closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was planning to post pictures of 3 new prototypes today

I like the NTH branding as it reinforces the presentation of different 'names' under an umbrella 'brand'. Let e'NTH complain all they like. Their stuff is crud compared to the TF offering.

Quote Originally Posted by TTR350 View Post
    The Dreadnought GMT I overslept or found out too late that it exists.

It's still available on the website. "Ordering will open again on Sunday 26 January 2020 at 1400hrs UK time."

https://www.timefactors.com/dreadnoughtvoyager.htm

In the meantime, I have also found the order page...

Nevertheless- thank you for the info!

Another vote in favour of the baby-Dreadnought.

Looks great - Not sure I'll buy one as it'd mean my Voyager would be somewhat redundant, but I still very much like it!

M

Craftsman
    I love my DNV even though it's slightly on the larger side for my wrist. You really have put the cat amongst the pigeons with the reduced size version Chief.

Apprentice

Dreadnaught

The over-sized minute hand on the Dreadnaught reminds me on a comical fiddler crab.

Love the Smith in tha pic

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Really like the Speedbird and the 40 mm Dreadnaught.

I think the NTH branding is very distracting and way too large on the dials. I don't have a problem with the logo per se, but as with the Seiko Prospex "X" I think it adds nothing aesthetically and detracts from an otherwise great looking watch.

I'll say the same thing I say to Seiko. (Only difference is you will actually read my post, and consider my thoughts, even though you may decide to say 'bugger off'!): Why not put the New Time Horology logo on the crown? On either watch, I think it would look very good engraved on the crown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TTR350 View Post
    Means- if there is a new DN, then only the small model?
    That is correct, as I understand it.

By the way, the Dreadnought Voyager is still available to buy new: https://www.timefactors.com/dreadnoughtvoyager.htm

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That is correct, as I understand it.

By the way, the Dreadnought Voyager is still available to buy new: https://www.timefactors.com/dreadnoughtvoyager.htm

See #52

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Yup, I was catching up and posted my message before I saw yours. When I saw your message, I considered editing mine to note your earlier reply but then I couldn't think of a suitable form of words!

Eddie, I am curious to have your comment on the NTH thing.
    It seems a little odd to me that you wanted to have a new Umbrella brand for these watches (NTH), especially as you already have one - Time Factors.
    Even more so, given that TF could also simplify into a potentially similar (and equally effective) TF medallion.
    And bearing in mind that almost all 3rd party video and online reviews I have seen of your existing range mention that the watch under review comes from Time Factors, so you would only be highlughting a brand that is already in common reference, rather than something entirely new.
    And perhaps lastly, given that the other NTH does not enjoy the same status of micro-brand that you do, so any association (even totally fictional) may not be to your advantage.

I am glad that the NTH is not featuring on the dial, I have always thought your dials are very restrained, only stating what needs to be there.
    But I am still confused that this new brand addition is being made, when the original (which is also your trademark, dating from 2012) has served very well, and needs only to be brought forward to serve you better.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Eddie, I am curious to have your comment on the NTH thing.
    It seems a little odd to me that you wanted to have a new Umbrella brand for these watches (NTH), especially as you already have one - Time Factors.
    Even more so, given that TF could also simplify into a potentially similar (and equally effective) TF medallion.
    And bearing in mind that almost all 3rd party video and online reviews I have seen of your existing range mention that the watch under review comes from Time Factors, so you would only be highlughting a brand that is already in common reference, rather than something entirely new.
    And perhaps lastly, given that the other NTH does not enjoy the same status of micro-brand that you do, so any association (even totally fictional) may not be to your advantage.

I am glad that the NTH is not featuring on the dial, I have always thought your dials are very restrained, only stating what needs to be there.
    But I am still confused that this new brand addition is being made, when the original (which is also your trademark, dating from 2012) has served very well, and needs only to be brought forward to serve you better.

Dave
    During my convalesence following surgery, I was bored and started looking back through old projects and discovered the New Time Horology project I was toying with in 2009 and thought it would be a good idea to resurrect it. As I stated previously, it got shelved in 2009 when I started the process of acquiring the Smiths trademark. Although they will still have their original brand names, I wanted them to also have a distinct brand name to differentiate from my original creations.

This is not unusual, think of BMC also branding cars "Vanden Plas" to denote luxury editions or Mustangs also branded "Shelby".

These watches will be marketed as "Dreadnought 38mm New Time Horology edition", etc.

Eddie

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice
    I'd buy both the Dreadnought and the Willard as they are though I'd prefer the Dreadnought in 40mm. Any wrist shots available to better judge the scale of both watches? I'd also like to see the Willard case with a unique Smiths dial as well as the homage, much like Nethuns did with their 300 (without the dodgy rotating diver seconds hand...). What size would the bezel be on the Willard - it looks a couple of mm smaller than the case on both sides - as small as 36mm? Any details on L2L of the Dreadnought. Difficult to judge without a wrist pic. I'd also agree about the NTH logo - perhaps the ship has sailed on that one and probably not worth the stress/agruments/legal costs etc...not to mention the crap that's spoken on the watch forums - but I'd buy the watches with or without it so not an issue for me. I agree with building up the Smiths brand and/or Precista and see no problems with a 'Smiths Dreadnought' to differentiate it or simply 'Dreadnought 38' - can't see how it'd be devaluated in any way when they are currently sister brands anyway, merely a simplification of the extended line up. Oh - and I especially like the 'Great Britain' on the dials. I can also appreciate the sentiment of differentiating from the original editions sold as limited editions, unlike Doxa. With the Caribbean coming as well I think you will soon have one of the best watch line-ups on the market!
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 24th January 2020 at 13:58.

Craftsman
    ^Exactly.

Speedbird 36, Dreadnought 38, etc is a perfectly acceptable and clear way of differentiating the models. There seems no good need to indulge in over-branding these releases.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I really like that Dreadnaught.

What's the lug width on it? I could see that on a NATO, perlon or even conventional strap.

I really like the new, smaller Dreadnaught but "Metres" is incorrectly spelt "Meters" on the case back (Or it's the Americanese spelling?). The other watches have it spelt correctly, hope this can be changed before production.

Craftsman
    The Wilard is definately a hit for me, as was the PRS-68.

The whole NTH thing though is, i think, a massive mistake.
    Especially as the logo, clearly letters, is so much like that of an existing company. Odd decision.

I suspect there is more to why though that we may never know about.

Hope all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post

I really like the new, smaller Dreadnaught but "Metres" is incorrectly spelt "Meters" on the case back (Or it's the Americanese spelling?). The other watches have it spelt correctly, hope this can be changed before production.
    Link below is a fascinating read on this topic. It does put watchmakers in a bit of a quandary. My pet peeve is capitalized units. Its m not M :-)

http://www.metricationmatters.com/do...e_or_meter.pdf

Link below is a fascinating read on this topic. It does put watchmakers in a bit of a quandary. My pet peeve is capitalized units. Its m not M :-)
    Thanks, that's certainly entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Narc'd View Post

I imagine it's called a ''prototype'' for a reason.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

Strange thing is, on the other two prototypes it's "METRES".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

As MeatLoaf once put it - 2 outa 3 ain't bad

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    46.5mm.

Eddie

Craftsman
    I would prefer the new DN if it was brushed finish rather than bead blasted.

Apprentice
    New smaller Dreadnought gets my vote.
    3 mins till Eddie opens up shop.
    Great to see you open again Eddie and getting stronger.
    Good luck everyone logging on to the possible sub 10 minute window.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I would prefer the new DN if it was brushed finish rather than bead blasted.
    Good point. Bead blasted watches pick up marks and are hard to polish out. But then again it's part of the DN's USP / DNA

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    New smaller Dreadnought gets my vote.
    3 mins till Eddie opens up shop.
    Great to see you open again Eddie and getting stronger.
    Good luck everyone logging on to the possible sub 10 minute window.
    Don't know how long Eddie was open but 168 orders later that opening day is over. It is so good to see Eddie up and about although while recovering it is evident that he was still working just not so much physically as mentally and designing new watches that we will be lining up online to buy.

During my convalesence following surgery, I was bored and started looking back through old projects and discovered the New Time Horology project I was toying with in 2009 and thought it would be a good idea to resurrect it.
    Are there any historical threads about this brand idea? I had a look and could only find a brief mention here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...l=1#post697962

I'm just wondering if there was some background to the name or the logo. It seems a bit... arbitrary? It also seems to be in stark contrast to your other brands.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Good point. Bead blasted watches pick up marks and are hard to polish out. But then again it's part of the DN's USP / DNA
    Bead blasting fine for a military watch - brushed or brushed with polished sides for anything else IMHO.

Any details when these watches will hit the market for ordering?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    Don't know how long Eddie was open but 168 orders later that opening day is over. It is so good to see Eddie up and about although while recovering it is evident that he was still working just not so much physically as mentally and designing new watches that we will be lining up online to buy.
    What watch was this for? On the timefactors website?

This is my trademark. It is not a word or letters, it is an image and the trademark is New Time Horology, it is NOT NTH.

Eddie
    Wouldn't be surprised if Chris Vail knocked off this logo to use as his own. He seems incapable of designing a decent logo amongst other things.

Great move by Eddie to take the logo back if that is the case.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcairn View Post
    What watch was this for? On the timefactors website?
    If you look here on the forum under the thread "ONE FOR 2020" that will answer your question.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if Chris Vail knocked off this logo to use as his own. He seems incapable of designing a decent logo amongst other things.

Great move by Eddie to take the logo back if that is the case.
    Well said, I couldn't agree more!

Master
    Does anyone know when the new 38mm Dreadnought will be released?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    The same question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    I doubt that even Eddie knows right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Really like the Speedbird and the 40 mm Dreadnaught.

I think the NTH branding is very distracting and way too large on the dials. I don't have a problem with the logo per se, but as with the Seiko Prospex "X" I think it adds nothing aesthetically and detracts from an otherwise great looking watch.

I'll say the same thing I say to Seiko. (Only difference is you will actually read my post, and consider my thoughts, even though you may decide to say 'bugger off'!): Why not put the New Time Horology logo on the crown? On either watch, I think it would look very good engraved on the crown.
    Reminds me of the von buren crown on the squale, subtle and ... interesting

Besides, I feel good when the owner of a logo with an acronym actually knows what it stands for.

BUBI 0_0

By the way,
    How thick would that 36mm SB be? ;)

BUBI 0_0

A bit late to the party here .... Has ordering opened for the Dreadnought 38, or the Willard?

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
    A bit late to the party here .... Has ordering opened for the Dreadnought 38, or the Willard?

My word, you are out of touch.

Well, Ill give you an answer to your question: Its still in the prototype phase, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jbravo View Post

Apprentice

For the 36mm speedbird.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Master
    Regarding the New Time Horology/NTH branding. It did occur to me that there is quite a bit of overlap within the Smiths range, without causing confusion or requiring the need to add additional branding. For instance, there are 4 separate PRS-25 models, 40mm black, 36mm black, 36mm white and 36mm Expedition. More if you count the Acrylic 40mm or the pre rivet bracelet versions.

Being slim of wrist, I am thrilled to see a smaller version of the legendary Dreadnought in the works. Admittedly, I am pleased the NTH isnt going to be on the dial of the production versions. My first thought on seeing the prototype photos, was that Eddie was doing some sort of collaboration with the American NTH, maybe producing watches for the US market or something. I know thats silly, but its what sprung to mind!

Dave

Sorry, I still cannot fathom the need for an NTH parent brand when Eddie has successfully used TimeFactors for years, and it is referred to in almost all exisiting reviews of his watches.
    It already is the parent brand that NTH would seem to want to be, isn't it?

D