closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stamp collectors

Stamp collectors

Hi all. Was up in the loft today and found a little box full of old stamps. Got to be at least 30yrs old
    Anyone on here into collecting. Curious to find out there value
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Very tricky items to value sensibly and impossible to hazard a guess without knowing what they are and what condition they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Very tricky items to value sensibly and impossible to hazard a guess without knowing what they are and what condition they are in.
    Here they are pal
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/30wwtokse/

Philately will get you nowhere

Journeyman
    Not great news. UK commemoratives in the main. Appear to be unused. Unless rare, generally bought by the trade at a % (eg 50%) of face value.

I used to collect when I was a kid back in the early 80s, I have about 2,000 odd . Old commonwealth, third reich , South American and some penny Reds .

Been told unless they are rare or misprint , they are worth the grand sum of bugger all !

I was offered £20.0 a few years back for the lot.

I have been told recently that the highest prices were achieved back in the 80s , when more people were collecting

A few memories in there. Is there anyone in the family who could use them to start a collection, thinking maybe a younger person?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A few memories in there. Is there anyone in the family who could use them to start a collection, thinking maybe a younger person?
    Yes. I’m going to give them to my 15y old son I think. Let him keep them for 40 years like me

My great great grandmother was a stamp collector. She collected for around 50 years, from before 1st World War until like 1960s. She lived in Poland (that’s where I’m from). We’ve inherited her collection of around 30 books (I don’t know the proper word for that book-like thing full of slots for stamps) from around the world. I remember looking at them very often as a kid and I loved it. Somehow she’s managed to get an insane collection with a lot of stamps being now over 100 years old. In the 80/90s the value decreased drastically and they are not worth as much as they were before. Obviously, there’s a sentimental value, so we won’t sell it. It’s like a little stamp museum. The African and Australian ones were the coolest in my opinion, very nature inspired. A lot of cool animals and plants etc. with quite a few of them probably extinct now!

We collect them at work, tear them off envelopes with a bit of margin around them and sell them by weight to a dealer. The money then goes to charity.
    We have tins and tins of old ones that public bring in for us, some are convinced there are more valuable ones in there but it's a hell of a job going through them.

Funnily enough when I have bought cigarette cards from ebay the envelopes often have a cornucopia of older British commemoratives all over the package/envelopes. Similar sort of collectors I guess.

Obviously worth more as postage nowadays than collectables!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052