closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex price increase in May ?

Craftsman

Rolex price increase in May ?

I have been trying this last week to buy a Rolex from ADs at pre-increase prices. Absolutely no success even when item was in store inventory. Could just be me being crap at negotiating.

Anyhoo, I was told by two different AD’s (though both Aurum group) that a price increase is thought to be likely this May. Of course this could be pure rumour or even just a counter-negotiation strategy. They were quite convincing though and one of them I know well and he is a straight-up fellow.

It sounds way too ballsy to me and I am hoping this is not real. Anyone else better connected hearing this rumour though?

Master
    Just GS staff talking BS.

Pope also still catholic.

Blog Entries
    So you were haggling on a watch they had in stock, and their response was a fantasy price increase? Isn't that the classic sales tactic to focus the mind?

Craftsman
    Thanks gentlemen. That is what I was hoping to hear. Like I said, I am crap at negotiating and therefore an easy target for sales BS.

Craftsman
    Wasn't there just a price increase on 1st January?

I would think they would wait a bit longer before increasing the price again.

You have to admire the sales tactics, inventing false price rises in order to panic the buyer. Did they also tell you that the watch you want is going to be discontinued and is likely to rocket in value

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You have to admire the sales tactics, inventing false price rises in order to panic the buyer. Did they also tell you that the watch you want is going to be discontinued and is likely to rocket in value
    Indeed. Yet you've also got to admire the idea that the word of two complete strangers on the Internet is enough to convince someone otherwise (albeit those who've stuck around long enough here would know haywood is not just a random source).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Indeed. Yet you've also got to admire the idea that the word of two complete strangers on the Internet is enough to convince someone otherwise (albeit those who've stuck around long enough here would know haywood is not just a random source).
    The two random strangers aren’t trying to sell me a watch with super-profits attached though and seem to know more about the behaviour of these ADs than I would. One of them had the jan 1 price list before some ADs seemed to know the details. Good enough for me.

Price increases on watches not available - how exciting!

Popped into M&W Bluewater this weekend. No Rolex Sports available and apparently waiting lists of 5 years and pompous lady added lists are now closed. Did comment she didn’t appear to have the best of sales pitches at her disposal, but I couldn’t resist as she was such a stuck up snob if truth be told.

She apologised in her snobbish manner, to which I replied, please don’t feel sorry for me, I have walked into your shop with money to spend, yet you clearly have nothing to sell. I feel sorry for you. Good luck!

Did make me chuckle

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Got the usual “we only see one of those a year” bolox and some other banal nonsense hardly worth repeating. I did get the impression that the price increase is no big deal for most of their customers though who are buying impulsively from the window and don’t know that prices were lower a few weeks ago. I guess I am competing with wealthy folk for a commodity in limited supply. I’ll give it another go if the watch is still in the window at the end of the month.

What is the watch out of interest?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    What is the watch out of interest?
    DD40 WG ref 228239. That’s why the price is a deal-breaker for me. It has increased by £2600 which to my thinking is too much of an ask.

Ouch, considerable chunk then and not really something that people have to queue down the street for. Might have more luck at a non-WoS AD or go large and try broker something else at the same time if paying full whack. BLNR etc maybe.

I was offered a 126711 CHNR (Fraser Hart -Kingston) which I put discussed on WT last week. High demand watch, or so I’m told.

I put my name down when it was £10,350. I was told that it would take 3 to 5 years. It actually took just over six months by which time the price had risen to £11,850.

I passed on the watch at that price, but would have bought it at the price six months (or so) earlier.

My guess is by the time it got to me, a few on the list had already turn it down.

Shame really, as it was a lovely watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    DD40 WG ref 228239. That’s why the price is a deal-breaker for me. It has increased by £2600 which to my thinking is too much of an ask.
    FWIW, if you ever tired of that watch you'd take a spanking, whatever discount you had or hadn't got at the outset....

Master
    Lovely watch but as HM says, this is always the challenge with these sort of watches - you will take a bath on resale (although may not be your primary concern).

We are in process of sourcing a Ladies DJ for my wife. At nearly £10k, I am a little worried about what I may get back for it if she got bored of it, I am sure it would not be a pleasant surprise!
    Last edited by Boss13; 21st January 2020 at 07:55.

Craftsman
    I do love the sales tactics! I was in an Omega boutique 2 weeks ago looking at a sapphire sandwich. The nice lady told me she expects a price increase on gold Omega models in February so I'd be wise to buy now....

I did mention that the watch I was looking at wasn't gold but I'm not sure she grasped the point I was trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    We are in process of sourcing a Ladies DJ for my wife. At nearly £10k, I am a little worried about what I may get back for it if she got bored of it, I am sure it would not be a pleasant surprise!
    Just bought my wife a DJ28 between Christmas and New Year. Couldn't think of the resale or I wouldn't have bought. In my mind we'll get £0 back so anything over is a bonus but hopefully she keeps it and is happy with it long term.

Master
    I was in Goldsmiths in Canterbury on Sunday & was told that they hope there won't be another Rolex increase this year due to the severity of the recent one. "Severity" was his word.

I do enjoy these threads, never tire of them. I'd be quite happy if there was another increase, having picked up 2 last month. Interesting they both independently came up with May - unless it originated from the same source.

The general Rolex mantra of "prices only keep rising" still holds true, IMHO anyway.

Master
    Just bought my wife a DJ28 between Christmas and New Year. Couldn't think of the resale or I wouldn't have bought. In my mind we'll get £0 back so anything over is a bonus but hopefully she keeps it and is happy with it long term.
    Nice! Which one did you go for?

Nice! Which one did you go for?
    DJ28 in SS on jubilee with fluted bezel and white dial. Poor pic from the day we got it but shows it nonetheless. Quite nice.

Craftsman
    DJ28 in SS on jubilee with fluted bezel and white dial. Poor pic from the day we got it but shows it nonetheless. Quite nice.
    Great choice. I love the DJ28 and that really looks a perfect fit on her. My wife tried that exact model vs the one we bought last year (pic below) about 100 times and really struggled to choose.

Master
    Both the above look fantastic. We are going for very similar in the 31mm.

Craftsman
    Both the above look fantastic. We are going for very similar in the 31mm.
    Sweet. Much better selection of dials for the 31. If you don’t already know, just bear in mind the movement differences. All 28’s have the 2236. TT 31’s have the 2236. S/S 31’s still have the 2235 however. One assumes that the S/S 31’s will be relaunched with the new movement at Basel this year so, if it’s S/S you want, you might want to hold on.

Master
    Sweet. Much better selection of dials for the 31. If you don’t already know, just bear in mind the movement differences. All 28’s have the 2236. TT 31’s have the 2236. S/S 31’s still have the 2235 however. One assumes that the S/S 31’s will be relaunched with the new movement at Basel this year so, if it’s S/S you want, you might want to hold on.
    That is extremely useful information. I don't think the wife is overly fussed about movement, but I guess having the longer power reserve is a nice bonus. We are going for TT so I guess it should have the new movement by default (unless we find one that has been sitting in stock!).

Craftsman
    That is extremely useful information. I don't think the wife is overly fussed about movement, but I guess having the longer power reserve is a nice bonus. We are going for TT so I guess it should have the new movement by default (unless we find one that has been sitting in stock!).
    I could be wrong but I think the reference number tells you. So, eg, TT yellow gold ref 278273 has new movement and ref 178273 (still to be found in GS windows) has old movement.
    Last edited by Satori; 21st January 2020 at 16:44.

Master
    I could be wrong but I think the reference number tells you. So, eg, TT yellow gold ref 278273 has new movement and ref 178273 (still to be found in GS windows) has old movement.
    Correct, but for most wearers except the most sedentary the user experience will be identical and one might be better off finding a previous generation 178xxx one with some discount if possible...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    with some discount if possible...
    I did ask that question of an AD a few weeks ago. I was almost laughed out of the store!

Craftsman
    I bout my wife the exact same one for the morning of our wedding. Such a classic women's watch I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I bout my wife the exact same one for the morning of our wedding. Such a classic women's watch I think.
    You have good taste!

Craftsman
    You have good taste!
    Ha! We had morning scouring the dealers looking at rings so I suggested trying on a few rolex may garner us a discount (I know how to treat a lassie!) if they thought we were going to spend a fortune. Out of all this was her favourite combination.

Serious brownie points but no foresight at all!

Absolute lol 😂

What an unbalanced country / world we live in.

It has increased by £2600....

Craftsman
    Lovely watch but as HM says, this is always the challenge with these sort of watches - you will take a bath on resale (although may not be your primary concern).

We bought my wife a white gold ladies date just , after her mother passed away , the resale price is 100% irrelevant.

Grand Master
    I did ask that question of an AD a few weeks ago. I was almost laughed out of the store!
    You’re easily put off!