closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The most underrated watch you've ever had...

The most underrated watch you've ever had...

Quite often when talking about watch topics I can hear "oh - it's a great watch - but I've never heard of it".
    Therefore, lets have some fun - what do you think are the most underrated watches you've ever had.

My example:
    Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL. 1000 WR (with helium valve), kevlar dial, domed crystal, titanium case, sturdy design and some crazy rubber strap.

Seiko Spring Drive are underrated by many

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm impressed with my Boldr Venture field watch, titanium, sapphire,NATO strap with titanium, super accurate, came with a canvas watch roll, all for under £90 on SC.

Dibs please. 👍🏻😃👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I'm impressed with my Boldr Venture field watch, titanium, sapphire,NATO strap with titanium, super accurate, came with a canvas watch roll, all for under £90 on SC.

It’s not underrated by me, but allow me to offer this B&R, a Geneva 123 from the first vintage series.

Everything form the case, to the dial, hands, strap and deploy at is very high quality. At 37.5mm a great size and great choice when I want something with more subtle and elegant than a sports Rolex or Omega.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

2mm thinner, 2mm shorter and with a nice yellow or blue dial and I would call it a day. I can dream ...

Orient Ray 2.

Shows Seiko overpricing IMO and yes I own both...

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    Baume & Mercier Capeland S XXL...
    I had one of them many years ago (it went to JasonM, I recall). Couldn't get on with the dial colour: it reminded me of a suppurating boil full of pus!

I'd go for a Glycine Lagunare 3194, ETA 2824 & bracelet version, from years back. A good, solid, do everything watch.

Borrowed pic for illustration:

______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I had one of them many years ago (it went to JasonM, I recall). Couldn't get on with the dial colour: it reminded me of a suppurating boil full of pus!
    You've probably broken my reception of the dial forever :-)

But you have to admit that beside the color and pattern (kevlar fault), the quality is great!

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post

I'd go for a Glycine Lagunare 3194, ETA 2824 & bracelet version, from years back. A good, solid, do everything watch.
    Good memory, I loved that watch and I only let it go ( and others! ) to top up a house deposit.
    It did go to someone else on here called Dan but haven’t seen them on here since.
    A impossible watch to photograph well.

I’ve said it before, but for me the humble Seiko 6309 7040 is still underrated and a relative bargain in the vintage dive watch world, I guess because of the vast numbers made.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Good memory, I loved that watch and I only let it go ( and others! ) to top up a house deposit.
    It did go to someone else on here called Dan but haven’t seen them on here since.
    I've bought mine from some WUS member (from Romania, as far as I remember). This piece is not easy to catch...

Master

Sinn 556 IB. It was the perfect size for me and ran +1.5 spd on the wrist. Long gone now but I remember it fondly.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Citizen BM6400-e.

38mm
    200m WR
    Screw-down crown
    Great lume (lasted nine hours last night!)
    Super legible
    High gloss dial
    Applied markers
    Never needs a battery (Eco-drive)
    Quartz timekeeping
    Suits loads of straps

Amazing spec for a hundred quid or thereabouts.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 21st January 2020 at 20:00.

This IWC. To be honest a lot of IWCs are underrated due to bad rep be it movement or resale value. But this watch is super comfy, genta inspired design and the dial has so many dimensions it’s fantastic.

Probably the SMF300. They're was a surge in interest in these when deskdivers.com did a fantastic article on them but since then interest dropped off and you barely see one on any forum. Add to that they often sell for very cheap prices(I remember somebody struggling to sell a really nice well priced one in SC here just last year) for what they are these days.

I think they're funky as hell and really there's nothing else quite like them. Hugely underatted and will probably remain so too.

Last edited by Tetlee; 22nd January 2020 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    2mm thinner, 2mm shorter and with a nice yellow or blue dial and I would call it a day. I can dream ...
    I'll second that...

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Orient Ray 2.

Shows Seiko overpricing IMO and yes I own both...
    I have 4 Makos and love them. I have dived with both the Mako 1 and 2 and the SKX and SRP Seiko divers extensively. IMO the Seiko's are better dive watches and worth the additional cost. In fact the Mako isn't even rated as a dive watch by Orient.

I think the OS300 is the Orient that puts a dent in Seiko. But then it puts a dent in every other dive watch competitor too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I feel like the GS is now somewhat overrated with the constant “underrated” comments haha Still a very good looking diver though.

My BTR without a doubt. Everyone who see it in the flesh are amazed of the details and quality. But it doesn't have the Rolex logo and it didn't sell much.

Funny fact:
    B&M just showed at the SC couple of days ago - and today's comment: "Wow. What a watch! Never seen that before . GLWTS " :)

:D

Bvlgari 2000m diver. Stupidly sold it and can’t find another. The best domed crystal ever,IMO.
    Just checked Chrono24. There are a few there.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 24th January 2020 at 12:47.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    A impossible watch to photograph well.

I’ve said it before, but for me the humble Seiko 6309 7040 is still underrated and a relative bargain in the vintage dive watch world, I guess because of the vast numbers made.
    6309-7049 was my first mechanical watch. I bought it at the Navy Exchange for $99.00 in 1985. Wore it for 20 years or so without a service, just strap changes as the old Z22 Seiko dive straps would break. It stopped working and sat in my drawer for about 10 years and decided to put it on Ebay and with in 5 minutes a guy from down under offered me $125.00 for it, so I accepted. Not bad for a watch that wasn't running and looked well worn as it was. It had been around the world, above the ocean and below it as I was a Submariner.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

I agree with you on that I have the green strap version but currently on a new German Perlon but sadly doesn't get much wrist time.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

The humble BFK is a fine watch at a bargain price.
    Great heft, but not too big, torch-like lume, excellent timekeeping and a bracelet to shame the luxury brands.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    The humble BFK is a fine watch at a bargain price.
    Great heft, but not too big, torch-like lume, excellent timekeeping and a bracelet to shame the luxury brands.

Now I wish I hadn’t sold mine. It was a great watch - good heft but wore so well

Grand Master
    must admit i'd like one again
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Now I wish I hadn’t sold mine. It was a great watch - good heft but wore so well

ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    This IWC. To be honest a lot of IWCs are underrated due to bad rep be it movement or resale value. But this watch is super comfy, genta inspired design and the dial has so many dimensions it’s fantastic.

A very nice watch,,,, but
    I don't dislike cut of numbers, as in the 10, but the 6 and 12 ?? just looks odd

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    must admit i'd like one again
    Is it possible to still find them? I had a quick look there and couldn't see one for sale anywhere

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

This is without doubt the most underrated watch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Gecko

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    This is without doubt the most underrated watch.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Still can’t believe you sold that one. Without doubt the nicest watch I’ve held in the flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    A very nice watch,,,, but
    I don't dislike cut of numbers, as in the 10, but the 6 and 12 ?? just looks odd
    There needs to be some sort of marker in those positions - leaving them out entirely would look odd. And a normal mark would also not work due to the positioning of the other numbers. So you end up with cut numbers. It is tastefully done and gives the watch some character.

Journeyman
    Probably my Stowa Flieger.... Great watch for the money... And Maybe Doxy Sub 1200T

My Omega Dynamic Chrono. When these were released they were not well received at all and dealers struggled to sell them. The Dubois Dépraz chrono module is piggybacked on the main module. Packaged in a tin which Omega suggested was a desktop pencil and pen holder which ultimately got thrown away, hence why many are sold without them nowadays - I'm fortunate to have my tin, plus the original guarantee etc.

Omega made two versions, this is the earlier version with the 30 minute counter markers inset from the edge. The later version had those markers moved to the edge, similar to the running seconds dial, to make the counter easier to read.

I love it.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Not so sure about the font on the numbers but otherwise the Omega looks class

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Not so sure about the font on the numbers but otherwise the Omega looks class
    Thanks. The font has a charm of its own when you see the watch on the wrist. The bracelet on the other hand is a wicked hair puller!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.