closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dubrovnik - Thoughts and Recommendations

Blog Entries

Dubrovnik - Thoughts and Recommendations

Chaps,

Looking at a short Spring break destinations and Mrs P is thinking Dubrovnik and Nearby for say four days.

We generally grab an apartment, any ideas would be great, is four days enough in the city, is there anywhere nearby worth considering, questions, questions......

Many thanks

Pitch

Mostar is well worth a day, and if you can visit the fascinating stećak necropolis at Radimlja on the way then you absolutely should.

We stayed in the hotel Villa Dubrovnik, probably one of the nicest places we have stayed, although we were 20 years younger!

We are staying at the Hilton Imperial in May. Great location and a superb breakfast. Lots of Airbnb around if you want that sort of thing

Master
    Small and busy, you wont need 4 days!

Loads to do , it’s a stunning city. If you can get a private tour you should grab it to learn about the history of the place. Even recent history is rack at it . To think that they were being shelled from the surrounding hillside less than a generation ago is sobering .
    There’s numerous boat trips from the small harbour taking you to numerous small islands nearby . A trip to Cavtat is highly recommended wether you go by bus or by boat.
    Walk the wall in the afternoon when all the cruise ship passengers have left otherwise it can get very congested.
    We stopped in Lapad , a good walk into Dubrovnik so it felt a bit out of the way but the hotel itself was beautiful with every room overlooking the sea and breakfast served on the terrace, also overlooking the sea . I recall it being quite a bit cheaper than the city centre itself .
    The flight path into the airport is amazing too if you can get a window seat .

Four days is more than enough for just Dubrovnik itself - it’s a fantastic place, but small.

I’ve stayed outside in Lapad - bigger, more luxurious hotels, pools, sun-loungers etc., and easy transport via bus to Dubrovnik.

I’ve also stayed within the walls, in an apartment - excellent to escape the cruise ship madness, and allows you to crawl the Irish bars and then enjoy the fantastic experience of walking around the deserted, atmospheric old town late at night, when it feels like it almost belongs to just you alone (and the cats).

If you have time, a trip into Bosnia for Mostar (and time permitting, Sarajevo) is excellent, as has been mentioned. But maybe a bit time consuming for just a four day trip. A day trip along the coast into Montenegro is also recommended & easy. As noted, there’s plenty of boat tours too.

A few tips:

- Take the cable car and enjoy lunch with incredible views over Dubrovnik & the coast
    - Visit ‘Bar Buza’ - overpriced & no toilets, but hangs outside the walls, over the rocks & sea - spectacular
    - Get off the ‘Stradun’ central street & enjoy getting lost in the alleys & gardens up either side
    - Walk past the main pier to the right, over rocks to a secluded area outside walls, for a swim or suntan
    - Try and time it to avoid the cruise ship disgorgements if possible - it’s already a small place
    - Walking the walls isn’t cheap and to be avoided at busy & hot times, but provides unmissable views
    - The benches in the harbour are a nice place to relax & get a tan, whilst watching fishermen work

Craftsman
    I have also stayed at the Villa Dubrovnik and it is a stunning hotel. I also recommend booking an outside table at the Nautika restaurant.

Journeyman
    Spend the money on a meal at 360, was there last year and we had a very special evening

- - - Updated - - -

Also check out Bowa we got a cabin with some friends and it was a fabulous day

Craftsman

Dubrovnik - Thoughts and Recommendations

Hotel Bellevue - just a few minutes walk from the old town. Great outlook and has a lovely restaurant.

The rather unimaginatively named Restaurant Dubrovnik not far off the Stradum is also very good- you need a reservation ( and a map!).

The Nautika (already mentioned above) is lovely -especially if it’s a warm evening so you can sit on the terrace. But it’s VERY expensive.

Dubrovnik is great for 2-3 days but can get very busy when a cruise ship is in. If you want some peace and quiet the island of Sipan is only an hour away by ferry and the Hotel Bozica is a delight.

Master
    Fantastic weather city and people what’s not to like, seems to off been escalated or the back of the GOT recordings and lots of tourists as a result much has been said below but we did 4 days last year and loved it

Have to say considering the amount t of people there we hardly saw any police which surprised me lots of good restaraunts and bars the cable car I thought was overpriced but great views and dinner at the top. Coral beach bar was great and luxurious for the day along with boat trips to lokrum and island hopping We loved it

Craftsman
    There are 2 Buza Bars (both are really just tables setup up on the rocks, accessed through a hole in the wall), both quite busy at sunset, arrive early and order multiple drinks when you can. Outside of these, we struggled for really good dining in Dubrovnik, definitely make advance reservations.

Staying at an AirBnB might mean carrying your luggage down into the city and then back up to your apartment, there are only a few entrances to the Old Town.

I'd skip the cable car, the most scenic view of the city was from the water. It took a while for the transfer, but renting a jetski made for a fun afternoon. Even better was the side trip to Mostar, but by far my favorite visit in the area was a drive out the Pelješac peninsula and a stay on Korcula. I enjoyed my visit to Korcula so much that I'm planning a return trip, we only spent a pair of days on the island and I'd like to try a week or more. We really impressed, the lovely blue water, the wine, the food, the rustic nature of the place, top marks.

View from Buza at Sunset

If you want to do something exciting. Drive 4 hours or so through Montenegro to Shkoder in Northern Albania.

There's nothing outstanding to see, certainly not an impressive as Dubrovnik, but it's not often you can visit a country and culture that's as different as that area without getting on a long flight. The drive and lunch make it worth it.