closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Outdoor security light / camera

Outdoor security light / camera

I need to replace our old PIR activated security light (mains powered) that covers the front drive & was wondering about getting a unit with a camera while I'm at it and would appreciate some advice based on experience please?

Requirements:-

The main one is it needs to be well made and waterproof so it lasts a good few years. Is 5 years+ a reasonable expectation?
    I don't need the light to be super bright, but I do want long lamp life. I guess LED is the way to go?
    I'd like the option of being able to turn the light on & have it stay on when I'm working outside, as happens occasionally.
    The sensor needs to be adjustable for range. I don't want the light coming on when people walk past our house, but I do when they walk on to the drive.
    With the camera, I'm assuming they just keep overwriting the SD card unless you specifically want to keep the footage which would be fine. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for storage.

Thanks in advance.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I had the same conundrum not long ago and I couldn’t find a decent light and camera combination that worked so what I did was get 2 new LED lights in place of the old halogen ones and due to the proximity and location of doors etc plumped for a ring doorbell .. still on the lookout for a camera system though so I’ll follow this and see what others come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don't expect to find anything cheap that lasts. Most outdoor electrical stuff from the Far East is bordering on dangerous due to lack of waterproofing. German security takes some beating.

https://www.beg-luxomat.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I need to replace our old PIR activated security light (mains powered) that covers the front drive & was wondering about getting a unit with a camera while I'm at it and would appreciate some advice based on experience please?

Requirements:-

The main one is it needs to be well made and waterproof so it lasts a good few years. Is 5 years+ a reasonable expectation?
    I don't need the light to be super bright, but I do want long lamp life. I guess LED is the way to go?
    I'd like the option of being able to turn the light on & have it stay on when I'm working outside, as happens occasionally.
    The sensor needs to be adjustable for range. I don't want the light coming on when people walk past our house, but I do when they walk on to the drive.
    With the camera, I'm assuming they just keep overwriting the SD card unless you specifically want to keep the footage which would be fine. I don't want to pay a monthly subscription for storage.

Thanks in advance.
    Andy. Theses are top quality
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/ivp2s37i/

Craftsman
    I got a Ring floodlight camera, it was simple to set up and the camera is spot on. It records over cloud and its about £25 per year to access the footage. Also it allows me to live view and it has a speaker if I need to shout at any intruders. :-)

I did debate whether it was worth £200, had it for several months now and considering buying another for the back of the house.. Great bit of kit.

Master
    On the combined led and pir front Steinel make lights you'd be happy to put on your house, and some come with pir detection that's adjustable. Failing that and if you want a separate pir and light, some of the best PIRs come from Steinel and Luxomat.

I have Netatmo products - security cameras and lights in one. App control for the led light and for the detection zones which are adjustable. They work well, though sometimes the detection is a bit hit and miss (eg. it sometimes confuses paper bags for animals). If you have an existing mains security light they can use the same cable - they don't need a cat 5/6 as they work on wifi.

Ian

Lutec do some good quality stuff. 5y guaranteed https://postimg.cc/gallery/37o8rh8hq/

Master
    Just been reading up on the amazon link in the first post, that ankke kit seems excellent value, has anyone else got one?

I have a Ring camera too, bought it on here and so far it's caught one miscreant who sadly was already back in the clink before the police could use it against him but footage was successfully used in court two weeks ago to help stick an electronic tag on another miscreant and have both a curfew and banning order slapped on him. Both filmed in the early hours of the morning, both clear enough to identify both ne'er-do-wells.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I have a Ring camera too, bought it on here and so far it's caught one miscreant who sadly was already back in the clink before the police could use it against him but footage was successfully used in court two weeks ago to help stick an electronic tag on another miscreant and have both a curfew and banning order slapped on him. Both filmed in the early hours of the morning, both clear enough to identify both ne'er-do-wells.
    We really like ours, Mrs Macca feels particularly safe when I’m working away

Run a couple of Netatmo Presence picked up in Maplins clearance have been very happy with them and the recognition etc works pretty well too.

Master
    Another vote for the netatmo. Replaced my porch lights front and back and has worked very well and does everything you require from your post. No ongoing subscription costs too unlike Ring, Nest, Logi Circle.

Master
    My Pal has both Ring and Netamo on his house following a spate of car vandalism. Both allow you to define the activation zone. He feels the Ring just edges it , due to the lower number of false detection and also the ability to remotely turn on the spotlight and if required the siren.

Steve

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just been reading up on the amazon link in the first post, that ankke kit seems excellent value, has anyone else got one?

I too like the look of that and 20% off as well, less than £100.