closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Online returns (bathroom stuff)

  1. #1

    Online returns (bathroom stuff)

    Looking for a little help here please.

    Ordered a very expensive shower door just before Christmas from an online company.

    I’m not great with these things but the bathroom fitter told me I needed a left hand opening door, when I spoke to the company I reiterated this and she said no problem, door delivered on the 23rd December and sticker says “left” so thought nothing of it.

    Fitter had a spare day today so came over to fit, once the box was opened it was apparent the kit is “right” opening. Fitter said some of the expensive companies do this and it’s very annoying, and look on the manufacturers website shows it is left but if you’re stood in the shower and not outside looking at it (?!?!).

    The company I purchased it from are closed today but from there T&C’s on the site they state 14 days returns? Do I have recourse here? I don’t want to be stuck with a shower door worth over a grand! It was bought with credit card if that helps me?

    Any info appreciated before I ring in the morning......

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    18,444
    I’d say that if the product inside doesn’t match your order nor the label you have all the rights to request both an exchange and an apology.
    The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

  3. #3
    It does match the label, it’s just the manufacturers interpretation of “left hand opening” is different to mine and the woman on the phone I ordered it with.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,832
    While it would be a case of he said she said, on the facts, it seems that you have entered into the contract based on a misrepresentation. They're the experts, not you, so it would be fair to assume you would act in reliance of their advice. They gave incorrect advice. Every company will include the 14 days statement on their site, but just give them a call, most good companies will work to find an amicable solution.

  5. #5
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    7,152
    Does their website state the orientation requirements, when ordering? Seems it does from your post.
    Last edited by Skyman; 19th January 2020 at 19:44.

  6. #6
    The website has changed since December and yes, it does now have a small illustration, without going through what I’ve been through today though anyone would still order LEFT for left hand door opening as it is still not clear.

    This is the sole reason why I rang and didn’t order online, I wanted to be sure and to avoid this exact situation.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,897
    Why can’t it just be exchanged?

    You’d assume a shower door costing over a thousand pounds (!) they’d be happy to swap it rather than lose the sale?

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Why can’t it just be exchanged?

    You’d assume a shower door costing over a thousand pounds (!) they’d be happy to swap it rather than lose the sale?
    The sale has already been made though. I'd imagine that a company who successfully sell thousand pound shower doors (!!) didn't manage that feat through bad customer service.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The sale has already been made though. I'd imagine that a company who successfully sell thousand pound shower doors (!!) didn't manage that feat through bad customer service.

    Let’s hope that’s the case!

    Frustrating as the fitter wasted a couple of hours today, and I was left scraping all the old silicone away....

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Let’s hope that’s the case!

    Frustrating as the fitter wasted a couple of hours today, and I was left scraping all the old silicone away....
    Fingers crossed indeed. See my earlier post though. I am no expert, but certainly sounds like you were enticed into the contract through what turns out to be misrepresentation, and as such they're in breach.

  11. #11
    Master Skyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    7,152
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    While it would be a case of he said she said, on the facts, it seems that you have entered into the contract based on a misrepresentation. They're the experts, not you, so it would be fair to assume you would act in reliance of their advice. They gave incorrect advice. Every company will include the 14 days statement on their site, but just give them a call, most good companies will work to find an amicable solution.
    That depends on which side of the door you are standing. Misrepresentation, not so sure.

  12. #12
    Well, they admitted it was their fault on the phone and asked me to email them, but their reply is now asking for £79.99 to collect and deliver a replacement which is an apparent good will gesture.

  13. #13
    Master IAmATeaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NW London
    Posts
    4,129
    I’d email them back to clarify the gesture?

  14. #14
    I've just spoke to them again on the phone, they are being far from helpful, I'm awaiting clarification via email.

    Needless to say, I won't be using this company again.

  15. #15
    Think this boils down to what's the industry standard way of describing the opening side.

    Also, don't forget, even if within 14 day return window you'd have to pay return postage.

  16. #16
    Surely the pictures on their website showing the shower doors are taken from the perspective of standing outside not inside

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think this boils down to what's the industry standard way of describing the opening side.

    Also, don't forget, even if within 14 day return window you'd have to pay return postage.
    Depends on the reason for return - if it turns out that they agree it's 'faulty' then it's on them to pay for it. But it sounds like they don't think they were wrong.

  18. #18
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    14,067
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Well, they admitted it was their fault on the phone and asked me to email them, but their reply is now asking for £79.99 to collect and deliver a replacement which is an apparent good will gesture.
    To be honest I don't think thats a bad offer. In the scheme of things if it's as expensive a door as you say it's hardly the end of the world. I'd be inclined to just pay it and move on.
    It's just democracy.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Depends on the reason for return - if it turns out that they agree it's 'faulty' then it's on them to pay for it. But it sounds like they don't think they were wrong.
    If it's faulty there's not a 14 day return window.

  20. #20
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Think this boils down to what's the industry standard way of describing the opening side.

    Also, don't forget, even if within 14 day return window you'd have to pay return postage.
    But they need to refund any delivery costs.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    But they need to refund any delivery costs.
    Yes, but arranging return for door oneself will probably cost £50. As already said £79.99 for return and replacement isn't too shabby.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Well, they admitted it was their fault on the phone and asked me to email them, but their reply is now asking for £79.99 to collect and deliver a replacement which is an apparent good will gesture.
    If they've admitted fault then I don't see why you should pay a penny more for this. It's their job to sort out the fault they've admitted to, not yours.

    Though am I reading it correctly that they admitted fault on the phone only? Shame it wasn't in writing!

  23. #23
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    If they've admitted fault then I don't see why you should pay a penny more for this. It's their job to sort out the fault they've admitted to, not yours.

    Though am I reading it correctly that they admitted fault on the phone only? Shame it wasn't in writing!
    It is why it is always handy to record calls...

  24. #24
    If you paid by credit card they protect you against this sort of thing, contact your card issuer.

  25. #25
    If you bought it in a shop you could have seen it and touched it, I don't think there is any rule or law in DTR saying that the seller has to pay return carriage.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    If they've admitted fault then I don't see why you should pay a penny more for this. It's their job to sort out the fault they've admitted to, not yours.

    Though am I reading it correctly that they admitted fault on the phone only? Shame it wasn't in writing!

    He wouldn't be paying any more for the product, he would be paying for the carriage, a shop doesn't pay your petrol when you take something back.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    He wouldn't be paying any more for the product, he would be paying for the carriage, a shop doesn't pay your petrol when you take something back.
    It's an online retailer. It was delivered to him - he didn't go to a shop to buy it and get it in a car. There are different rights for such purchases.

    The collection from the OP and delivery back to them would have to be paid for by the retailer (either by them organising it or paying the OP back) because, as they've admitted, they were at fault.

  28. #28
    A bit of good news this morning!

    They have emailed and said that the manufacturer will do a swap out free of charge as long as the package is untouched and in saleable condition!

    We have literally just opened the box and the fitter knew straight away it was wrong so pictures have been sent and **hopefully** we can get this sorted with no cost to me.

    It took a while to get there but fingers crossed all sorted, I WILL NOT be using this company again, their handling of the matter has been awful.

    Cheers

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes, but arranging return for door oneself will probably cost £50. As already said £79.99 for return and replacement isn't too shabby.
    I would leave them in charge of the return - that way from collection they are responsible not you.

  30. #30
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    12,219
    Get down victorian plumbing, you can get a shower door for 80 quid from them!

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    I would leave them in charge of the return - that way from collection they are responsible not you.
    Comment was concerning returning in 14 day period allowed for change of mind. No reason for them to deal with it.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Comment was concerning returning in 14 day period allowed for change of mind. No reason for them to deal with it.
    This thread is nothing to do with change of mind.

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Comment was concerning returning in 14 day period allowed for change of mind. No reason for them to deal with it.
    I just meant 79 for collecting and replacing a large, expensive glass shower door would be worth it to me rather than risk my carrier breaking or losing it.

  34. #34

    Online returns (bathroom stuff)

    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    This thread is nothing to do with change of mind.
    Read back though my posts in context.

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Read back though my posts in context.
    Your posts do not seem to be in any way relevant to the OPs issue.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Get down victorian plumbing, you can get a shower door for 80 quid from them!
    Yes, but we had a reasonably cheap one before and the sliding door literally exploded while my Wife was cleaning it hence going for an expensive 10mm thick glass one now.

    The previous one wasn't exactly cheap, the make was Kudos and I believe the builder that built my house paid circa £400 for it (when the house was built 4 years ago), the glass was 8mm but there must have been some sort of fault with it as it broke for no apparent reason whatsoever.

    As my young Daughter also uses the shower my Wife was paranoid hence going for a more substantial one now.

  37. #37
    **UPDATE**

    All now sorted, correct (hopefully) door delivered and old one taken away.

    It was Merlyn, the manufacturer, who came good in the end and not the seller. They, as a good will gesture, did a swap out as the wrongly supplied door was unused and in saleable condition. Hats off to them!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information