closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 1655

Rolex 1655

I’m very interested in picking up a Rolex explorer 1655 this year. I’ve been researching the watch & there seems like an awful lot of variants, I believe there are 6 different editions, the Mk1, mk1.5, mk2, mk3, mk4 & mk5.
    Values seem to be all over the place from what i can see online, anywhere from £14k to 30k. There are no obvious differences like Matt/gilt dials so to the uninitiated it’s a bit of a minefield. I’ve come across frog feet & rail dials, straight & lollipop hands but no real guidance as to which model(s) are the more desirable.
    I’ve seen several on sc over the past few years & prices are definitely on the rise (as with all things vintage & Rolex). This would be a major investment for me so I would really appreciate an help from the forum to avoid mistakes. I know that condition, especially of the dial, is paramount in vintage Rolex but what else should I be looking for?
    Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 19th January 2020 at 23:01.

This will give you a pretty good introduction.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/oh-explorer-2/

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Rolex 1655

The early models with the straight seconds hand command a premium especially if they have the mark 1 bezel where the engravings are different as the numbers seem to be almost touching the glass.

Also the rail dials are very hard to come across

I’ve owned a couple and they’re great watches and worth waiting for a nice one to come along

Regards John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnnya71; 15th January 2020 at 17:28.

Master
    Mike Wood currently has a nice looking example up on his website

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    This will give you a pretty good introduction.

http://www.drsd.com/watch-info/oh-explorer-2/
    Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Mike Wood currently has a nice looking example up on his website
    Yes, I’ve seen that, I’ll be giving him a call soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnya71 View Post
    The early models with the straight seconds hand command a premium especially if they have the mark 1 bezel where the engravings are different as the numbers seem to be almost touching the glass.

Also the rail dials are very hard to come across

I’ve owned a couple and they’re great watches and worth waiting for a nice one to come along

Regards John

Thank you John, much appreciated. I’m in no rush plus I’d like to learn more before I commit.

Craftsman
    One of my grail pieces, but as you’ve found there is a huge variety of configurations and prices. A lot of the top money watches looked too good to be true with some certain undisclosed laser welding and reshaping of the case. However an all original example tends to have washed out dials and be a bit tired.

This watch was one that always leapt at me from the pages of National Geographic as a child, with that iconic hand set.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyloves2boogie View Post
    I’m in no rush plus I’d like to learn more before I commit.
    If you plan on wearing (and using) the watch, if you didn't know already, be aware that the original Explorer II is not a GMT watch. Although it obviously has the large orange hand, it can't be set independently to the hour hand and the bezel can't be moved (unlike it's contemporary, the GMT Master). Therefore, the orange hand purely serves as a day/night indicator (for speleologists!)

I personally love the look of the 1655 Exp II but the lack of an actual GMT hand has always put me off.

Just to whet your appetitive - my old one. £560 new (!) and sold to Neil at Chronomaster, from memory.

Another one I should have kept!

Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted. It's a beautiful watch.

IDguy did a good video on YouTube which is worth watching on the 1655 if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/H0ZcS-wKU4c

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just to whet your appetitive - my old one. £560 new (!) and sold to Neil at Chronomaster, from memory.

Yes, that was rather lovely.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman

This is lovely one of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird84 View Post
    Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted. It's a beautiful watch.

IDguy did a good video on YouTube which is worth watching on the 1655 if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/H0ZcS-wKU4c
    Well worth the time.

I saw your sales post Tony but it wasn’t on my radar at that point in time. In hindsight it would have been perfect, how our tastes change the more we learn about brands & history.

Master

It’s a marmite watch in my opinion, I like them and have been lucky to own a few of them including rail dials and a MK 1 straight hand ,but and be warned when on the wrist they are lovely but bloody hard to tell the time with .

I probably should’ve kept the full set RSC Serviced Rail Dial but hey ho , a nice loose example will cost a few quid but they are a very cool funky watch and I don’t wear mine as much as I should .

I have an early straight hand. I don’t wear it very often. But it always makes me smile when I do

Taken on board the marmite comment. I’ve had a steinhart homage but never actually seen a real one yet. I appeals on the grounds that it’s so left field for Rolex, I get the legibility issues as it is a busy dial, I understand that it’s not a gmt function either, but for me therein lies it’s charm.
    I will reserve judgement until I see one up close.
    I’m also considering a 1675 & a 5513. Good examples of these available for the same money.

Personally, I’d go for the 1675. A more useful complication and a far more iconic look. Or, looks (if you go for multiple bezel inserts).

I actually went for a matte dialled 16750. Looks identical to a 1675 but with a very useful quick set date function.

Rolex 1655

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Personally, I’d go for the 1675. A more useful complication and a far more iconic look. Or, looks (if you go for multiple bezel inserts).

I actually went for a matte dialled 16750. Looks identical to a 1675 but with a very useful quick set date function.
    Yes, I’m definitely looking at this as an option. Always wanted a vintage gmt, Mike Wood has great examples of all three currently in stock. As this would be a long term investment choice as well as a regular wearer I’m trying to understand which would prove to be the best in terms of an inheritance piece.
    I’m leaning towards the 1655 because it has a lot of character, but this could all change once I get up close & personal with the 1675 & the 5513. I feel a visit to the Old Watch Shop could be on the cards soon.

Last edited by Billyloves2boogie; 16th January 2020 at 22:41.

If you are seriously considering one of those 3, then I’d definitely have a word with Mr Woods and make sure that he doesn’t sell them. Then I’d get up to Stockport as soon as you can. They won’t hang around for long and you’ll kick yourself if you miss one.

Master
    If you are seriously considering one of those 3, then I’d definitely have a word with Mr Woods and make sure that he doesn’t sell them. Then I’d get up to Stockport as soon as you can. They won’t hang around for long and you’ll kick yourself if you miss one.
    Arrives in Stockport.

Scratches head.

No pier or old people.

50 miles to the West, a man who looks not unlike Stephen Fry sits alone in his shop counting mil subs, listening to seagulls and the occasional mobility scooter whirring past.

Oh, it’s the other Stockport, isn’t it?

Southport. 😊

Journeyman
    Best rolex ever. My Grail watch right now

Rolex 1655

Good advice.
    Might go to Southport though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Arrives in Stockport.

Scratches head.

No pier or old people.

50 miles to the West, a man who looks not unlike Stephen Fry sits alone in his shop counting mil subs, listening to seagulls and the occasional mobility scooter whirring past.
    We really ought to do a compilation of your best posts at some point :)

Love mine Rail dial not partying with any time soon.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Arrives in Stockport.

Scratches head.

No pier or old people.

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Love mine Rail dial not partying with any time soon.

That’s lovely, which edition/year came with this dial?

That’s lovely, which edition/year came with this dial?

Its 1975 ish and I think MK3, I heard they was made for a year rail dial

Last edited by bokbok; 18th January 2020 at 20:33.

Journeyman
    Grail watch for me. Definitely.

Wys?ane z mojego BBF100-6 przy u?yciu Tapatalka

Mine. Had it for decades.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the number 1655 in Stockport only refers to this months reported crimes.

FYI, the joke about my typo has already been cracked.

FYI, the joke about my typo has already been cracked.
    As a resident of Stockport I can confirm that more than one joke is available.

Apprentice
    Good advice.
    Might go to Southport though.

So what did you decide in the end? Did you see them all - and have you made a choice?

As always the advice received from the forum was as generous as it was informative. However whilst I deliberated two of the three watches I was considering had sold and I realised that good vintage pieces sell really quickly when they come to market. You need to know exactly what you are looking for & be ready to move quickly when they come to market. Also I realised that I would not feel comfortable having a vintage piece of this value as a daily wearer & not being in a position to keep it as a safe queen, I have had to rethink my position. The 1655 is still my grail watch & I think grail watches should always be slightly out of our reach by there very nature.
    So what did I buy? Well it’s still a Rolex, but far removed from the 1655.
    I bought a Deepsea JC, I was offered one by a good friend and thought I’d give it a go as the price was right & after wearing it everyday for the last month I’m beginning to fall for this ridiculously over engineered mammoth of a watch.
    Who ever said that this hobby of ours had to make any sense?

Apprentice
    As always the advice received from the forum was as generous as it was informative. However whilst I deliberated two of the three watches I was considering had sold and I realised that good vintage pieces sell really quickly when they come to market. You need to know exactly what you are looking for & be ready to move quickly when they come to market. Also I realised that I would not feel comfortable having a vintage piece of this value as a daily wearer & not being in a position to keep it as a safe queen, I have had to rethink my position. The 1655 is still my grail watch & I think grail watches should always be slightly out of our reach by there very nature.
    I bought a Deepsea JC, I was offered one by a good friend and thought I’d give it a go as the price was right & after wearing it everyday for the last month I’m beginning to fall for this ridiculously over engineered mammoth of a watch.

Sounds a great buy in the end - I am after something a bit more vintage, and am interested in the 1655 as well, but looking at some other choices so still trying to narrow it down on what to go for.
    Congratulations on your purchase.

Master

I think you should have stuck to your guns and waited for the right one to come along and then you should have pounced. Grail watches are to be jumped on and if you keep buying something else because it is easier to do so, it will always be out of reach.

I have 5 Rolex that I wear in strict rotation and the 1655 is by far the most satisfying to wear once you have got used to reading the "disco dial".

You are still going to want a 1655 and the slog is almost certainly about to begin again.

Craftsman
    I saw your sales post Tony but it wasn’t on my radar at that point in time. In hindsight it would have been perfect, how our tastes change the more we learn about brands & history.

+1 this watch just grows on me every day , I used to have no love for it now I would love to own one of these. Funny how times change !