closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Engagement Watch - Advice Please

Apprentice

Engagement Watch - Advice Please

I’m new here and after a bit of advise please, I am going to propose to my partner and I want to get him an engagement watch rather than a ring. He has a collection of a few different watches already and I haven’t got that big of a budget - £1500. I know he likes vintage watches so wondering if I should go down the second hand route but not sure what I could get for that sort of money. But with it being an engagement gift it would be nice to get a brand new watch. I know everyone has different tastes but if anyone has any ideas or if you have been proposed to with a watch, what watch was it? Or if you were being proposed to what watch would you like?
    Thanks in advance, any help/info/advice is very much appreciated!

Craftsman
    Have a look at the Longines Heritage watches. Incredibly stylish for the money

What has he already got?

I bought myself a Longines Legend Diver for my wedding/engagement watch - vintage styling and now comes in a variety of 36mm variants as well to suit, there's a nice faux tropical dial that looks proper vintage https://www.longines.co.uk/watch-heritage-l3-374-4-60-0

Apprentice
    Thanks.

Off the top of my head, IWC, Tudor, Rolex, Omega....

I know I’m not going to get anything like that with my budget though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I proposed to my wife I made it clear I had spent all my money on the ring and now couldn't afford to buy myself something to remember the occasion by.

She bought me a omega seamaster as that was what I had always wanted after seeing it pop up in Goldeneye :)

Great quality from Omega and will go on forever. Even Prince William still wears the one his Mum gave him when he was a kid.

A used one of these will be around your budget.

I also picked up off here another nice seamaster for my sister in law to give to my brother in law as a wedding present. That too is a lovely watch and in your budget especially if you go for a quartz movement...

Last edited by adesmith; 17th January 2020 at 15:33.

Apprentice
    Thank you that’s really helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that budget I'd definitely look at Longines. They aren't top of the tree but for my money they're definitely the classiest brand in that sort of cash range. If he likes diver-style watches then the Legend Diver is something that fits that yet has a bit of style and class.

Craftsman
    My son's wife bought him a Nomos as a wedding gift, and as he already had a Rolex Explorer for most day to day duties, so the simplicity and style of the Nomos really covered other more formal occasions.

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/watc...ilies/tangente

is in budget new.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I always think it's a time to go shopping together whether it be rings or watches (that way he appreciates the sentiment and gets the watch he wants). But let him buy lunch
    Last edited by Suds; 18th January 2020 at 16:14.

I'd be going used Grand Seiko with the quartz 9F movement. I just got a black dial SBGX061 and it's stunning. Amazing tech and the dial is wonderful. Proper watch geek's watch and great value if you can find a good used example.

When we got engaged a few years back we decided that my wife would buy me a watch, and she got a ring.
    The main advice, is ask him what he wants, in the same way my wife did not expect me to be able to guess what exact ring she wanted. We made a weekend trip out of it, went to the Birmingham Jewelry Quarter to order the ring, and likewise shop for the watch.

I ended up with a Rolex 15200, and its something that you are going to have for the rest of your life.

Journeyman
    Dress watch for sure, Zenith Elite is cool

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

Master
    I, too, would suggest Longines at this price range.

Craftsman
    What about something like the Sinn 1736?

Apprentice
    Thanks all for the advice/recommendations. I really like the Longines watches so think I’ll go down that route.

Junghans max bill chronoscope. A little over your budget but I think it’s worth it

https://www.johnlewis.com/junghans-0...white/p2031187

Master
    Blog Entries

I really like this. “Vintage” looks and a patina that will develop over the time you spend together.

Craftsman
    These are available new for just over a grand. Took this picture on my own wrist at an AD a couple of months ago...

Watches, just like rings are a very personal thing and it’s best if you both go shopping for them together.

- - - Updated - - -

Watches, just like rings are a very personal thing and it’s best if you both go shopping for them together.