closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garage conversion to a bedroom

Garage conversion to a bedroom

Having the above done in the spring hopefully pretty straight forward (famous last words ]
    Anyone done this before and got some advice and words of wisdom after the event ?
    It’s a big garage attached to the house want an en-suite Any must haves and dos ?
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Having the above done in the spring hopefully pretty straight forward (famous last words ]
    Anyone done this before and got some advice and words of wisdom after the event ?
    It’s a big garage attached to the house want an en-suite Any must haves and dos ?
    Andy
    I don't know how the garage is constructed but for residential it will need to be a cavity wall and no doubt the insulation will need to be uprated. I looked at converting a garage into a granny flat, it wasn't possible to create a cavity wall outside and doing it inside would have considerably reduced the space.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Nooooooo, a crime against nature. Buy an interesting car / bike / bicycle / thing and store it in it.

Where else will you hide from your family.

Blog Entries
    It will also probably up your council tax band.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I don't know how the garage is constructed but for residential it will need to be a cavity wall and no doubt the insulation will need to be uprated. I looked at converting a garage into a granny flat, it wasn't possible to create a cavity wall outside and doing it inside would have considerably reduced the space.

Eddie
    Yes the outside wall is one brick thick so think will have insulate then board the inside so reducing size. Never thought about that tbh

Allow for a planning permission fee for "change of use" in your budget summary.
    Don't be tempted to put a suspended timber floor in, use concrete with insulation beneath it.
    As has been said, wall insulation again, may need improving if it's a cavity wall construction. Thermal values from when it was built may be short of what's asked for today.
    It's a fairly straightforward task all told just don't get your pants pulled down on costs.

Will have to dig the concrete floor up as well so the floor is level with the house as the bedroom door will be just inside my front door in the hallwaY

Blog Entries
    Good point about the cavity wall and insulation. However, there's perhaps an alternative. https://thermoshielduk.com Highly rated in Germany (with very strict building rules)

Master
    Don't forget to take the car out before you brick up the doorway! :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Nooooooo, a crime against nature. Buy an interesting car / bike / bicycle / thing and store it in it.
    My thoughts exactly! Many of the modern 4 bed detached houses near me have had garages converted into additional rooms, partly because the garages are too damned small to fit a modern car in, yet houses continue to be built this way. My garage is 8'6" x 17' internal, big enough to fit a 1970 MGB in and just big enough to work in, albeit with a struggle. Integral garages are excellent for warmth etc but unless its a double width the're usually too small to be useful. People seem to value the internal space more so these conversions are popular.

I`m supposed to be moving house soon, but the process has become bogged down (no fault of mine), I`m looking forward to having a big garage etc and getting away from a modern cramped estate.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Good point about the cavity wall and insulation. However, there's perhaps an alternative. https://thermoshielduk.com Highly rated in Germany (with very strict building rules)
    Any evidence for this? Dubious semi-scientific claims on the website, looks like snake oil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Any evidence for this? Dubious semi-scientific claims on the website, looks like snake oil.
    My thoughts too, any gains will be marginal in my opinion because the film thickness will be too thin to make a significant difference to the U value. Can`t see it doing any harm though.