closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo XC90 4.4V8

Master
    Blog Entries

Volvo XC90 4.4V8

Looking at a cheap(ish) second seven seater for me to hack about in - the joys of five kids!

Considering one of these. Any previous owners to comment? I've got an '08 2.5D currently so am well aware of the car, just not the engine.

Thanks.

Craftsman
    My understanding is it is a Yamaha V8 and supposed to be very reliable. I've heard some of the jobs (like serpentine belt) can be more time consuming as a result of the size of the engine, with additional components having to be removed to get to things. It is a DOHC V8, so it was never going to be exactly small. Generally though, I've heard good things about them.

That is the worst Volvo you can buy, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    That is the worst Volvo you can buy, nuff said.
    For the benefit of the forum perhaps you could qualify that remark.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I bet it has a lovely "buurble" to it on tickover.

Had one of these when we lived in Oz, the V8 was a standard part of the lineup whereas I believe it was only sold into the UK in small numbers. I hated it, the Mrs liked it. The tech was tired even in 2010 and it was horrible on fuel. Motor sounds were ok but you soon ignored the sound it makes when it was so heavy and dull to drive.

Surely you could do better Dave. ML63 from the same era perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    For the benefit of the forum perhaps you could qualify that remark.
    There is a lot of problems with that car, brakes, suspension, fuel pumps for example. I work with cars and is a swede and hate to work with the XC90. 🤣🤣🤣

Master
    Personally I'd be after a full size people carrier not an SUV, something like a Galaxy or S-Max for full on kid carrying duties. 7 seat SUV's (IME anyway) always seem to have compromised 3rd row access. Not looked at the Volvo though so may be an exception.

Any 4.4l V8 with an old generation engine, and the weight of a large body 4x4 is going to drink fuel like a dehydrated camel.

I had a 3.0TDI Touareg (recent generation) until a few months ago from new (2017 car). Over time it averaged 23mpg. I would expect the Volvo to be considerably worse.

We've recently got my wife an S-Max - superb car in every way.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Personally I'd be after a full size people carrier not an SUV, something like a Galaxy or S-Max for full on kid carrying duties. 7 seat SUV's (IME anyway) always seem to have compromised 3rd row access. Not looked at the Volvo though so may be an exception.
    Do not dismiss a Renault Grand Espace (if buying second hand) or a Renault Grand Scenic (if buying new). I know that mentioning a French maker isn't to the taste of many, but in terms of practicality the Grand Espace is possibly the best car I've driven. Seats are easy to add/remove, volume is ginormous and you have significant bagage space even with all seats. The one thing I was not so keen on (as with most other people carriers) was the driving position, a bit too van-like. I believe the Grand Scenic improves on paracticality by not having to remove the seats, but I haven't tried one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I had 2 VW Tourans, one after the other - a 1.9 tdi and a 1.6tdi, when I had young kids and lots of kit to lug around. At the same time my mate had an XC90 and the interior of the Touran was more spacious in every way, which I find really surprising. They may not be fashionable, but van shaped MPV’s make much more sense than an SUV for people carrying duties imho. Ok neither of the Tourans were rocket ships, but I had zero issues with either and averaged around 50mpg with both engines if I remember correctly. I currently drive and XC60 which is a lovely car but again, nowhere near as practical as the Touran

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    It won't be used as the main 7 seater.
    Just a spare. The current XC90 we have has been brilliant so that was my thinking. However, as mentioned above, I do find it terribly dull to drive so would imagine that will be the case even with a V8 upfront.
    Maybe a rethink needed!

*fires up Autotrader to search for GL500...

That age BMW X5 4.4 V8 would be a more interesting drive, not sure when the 7 seat option became available though.

My taxi driver friend in NL, had a Cadilac Escalade converted to LPG. 7 seats. Very comfortable and zero problems in the 350Km he owned it.

Replaced it with a Tesla X, but it cost him about 110k euros!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    My taxi driver friend in NL, had a Cadilac Escalade converted to LPG. 7 seats. Very comfortable and zero problems in the 350Km he owned it.

Replaced it with a Tesla X, but it cost him about 110k euros!

He did just over 200 miles in it, and with no problems?

Hardly conclusive!

So clever my foot fell off.

Fair play Dave, I'm not sure what is more scary, the V8 fuel consumption or having 5 kids!