closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would make you buy a 'Smart Watch'?

What would make you buy a 'Smart Watch'?

I have to admit my initial scepticism about smartwatches is slowly waning and I think it is inevitable I will get one in the next year or so. This has been influenced by friends who all love (and collect) mechanical watches adopting Apple Watches and finding them taking over their wrist time.

Personally, I see smartwatches as a true threat to mechanical watches, and the dawn of another quartz crisis. With smartwatches becoming increasingly sophisticated 'wearables' with valid medical data and tracking, they can only increase markedly in adoption. How long until your private medical insurance company insists on you wearing one?

Being a fan of Breitling Aerospaces, and owning two, I would like Breitling to collaborate with a major smartwatch manufacturer to bring a smart Aerospace to market in the current 43mm case (or 42mm Advantage).

Tag Heuer seem to be working a good concept with their smartwatch and exchangeable modules.

I wear a mechanical watch on my left wrist and a Huawei GT2 on the right. My wife says it makes me look like a prat but the Huawei is THE best watch for activity tracking and health monitoring so that's why I use it and it is brilliant at what it does

Master
    I’ve got a garmin Vivoactive 3 music. It’s a superb bit of kit and does everything I want from it.

I wear it virtually everyday now and it’s replaced my other watches as my main watch.

Obviously if I’m going out in the night it’s a proper watch but for day to day the smart watches can’t be beaten.

Gun to my head would do it.

I have no desire to know how unfit I am. I have mirrors for that.

I don't want constant nagging messages from social media etc. I don't care. F*** off.

Hi, I'm Paul, I'm old, and blind and still use a coal-fired Nokia 6310i...

I picked up a Xiaomi Mi Band 4 'smart' watch and it's replaced my Seiko 007. I can see calls, texts and emails. At £30, it is good.

Master
    I would be interested in a smart watch that did lots of tracking but actually didn't display it and i could just access the data on my phone if and when i want to.

I use a Fitbit in the gym if I’m boxing or doh go cardio. Even then on my left wrist is a proper watch.
    As for a smart watch replacing wrist time for my collection zero chance. Phones are a bad enough distraction from actual human to human contact. There is no way I want messages and emails going to my wrist. I’m 36 and get told I’m old before my time. I lost mechanical watches I use a double edge razor froM the 1960s. I just think things was easier and simpler then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I picked up an Apple Watch here & after previously dismissing them despite friends raving about them, I am now a convert.

Love everything about it now I’ve got a few screens set up for what I want at any point in time. The shortcut to the countdown timer is used daily for my cooking timing.

I still wear a ‘proper’ watch on my left wrist. Some people have laughed, my wife too, but I just don’t care.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Personally, I see smartwatches as a true threat to mechanical watches, and the dawn of another quartz crisis.
    I also believe this to be true. I retired last year but all of my workmates who actually wore watches (many just used their phones to tell the time) had changed to smart watches over the previous year to eighteen months and would never consider buying a mechanical watch.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I'd rather amputate my hands than wear a smart watch.

It would have to be fairly serious for me to want to wear a smart watch instead of a mechanical one, and I don't want to wear two watches. Plus I don't do anything much that means I can't pull my phone out of my pocket.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I would be interested in a smart watch that did lots of tracking but actually didn't display it and i could just access the data on my phone if and when i want to.

They all do that.

I’ve turned all the call and text notifications off on m garmin. I’m not interested in any of that.

Having music on the watch and not having to run with a phone etc it’s brilliant. Also the info I can get out of it in terms of fitness is tremendous.

Grand Master
    I'll stick to proper watches, I don`t relate to stuff like this and I wouldn't want to be seen wearing one. I don't need what it offers and I certainly don't need the 'look'.

Just broken off worki8ng on a 1949 Omega, that's more my style.

Master
    It's not about battery issues etc, I simply have no use for one. It's hard enough justifying a mobile phone.

No good to me at all, you sort of need fingers on both hands, so that's me out.

Master
    earlofsodbury:
    I don't want constant nagging messages from social media etc. I don't care. F*** off.
    Hi, I'm Paul, I'm old, and blind and still use a coal-fired Nokia 6310i

Today, walkerwek1958:
    I'll stick to proper watches, I don`t relate to stuff like this and I wouldn't want to be seen wearing one. I don't need what it offers and I certainly don't need the 'look'.

Today, 11:37Foxy100
    It would have to be fairly serious for me to want to wear a smart watch instead of a mechanical one, and I don't want to wear two watches. Plus I don't do anything much that means I can't pull my phone out of my pocket.

Today, 11:36village

Today, Wallasey Runner

^As above^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Harsh but my thoughts too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can’t think of a single reason why I would wear such a thing.

Definitely with the sceptics on this, why on earth would you willingly permit your insurer or the nhs/Govt., google, Facebook/ whoever to have access to that amount of data about you...imagine you're enjoying a convivial drink with friends and the bloody watch starts beeping and flashing telling you that your insurance company is threatening to raise your premiums because you've exceeded your daily/ weekly alcohol allowance, possibly dystopian perhaps not.
    mind you I don't have a mobile either, happily.
    Already happening after a fashion in China,
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/chin...ivacy-invasion
    Last edited by Passenger; 22nd January 2020 at 13:33.

Grand Master
    I could enjoy crushing one slowly in the trusty 6" Record vice that lives in my garage and imagine it squealing as it disintegrated........I know it's an inanimate object but I could still pretend

When they first came out all the trendies and 'early adaptors' liked to be seen in them, now every bellend and his brother wear them so even that limited appeal has gone.

The only upside is that it may keep the custom of wearing a watch alive and possibly lead to a resurgence in the trend for wearing proper watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I wear a mechanical watch on my left wrist and a Huawei GT2 on the right. My wife says it makes me look like a prat but the Huawei is THE best watch for activity tracking and health monitoring so that's why I use it and it is brilliant at what it does
    Maybe if you wore a fitness band like a fitbit rather than another watch it wouldn't look so silly?

Craftsman
    I don’t see smart watches as watches as such as they do so much more. At the moment the most interesting attraction is the health monitoring.

But I’d relegate to a discrete hidden tool and continue with the traditional watch for jewellery and appreciation of the mechanical marvel it is.

Nothing.

I rather rashly bought one of those Skagen ones in the recent sale.

I quite like the look of it and the functionality (it only tracks steps against a target) and it has the good grace to look like a conventional watch, but I don't want to wear the same watch every day, so it's not going to work for me.

I do wear a cheap step/sleep tracker bracelet (less intrusive than a fitbit) on my right wrist, so I'm not adverse to the tech, I just prefer not to abandon a watch for it.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd January 2020 at 16:04.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Nothing would entice me to wear a "smart watch" although to be fair I am not their target audience.

I've never been in a gym, and know how fit I am by how far I can walk the dog whilst wearing a heavy steel watch rather than a thin plastic thing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Would love a smart band or bracelet. Something with no screen to track and use my phone to view. Couldn't possibly wear a smart watch with a real watch. Not for me. Withings have a new watch coming out this year with spots sleep apnea and is very interesting but I'd need it without the clock face. Maybe next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Maybe if you wore a fitness band like a fitbit rather than another watch it wouldn't look so silly?
    It only matters if you care what others think. I happily wear a mechanical on my left and a Garmin on my right.

Nothing. I would never consider wearing one. Another pointless bit of crap to carry around imho.

I said exactly the same about smartphones, and just under a year ago I finally bought an iPhone, but only because I don’t have a landline or broadband, and Three were making a smartphone a decent alternative to broadband for what I need it for. I have still got my old Nokia that does texts calls and photos. I wish that I still had my 6310i though. That was a nice phone.

Perhaps one day I will have a smart watch, but I imagine that it will be a long time off yet.

Ghastly things, definitely not for me under any circumstances.

I have a £20 miband that does everything i need and looks like a wristband.

Journeyman
    I'd wear one to the gym, that way I can leave my phone in the locker whilst still being connected to the world.

Wouldn't be caught dead with one during the day though. Plus, how much "activity" do you do and measure during office hours?...

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    earlofsodbury:
    Hi, I'm Paul, I'm old, and blind and still use a coal-fired Nokia 6310i

Today, walkerwek1958:

Today, 11:37Foxy100

Today, 11:36village

Today, Wallasey Runner

^As above^
    As above 4ever! :)

Master
    ... but the Huawei is THE best watch for allowing the Chinese State to track me and gather information useful to their ends...
    Fixed. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklel View Post
    I'd wear one to the gym, that way I can leave my phone in the locker whilst still being connected to the world.

Wouldn't be caught dead with one during the day though. Plus, how much "activity" do you do and measure during office hours?...
    Not everyone has a sedentary office job. Other people have retired.

I wore my Apple Watch a lot when I was office based. Tracked my steps (least used function), controlled my music when on the train so the phone could stay in the pocket, gave me discreet reminders for meetings and appointments, could check incoming calls without the phone and allowed me to preview emails and texts.

now I’m home based and work for myself I barely use it. Much prefer to have something mechanical and/or interesting on my wrist to admire when I get a rare moment. Smart watches are soulless but their functionality is undeniable.

I think those saying it’s a fashion and for ‘bell ends’ are not who this tech is aimed at. I also don’t understand those who wear their lack of interest in fitness as a badge of honour. Ok it might not be for you but I would have thought that you could respect those that do want to proactively manager their health.

I love the idea of an aerospace smart watch! I’ve looked at the Tag connect a couple of times but it’s too Android focussed for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Fitbits are notoriously poor at overestimating steps taken and calories burned

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I wore a Fenix 5S pretty much every day when I was still working. Tracked my cycle commute and fitness, plus used it extensively when not working but cycling for fun. A fantastic bit of kit that was useful for many reasons.

Now I’ve ‘retired’ I’ve converted back to mechanical watches for day-to-day wear and only use the Garmin when I can manage a bike ride. It’s nice to have some variety instead of the same wrist wear every day. Plus, while the smart watch functions are great, I could never call that watch attractive. Functional? Absolutely. Attractive? Not in my eyes.

The whole smart watch thing is a bit addictive and once you start wearing one it’s a difficult habit to break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm contemplating one, for two reasons.
    Firstly work have introduced a no phones policy apart from breaks but your allowed a smart watch so for SMS, email etc during the day it would be useful.
    Secondly for route tracking when on SAR duties as it would save draining the phone battery.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I use the Samsung Gear Pro and its excellent at all those things

Sent from my SM-F907B using Tapatalk

I wear a mechanical watch on my left and a pretty chunky tomtom activity type watch on my right. I’ve had a few people notice and mention it in the past but as mentioned above, it only matters if you care what others think. It works for me so therefore I like it.
    I’ve started to notice its becoming more common too.
    Dan

Does that matter as long as they're consistent?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

Apparently loads of first time marathon runners got caught put when they found out the hard way that most wearables overestimate your step count / distance by up to 20%. Mattered to them but in everyday shouldn't really matter - shows your were more/less active than yesterday/last week etc.

Mmmm. I've never tried to run long distances, but I'd track it with GPS rather than a step counter...

I see your point though.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M

For me it does as I need to input the precise number of calories to maintain a precise calorie deficit every day. I typically spend between 10pm and however long it takes to walk the requisite delta of steps needed to burn enough calories to maintain an 800 calorie delta between calories burned and Resting Metabolic Rate. The good news is you lose weight FAST that way particularly if you combine it with a ketogenic diet

For me it does as I need to input the precise number of calories to maintain a precise calorie deficit every day. I typically spend between 10pm and however long it takes to walk the requisite delta of steps needed to burn enough calories to maintain an 800 calorie delta between calories burned and Resting Metabolic Rate. The good news is you lose weight FAST that way particularly if you combine it with a ketogenic diet

i like this idea Ryan, can you elaborate more on the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    I wore my Apple Watch a lot when I was office based. Tracked my steps (least used function), controlled my music when on the train so the phone could stay in the pocket, gave me discreet reminders for meetings and appointments, could check incoming calls without the phone and allowed me to preview emails and texts.

now I’m home based and work for myself I barely use it. Much prefer to have something mechanical and/or interesting on my wrist to admire when I get a rare moment. Smart watches are soulless but their functionality is undeniable.

I think those saying it’s a fashion and for ‘bell ends’ are not who this tech is aimed at. I also don’t understand those who wear their lack of interest in fitness as a badge of honour. Ok it might not be for you but I would have thought that you could respect those that do want to proactively manager their health.

I love the idea of an aerospace smart watch! I’ve looked at the Tag connect a couple of times but it’s too Android focussed for me.
    No disrespect for fitness/ health here, very pro the whole ideal I just personally don’t feel the need for a device to help manage my health, feels a bit unnecessarily gadgety but heck if it helps others achieve their goals fair play.

Master
    Not for me, and I’m 42 so probably within their target audience. I have a Garmin watch for running as it’s lighter and easier to wear than my iPhone (which would admittedly do the same thing)

As soon as I get home from a run it goes back in the drawer and my watch goes back on after a shower.

Master
    I can't help but laugh at the fitness justifications. Humans have been perfectly capable of remaining fit for millenia without the need for calorie counters. It is like the people who require weight watchers diets and guidamce.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I can't help but laugh at the fitness justifications. Humans have been perfectly capable of remaining fit for millenia without the need for calorie counters. It is like the people who require weight watchers diets and guidamce.
    +1, a cheap casio watch to time runs etc is all I ever used, it did the job. Simply write the time for a training run in a diary.

As for diets, the info's readily available on most food packaging or on the good old interweb. Simply do the maths.

I wear a fenix 5s for work mainly so I know when the phone is ringing,as it’s sometimes too loud on site .
    And obviously I use it for training.

Kind of a hybrid mechanical/smart watch: