closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Insurance for learner driver

Master

Insurance for learner driver

Hi

Following an earlier thread, we've managed to buy a car for our daughter to learn on and also for the my wife and I to use as well.

For reference, we bought a VW Up! as advised by many on here and we're looking forward to picking it up soon.

Anyway, we're now onto the insurance side of things. Our daughter won't be driving it at all just yet as she has only just started her lessons, but we want her to be able to practice with us in between lessons once she has some of the basics covered. So, should we just insure it for my wife and I to drive and then just add her when she's ready, or is it better to have her on the policy from the start?

Any pointers or advice welcome.

I used https://www.veygo.com when my son was learning last year.

Very flexible cover options, that worked well for us, especially as it took him FIVE attempts to pass!

Be warned, as soon as they pass, the preferential learner rates go out the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    I used https://www.veygo.com when my son was learning last year.

Very flexible cover options, that worked well for us, especially as it took him FIVE attempts to pass!

Be warned, as soon as they pass, the preferential learner rates go out the window.

Thanks. So do you just insure with whoever you like and just top it up with Veygo?

Yes, we used my wife’s car that was insured already, Veygo insured our son on her car.

Craftsman
    The sooner She has Her own policy the sooner She will get Her Years no claims bonus.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    The sooner She has Her own policy the sooner She will get Her Years no claims bonus.
    Doesn’t she have to pass her test before she gets her own policy though? She’s only just started having lessons.

Timely thread for me OP as we are in the same situation. We havent bought a car yet but based on a Toyota Yaris with the car in my name and my son added on as a learner, insurance is £430. The same car with him listed as the main driver once he passes his test jumps to £830. This doesnt seem so bad provided Gocompare is accurately quoting our scenario. So it appears to be better value to add him as a learner than buy insurance through Marmalade or similar (unless he is only a learner for 4-6 months in which case Marmalade would be cheaper.

What I have been wondering is whether we need to transfer the car into his name when he becomes the main driver once he passes his test? He would genuinely be the main driver. Its hard to find good info out on this, or my Google skills need a polish.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Timely thread for me OP as we are in the same situation. We havent bought a car yet but based on a Toyota Yaris with the car in my name and my son added on as a learner, insurance is £430. The same car with him listed as the main driver once he passes his test jumps to £830. This doesnt seem so bad provided Gocompare is accurately quoting our scenario. So it appears to be better value to add him as a learner than buy insurance through Marmalade or similar (unless he is only a learner for 4-6 months in which case Marmalade would be cheaper.

What I have been wondering is whether we need to transfer the car into his name when he becomes the main driver once he passes his test? He would genuinely be the main driver. Its hard to find good info out on this, or my Google skills need a polish.
    You won't have to transfer the car into his name when he becomes the main driver - just make sure you tell the insurance company to make sure he's covered properly. You may a little more if its not in his name from what I can see, but then by transferring it to his name you'll add another keeper to the list and possibly lower the car's value.

Thanks for the tips Bam,. The car will only be a 3k or so runabout so value is not a big concern, I mainly want to ensure he earns NCD from being the main driver.

Cheers

Master
    btw.... I admit as a non-contender in this market, it might be worth taking insurance costs into account when choosing the 'learner car'.

The VW Up is number 7.

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/gui...earner-drivers

We bought a Polo as a third car since we were unlikely to use the MX5 during the winter and added both our sons on the insurance with LV

One had passed his test the other was a learner

They seem very flexible

- - - Updated - - -

We bought a Polo as a third car since we were unlikely to use the MX5 during the winter and added both our sons on the insurance with LV

One had passed his test the other was a learner

They seem very flexible

When my son turned 17 last year and I got him a Skoda CityGo (75bhp as it was the same insurance price as the 65bhp). I then got him 12 months insurance (on his provision) in his name for about £410 from Adrian Flux, which included an agreement that he would get something back if he passed his test within 9 months.

In November he passed his test, and to upgrade old provision insurance to a full new 12 month insurance was about £1100 (again in his name) which included fitting a data logger in his car (not a black box).

The way the scheme works is they provide his next insurance renewal quote in 12 months (which in his case was £623), however if the data logger detects any poor driving (speeding) then this insurance quote increases each time he is deemed to be reckless. If it detects really poor examples of poor driving 3 times, they reserve the right to terminate the policy.

It's worked very well so far. Plus we both track progress/all of his journeys, etc via an App

The data logger also has a button he can push if he has an accident which will immediately put him through to a 24x7 emergency help line who can talk him through the process.

Highly recommended, plus it has worked so far. He was late for school one morning and drove a bit quicker than he should have - got busted plus his renewal price only increased by about £2. Since then he has been diving like "Miss daisy". We also banned him for carrying his mates for the first 3 months, plus his car will have P plate until his birthday at the March. I also added a cheap dash cam, just to provide some additional focus".

i must say he is a pretty good and sensible driver, more interested on fuel comsumption than racing around.
    Last edited by Andyg; 22nd January 2020 at 20:28.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    When my son turned 17 last year and I got him a Skoda CityGo (75bhp as it was the same insurance price as the 65bhp). I then got him 12 months insurance (on his provision) in his name for about £410 from Adrian Flux, which included an agreement that he would get something back if he passed his test within 9 months.

In November he passed his test, and to upgrade old provision insurance to a full new 12 month insurance was about £1100 (again in his name) which included fitting a data logger in his car (not a black box).

The way the scheme works is they provide his next insurance renewal quote in 12 months (which in his case was £623), however if the data logger detects any poor driving (speeding) then this insurance quote increases each time he is deemed to be reckless. If it detects really poor examples of poor driving 3 times, they reserve the right to terminate the policy.

It's worked very well so far. Plus we both track progress/all of his journeys, etc via an App

The data logger also has a button he can push if he has an accident which will immediately put him through to a 24x7 emergency help line who can talk him through the process.

Highly recommended, plus it has worked so far. He was late for school one morning and drove a bit quicker than he should have - got busted plus his renewal price only increased by about £2. Since then he has been diving like "Miss daisy". We also banned him for carrying his mates for the first 3 months, plus his car will have P plate until his birthday at the March. I also added a cheap dash cam, just to provide some additional focus".

i must say he is a pretty good and sensible driver, more interested on fuel comsumption than racing around.
    I would have been screwed if you were my dad. I’d still be on the bus at 42!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks for the tips Bam,. The car will only be a 3k or so runabout so value is not a big concern, I mainly want to ensure he earns NCD from being the main driver.

Cheers
    Can you do that? I thought the NCD went to the policy holder not who is named as the main driver.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Can you do that? I thought the NCD went to the policy holder not who is named as the main driver.
    some insurers will give allowance for named drivers.

I have a car with 3 learners on the insurance, all as named drivers.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    some insurers will give allowance for named drivers.

I have a car with 3 learners on the insurance, all as named drivers.
    But can they build up their own no claims bonus to take with them when they get their own policy?

Data logger = black box.

I feel your pain.

We had the same with my last year, firstly I believe that passing a test is a simple calculation of person & time spent driving, so we bought my son a car as soon as the instructor said he was competent enough to go out with either his mum or dad beside him.

Insurance was a nightmare because most companies said it’s £xx while he’s a provisional then it goes up when he passes but no one could say how much it would go up and some said if we then cancelled we’d have to pay a cancellation fee.

In the end we went with a company that would insure him for a 30, 60, or 90 day period for a very reasonable amount (I think it was about £85-90 for the 30 days) we went for 30 days and made sure he did at least 30 minutes a day, the policy ran out a few days before his second test and he passed so then it was just get a normal insurance policy with a black box.

If you need the company drop me a pm and I’ll dig it out.

Justin44

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Data logger = black box.
    = telematics box.

The main difference between the AF telematics box is that it's a DIY install (it's stuck on the windscreen), you own it and you don't have to pay anyone to remove it) - unlike some telematics boxes.

other benefits include

No additional weekly/monthly charges for poor driving
    A protected no claims.
    No additional costs i.e subscription or line rental.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

= telematics box.

The main difference between the AF telematics box is that it's a DIY install (it's stuck on the windscreen), you own it and you don't have to pay anyone to remove it) - unlike some telematics boxes.

other benefits include

No additional weekly/monthly charges for poor driving
    A protected no claims.
    No additional costs i.e subscription or line rental.
    Yes, despite your previous post, just different names for the same thing.

Yes, despite your previous post, just different names for the same thing.
    Semantics aside. Typical black boxes are typically hardwired in to car, are owned by the insurance company (not the policy holder) plus I am unaware of any that include an emergency call button (with voice to voice comms). The one in my son's car is owned by him, it isn't hard wired and does have an emergency call button.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Semantics aside. Typical black boxes are typically hardwired in to car, are owned by the insurance company (not the policy holder) plus I am unaware of any that include an emergency call button (with voice to voice comms). The one in my son's car is owned by him, it isn't hard wired and does have an emergency call button.
    Well you started the semantics.

Good for him though!

Well you started the semantics.

Good for him though!

If you say so.
    Data logger = black box.

Friedrich Nietzsche

But can they build up their own no claims bonus to take with them when they get their own policy?
    Yes, that’s exactly what I meant - some insurers will give them allowance. In the same way that some company drivers are given allowance when they go back to insuring their own car, provided they can prove that they have been driving as a named driver. However, it is all up to the individual insurer - they are not bound by any law, in the same way some give allowance on multiple cars and others restrict no claims to the first vehicle.
    It's just a matter of time...

They can, but some will only honour it if take out with the same insurance Co, therefore not transferable.

Also with the black box, some have curfews, which is no good if they work in a pub, restaurant theatre etc