closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Uxbridge Road - anybody know this building?

Uxbridge Road - anybody know this building?

Hi all

Does anyone recognise this building in Uxbridge Road? If so, is it still there? I’m guessing the sculpture on the left hand side may be the biggest clue??

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do you know which part of the Uxbridge Road?
    It's bloody long!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Do you know which part of the Uxbridge Road?
    It's bloody long!
    Unfortunately not. All I know is what you see. Constructed in 1963.

Cheers

Foggy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I've asked my wife's family who are from Hayes so Uxbridge Road dwellers.
    At first glance, I thought it was the office block going into Southall but that's much higher. Unless this was added to.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to live on the Uxbridge road in Hayes, opposite the Beck Theatre.

Sorry, don’t recognise the building.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I used to live on the Uxbridge road in Hayes, opposite the Beck Theatre.

Sorry, don’t recognise the building.
    Next to the pub?
    It does great food these days!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Heard back from my father in law and he doesn't recognise it. He's spent fifty odd years driving the length of it too!
    Suggested it could be the Uxbridge road in Slough?

ive found a clue in another picture I have which narrows it down to Ealing.

Cheers

Foggy

Blog Entries
    Yes, I think it's a college in Ealing. I have walked past it a few times, albeit in the now distant past. If I remember correctly it is located on the northern side of Ealing Broadway/Uxbridge Road between the Ealing Broadway station end of Ealing Broadway and Hanwell. I'll see if I can find it on Google Maps.

<later>

Eeek, having looked on Google Maps Streetview it seems that there has been a lot of construction in the area since I was last there. Streetview only goes back to 2008 at the earliest in that area and I think I was probably last there pre-2008.

This building from June 2012 is very similar in style to the one above and has the same number of storeys in the main section (6): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.51...7i13312!8i6656

If they are the same building then it is possible that it has been modified between 1964 and 2012. Also, the elevation in the photo above appears to be a different one to the main road-side view of the building in the Streetview picture.

Note that you can't go and look at the building in the flesh now: As of the most recent (May 2019) Streetview images, its site is an empty plot!

As for the sculpture, I am sure I saw it when I used to walk past there. But I can't find any sign of it on Streetview now.

The most recent use of the building was serviced offices but I seem to remember seeing students (and possibly the sculpture) hanging around near the rightmost doors on the main road side.

** edit **
    Top down view of the location of the building above (although it's an empty plot as of the current Google Maps imagery dated 2020): https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5121.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th January 2020 at 18:15.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    there was a pub on the corner, I cant remember the name though as I’m going back 30 years now.

Next to the pub?
    Cheers,

Ben

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Just had a look on google maps, I used live above one of these shops and I’m sure the pub was called the Crown even back then.

Happy days 

Next to the pub?
    Cheers,

Ben

I used to live in Ealing and live nearby now...regularly run down Uxbridge Road from West Ealing to the Common and don’t recognise it. I’m in agreement with mark...although not in its original form, first place I thought of was by the Police Station/Fire Station exactly where he has marked.

Police station, West Ealing is my bet!

Otherwise, it is very similar.

Lived there from 1995 to 2001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Police station, West Ealing is my bet!

Otherwise, it is very similar.

Lived there from 1995 to 2001
    I thought that the maximum was 96 hours

Reminds me a bit of this one.

Here’s another pic that shows the surrounding area as it was in 1964. I know that the building on the left was in the banana business. It also shows the hoarding of the developers - Token.

Still not much to go on, but you never know.....

Cheers

Foggy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The treasure is gone in case your wondering, that statue goes down in ealing folklore as being pure green .

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post

Reminds me a bit of this one.
    I used to work near that one

It’s a very standard pattern building of its time. I used to work in exactly the same style of building on Sopers Lane in Poole, even down to the same colour of glass as I remember.

I live in Ealing
    I think that building was knocked down and replaced with a new resi development a few years ago
    If I remember correctly it was on the north side of the road between the broadway and fire station. Just past the town hall.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th January 2020 at 09:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I thought that the maximum was 96 hours
    Ha Ha. You got me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    I used to work near that one
    Me too, just the other side of the railway line

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I live in Ealing
    I think that building was knocked down and replaced with a new resi development a few years ago
    If I remember correctly it was on the north side of the road between the broadway and fire station. Just past the town hall.
    I think this description would concur with the building I identified in #9 above.

I am still not sure that that is the same building as in the OP's photos but they are certainly very, very similar.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th January 2020 at 02:53.

The church top right in the bottom picture looks like St Johns church (the crenelated top is distinctive) which lies behind Uxbridge road in Ealing. If it is I'd say that building would have sat somewhere between Culmington Road and Bond St, that section has been heavily redeveloped in the past 50 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    The church top right in the bottom picture looks like St Johns church (the crenelated top is distinctive) which lies behind Uxbridge road in Ealing. If it is I'd say that building would have sat somewhere between Culmington Road and Bond St, that section has been heavily redeveloped in the past 50 years.
    For what it's worth, the building I identified in #9 above is situated between Culmington Road and Bond Street, although both those roads are on the south side of Uxbridge Road whereas 'my' building is on the north side.

In top down view, the location of the building I identified is here (although it's an empty plot as of the current Google Maps imagery dated 2020): https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5121.../data=!3m1!1e3. This is on the corner of Uxbridge Road and St. Leonard's Road (that is to say on the north side of Uxbridge Road).

For the avoidance of doubt, is the St. John's Church you are referring to the one on Mattock Lane, here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...23!4d-0.317178

P.S. Some of the 19thC houses made of yellow London brick in that area are really beautiful imo.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 20th January 2020 at 19:31.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    the location of the building I identified is here (although it's an empty plot as of the current Google Maps imagery dated 2020): https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5121.../data=!3m1!1e3
    That plot is now occupied by The Arc building so the google maps is a bit out of date (2 or so years)

The whole north side of Broadway / Uxbridge Road has completely changed over the last 10 years

Edit I am wrong The Arc is about 3 plots down that plot is still empty bar the foundations and rebar!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 20th January 2020 at 18:48. Reason: Ignore me I am wrong!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That plot is now occupied by The Arc building so the google maps is a bit out of date (2 or so years)

The whole north side of Broadway / Uxbridge Road has completely changed over the last 10 years

Edit I am wrong The Arc is about 3 plots down that plot is still empty bar the foundations and rebar!
    Yup. For the avoidance of doubt, the plot I am referring to is on the corner of Uxbridge Road and St. Leonard's Road (that is to say on the north side of Uxbridge Road).