excellent quality and safety.

Congratulations.

I was going to open my wallet and buy an expensive pushchair. A colleague advised to go cheap and cheerful as possible. Also pushchairs whilst light to push around are a complete pain in the neck and heavy when trying to fold away and put in the boot of the car whilst it's raining and you have shopping to also pack.

I bought a Chicco travel lite and it done the job. It was not to bulky and fitted in the porch folded (not Porsche).

Craftsman
    We bought a bugaboo chameleon for number 1 then sold that and bought the donkey duo when number 2 came along.
    In hindsight I should have purchased the donkey mono first and just added the extra seat, ah well!

For car seat I bought the Joie iLevel as it allows them to lay nearly flat which is better for them when they're tiny. You can buy an adapter to fit it to the donkey too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Buy a mint secondhand one off fb or somesuch. But don't tell anyone, even (especially) your Mrs

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the recommendations folks, very helpful.

Master
    I'd second Bugaboo. Really nice quality and comfy to use for you and the nipper.

And definbitely buy used, apart from the car seat.

Master
    Just to add to the excitement!!! :0)

Last edited by redmonaco; 24th January 2020 at 13:21.

The answer is clearly an MX-5.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Is this place turning into Mumsnet 
    totally - on many fronts.

Journeyman
    Thought the title meant something like this!xHU8OjrF.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'd recommend the Oyster 3, very good system, we got ours with a maxi cosi car seat.

Lots of people say don't bother with the pram but we used ours loads before he outgrew it and we would have been much more limited in what we could do without it.

My main recommendation would be to ge to an independent store with lots of options and try them... some will suit you and some won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The answer is clearly an MX-5.
    Into which a Recaro child seat fits perfectly. Both my son and daughter love going out in it with the roof off, although not at the same time. And not with a pushchair.

Sadly when my wife rushed out to the 'Baby Show' or whatever it was called, probably at the NEC or Olympia, to spend her father's money on a nice new Bugaboo pram, upright seat for when you want a pushchair rather than pram, Isofix base and seat for said base (with converters to allow it to attach to the Bugaboo), she forgot to do what I'd have done and check if all of it fitted in her car. We have a four-year-old and a 16-month-old and only now number 2 is out of a baby car seat and sitting upright, with no Isofix base, can we go anywhere in the wife's Fiat 500. It all fits in my Subaru Forester but the pram base and seat don't half take up a load of space in the boot. If your (or your wife's) car has a small boot, check first. We have friends with a Golf and they had to have a buggy/pram base thing that has removable wheels so they can get it in.

The Bugaboo is very good for pushing a child around, the 16-month-old is still being transported in it rather than the rattly Maclaren stroller thing, and my wife frequently pushes it 4+ miles per day. For shorter distances though the Maclaren is perfect and folds down better. We (she) definitely over-bought with the Bugaboo stuff but it has been very good.

Good luck.
    "A man of little significance"