closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Not sure if this is correct place. . . . . . .

Not sure if this is correct place. . . . . . .

Hi Guys I had the misfortune of the hard drive on My laptop pack up I've had it replaced with a large solid state drive however on the old hard drive there are a ton of photos nearly all with a large sentimental value such as My eldest Son's wedding day and holiday snaps,flying photos,etc.,what are My options to retrieve these photos I believe a data retrieval company can do this could any kind soul point Me in the right direction many thanks in advance.

I had a problem with a hard drive that became unreadable and there was some information on it that I hadn't backed up. The usual 'windows' based recovery programs couldn't interrogate the drive so I booted the PC with UBUNTU on a USB stick and was fully able to see everything on the drive and was able to recover the files I needed onto the USB stick before installing a new hard drive.

HTH
    Best Regards - Peter

I hate being bipolar, its brilliant.

Might be worth trying a USB Hard Drive Docking Cradle to see if you can view the files.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgLED4&adurl=
    Don't Panic

Guys really appreciate the assistance I will look into both options.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I had a problem with a hard drive that became unreadable and there was some information on it that I hadn't backed up. The usual 'windows' based recovery programs couldn't interrogate the drive so I booted the PC with UBUNTU on a USB stick and was fully able to see everything on the drive and was able to recover the files I needed onto the USB stick before installing a new hard drive.

HTH
    I've used a few live USB tools in the past, the one that stood out was PartedMagic. It was free at the time but looks like it's $11 to download these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    I've used a few live USB tools in the past, the one that stood out was PartedMagic. It was free at the time but looks like it's $11 to download these days.
    Once again appreciate the help I have a few options to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Might be worth trying a USB Hard Drive Docking Cradle to see if you can view the files.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgLED4&adurl=
    I use something similar to access files on hard drives removed from previous PCs. They don't need windows to fire up and just replicate an external drive so might work. You are welcome to borrow mine .

Be very careful. First thing that is always done in all data retrieving companies is to copy the HDD byte by byte, before any other activities.
    Don't let any software check, clean up, or fix anything on that drive. And the most important, if it sounds suspicious, turn it off.
    If it's only the software problem, USB solutions should work, if hardware (electronics, or heads/plates) you have to send it to data retrieving company - they should do the initial expertise for free.

Guys You are awesome appreciate all the kind input I will update You once I have a got My photos back.

Update - The Hard Drive Caddy option sadly didn't do the job I have had a few online quotes looking at around 150 to get the photos off of the old drive Gents once again I am indebted to You for the advice.