closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wireless charging - iphone pro max

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Wireless charging - iphone pro max

I’m getting my hands on a new phone tomorrow with wireless charging and was wondering if its ok to use this feature as a permanent charging solution.

Ive read conflicting views on this with some saying its ok and some saying you should use a wired connection primarily and a wireless charger as a temporary top up solution.

Some reports seem to suggest that solely using wireless chargers will shorten the battery life over time.

Any views on this, real world or otherwise.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    I have an iPhone X that is coming up to two years old. I primarily use a wireless charger and generally put the phone on it every other night to charge it right up. Occasionally I'll use a wired charger if I need a quicker charge or are away from home. Battery health is currently at 91%, which from what I can find online is reasonably good for it's age.

I've also read conflicting reports about which charging method is better, but in my experience wireless charging doesn't seem to have an obvious negative impact.

I use a wireless charger, on an X for 2 years and more recently on my Pro, works perfectly.

Don't be fooled in to paying £40 plus for one, get one for a tenner on Amazon it does the same thing!

Master
    Make sure you get one of a decent wattage because I got one for a tenner and it was either 5 or 6 watts I don’t recall, took forever to charge and the charger got really warm!

But the bullet bought a 10w belkin version and I find it’s a lot faster and doesn’t get warm.

Used with Xs max and now a 11 pro max without issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with wireless charging is it isn't quick, I have a ten quid one next to my bed and use it to charge overnight and it works perfectly.

The new iOS has a clever thing where as it knows to do a "slow charge" over night for better battery life, didn't know this until recently when I noticed a notification on my screen in the middle of the night!

I have the cheap ones dotted around everywhere, perfect to pop your phone down for a quick charge, shame I can't install one next to the bog!! lol

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Ive bought a in car wireless magnetic charger thats 10w and claims to give a full charge in 3 hours. So every time I’m in the car it will be charging which should be enough to keep me up to speed for most of the time.

With my usage, which is quite low I reckon it will keep it up to or near 100%, Time will tell.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Ive bought a in car wireless magnetic charger thats 10w and claims to give a full charge in 3 hours. So every time I’m in the car it will be charging which should be enough to keep me up to speed for most of the time.

With my usage, which is quite low I reckon it will keep it up to or near 100%, Time will tell.
    Isn't charging to 100% regularly the worst thing for the battery? Regularly to 80% is meant to be the ideal compromise for longevity iirc.

Another thing is the pro max is a battery beast.

You’d struggle to kill it in a day from 100% I reckon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Another thing is the pro max is a battery beast.

You’d struggle to kill it in a day from 100% I reckon
    I get 2 days from mine, it’s better than my work phone which is a p30 pro, it’s getting retired soon though the huawei.. I’ve switched to an e sim for my personal number and the work sim will be going in it

Charging your phone overnight kills your battery. I never do it but my missus plugs hers in every night. After time, her battery health always degrades much faster than mine.

Craftsman
    I have had my XS Max since launch day in sept 18. I use the wireless charger everyday. My battery health is 91%

My mate also got his XS Max on launch day and uses the plug. His battery health is 90% as we were comparing this only the other day.
    I’d say we have similar usage, average screen time 3-4hour per day.

So therefore based on my two person sample I’d say there’s no difference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Charging your phone overnight kills your battery. I never do it but my missus plugs hers in every night. After time, her battery health always degrades much faster than mine.
    That’s not my experience. I’ve just upgraded my iPhone from a 6 to an 11. I had a new battery put in my 6 a few years ago when Apple run the cheap replacement battery promotion and my battery health still shows at 99% and I used to charge it overnight almost every night.

Looks like wireless charging may become the only option for Apple devices if the European Commission get their way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51137069

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Get her a cable with an auto cutout, my mrs does this so I got a charger that cuts out at max charge and won’t start again until the cable is removed and refitted, I think ours is called Titan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Looks like wireless charging may become the only option for Apple devices if the European Commission get their way - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51137069
    It’s on apples product roadmap for the next generation to have usb c on the next generation handsets and have no ports whatsoever after that

Main thing re battery health seems to be not charging overnight as mentioned above. Ideally you're not meant to go over 80%.

Personally I just charge it overnight and half the day at work. By the time the battery is pants it's time for a new phone anyway but usually a warranty swap comes first with a new battery by default. I've had my current model of phone 18 months and I'm on my third unit so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Main thing re battery health seems to be not charging overnight as mentioned above. Ideally you're not meant to go over 80%.

Personally I just charge it overnight and half the day at work. By the time the battery is pants it's time for a new phone anyway but usually a warranty swap comes first with a new battery by default. I've had my current model of phone 18 months and I'm on my third unit so far.
    I agree with that by the time my 7 plus gave up the ghost I’d had it 3 years and apple were generous with the trade in so no complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Get her a cable with an auto cutout, my mrs does this so I got a charger that cuts out at max charge and won’t start again until the cable is removed and refitted, I think ours is called Titan

Thanks...hadn’t heard about those!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    I have had my XS Max since launch day in sept 18. I use the wireless charger everyday. My battery health is 91%

My mate also got his XS Max on launch day and uses the plug. His battery health is 90% as we were comparing this only the other day.
    I’d say we have similar usage, average screen time 3-4hour per day.

So therefore based on my two person sample I’d say there’s no difference.
    I’ve had mine since launch and my battery life is still 100%?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I’ve had mine since launch and my battery life is still 100%?
    There is natural degradation of the battery over time and charging cycles.

Are you talking about IPhone 11 or XS Max

Phone batteries are only
    good for about 1000 charging cycles

My XS Max is 11 months old, charged wirelessly and battery health 97%.

So much more convenient than using a lead.

Although these big phones are more powerful and obviously have large screens think these are outweighed by the larger batteries. My 6S had a replacement battery but within a year was down to ~86%.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 18th January 2020 at 12:30.

I'm an Android user, and have exclusively been using wireless charging on all my phones for a number of years. I have wireless chargers just about anywhere that I put the phone down (TV Room, Bedroom, Cars, Office, etc).

My battery rarely goes below about 95%, except when I'm out and about, and I have seen no issues with battery degradation.

It would seem bizarrely arcane for me to have to plug a piece of wire into my phone just to charge it, just like I wouldn't think of plugging an external aerial or wired headphones into it.

All charging is managed by the handset, not by the charger - it stops and starts charging (and changes voltage for the various quick charge mechanisms) at the optimal times. Very worst case, if my battery does ever die before I want to change my handset, is that I just buy a new battery. Life is too short to worry about phone charging regimes, especially when the handset is perfectly capable of doing that for itself.

I’m still on my iPhone 6plus. Must be 4 or 5 years old now and still works ok.
    I charge it overnight every other day or so and my battery health (on its original battery) is 93%

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m still on my iPhone 6plus. Must be 4 or 5 years old now and still works ok.
    I charge it overnight every other day or so and my battery health (on its original battery) is 93%
    My old iPhone 6 is still going at 5 years old and on 90% , you get a good one sometimes