closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This Fake Omega Seamaster Is Unbelievable

Craftsman

This Fake Omega Seamaster Is Unbelievable

Well fakes have been around for a long time and as we know there getting awfully good each year that goes buy.

This is a great comparison of a seamaster fake, a popular watch here on the forum, which is scarily good.

https://youtu.be/8izNCg4-mgc

Awareness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to make more and more people look to the AD to purchase if they keep improving fakes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    On the face of it it looks like a good quality fake. Then you just need a 4x magnifying eye glass and all is revealed. Sloppy finishing all over the dial and case back.

Still I’m surprised this has been faked so well so quickly.

Craftsman
    There have been several reports on YouTube about the high quality fake Oris Aquis divers watches, so the fake machine doesn't care about brand.

Master
    Scary viewing. Glad I brought mine from an AD!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Scary viewing. Glad I brought mine from an AD!
    Or watchfinder.. cos they know what they are doing and know how to spot a fake.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    A pity the video doesn’t give more detail about the movement, it looks like the fake has a free- sprung balance and that makes it much more difficult to spot. I’m assuming the escapement isn’t co- axial, but that’s difficult to see. Might watch it again and play ‘spot the difference’.

Fakes of this quality are going to fool a lot of people.

Journeyman
    The accuracy of some of these fakes is phenomenal, scary stuff.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Interesting and scary indeed but more as to how messy the fake looks in detail ! It is indeed 400£ down the drain. On the other hand you can get a nice AT Homage for 50£ and that's probably a better bargain, financially and morally ;-)

I know the finish was a bit rough when magnified but without having the 2 side by side I’d never tell ,I’ve never looked at a watch that close ,I think I may start .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A pity the video doesn’t give more detail about the movement, it looks like the fake has a free- sprung balance and that makes it much more difficult to spot. I’m assuming the escapement isn’t co- axial, but that’s difficult to see. Might watch it again and play ‘spot the difference’.

It's not actually a copy of the omega movement. It's their very basic ETA copy with a main plate matching the omega placed on top. In some of the shots you can see it has a fake free sprung looking balance that does not move, and just below it the real balance which is certainly not free sprung.

In some respects it is frighteningly accurate, but as usual, the corners cut to dress the movement up are pretty easy too see if you've ever handled an 8000 series movement.

Master
    In my local pub there is someone who is selling very good replica watches and has been for the last 2 years including Rolex and Patek.

I have handled these and looked at them in detail and they would fool probably 90 to 95% of the buying public.

They have all the correct documents if you pay a little more and they even feel in weight the same as the original.

They tend to sell for between 300 to 500 hundred and there is never a shortage of people buying them.

I would never buy any expensive watch now unless it was an AD or reputable dealer.

Glad i bought mine at an AD or is it a fake???

I was in bali and was staggered at the fakes that were for sale. Even relatively new and inexpensive models like the new bell and ross divers and black bay bronze. They were really deceptive and no shortage of idiots paying 500 quid for royal oak fakes

Master
    Blog Entries
    I saw the WF video - Weren't the crown guards the first 'tell'?

Craftsman
    Scary to see how quick it was faked, and the efforsts to fake the movement too.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    In my local pub there is someone who is selling very good replica watches and has been for the last 2 years including Rolex and Patek.

I have handled these and looked at them in detail and they would fool probably 90 to 95% of the buying public.

They have all the correct documents if you pay a little more and they even feel in weight the same as the original.

They tend to sell for between 300 to 500 hundred and there is never a shortage of people buying them.

I would never buy any expensive watch now unless it was an AD or reputable dealer.

I sincerely hope the former... or you're on the wrong forum...

Master
    I wander if the micro adjust clasp is any good. If I could get one cheaper than the omega clasp for my PO I'd consider it. However although there are lots of Rolex glidelock cheap copies about I've not seen any omega clasps.

Master
    One way to see which one is fake is to look at the way the seconds hand moves. The watch on the left in the video has a slower rate. ie on the real watch the seconds hand is smoother, more vibrations. I've noticed that fakes tend to have 4 or 5 bps movements.
    Last edited by Tiny; 20th January 2020 at 20:54.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I wander if the micro adjust clasp is any good. If I could get one cheaper than the omega clasp for my PO I'd consider it. However although there are lots of Rolex glidelock cheap copies about I've not seen any omega clasps.
    Why put a fake clasp on a genuine watch?

Craftsman
    I’m not so sure that buying from an AD is a sure guarantee of not getting a fake. At least one Rolex AD I know puts returned watches straight back in the window and has staff that would be fooled by even simple fakes. It would be easy to buy a real watch from that shop and return a fake one. Not likely but possible. So the only way to be 100% sure it to order a watch from an AD and see it unboxed in front of you. Personally, I would be very reluctant to buy from store inventory.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I’m not so sure that buying from an AD is a sure guarantee of not getting a fake.
    This feels like boarder line scaremongering.
    You’re correct in that nothing in life is 100% certain (except death & taxes), but you are highly unlikely to receive a fake watch from an AD. Anyway, in the extremely unlikely event that you did, you have a proper recourse to get your money back.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    This feels like boarder line scaremongering.
    You’re correct in that nothing in life is 100% certain (except death & taxes), but you are highly unlikely to receive a fake watch from an AD. Anyway, in the extremely unlikely event that you did, you have a proper recourse to get your money back.
    Agreed. Serial number checks would catch this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

The free sprung balance thing always makes me laugh on TRF. First thing anyone says, “check mvt, if it’s not got a free spring balance it’s fake. Nobody fakes a free spring balance”. I always say it’s very dangerous to assume that.

Ref the free sprung balance , looking at the video at around 6:57, it looks like it is just a pretend regulator and balance bridge mounted on top of a conventional movement.
    Definitely not a co-axial;escapement, but just a tarted movement to look like the real thing. The balance is not free sprung it is just made to look like it is (but agree with the above, if the fakers can get to that level of accuracy it would not take much sweat to do a free sprung balance - probably best not to rely on that alone to establish if a watch is genuine).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Agreed. Serial number checks would catch this.
    Of of course. Because it would be well beyond the capabilities of people who can produce good fakes to inscribe upon them the actual serial number of the real watch once it is known. You are a genius.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Satori; 19th January 2020 at 10:40.

The fake doesn't have a free sprung balance because its "bridge" is a fake one positioned over the top of a traditional balance cock.

Genuine

Fake

You cant see the balance pivot oscillating under the capstone on the fake because it's not there, it's underneath the fake bridge in the functional balance cock!

Of of course. Because it would be well beyond the capabilities of people who can produce good fakes to inscribe upon them the actual serial number of the real watch once it is known. You are a genius.
    [/QUOTE]

Do you think that would be done and returned from Far East within 14 days?

Craftsman
    Do you think that would be done and returned from Far East within 14 days?[/QUOTE]

Damn it. I forgot that there is no engraving equipment in the whole of Europe. My master plan foiled again Sherlock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Why not share this information with the Police and/or your Trading Standards department? If the pub is part of a national chain how about informing head office of this criminal activity taking place on the premises?

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    There have been several reports on YouTube about the high quality fake Oris Aquis divers watches, so the fake machine doesn't care about brand.
    Not seen the YouTube vids, but the Fortis Facebook group has regular "is this a real Oris Aquis?" posts which have tended to go into meltdown mode because Oris changed some details of the movements they use fairly recently, so newer watches can look different to older versions of the same model.

That's not to say there are not "genuine" fake Aquiss out there, but I've not personally seen one yet... Certainly shedloads of nastyass Indian fake Oris (and every other brand) out there bought daily by morons who think a mint vintage big-name watch is haveable for $25...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Or watchfinder.. cos they know what they are doing and know how to spot a fake.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
    They've had to take back a fake or two that they've sold to other dealers...Tudor, ISTR.

I thought this was rather a giveaway

Master
    I’m not so sure that buying from an AD is a sure guarantee of not getting a fake. At least one Rolex AD I know puts returned watches straight back in the window and has staff that would be fooled by even simple fakes. It would be easy to buy a real watch from that shop and return a fake one. Not likely but possible. So the only way to be 100% sure it to order a watch from an AD and see it unboxed in front of you. Personally, I would be very reluctant to buy from store inventory.
    Settle down! I’m pretty sure there more thorough than your suggestion!