closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ensuite bathroom advice please

Master

Ensuite bathroom advice please

Was wondering if anyone had refurbed an ensuite bathroom lately? I’ve no idea on cost and I’ve initially budgeted £3-4K but wanted to know if I’m wildly out! The space is approx 2.5m x 2m and I’d like the full lot taking out and replacing with newer stuff (shower / sink / toilet / towel heater / floor and walls tiled (walls not currently tiled)).

I’d like everything in the same place as it is now so hoping the plumbing / electrics should be minimal. I’m planning to get a few quotes but wanted to know what ball park to expect first. Also, assuming it will be cheaper to source all the parts and materials myself but if it doesn’t make a massive difference I’d be happy for them to supply and fit to save the hassle. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone had refurbed an ensuite bathroom lately? I’ve no idea on cost and I’ve initially budgeted £3-4K but wanted to know if I’m wildly out! The space is approx 2.5m x 2m and I’d like the full lot taking out and replacing with newer stuff (shower / sink / toilet / towel heater / floor and walls tiled (walls not currently tiled)).

I’d like everything in the same place as it is now so hoping the plumbing / electrics should be minimal. I’m planning to get a few quotes but wanted to know what ball park to expect first. Also, assuming it will be cheaper to source all the parts and materials myself but if it doesn’t make a massive difference I’d be happy for them to supply and fit to save the hassle. Cheers!
    It doesn't sound too bad for where you are in the country and depending on tile cost and the fittings you choose could easily be done for that.

Labour will be around £2k I would suspect possibly less so its all down to the equipment after that.

Master
    I would suspect you would pay about £2-3k labour.
    The rest it up to you depending what level of fittings you go for. I think you could probably spend anything from £1.5k to £10k+ on the materials and fittings.
    One of the bathrooms we did recently probably cost about £6-8k in total if I was putting a rough estimate on it.

Master
    Costs will depend on where you are and exactly what spec you want but I think you are looking at £4.5k-£5k . I paid £5.5k for a ensuite refit (just outside london) that was a similar size. Fully tiled, large walk-in shower, toilet, sink all average quality, nothing high end. I got a few cheaper quotes and also got some at double that.

It will be cheaper to source your own stuff but if there are any issues/ you arent happy at the end it can be easy for a tradesman to blame the bits you have bought. something to consider.

I think you're near the 5 grand territory in my opinion.

Master
    And get it sound proofed........Nothing worse than listening to someone else having a dump😂

Craftsman
    I had the ensuite done in my flat about 2 years ago and it was around £6-7k materials and labour. Nothing moves, but old times ripped out and painted in some places with wetwall around the shower and tiling for own wall where the sink was. Didn't move anything and opted for mid-range fittings which was supplied by the tradesman who did all the fitting. The only thing we bought was paint.

Was probably a bigger bathroom too, roughly 6m x 2.5m. I'm based in Edinburgh. Hope that's helpful!

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

I had one en-suite bathroom updated 3 years ago, including sink, toilet, bath, heated mirrors, units, tiling and painting for just under £3k.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Thanks chaps - sounds like in or around the ball park. Think I'll get three quotes and see how they land. Hopeful £4k might cover it in my part of the country but we'll have to see.

Craftsman
    I did mine last year and one of the best things I did was get a Bauhaus LED mirror fitted with a heating element in it. Works a treat and never steams up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

OK, we are in Surrey & plumbers were very busy at the time & I wanted a single point of responsibility so the plumber sub-contracted the plasterer, tiler & electrician, but we spent a bit more (circa £6k) about 3 years ago without going at all mad.

We did fully tile the floor & walls with porcelain tiles & get a decent Aqualisa power shower but everything else was fairly modestly specified. No bath either, just a shower cubicle & no bidet or fancy bog. No underfloor heating.

and yes, I did get a couple of quotes - I am a QS after all & we bought the tiles ourselves so no mark-up for the plumber on those.

Things I wish we'd spent a little more on to be honest:-

1) We should have had a stabiliser board put down on the floor to stop the tiles moving / grout cracking.
    2) We have a quadrant shaped shower with curved doors but they are poly-carbonate (or some other plastic) rather than glass, so not as easy to keep clean.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    .......no bidet or fancy bog......
    One of the things I really regret about the last en suite we did was putting in a fancy bog - specifically one with a concealed cistern.

It looked brilliant, with just a plate on the wall to flush the toilet. However, when it goes wrong - and it will - you find that you need arms like a gibbon to work on the thing. That's assuming that the tiler was smart enough to leave some sort of removable access panel to get at the thing. If he didn't, you might be looking at breaking things to get access.

Next one we do, we'll have a 'bog standard' close coupled cistern and pan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Thanks chaps - sounds like in or around the ball park. Think I'll get three quotes and see how they land. Hopeful £4k might cover it in my part of the country but we'll have to see.
    IMO - Things to go for:
    The biggest shower cubical you can fit in.
    Underfloor heating.
    Oh, and a decent extractor fan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I would suspect you would pay about £2-3k labour.
    and that's the problem. We've refitted the last 3 bathrooms ourselves. Complete rip out and replace. We're just looking at the bathroom in our new house and we briefly looked at the option of getting a proper bathroom company in to do the job. The problem is they want to charge full RRP for the gubbins and then the £2K on top for 2-3 days fitting. So overall we're talking £3K extra compared to us doing the job. So we've really decided to it ourselves again. It might take 1-2 weeks for us to do the work but 3K is 3K! Plus, tbh, I reckon a keen diyer will generally do a better job than a pro who's sole aim is get in and do the job as quick as possible and to hell with spending extra time making things perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    One of the things I really regret about the last en suite we did was putting in a fancy bog - specifically one with a concealed cistern.

It looked brilliant, with just a plate on the wall to flush the toilet. However, when it goes wrong - and it will - you find that you need arms like a gibbon to work on the thing. That's assuming that the tiler was smart enough to leave some sort of removable access panel to get at the thing. If he didn't, you might be looking at breaking things to get access.
    We went for gerbarit cistern frames.... excellent german products. You can service and even replace all the gubbins in the cistern via the flush button plate. btdt.... took the whole insides out of one of our cisterns last October. Cleaned and replaced in an hour and that whilst recovering from a heart bypass. Easy job.

Craftsman
    We did the bathroom in our master about five years ago now. All in we were around £7.5k with marble floor and walls (had to make two trips in my B5 RS4 at the time because of the weight) as well as underfloor heating, heated mirror, extractor, stainless steel towel rail and then all the other stuff you'd usually expect to replace (shower cubicle, toilet, taps, sink, etc.). The room was once a bedroom, so was a pretty good sized bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve27752 View Post
    And get it sound proofed........Nothing worse than listening to someone else having a dump
    Someone with the squitz pebble dashing the bowl maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    and that's the problem........

I reckon a keen diyer will generally do a better job than a pro
    You should be on stage Steve

Shower enclosure - £450
    Shower Tray (resin) - £200 (inc waste) MX is highly recommended and won't break the bank.
    Shower tower/taps - Grohe - £350-£750
    Shower Wall or tiles - £50 sq Meter

wall mounted cisten (grohe) and frame - £200
    hanging rimless toilet - £100- £350
    Toilet Flush (Grohe) - £50
    Bog Roll holder - £50 (for a nice one)

sink - £200
    Taps (mixer - grohe) - £150
    Plug - £25

cabinets, cabinet tops, vanity unit, etc - depends on what you want, but assume £1k unless it's V&B (madness prices) We used kitchen cabinets in ours with hardwood tops with the exception of the over the sink vanity cabinets which had heating elements to prevent them steaming up.

Flooring - tiles or Vinyl (Amtico or similar) £40/meter

New Radiator/Towel rack - £350 plus valves.

Ceiling -( I am a fan of Fire Rated UPVC ceiling panels) plus include an extractor fan and new LED down lights - budget about £150

Adhesives/Paint/Silicon/Grout - budget £100

Labour - assume 3 days for the bathroom fitter/plumber and 1/2 for the flooring guy (but worth having a go yourself - assume £50/hour - the rest of the painting can DIY

I am in the process up replacing a shower tray in one ensuite (it leaked because of bad fitting which also destroyed the ceiling in another ensuite bathroom directly below). The tray cost £220, the Labour will be £550 for the rest.

My advice is not to scrimp, buy the best quality you can afford and use a recommended fitter. Will save money in the long run. Have a look on EBay for stuff, because you can find some pretty good bargains especially the sinks, taps, flooring, tiles and toilets for some reason.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Slightly off topic but I’ve just been quoted £810 labour to replace my downstairs loo, basin and tiling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Lad View Post
    I did mine last year and one of the best things I did was get a Bauhaus LED mirror fitted with a heating element in it. Works a treat and never steams up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Just checked them out - thanks!