closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone gone from Apple OS to Andriod

Anyone gone from Apple OS to Andriod

Turns out my phone may need more than a battery. I quite like the eco system but the price point is a little excessive for me right now.

Anyone moved to android and found it ok? I played with a Samsung s5 but just don’t like the look and feel. I was wondering if that would pass with time.

Craftsman
    Yes, best move I ever made and that's from a apple fanboy. I had the whole eco system with apple. I moved to Samsung and the note9 so much easyer and alot less restricted.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add.

It did take about a month or 2 to get used to the differences..

Yes, quite painless if you're not precious about your WhatsApp chat history. Can't keep that if moving from android to apple or vice versa.

What's important to you in a phone? Samsung does a good package but personally I don't like it. After years of Apple I switched at the 8 Plus and got a Pixel 2 XL. I prefer a clean OS without bloatware and for that reason couldn't touch a Samsung although they have great screens and good cameras.

Best Android but expensive: Pixel 4 XL
    Best Android for the price by miles but truly awful camera: OnePlus 7T.
    Coming soon: Pixel 4a (cheaper version of the 4 XL with less specs)

What's important to you?

After around 10yrs of iPhones up to the 6 - I made the change to a Note9

Sure - a difficult transition period, getting used to the new style, but love the fact you can store 256Gb of vids, music, files on the internal micro-sd card, or have a second sim-card.

I wouldn’t go back to iPhone.

Craftsman
    Sort off, for many years I had to use Apple for work, but always had andriod for personal phone. I perfered Andriod and still use it.

Actually I just want something simple to use with all my apps on a single screen, which I can do on my iPhone.

A nice camera is good as I use it a lot with my son.

The Samsung just had loads of stuff I didn’t like and the navigation with the number of screen just seemed awkward to me.

I am not use why the Apple seems easier to use.

Master
    Yes and then back and forth a few times.
    I find Android the best for me although I can't seem to grasp the wifes S9 layout but the Xperia and P30's in the house I love.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Just stick to what you know and like?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Mrs Tiny73 has and struggled like crazy for 3 months before being relatively “satisfied“. She has good friends in IT who advised her of the benefits but I don’t think she can truly realise the kind of benefits an IT savvy person could.

She’ll never admit it was a mistake mind...

Edited to add; I stayed with apple. I have no complaints, nor am I a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Just stick to what you know and like?

Been really disappointed with my 6s battery life and the relative non support from Apple. New iPhones are just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    Been really disappointed with my 6s battery life and the relative non support from Apple. New iPhones are just too much.
    It's over 4 years old!

They only warranty for 500 charge cycles, batteries do not last forever and they deteriorate both chemically and by the number of charge cycle.

I doubt anybody would assist with a battery issue on a 4 year old phone of any genre without it attracting a bill.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 17th January 2020 at 20:40.

Do you have a budget? Also what GB is your current phone and how much of it is in use?

I made the change a few years and and will never look back. You can get cracking android phones for under £200.

Another poster above mentioned the major benefit of memory card slots and dual Sim if you want it.

I see a constant shift amongst my family and friends away from Apple due to high costs and inflexibility.

I've just tried an iphone XS for a few days and really could not find anything I liked over android, (and I was looking, as I've been disapointed with my last few android phones).

So I've now swapped back to the P30 pro, there are things about both that and the Samsungs I like, and things I don't, but overall IMO they beat the iphone, (much faster too).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    It's over 4 years old!

They only warranty for 500 charge cycles, batteries do not last forever and they deteriorate both chemically and by the number of charge cycle.

I doubt anybody would assist with a battery issue on a 4 year old phone of any genre without it attracting a bill.
    Its had 2 batteries - which I don’t mind. I was going to change it again but the Apple shop said it might be a logic board issue and that I would only know a month after I change the battery. It’s been poor for a year but despite interim visits they said nothing was wrong and I should not change the battery.

I am not even sure whether the software update buggered it. Ironicallly my work iPhone 6 is still going strong, after 4 years and no battery change.

I don’t want to spend more than around £150 ish.

Current phone is 128gb and am using about 20 - 30gb depending when I download my photos.

Just made the jump as well. Impossible to justify the cost of an iPhone with how cheap and impressive the Pixel 3a is. Been very happy with the change

Yes there's a bit of a learning curve and a few little things to get your head around but seeing as it's something you use daily you'll pick it up fast.

Only pain for me was missing Imessage (pretty much my whole family and a majority of friends use iPhones) but WhatsApp is fine as a messaging alternative and better as it's cross platform.

Seems to be very little in it these days. It's not like trying to decide whether to switch from an auto car back to a manual. The law of diminishing returns kicked in long ago when it comes to mobiles, they are all very similar and mimicking the small innovations each releases to market. It's all about the camera for me hence I have a Huawei P30 Pro and before that the 20. The switch is pretty painless.

Don't think you'll get anything good for £150 I'm afraid. Might be worth calling your network and asking for upgrade options? Are you on contract? Is it sim only?

Its had 2 batteries - which I don’t mind. I was going to change it again but the Apple shop said it might be a logic board issue and that I would only know a month after I change the battery. It’s been poor for a year but despite interim visits they said nothing was wrong and I should not change the battery.

I am not even sure whether the software update buggered it. Ironicallly my work iPhone 6 is still going strong, after 4 years and no battery change.

I don’t want to spend more than around £150 ish.

Current phone is 128gb and am using about 20 - 30gb depending when I download my photos.
    Ah, ok.

TBH you are not going to get much for £150.

Will have wait in the sales corner.

any recommendations what I should be looking for?

Will have wait in the sales corner.

any recommendations what I should be looking for?
    Honestly, upping the budget.

SydR
    Moved from IOS to android a few years ago, hated it, and moved back within a year.

Had an Android phone in job. Had enough of it in 2 days. Terrible experience, even after 3 years I am thinking about therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Had an Android phone in job. Had enough of it in 2 days. Terrible experience, even after 3 years I am thinking about therapy.
    Sounds like you probably need it.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    That’s funny !! Lol

My play with a Samsung s5 was not great but will go into a shop tomorrow.

I am SIM only with 3.

Master
    Member ACG goes through phases of flipping phones, keep an eye on SC.

I went through a similar dilemma this time last year. Being not happy with the battery life and occasional random shutdowns of my 6s. Took into the Apple Store a couple of times and being advised the battery was in good health and did not require replacement. The cost of a modern iPhone was daunting, £1000 upwards for the flagship XS.

Over a couple of months, I worked through my options at different price points. Avoided Samsung due to bloatware, having a Samsung version of every stock google app and then some is simply unnecessary, and you can’t uninstall any of it. Not that it bothers my wife in the slightest!

At the budget end I liked the Xiaomi A2 which used Android One rather than their MIUI, with a almost stock clean interface and guaranteed os updates, something very few Android phones do well. The A3 is now available.

At the midrange the Oneplus 6T stood out. I used the Oneplus One a few years back alongside a Nexus tablet and was impressed. It is still in a drawer as a emergency back up phone. Oneplus Oxygen OS is well regarded although I felt the underscreen fingerprint scanner a bit gimmicky. Current equivalent would be the 7t which is more expensive.

At the top end I chose the iPhone XR. The combination of the low resolution screen (same as 6s basically) with a massive (for apple!) battery was very favourably reviewed. The iPhone 11 is cheaper!

In the end, I went for the XR for three reasons. First is that I use an iPad and it really complements the iPhone in daily use. Second, long term software support is important to me. The third reason was a reasonable trade in offer from Apple for my 6s and a interest free credit option that was better value that a new phone contract with my provider. I was able to keep using a cheaper sim only tariff.

The XR has been great, once I got used to the size and weight of it. Due to the glass front AND back, it’s in a decent case from Mous. I thought I would miss the fingerprint scanner but Face ID works really well.

That said, Apple are really stingy with extras, I had to buy a headphone jack adapter for my car and the 5w charger in the box is pathetic. I use the charger from my iPad but looking at more powerful options. After a poor first impression of AirPods, I have bought Bose Soundsports.

I have since traded in my 2017 iPad for the 2019 iPad Air 3. I guess I’m sticking with iOS for the next couple of years.

Dave

P.S. last years Google Pixel 3a was well received with stock Android, guaranteed software updates and a best in price range camera. If I’d waited until that had been released, the outcome may have been different. Keep an eye out for this years 4a...
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 17th January 2020 at 23:57.

Craftsman
    I made the switch years ago when my iPhone 4 needed replacing and I felt the iPhone 5 wasn't a big enough change. I suspect I was also a bit bored as I'd had the original iPhone and the 3G. I went to a Samsung S4 and felt it and Android were miles ahead of what Apple could offer. I'd say the best features of both have now largely merged.

For those who have had a negative Android experience, it can be very much manufacturer dependent. For a while, the Samsung variety of Android was terrible, but with the S6 they toned it down and got much closer to root Android. My S7 Edge died after nearly three years and so I switched to a Xiaomi Mi 9T, which is absolutely excellent, especially for the money. As others have also said, I feel iPhones are insanely priced for what they are. Having said that, I still always have a Macbook Pro, as I think OS X is a fantastic laptop OS.

Craftsman
    I was a longtime Android user but have moved to Apple. All my family use Apple and the ease of using iMessage on my iPhone and iPad makes it a no brainer for me.

Android potentially offers more flexibility and is certainly cheaper, but my primary need is easy communications with my family.

I moved from Apple to android a few years ago. I set up my android app icons in the same order as my iPhone.

On the home screen I have 10 app icons and Google assistant bar. All the remaining app icons are on second and third screen. To me navigation is easier this way.

One quirk if I remember correctly is that on iPhone you can navigate back and forward on web pages easier. Also you can tap the top of the screen on an iPhone and scroll back up to the top of the web page. I cannot do this on my Google Pixel 2 but may have missed it.

I think the pixel is great phone and the camera is great.

I have a Gmail account for the purpose of operating the pixel, Chrome and Google photos but otherwise use my Outlook email app as I do not like Gmail and Google calendar interface. Contacts are stored on Outlook even when I had my iPhone and transition to pixel was fine.

On my wife's iPhone I have downloaded Chrome, Google photos which automatically uploads camera photos and have a Gmail account. Contacts are already stored in Outlook. When my wife's 5s needs replacing, it will be an Android and hopefully should be a case of switching on and logging in and everything should be up and running.

As I have an iPad, I use Chrome which has all my bookmarks as per my pixel and easier to view Pixel photos on my iPad using Google photos app. Again, outlook app is used for email and contacts. The iPads calendar app has been set up with outlook as the default calendar.

This is how I have set up but there is most likely a more efficient way. But this has made transition from IPhone to pixel work well and in combination with using my iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    Member ACG goes through phases of flipping phones, keep an eye on SC.
    :)

I’m cured though I think.

I went the other way and an 3 months in with an 11 pro and still don’t feel the desire to change.

The only thing I’d mention is having to deal with ads in YouTube. Didn’t have that with Android

Maybe the S20 will tempt me but probably not.

Oneplus are good but their upgrade cycle is too quick if you change phone

Honestly, as others have said, £150 isn’t going to get you the best experience.

Pixel 3A is a good shout or something from xioami/redmi.

The S5 is ancient and not a good advertisement for Android. A Samsung from 6 years ago is nothing like modern Android

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

I went the other way and an 3 months in with an 11 pro and still don’t feel the desire to change.

The only thing I’d mention is having to deal with ads in YouTube. Didn’t have that with Android

Maybe the S20 will tempt me but probably not.

Oneplus are good but their upgrade cycle is too quick if you change phone

Honestly, as others have said, £150 isn’t going to get you the best experience.

Pixel 3A is a good shout or something from xioami/redmi.

The S5 is ancient and not a good advertisement for Android. A Samsung from 6 years ago is nothing like modern Android
    Indeed and (assuming it hasn't received modern updates from Samsung) was during the middle of Samsung's bloated OS phase.

Master
    Of course you'll get something half decent for £150. Argos would appear to have to Moto G7 for £140 at the moment, not an aspirational consumer item but my G5 is fine for most things so I'm sure the G7 will be too.

Alternatively Morgan computers always seem to have a selection of refurb iPhones at a good price.

thanks all. Will just have to keep a look out for a phone and put the bike exhaust on hold!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

I’ll take that comment back then, my apologies!

Dave

well I have been playing with the s5 and it's ok. Went to a shop and the Sony L3 and Samsung A10 all look ok.

Had a play with the pixel 3a and that was very nice.

So Will give it another week with the bloated Samsung and see how I get on, before choosing a handset.

I’m not sure android works out a lot cheaper. You’ve stretched your iphones life out to 4 years, I found most android handsets stop getting updates and slow considerably after 18 months, and I’ve also had 2 sd cards die on me and lose all my pictures. If you consider your iPhone to be a camera, communication device, web browser etc are they really that crazily priced? - I’ve been back and forth between android and apple, sticking with Apple now as they just work, without faffing about. Ymmv, but I wouldn’t go back to android, especially not something like huawei if you value your personal data (probably nonsense but I won’t be taking a chance)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Hot UK Deals a deal was posted for Google pixel XL new boxed for £159 from London Magic Ebay.

Journeyman
    Went from Apple to Samsung and just gone back. Not an Apple fanboy but Android was 2 years of pain after apple

I've had Samsung S4, S6 and S9s as work phones and they're fine devices but I can't get on with the stuff they lay over Android. I much prefer the stock Android (or Android One) phones. The Samsung S5 you're trying isn't a great advert for Android.

If the budget is fixed at £150 you could do a lot worse than this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VB9MMMW

I actually made the reverse journey. 10 years of Android ownership, dipping occasionally into iOS for work phones but never loving it. I just became sick of the Google attitude towards services and apps, where they get abandoned just as you're getting used to them. Apple's approach to privacy, refined (albeit locked down) UI, and software reliability just appeal to me more in my 30s. Plus their device support is always longer than Android, so far.

Nothing wrong with either system though, go with what you like.

Craftsman
    well I have been playing with the s5 and it's ok. Went to a shop and the Sony L3 and Samsung A10 all look ok.

Had a play with the pixel 3a and that was very nice.

So Will give it another week with the bloated Samsung and see how I get on, before choosing a handset.
    Don't get too hung up on how the screens are set up etc, Nova launcher is a very popular app you can download from the play store that allows you to modify the look and feel to ridiculous levels of detail. I'm sure there are other good launchers that other can recommend too.
    Also, Motorola make minimal changes to android on their phones. They have plenty models that start at less that £100. My daughter has the G7 Play which has been great. I think it was £130 and is dual sim if that's of any use to you. Obviously at that price point it's not going to feel like a £500+ phone but it does all the basics well.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Sort off, for many years I had to use Apple for work, but always had andriod for personal phone. I perfered Andriod and still use it.
    Exactly the same.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

As a side point if you're switching or not please download Google photos from the app/play store. Makes life 100x easier and is just good sense to do so.

Apprentice
    Have been on Android forever (since Gingerbread, and that was on my first smartphone after some featurephones). A few months ago changed work, and got a brand new iPhone X.

In general everything is OK. The Google apps are decent, you learn how the UI works quite fast and it's not like you'll be missing essentials. But, there's a huge chunk of things you might have grown used to on Android that simply doesn't exist in iOS. Notifications are terrible in comparison. Apps are far less capable of doing things in the background. Depending on the app it'll be sorta random if things open in Safari vs Chrome, or Apple Maps vs Google Maps if you have both options installed. Google Photos doesn't sync well if you don't open the app regularly.

I got tired of it, so bought myself a new Android phone (Sony Xperia XZ3) and let my work manage it so I'm not missing out on work things. And it's fantastic. Nothing like a 2 month iOS experience to make you really understand how great modern Android is.

Went from Apple (iphone 6) to Android (galaxy s10e) last year. Android is fantastic, and new phone is far better than equivalent iphone.