closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help! Differences between Tag Heuer Monaco models?

Help! Differences between Tag Heuer Monaco models?

Evening all.

A friend of mine who knows very little about watches wants to buy a new blue dial Tag Heuer Monaco, and has asked me if I can help him get one at a good price.

I don’t know a great deal about Monaco’s, and I’ve discovered that TH currently list watches with 3 different automatic movements... Calibre 11, Calibre 12 and Calibre 02. I’ve worked out that the 02 is a manufacture movement and has twice the power reserve, and also (unless I’m mistaken) that the 11 appears to be a more faithful reproduction of the original Steve McQueen watch.

I would really welcome those who know to give me some ideas of the differences between the 3, which model he should go for and why. He’s buying it as a retirement present to himself, will keep it forever and intends to pass it on to one of his grandsons when he goes...

Grateful for any WISdom (see what I did there?!)

Simon

I would only state that the Heuer only dials are generally more favoured on the used market, and look nicer to me, especially the blue McQueen version.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

CAW211P
    (The Blue dialled Heuer logo One with the Crown on the left).
    Great Watch.

IMG_6181.JPG
    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Ok, three versions of the TAG branded 'McQueen' (blue) Monaco, all with the crown at 3:
    The first CW2113-0 (Cal.17) was the closest to the original, in that it was 38mm, plexiglass, solid caseback and a cleaner dial.
    Second, Cal 12, larger case, sapphire crystal, display back and Caliber 12 text on the dial.
    Third, Cal 02, has two white subdials and running secs hand at 6.

Two versions of the Cal11 (crown at 9), first a limited edition (40th anniversary CAW211A) with a raised chrome surround to the date window and now the regular CAW211P with a white painted window surround. *The LE version has a brighter dial, similar to the TAG versions and the historic Heuer model.

My choice: either the CW2113-0 or the CAW211P. The former is now a few years out of production so finding a minter will be a search. The latter is current.

No doubt someone with more knowledge will jump in with some that I've missed.
    Last edited by TomGW; 15th January 2020 at 01:42.

I really don't recall the details but I did read a convincing comparison of Monaco models and movements that suggested big differences in quality and likely longevity between refences... was on PH so may be worth a search; was by a member there who services a lot of Tag Heuers

Master
    I remember seeing that too, wasn’t the 38mm one the one that had the better movement? Waiting for someone to correct me as I’m likely wrong but even I’m keen to know the difference

Self confessed tag fan boy and my next big birthday looks like it’ll be a Monaco on the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand, from the blue faced Monaco (McQueen) watched.

40th anniversary McQueen, crown at 9pm has an ETA movement, comes with the McQueen box, solid case back, and chrome edge around the date. Hefty 2nd hand prices. 38mm in size.

Calibre 12 edition, crown at 3, darker shade of blue, sellita movement. Now replaced bu the new 02 movement. Can be had in the Christmas sales.

Calibre 11 (not the original 60's Monaco movement) similar to the 40th, some say a different shade of blue (unsure) crown on at 9pm, no chrome date surround, sellita movement, exhibition case back. Never usually discounted although swisswatches direct used to.

New 02 movement, darker blue, 3 register chrono, seconds at 6pm. Crown at 3pm, in house movement.

Master
    A couple of references:
    https://www.calibre11.com/model/tag-...-heuer-monaco/
    https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-monaco-re-edition/

I have one of the first Monaco models by TAG (branded only as HEUER), the CS2110. Not blue, but a very nice, comparatively rare watch with a vintage feel, particularly on a Corfam strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    From what I understand, from the blue faced Monaco (McQueen) watched.

40th anniversary McQueen, crown at 9pm has an ETA movement, comes with the McQueen box, solid case back, and chrome edge around the date. Hefty 2nd hand prices. 38mm in size.

This is the one I was referring to with the ETA, meant to be bulletproof, and the one I would choose, would go nicely with my 40th anniversary carrera

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    This is the one I was referring to with the ETA, meant to be bulletproof, and the one I would choose, would go nicely with my 40th anniversary carrera

Very nice, very expensive, but very desirable.

I had a 3 register black dial about 10 years ago but always hankered after a McQueen, in the end I recently went for the CAW211P, love the crown at 9 o’clock, it really balances the look of the watch!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by boddah; 15th January 2020 at 19:44.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Many thanks for the replies so far.

I may not have been sufficiently clear - my friend is only interested in buying new.

I would still be interested in comparative pros and cons of the three currently available blue Monacos - respectively Calibres 11, 12 and 02. All three are still listed on the Tag Heuer website as current models...

Simon

The grey and orange vintage re edition call 11 isn't a bad looked either

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Very nice, very expensive, but very desirable.
    I know but it’s the one to have and therefore the one I aspire to have, shrewd investment too though I think it’ll be one of the tags that appreciates well

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Many thanks for the replies so far.

I may not have been sufficiently clear - my friend is only interested in buying new.

I would still be interested in comparative pros and cons of the three currently available blue Monacos - respectively Calibres 11, 12 and 02. All three are still listed on the Tag Heuer website as current models...

Simon
    That makes it very easy then.
    Go for the Cal 11 (CAW211P). It's the only one to have the HEUER branding and the crown on the opposite side of the dial, similar to the original. The other two are TAG branded and have the crown in the normal position, at '3'.
    If he is only going to buy 'new' from the current range it's no contest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I know but it’s the one to have and therefore the one I aspire to have, shrewd investment too though I think it’ll be one of the tags that appreciates well

Totally agree. I think the introduction of the CAW211P has softened the price of the 40th anniversary a little, which may make it a little easier to acquire. Hard to know how much it will impact on values in the long term. Round pushers would have set the LE apart and raised it to another level. Pity they couldn't have gone the whole hog for all of the Cal 11 'reissues'.

That makes it very easy then.
    Go for the Cal 11 (CAW211P). It's the only one to have the HEUER branding and the crown on the opposite side of the dial, similar to the original. The other two are TAG branded and have the crown in the normal position, at '3'.
    If he is only going to buy 'new' from the current range it's no contest.
    Very clear and very helpful, Tom. Many thanks.

Simon

On the basis of advice here I’ve now advised my friend to buy a Calibre 11.

This forum continues to be an extraordinary resource. Thanks to all.

Simon

Master
    Totally agree. I think the introduction of the CAW211P has softened the price of the 40th anniversary a little, which may make it a little easier to acquire. Hard to know how much it will impact on values in the long term. Round pushers would have set the LE apart and raised it to another level. Pity they couldn't have gone the whole hog for all of the Cal 11 'reissues'.
    Yeah I agree with that, would have been nice to have such a distinguishing feature but overall still can’t complain, can’t go far wrong with a Monaco I don’t think

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    On the basis of advice here I’ve now advised my friend to buy a Calibre 11.

This forum continues to be an extraordinary resource. Thanks to all.

Simon
    Good choice, definitely the one I would go for.

I also have a Cal 11 and your friend will not be disappointed!