closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holiday recommendations in March

Master

Holiday recommendations in March

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on a quick family holiday in mid March this year. I haven’t been away at this time of year before or done this kind of holiday so dont really know where to go. Probably one of the nicer resorts in Spain, Greece etc but don’t want somewhere full of drunken fighting and unpleasantness!

Whilst the boys will be out and about I will probably spend most of my time by the pool enjoying a book and a beer or 2.

I am broadly looking for:

Sun (doesn’t need to be crazy hot but warm is fine!)

Close - don’t really want to fly more than 2-2.5 hrs

Plenty to do for young men - I have 3 sons in their early 20’s so need to have the usual entertainment for them (bars etc)

Nice hotel - looking for a nice 4/5 start hotel with nice pools and bars etc.

Somewhere that is open - I know a lot of resorts close at this time of year but I am hoping to find somewhere with decent shopping, bars and restaurants

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    March,Sun,Warm,2hr flight, mmmm.please post details when you find it,

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    March,Sun,Warm,2hr flight, mmmm.please post details when you find it,
    Don’t mind going up to 2.5 hours. 3 at a push!

Not looking for tropical, anything above 15C is fine!

Canary Islands too far?

Or try :

https://www.expedia.co.uk/vc/c/fligh...-hours-london/

M

Craftsman
    March you're gonna need to up the flights to about 4 to get to the canaries i think

Southern Spain potentially but it'll be hit and miss.

Majorca .
    Palma has some top notch restaurants , hotels and sightseeing opportunities. Plus, there is so much to do, you would easily fill a week.
    A lot of the livelier resorts are a short taxi drive away for the boys if the bars in Palma weren’t lively enough.
    Easy to drive or cycle around .
    Plenty of history in a small space and the weather should be fine by then. You’ll probably have sunny and darker days in a week.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Don’t mind going up to 2.5 hours. 3 at a push!

Not looking for tropical, anything above 15C is fine!

If you’re against canaries and that is where you’re going to get the best temp’s in March time then perhaps Malta?

Stay around St Julian or Sliema, good range of bars, restaurants and the occasional nightclub.Should be around 15-20C in March.

Gozo is worth a visit on the hop on/off bus. You can even walk to Valetta and appreciate the heritage/architecture.

Grand Palladium Palace Ibiza, it's off season so won't be that lively but there will be enough going on for the boys. It's on the beach, tons of smart bars very close.

All inclusive with branded spirits and plenty of bars and restaurants.

Costa del sol. Fly to Malaga. The resorts west of Malaga will be about 20 degree minimum I think. Depends on when in March as well ?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Costa del sol. Fly to Malaga. The resorts west of Malaga will be about 20 degree minimum I think. Depends on when in March as well ?
    If you're lucky! I went in April 2018, had a week of mainly windy and often wet weather, temp was certainly below 20° much of the time. Went in April 2017 and had nice sunny weather with temperatures falling a bit at night when the sun went in. Just been last November and had a week of sunshine, temp around 25°C.

I like Costa Del Sol, especially Malaga, but my advice for guaranteed (almost) warm weather in spring or autumn is Canary Islands.

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, will do some research on them!

Journeyman
    March is offseason in most sunny destinations, the canary islands are the place to go but looking around 4hrs on the plane, well worth it though and I'm sure the lads will thank you..

Sent from my SM-G965F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have been looking at Majorca which seems like a good option. Would it be mostly closed though ?

I have been Tenerife a couple of times and always enjoyed it, it’s a little expensive around this time for some reason and I fancied a change.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Majorca .
    Palma has some top notch restaurants , hotels and sightseeing opportunities. Plus, there is so much to do, you would easily fill a week.
    A lot of the livelier resorts are a short taxi drive away for the boys if the bars in Palma weren’t lively enough.
    Easy to drive or cycle around .
    Plenty of history in a small space and the weather should be fine by then. You’ll probably have sunny and darker days in a week.
    I have found a really good deal for a place in Palma. Do you think there would be a good amount of stuff open in mid/late March?

Journeyman
    Think you will struggle that time of year 2 hours away to get any decent weather, I have just booked Dubai for 1st week in March, 6 hour flight which isn't to bad plus emirates are a joy to fly with. and temp is on average 29 which for me is spot on.

Master
    I’ve been away in March and if you’re lucky Marbella, Majorca, Algarve etc would be fine - as I said if you’re lucky. Hit and miss though. I’d push an extra hour and a bit on a flight and go to the Canaries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    If you’re against canaries and that is where you’re going to get the best temp’s in March time then perhaps Malta?

Stay around St Julian or Sliema, good range of bars, restaurants and the occasional nightclub.Should be around 15-20C in March.

Gozo is worth a visit on the hop on/off bus. You can even walk to Valetta and appreciate the heritage/architecture.
    +1 for Malta. We’re looking at April

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    +1 for Malta. We’re looking at April

Last edited by Harry Smith; 19th January 2020 at 11:39. Reason: Doubled up in error

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I have found a really good deal for a place in Palma. Do you think there would be a good amount of stuff open in mid/late March?

If you’re based in Palma , there will be no shortage of things to do.
    Everything should be open, it’s the capital and caters as much to its population as much as to tourists.
    I’ve been a few times , in and out of season and still maintain its one of the best short flight destinations out there.
    Close to the airport so only a short taxi ride away ( although car hire will probably be about Ł9 a day ) and easy public transport around most of the island.
    Some of the restaurants and bars in Palma are absolutely stunning.
    The central market shouldn’t be missed either. There are seafood stalls that double up as cafes and will prepare fresh fish for you for a few euro.
    Cycling in and around a Palma is really easy and safe.
    Palma Nova, Magaluf etc. are literally round the corner and the lads will certainly find things to do there. They won’t be bouncing as in full season but there will definitely be lots going on.
    Makes me want to go now .
    Also worth noting without teaching my granny to suck eggs, there are some amazing villas available out of season for great prices .
    VRBO and HomeAway.co.uk as well as Airbnb have some cracking deals end of March
    Last edited by thegoat; 19th January 2020 at 12:59.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Majorca in March can be coolish & rainy but can also be sunny. I went to Malta a couple of years ago in March (4 hour flight from Manchester) & it was wet & cold 12c.

I have just come back from 2 weeks in the Riu Nautilus Hotel located on the Paseo about 300 yards from Benalmádena Marina towards Torremolinos, absolutely superb hotel with great sea views, spotlessly clean & good food. Loads to do with good transport links to other resorts on the Costa. Very relaxed atmosphere in the hotel and it’s Adults only.

Temperatures last week were about 20c in the shade so expect 22-23 in mid March & little chance of rain (Feb can be wet). Reasonable prices at that time of the year and 2 hour 30 min flight time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    If you’re based in Palma , there will be no shortage of things to do.
    Everything should be open, it’s the capital and caters as much to its population as much as to tourists.
    I’ve been a few times , in and out of season and still maintain its one of the best short flight destinations out there.
    Close to the airport so only a short taxi ride away ( although car hire will probably be about Ł9 a day ) and easy public transport around most of the island.
    Some of the restaurants and bars in Palma are absolutely stunning.
    The central market shouldn’t be missed either. There are seafood stalls that double up as cafes and will prepare fresh fish for you for a few euro.
    Cycling in and around a Palma is really easy and safe.
    Palma Nova, Magaluf etc. are literally round the corner and the lads will certainly find things to do there. They won’t be bouncing as in full season but there will definitely be lots going on.
    Makes me want to go now .
    Also worth noting without teaching my granny to suck eggs, there are some amazing villas available out of season for great prices .
    VRBO and HomeAway.co.uk as well as Airbnb have some cracking deals end of March
    Great, thanks for that!!

Sounds ideal and I think I will go ahead and book that.

Master
    Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone!

Master
    Palma is great, you won't regret it.

You'd enjoy Malta if it's warm enough for you. I went in April a couple of years ago.

I've also been looking at going away in March and if you just want to sit around in good weather, then Egypt (Sharm etc) looks a likely candidate. I'd have been tempted by Gambia but the collapse of Thomas Cook has made it difficult and expensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I'd suggest the Red Sea resorts in Egypt. The resorts have very high standards of accommodation, food and services, with flights of about 4 hours. There are no beach hawkers, and security is very discreet but ever present.

True, I was there in December (Marsa Alam, Steigenberger Hotel) Jan and Feb are the coldest months (20C), March will be warmer again. Diving and snorkeling are A+. You can rent gear on-site and you can do courses there. The people speak enough English. No problems with that. Don't go there for sightseeing etc. Luxor is 5 hrs by bus on dreadful roads. The Steigenberger only allows 16+ y/o guests. I don't hear the sound of children near the pool and on the beach. (In December, the hotel was filled with school teachers )

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    (In December, the hotel was filled with school teachers )

Menno
    Sounds like a nightmare.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Sounds like a nightmare.
    No, I only found out on the way back to the airport and in the plane. The lady next to me in the plane had -during the holiday- decided to turn in her school batch at the end of the year. 40 yrs in front of classes filled with young adolescents.