closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 84

Thread: Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

  1. #1

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    So after a two year break, where I let my license lapse Iím applying for a shotgun licence. It seems that where I am (Essex) the process has been revamped and is now very quick, the delay is that I now have to supply a form completed by my GP, dropped that in the surgery yesterday and was told that as the doctor does it in private time I have to expect it to take 3-4 weeks and cost £60 +vat! Talk about ďover a barrelĒ £60 to do a 5 minute job and there is nowhere else I can get it done.

    Anyway, just wondered whoís else shoots and what you use, last gun was a Blazer F3 but Iím looking at a Browning Cynergy this time round.

  2. #2
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,613
    Silver pigeon for me.

    the GP letter is a pain, basically a CYA for the police, but it's unfortunately a necessity these days. Just pop in a few times to chivvy the doctor up and I am sure he will do it sooner!!

  3. #3
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Last time I saw my GP I mentioned this charge and he said he wasnít aware of it? Donít think itís mandatory to charge but more at the discretion.

    Beretta DT11 man myself, although been looking at a K gun more recently.

    Only thing thatís happened over the last 2 years is cartridges have got more expensive, and the latest buzz is you have to have faster carts. All blx in my opinion. Stick to one brand/cart and enjoy it. Welcome back to the club, and remember, with regards to reported costs to the misses, all shotguns cost £150

  4. #4
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Bridgnorth Shropshire
    Posts
    130
    Beretta DT11 30” Multichoke sporster. Left handed.
    Lovely shotgun. Bit on the expensive side. But if you like Beretta you will not regret buying it.

    However, for a lot less money, £2000 will get you an almost new Beretta 692.

    DT11 is the top one. 692 below.

    Whenever I buy a used gun I take my time and always pick something with respectable wood. This can take months sometimes. Even years, as being left handed narrows my choice down considerably. Funny, they don’t usually cost anymore. They make no difference to how they shoot. But why buy a plank when you don’t have to.

    Last edited by Metalic Mud; 17th January 2020 at 10:12.

  5. #5
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Beretta DT11 30Ē Multichoke sporster. Left handed.
    Lovely shotgun. Bit on the expensive side. But if you like Beretta you will not regret buying it.

    However, for a lot less money, £2000 will get you an almost new Beretta 692.

    fallout new vegas best armor in game
    Or the new 694 is reported to be an absolute peach!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,725
    I donít own a gun, but when invited I love to join a mate that goes clay pigeon shooting. I use one of his guns, and have found that I hit twice as many clays with a 20 bore than a 12 bore👍👍

  7. #7
    Yup I have a Kemen KM4 12 bore and a Cynergy 20 bore.

    Currently have the Kemen up for sale as I find I'm shooting the 20 bore much more.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    Speaking as a GP trainee so very biased! I think the fee is totally fair. You are right GPs do not have to charge, but they should.

    You arenít just paying for the GPs time to fill in a form, they have to search through your records (not as easy as it sounds with NHS IT) and more importantly you are paying for the GP taking the responsibility to say you are medically fit to own a gun. For me it is the liability that costs the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Speaking as a GP trainee so very biased! I think the fee is totally fair. You are right GPs do not have to charge, but they should.

    You arenít just paying for the GPs time to fill in a form, they have to search through your records (not as easy as it sounds with NHS IT) and more importantly you are paying for the GP taking the responsibility to say you are medically fit to own a gun. For me it is the liability that costs the money.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whilst I appreciate in principle where youíre coming from, unfortunately it is not as straight forward. This has been a highly contested argument since itís introduction and the GP fee as a whole is genuinely unwarranted and unnecessary, hence why in the FEO template GP letter it states that the fee is at the discretion of the GP, otherwise it would be mandatory.

    It takes the GP no more time then a typical appointment, of which we all have a right to request and attend. This in fact is how I request my GP confirmation. A face to face appointment, so he can 1 asses me there in person and 2 see me in person to familiarise himself with who I am. Hand him the letter, checks his computer for anything the letter refers too, signs it job done. Doesnít need a £60 fee, my GP agrees .

    Also this is only a request for information relating to certain issues, mostly relating to mental health or heart issues etc. it is does not seek a professional opinion as to the suitability to hold a Firearms/Shotgun certificate, as this decision lies solely with the police
    Last edited by Anygreg; 17th January 2020 at 13:11.

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,870
    I have several Brownings I shoot mostly for skeet. I have two Sporting 725 Citori's 12 and 20 guage 30" and a Field 625 Citori 12 gauge 28" that I do well with for Skeet and I also have a Citori 725 Trap 32" as well. My one other is a Rizzini Fierce 1 I bought mostly because it's a beautiful Italian gun.

    The Rizzini is very much on par with a Beretta or Cesar Guerini just better finishing overall and remember these three names are all related but I shoot the Brownings better.

    In NYC last year I went to the Beretta Gallery on 5th Ave if you ever go stop in place is unreal. I shouldered a DT11 Pro it's over my budget but what an extremely well balanced gun if you decide you want to spend the money it would be a contender for me. I really liked the 692 it's more reasonable in cost for me and although a step down from the DT11 it is a really nice gun overall and in comparison to a Silver Pigeon a staircase above. I like having more than one gun to choose from based on caliber, styling and barrel length so buying a DT11 would reduce my choices based on cost.

    When there they have in the glass case Ernest Hemingway's hand made shotgun he said it cost $700.00 new and they bought it back in auction for $80,000.00 and someone offered them I believe 1 million for it so a must see. He said a similar gun today would be machine made at a cost of $7000.00. They have shotguns there that are still handmade today and he let me shoulder one it's price tag was $110,000.00 my wife said yes but told me I would have to move out if I bought it .

  11. #11
    Master raptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sunstroke capital,Cyprus
    Posts
    2,973
    Beretta 682
    Beretta 682 gold e
    12g

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Whilst I appreciate in principle where youíre coming from, unfortunately it is not as straight forward. This has been a highly contested argument since itís introduction and the GP fee as a whole is genuinely unwarranted and unnecessary, hence why in the FEO template GP letter it states that the fee is at the discretion of the GP, otherwise it would be mandatory.

    It takes the GP no more time then a typical appointment, of which we all have a right to request and attend. This in fact is how I request my GP confirmation. A face to face appointment, so he can 1 asses me there in person and 2 see me in person to familiarise himself with who I am. Hand him the letter, checks his computer for anything the letter refers too, signs it job done. Doesnít need a £60 fee, my GP agrees .

    Also this is only a request for information relating to certain issues, mostly relating to mental health or heart issues etc. it is does not seek a professional opinion as to the suitability to hold a Firearms/Shotgun certificate, as this decision lies solely with the police
    Donít see why NHS should pay the GP to do this.

  13. #13
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Donít see why NHS should pay the GP to do this.
    Who pays for the NHS?
    Last edited by Anygreg; 17th January 2020 at 14:52.

  14. #14
    Master ed335d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I donít own a gun, but when invited I love to join a mate that goes clay pigeon shooting. I use one of his guns, and have found that I hit twice as many clays with a 20 bore than a 12 bore
    Do you need a licence to accompany a friend and use their gun?

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,613
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Do you need a licence to accompany a friend and use their gun?
    No.

  16. #16
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Do you need a licence to accompany a friend and use their gun?
    Nope. As long as they are a license holder

  17. #17
    Master petethegeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Worcestershire
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Do you need a licence to accompany a friend and use their gun?
    No.
    For the slightly expanded version see here.

  18. #18
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Donít see why NHS should pay the GP to do this.
    Why not? License holders pay taxes and National Insurance as well.
    It's just democracy.

  19. #19
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not? License holders pay taxes and National Insurance as well.
    Donít take the bait mate

  20. #20
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Donít take the bait mate
    You're right of course,
    It's just democracy.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    It does ask for a professional opinion about the mental health or heart issues etc though doesn't it. If I miss something buried in a patients records that then is relevant when the patient has an accident or goes haywire with the gun, I would (at least partially) have some liability, and rightly so, I am a professional and I gave my recommendation.

    I would argue that something like this should not take up an appointment, GP appointments should be for matters concerning health, not leisure. That GP appointment could have been used for someone that needed it for a health reason. Therefore, the work should be done in the GPs own time, therefore I think it is totally reasonable for someone to pay for that time (and liability).

    Or alternatively, write it into the GP contract so that a GP has to do the form as part of their job, then it is up to the GP to deem this acceptable "extra work" or not when they sign their employment contract. Personally, I think definitely not.

    The thing to do with "I pay for the NHS with my taxes" really is a complete non-argument in my opinion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Whilst I appreciate in principle where you’re coming from, unfortunately it is not as straight forward. This has been a highly contested argument since it’s introduction and the GP fee as a whole is genuinely unwarranted and unnecessary, hence why in the FEO template GP letter it states that the fee is at the discretion of the GP, otherwise it would be mandatory.

    It takes the GP no more time then a typical appointment, of which we all have a right to request and attend. This in fact is how I request my GP confirmation. A face to face appointment, so he can 1 asses me there in person and 2 see me in person to familiarise himself with who I am. Hand him the letter, checks his computer for anything the letter refers too, signs it job done. Doesn’t need a £60 fee, my GP agrees .

    Also this is only a request for information relating to certain issues, mostly relating to mental health or heart issues etc. it is does not seek a professional opinion as to the suitability to hold a Firearms/Shotgun certificate, as this decision lies solely with the police
    Last edited by watchstudent; 17th January 2020 at 15:48.

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    645
    Beretta 682 Gold E, Beretta AL391 (and Lanber truck gun) all 12b
    When I renewed a couple of years ago, the firearms licensing officer said they would just write to my GP, no fee, no fuss and didn't hear anything more. In truth, had it cost me another £60, I would have paid up, it's only a quid a week after all.
    Either procedure has changed, or more likely there is the usual lack of consistency across forces.

  23. #23

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why not? License holders pay taxes and National Insurance as well.
    Thought it was obvious - itíís a healthcare service.

  24. #24
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    It does ask for a professional opinion about the mental health or heart issues etc though doesn't it. If I miss something buried in a patients records that then is relevant when the patient has an accident or goes haywire with the gun, I would (at least partially) have some liability, and rightly so, I am a professional and I gave my recommendation.

    I would argue that something like this should not take up an appointment, GP appointments should be for matters concerning health, not leisure. That GP appointment could have been used for someone that needed it for a health reason. Therefore, the work should be done in the GPs own time, therefore I think it is totally reasonable for someone to pay for that time (and liability).

    Or alternatively, write it into the GP contract so that a GP has to do the form as part of their job, then it is up to the GP to deem this acceptable "extra work" or not when they sign their employment contract. Personally, I think definitely not.

    The thing to do with "I pay for the NHS with my taxes" really is a complete non-argument in my opinion.
    Ok, Iíll bite on this one.
    I think you misread my initial point (slightly worryingly as youíre training to be a GP).
    The home office along with the local FEO state that it ďdoes not seek a professional opinion as to the suitability to hold a Firearms/Shotgun certificateĒ the decision to award a certificate regardless on what a GP reports is down to the local FEO, NOT the GP.

    The GP merely reports on if any of the following have ever been diagnosed, (again not asking for any opinions professional or otherwise)


    ĎThe letter will need to include whether or not I have ever been diagnosed with or been treated for the following conditions/illnesses:
    ē Acute Stress
    ē Reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a trauma
    ē Suicidal thoughts or self-harm
    ē Depression or anxiety
    ē Dementia
    ē Mania, bipolar disorder or a psychotic illness, or a personality disorder
    ē A neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsonís, Huntingtonís diseases or epilepsy
    ē Alcohol or drug abuse.
    ē Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevantí

    Iím assuming that youíre not a license holder as if so you would understand the politics surrounding the licensing in general and also the requirement for a GP letter, this has been through many forums, local authorities FEOís and created a lot of issues due to those involved in the process not understanding the requirements and what they must provide. Hence the clear guidelines set out on what it is that is required from those involved. Your response falls foul of such issues and was one of the reasons for such kick back in the sport, and rightly so. Everyone has the right to own a shotgun license, Not the same with as a firearms.

    Any and all Liability, This is down to the applicant applying for the license. You have a legal requirement to mention any of the above listed medical issues as part of the application also, not just the GP. If thereís a discrepancy they simply decline your license, stating untrustworthy. Again the home office guide is clear on all of this. The hoops we all have to jump through in order to obtain a license isnít easy and can be quite stressful.

    Nobody expects the GP to know the legalities of the application and grant of any license hence why the decision is down to the local FEO local authorities. You do realise local constabulary FEO come to your home and interview you right? This isnít just a quick pop in to say hello? All previous convictions, cautions even speeding tickets must be declared. All down to the applicant. Again if you were a license holder you would know this, and why, as mentioned above, the decision thankfully isnít down to the GP.

    Itís not a leisure requirement, itís a medical request for information, at most charge. £10 for the admin work?

    Regarding NHS funding, and who provides it.. youíve answered your own question there. If there was another alternative other weíd all gladly take it, but the home office requires we run this through the GP and as you mentioned I pay my tax and NI so damn straight Im Going to use it.

    Letís not get off subject as this is a huge bone of contention for many reasons with lots of strong opinions.

    But glad that so far we can still enjoy this fantastic sport, you must try it sometime

  25. #25
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    Firstly, I really wasn't trying to be personal, and I don't think I was, please try not to make it personal yourself, as in the first line of your last post. I perfectly understood your point, thank you.

    I totally appreciate it is not up to the GP to grant the license. However, they are asking the GP to confirm whether or not the applicant has had any of those conditions. They are asking for a professional opinion on that. So, a good example there is "acute stress", in actual fact a diagnosis of that could be very easily missed on a patients records, as could a number of other things on that list. If I miss a diagnosis on a record, then a coroner finds that diagnosis to be relevant in a fatal incident, then I will rightly be partially liable for that. Also this line "Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant" is definitely asking for a professional opinion.

    Its a request for medical information... for the purpose of leisure (unless you need the gun for your job).

    At the end of the day, it isn't your fault you have to ask a GP, but it also isn't the GPs fault that they have to be asked either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Ok, I’ll bite on this one.
    I think you misread my initial point (slightly worryingly as you’re training to be a GP).
    The home office along with the local FEO state that it “does not seek a professional opinion as to the suitability to hold a Firearms/Shotgun certificate” the decision to award a certificate regardless on what a GP reports is down to the local FEO, NOT the GP.

    The GP merely reports on if any of the following have ever been diagnosed, (again not asking for any opinions professional or otherwise)


    ‘The letter will need to include whether or not I have ever been diagnosed with or been treated for the following conditions/illnesses:
    • Acute Stress
    • Reaction or an acute reaction to the stress caused by a trauma
    • Suicidal thoughts or self-harm
    • Depression or anxiety
    • Dementia
    • Mania, bipolar disorder or a psychotic illness, or a personality disorder
    • A neurological condition: for example, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s diseases or epilepsy
    • Alcohol or drug abuse.
    • Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant’

    I’m assuming that you’re not a license holder as if so you would understand the politics surrounding the licensing in general and also the requirement for a GP letter, this has been through many forums, local authorities FEO’s and created a lot of issues due to those involved in the process not understanding the requirements and what they must provide. Hence the clear guidelines set out on what it is that is required from those involved. Your response falls foul of such issues and was one of the reasons for such kick back in the sport, and rightly so. Everyone has the right to own a shotgun license, Not the same with as a firearms.

    Any and all Liability, This is down to the applicant applying for the license. You have a legal requirement to mention any of the above listed medical issues as part of the application also, not just the GP. If there’s a discrepancy they simply decline your license, stating untrustworthy. Again the home office guide is clear on all of this. The hoops we all have to jump through in order to obtain a license isn’t easy and can be quite stressful.

    Nobody expects the GP to know the legalities of the application and grant of any license hence why the decision is down to the local FEO local authorities. You do realise local constabulary FEO come to your home and interview you right? This isn’t just a quick pop in to say hello? All previous convictions, cautions even speeding tickets must be declared. All down to the applicant. Again if you were a license holder you would know this, and why, as mentioned above, the decision thankfully isn’t down to the GP.

    It’s not a leisure requirement, it’s a medical request for information, at most charge. £10 for the admin work?

    Regarding NHS funding, and who provides it.. you’ve answered your own question there. If there was another alternative other we’d all gladly take it, but the home office requires we run this through the GP and as you mentioned I pay my tax and NI so damn straight Im Going to use it.

    Let’s not get off subject as this is a huge bone of contention for many reasons with lots of strong opinions.

    But glad that so far we can still enjoy this fantastic sport, you must try it sometime
    Last edited by watchstudent; 17th January 2020 at 16:47.

  26. #26
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    Firstly, I really wasn't trying to be personal, and I don't think I was, please try not to make it personal yourself, as in the first line of your last post. I perfectly understood your point, thank you.

    I totally appreciate it is not up to the GP to grant the license. However, they are asking the GP to confirm whether or not the applicant has had any of those conditions. They are asking for a professional opinion on that. So, a good example there is "acute stress", in actual fact a diagnosis of that could be very easily missed on a patients records, as could a number of other things on that list. If I miss a diagnosis on a record, then a coroner finds that diagnosis to be relevant in a fatal incident, then I will rightly be partially liable for that.

    At the end of the day, it isn't your fault you have to ask a GP, but it also isn't the GPs fault that they have to be asked either.
    Just to confirm, Iím not taking it personal one bit, but you have to understand being awarded any license to hold a firearm/shotgun is a huge responsibility and also an honour that you are considered to be eligible, this is close to a lot of peopleís hearts and hugely misunderstood by GPís and the public alike. I totally get it as well.

    There have been many reported instances of GPís misunderstanding what it is they are supposed to do, the guidelines are set out to avoid this confusion as there was a time where most GPís believed it was they that were awarding the right to hold, this isnít the case. Your first reply steered very close to this misunderstood way of thinking, hence my reply. Quote ĎĒI am a professional and I gave my recommendationíĒ Again I get why it could be interpreted that way also.

    A diagnosis is simply that. A reported condition, Previously diagnosed by any medical expert and recorded on the patients records. Not an opinion. Eg. Was his leg broken. Yes it was. Past tense statement.

    I have also know authorities to revoke licenses when the partner of the license holder has had depression or mental health issues.

    They also accept there are limitations to what is possible, as you mentioned paper based records, old legacy systems . Reasonable efforts must be made, thatís all. hence why the carry out a person interview, thus the ultimate liability and final say is down the the local authority as they fully understand this cannot be handled by anyone else but them. Obviously if the applicant had previously had a serious mental health issues which werenít reported, then they would ask questions why it wasnít mentioned on the report, by the GP and also applicant, but would most definitely be picked up on on their visit/interview and the applicant not only denied the license but banned from reapplying indefinitely.

    Itís far from easy to get one, it is also your responsibility to report any conditions or infractions whilst your current license is live, anything not reported whilst your under license will see you banned and license revoked.

    Get yourself down to the local clay ground for a few rounds, Iím sure youíll enjoy it doc
    Last edited by Anygreg; 17th January 2020 at 16:53.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    I have been clay pigeon shooting and absolutely loved it! I really don't know why I haven't been again to be honest. It wasn't that I thought you were taking it personally, rather you insinuated my competence may not be up to scratch to be a GP as you thought I'd misunderstood your post, I hadn't.

    I totally realise it is not a GPs job to grant a license (that would be insane!). But at the same time, it is not correct to say the GP isn't taking any responsibility at all. This line - "Any other mental or physical condition which you think may be relevant" is clearly asking for an opinion. That is why they are asking a doctor; otherwise I could just print off all the information I have and send it to them, with your permission, and they could look for those diagnoses. The fact of the matter is, NHS ICT is shit. If I was being asked to check if a person had any of those conditions it would take me a long long time to be absolutely sure from my end. It should be very simple, it isn't always. If I miss something stupid and it becomes relevant, I am in hot water and rightly so. In this instance I believe that time and risk should be paid for by the applicant. Also £60 seems an absolute bargain - I don't know if GPs can refuse the work or decide their fee but I would want a lot more than £60.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Just to confirm, Iím not taking it personal one bit, but you have to understand being awarded any license to hold a firearm/shotgun is a huge responsibility and also an honour that you are considered to be eligible, this is close to a lot of peopleís hearts and hugely misunderstood by GPís and the public alike. I totally get it as well.

    There have been many reported instances of GPís misunderstanding what it is they are supposed to do, the guidelines are set out to avoid this confusion as there was a time where most GPís believed it was they that were awarding the right to hold, this isnít the case. Your first reply steered very close to this misunderstood way of thinking, hence my reply. Quote ĎI am a professional and I gave my recommendationí Again I get why it could be interpreted that way also.

    A diagnosis is simply that. A reported condition, Previously diagnosed by any medical expert and recorded on the patients records. Not an opinion. Eg. Was his leg broken. Yes it was. Past tense statement.

    I have also know authorities to revoke licenses when the partner of the license holder has had depression or mental health issues.

    They also accept there are limitations to what is possible, as you mentioned paper based records, old legacy systems . Reasonable efforts must be made, thatís all. hence why the carry out a person interview, thus the ultimate liability and final say is down the the local authority as they fully understand this cannot be handled by anyone else but them. Obviously if the applicant had previously had a serious mental health issues which werenít reported, then they would ask questions why it wasnít mentioned on the report, by the GP and also applicant, but would most definitely be picked up on on their visit/interview and the applicant not only denied the license but banned from reapplying indefinitely.

    Itís far from easy to get one, it is also your responsibility to report any conditions or infractions whilst your current license is live, anything not reported whilst your under license will see you banned and license revoked.

    Get yourself down to the local clay ground for a few rounds, Iím sure youíll enjoy it doc

  28. #28
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775

    Any clay pigeon shooters on the forum?

    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I Also £60 seems an absolute bargain - I don't know if GPs can refuse the work or decide their fee but I would want a lot more than £60.
    And this is where the main problem lies, as everyone knows GPís are underpaid right?

    https://inews.co.uk/news/health/nhs-...-doctor-515725

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...es-pay-boosts/
    Last edited by Anygreg; 17th January 2020 at 17:12.

  29. #29
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    And this is where the main problem lies, as everyone knows GPís are underpaid right?
    I am not sure that is where the main problem lies at all...

    I have been a doctor for 5 years and spent 6 years at university. My salary is around £37,000 per year. Very healthy, I am under no illusions. But don't believe what the media says about GP pay though. The issue is with all the extra work I have to do and I don't get paid for. If you worked out my hourly rate I do I think I am underpaid, yes. But the issue basically is, I am time poor, not money poor. If you want me to give up even more of my time, I want to be very well paid for it. A lot of doctors and sometimes our regulatory bodies feel we should be embarrassed about being paid well, I don't agree. I don't owe the applicant of a firearms license anything in this instance. It is strictly professional and not part of my capacity as a "carer".

    Doctors get paid well because of risk basically. The decisions you make and the more risk you take on, the better the pay because that is what people don't want to do.

  30. #30
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by watchstudent View Post
    I am not sure that is where the main problem lies at all...

    I have been a doctor for 5 years and spent 6 years at university. My salary is around £37,000 per year. Very healthy, I am under no illusions. But don't believe what the media says about GP pay though. The issue is with all the extra work I have to do and I don't get paid for. If you worked out my hourly rate I do I think I am underpaid, yes. But the issue basically is, I am time poor, not money poor. If you want me to give up even more of my time, I want to be very well paid for it. A lot of doctors and sometimes our regulatory bodies feel we should be embarrassed about being paid well, I don't agree. I don't owe the applicant of a firearms license anything in this instance. It is strictly professional and not part of my capacity as a "carer".

    Doctors get paid well because of risk basically. The decisions you make and the more risk you take on, the better the pay because that is what people don't want to do.
    And that concludes todayís off topic shenanigans.

    As you were

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    And that concludes todayís off topic shenanigans.

    As you were
    Fair enough chief.

  32. #32
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    12,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Donít take the bait mate
    Don't fall into that trap.

  33. #33
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Don't fall into that trap.
    true story

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    703
    Up here in west yorks, for a renewal,may differ from your circumstance the following applies,

    The purpose of the letter is to ask the doctor if he knows of any impediment

    If no reply is received then no impediment is assumed.

    My wife and ignored the request for payment and the renewal was processed and licence received.

    Ask for a copy of the letter from your surgery, the wording will make this clear.



    And crack on,. Essex Masters is in 85 days

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    liverpool, uk
    Posts
    2,744
    Something Iíve always fancied having a go at, Iíve always resisted because Iím afraid of the slippery slope of shiny stuff to buy lol

  36. #36
    Here in North Lincolnshire i've never had to bother with Doctors medicals and the like,just fill in the paperwork ,send the payment and that's it until the officer brings the certificate round and has a quick chat and look at my security (cabinet ,keys etc ) all very easy and straight forward.
    I shoot pretty much every other weekend ,my gun of choice Beretta 682 gold e,getting on a bit now but still the best fitting gun i have ever owned .
    Just a quick heads up for any other shooters ,Pinewood shooting ground absolute gem of a set up ,very friendly great variety of stands to suit both newcomers and more experienced shots,doesnt cost an arm and a leg either .
    http://www.pinewoodsg.co.uk/
    Last edited by Jega; 17th January 2020 at 19:18.

  37. #37
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sussex uk
    Posts
    14,613
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Something Iíve always fancied having a go at, Iíve always resisted because Iím afraid of the slippery slope of shiny stuff to buy lol
    You don't need too much gear, the basic shotgun will do, I used my silver pigeon to take 10 pheasants with 11 shots on Friday then in a clay comp on saterday coming second in my class.

  38. #38
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    Here in North Lincolnshire i've never had to bother with Doctors medicals and the like,just fill in the paperwork ,send the payment and that's it until the officer brings the certificate round and has a quick chat and look at my security (cabinet ,keys etc ) all very easy and straight forward.
    I shoot pretty much every other weekend ,my gun of choice Beretta 682 gold e,getting on a bit now but still the best fitting gun i have ever owned .
    Just a quick heads up for any other shooters ,Pinewood shooting ground absolute gem of a set up ,very friendly great variety of stands to suit both newcomers and more experienced shots,doesnt cost an arm and a leg either .
    http://www.pinewoodsg.co.uk/
    Was at Pinewood two weeks ago, agreed it has plenty to offer target wise but every time i go it get scruffier, old gas cylinders,clay boxes just blowing about wads every where, im sure the guy in the office will be in A+E soon to have the chair removed from his backside.

  39. #39
    Craftsman earlofsodbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    The Flat Stuff, Lincs.
    Posts
    367
    I was attracted to this thread as I used to enjoy a bit of shooting years ago and was thinking of getting a gun again - couple of sensible posts on the topic then a minor meltdown by people willing to spend £thousands on a shotgun but not on a £60 admin fee to obtain the informed opinion of a highly trained professional who will usually be buried under an excessive caseload...

    I suppose it's no different to people who'll buy a £12K Rolex and then look for the cheapest NATO they can find on Aliexpress and get all righteously-indignant when someone closer to home is selling for an actual profit...

    Materialism is a helluva drug!

  40. #40
    BASC has been focussing on the issue of GPís overcharging against the Governmentís advisory notice. However, they have been relatively ineffective and have now launched their own GP licencing service. Go on the website and see if thereís one close to you.

  41. #41
    Craftsman Anygreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    BASC has been focussing on the issue of GPís overcharging against the Governmentís advisory notice. However, they have been relatively ineffective and have now launched their own GP licencing service. Go on the website and see if thereís one close to you.
    Remember you only have to pay if you have any of the reported issues. If you donít there is nothing to submit. Failure to receive any reply from the GP to the FEO will be taken as no reported issue after 21 days and the license application will continue without delay.

  42. #42
    Wow sorry all, didnít mean to start a war over this, the GP letter in Essex was only compulsory as of mid November last year, donít get me wrong I just chalk the £60 quid as part of the cost. What I do object to is when I have to pay for a service but have no ability to shop around or select what level of service I have.

    You want this GP letter signed and stamped? £60 and weíll get it done when we can.

    The surgery have me over a barrel, if they wanted £500 Iíd still have to go with them.

    Anyway, itíll turn up when it does and the licence will be issued when it is, till then Iíll keep looking at guntrader and each time Iíll be justifying a slightly newer more expensive gun, because we all know if I spend more Iíll hit more clays. Basically a cheaper gun is a false economy and less environmentally friendly as theyíll be more untouched clays sitting in the field. ;)

    Anyone going to the Gun show next month?

  43. #43
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,089
    I have shot since I was 11.
    28 years later I am still at it, in fact I am off for a blat tomorrow - gallery rifle. Clay / rough shooting is my favourite form of shooting though. I use a Beretta A303 or Rizzini over under with multi choke, both of which I have had years.
    I too have had the GP fee on levied on me. Whilst it sticks in the throat a bit, it is all relative, £60 is less than 100 rounds of decent .308 or 7 boxes of no7s.

  44. #44
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    23,133
    I have had my licence for over 20 years and have never seen a GP.

    Gun is an old, but faithful 31" Browning o/u used for Clays, Game and rough shooting. Excellent, but not pretty.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  45. #45
    I've been shooting, on and off, for 40 years and I'm hoping I will still be able to smoke a few clays, tomorrow. I'll be using a Beretta 682 Gold e and my son will be using a Beretta Silver Pigeon.

    p.s. my certificate renewal has been with the Met for a few weeks - I haven't heard whether they will require a letter from my doctor.
    Last edited by Stanford; 17th January 2020 at 22:15.

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    844
    Sorry to pipe up once again, I realise it isnít really wanted but I do just feel a need to present the other side...

    Just as you have no choice to go to the GP, the GP has no choice but to do the work. Believe me, they donít want your £60, they would much rather you go somewhere else. General Practice is at absolute breaking point the last thing they want is extra admin.

    The reason they get it done when they can is because it is rightly at the bottom of their priority list. It isnít their fault some organisation wants them to take a little responsibility for gun licenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    Wow sorry all, didnít mean to start a war over this, the GP letter in Essex was only compulsory as of mid November last year, donít get me wrong I just chalk the £60 quid as part of the cost. What I do object to is when I have to pay for a service but have no ability to shop around or select what level of service I have.

    You want this GP letter signed and stamped? £60 and weíll get it done when we can.

    The surgery have me over a barrel, if they wanted £500 Iíd still have to go with them.

    ?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,791
    I shot clays for the first time last year. Used a semi auto Benelli race gun with pretty good results.

  48. #48
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Thought it was obvious - itíís a healthcare service.
    So why should they have to be involved in firearms licensing, which has nothing to do with healthcare?
    It's just democracy.

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    West Yorks
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So why should they have to be involved in firearms licensing, which has nothing to do with healthcare?
    Because nobody at interview says to the FEO im feeling a bit depressed and drink 2 bottles of wine a night while taking my strong medication.

  50. #50
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    13,984
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Because nobody at interview says to the FEO im feeling a bit depressed and drink 2 bottles of wine a night while taking my strong medication.
    Would they tell their doctor that then?
    It's just democracy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information