closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Wedding gift watch

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    55

    Wedding gift watch

    My partner has kindly offered to buy me a watch to "exchange" on our wedding in place of a ring for me. My only problem is, without much experience of watch shopping, I don't know where to start so I am reaching out to the TZUK guys for a bit of direction - please!

    I currently wear a Maurice Lacroix Les Classifies and I am fond of watches such as the Breitling Navitimer and IWC Portuguese. Generally don't find bracelet Rolexes or Omegas to my liking. Our price bracket is likely to be between £1k and £2.5k.

    Please can you let me have any recommendations as to where my search should start?

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    431
    If you could stretch your budget a little you could get a Sinn 903, sometimes referred to as the Sinn Navitimer. Neil at Chronomaster would do you a good deal. I had 3 Sinn from him last year with discount on all.

    Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    My partner has kindly offered to buy me a watch to "exchange" on our wedding in place of a ring for me. My only problem is, without much experience of watch shopping, I don't know where to start so I am reaching out to the TZUK guys for a bit of direction - please!

    I currently wear a Maurice Lacroix Les Classifies and I am fond of watches such as the Breitling Navitimer and IWC Portuguese. Generally don't find bracelet Rolexes or Omegas to my liking. Our price bracket is likely to be between £1k and £2.5k.

    Please can you let me have any recommendations as to where my search should start?
    Used to be a jeweller.

    Lots of blokes hated the thought of wearing a ring, for myriad reasons.

    Even if you get a watch, which is a lovely gesture from your wife to be, get a ring to wear as well, even if a more affordable silver or titanium piece as a gesture for her. Take my word for it.

    When it comes to weddings and all the money that gets spent, photos and rings are the most important. Everything else is forgotten and fades away. A current watch, may one day be obsolete and without service options... to get relegated to a drawer.

    Plus, you don’t read as super keen on the watch idea.

  4. #4
    Master Sinnlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,221
    What about a set of handcuffs? (Joking)

    The 903 suggested above is a fantastic watch. If you like a Navitimer I would also say have a look at a 903, they are not a knockoff design, they are linked in with the history of the Navitimer.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    Used to be a jeweller.

    Lots of blokes hated the thought of wearing a ring, for myriad reasons.

    Even if you get a watch, which is a lovely gesture from your wife to be, get a ring to wear as well, even if a more affordable silver or titanium piece as a gesture for her. Take my word for it.

    When it comes to weddings and all the money that gets spent, photos and rings are the most important. Everything else is forgotten and fades away. A current watch, may one day be obsolete and without service options... to get relegated to a drawer.

    Plus, you donít read as super keen on the watch idea.
    Iíd second this - my wife got me a Sinn 556 as an equivalent to her engagement ring. This lives mostly in its box and comes out for special occasions. My wedding ring stays on pretty much all the time.

  6. #6
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    55
    First, the watch - that is lovely. Unmistakably from the Navitimer stable.

    Second, the ring. I am a stubborn traditionalist and an uncomfortable wearer of jewellery (apart from watches). Both lend themselves to me not wearing a wedding ring. That said, I can see the symbolism of exchanging rings on our wedding day. I just do not think I'd wear it that often - and neither does my fiancee, hence her idea to get me something that I would wear.

    Perhaps it is to get the ring for symbolism but save the dosh on getting one that I won't wear daily and splash that elsewhere on our wedding!

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    110
    Married ring wearer here. I like the watch idea, plus you could have it engraved if thatís your thing, like a wedding band?

    That said, there are other aspects I noticed shortly after getting married 7 years ago - and wearing a ring (subjective of course):

    1) people at work took me more seriously, along the lines of: ďthis guy is married = committed, mature, trustworthy
    2) the flirting stopped
    3) I felt myself to be a proper adult
    4) ...

    So whatever it is, there seems to be a certain symbolism in wearing a ring. Not to be dismissed IMHO.

    But thatís just my 2 cents...


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    281
    IWC Portuguese is going to be too much even pre-owned on your budget.

    Have you considered the Portofino range instead? Iíve seen them on occasion for 2.5k in newish condition.
    How you mentioned the Navitimer, I like the simplicity of the Aviator 8 and again that can be had on budget.

    If you like the cleanish dual timeless look of a watch i would seriously consider a Nomos Ahoi

    Sheffield is poor for watch hunting unless itís Breitling/Omega/Tudor... id suggest a day out in Leeds for some inspiration.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    Perhaps it is to get the ring for symbolism but save the dosh on getting one that I won't wear daily and splash that elsewhere on our wedding!
    Indeed. The symbolism and meaning of a ring costing several K is no more than that of one costing a hundred quid. That said it is your wedding and you should do what feels right to you (and the bride to be!).

  10. #10
    First of all congratulations. I have been lucky to be very happily married for the last 25 years, best decision I ever made.....so I am told!!

    Although your budget is not insignificant unfortunately it is not a lot in the current watch market. If I was in your shoes then I would likely look to operate at the top of your budget and aim to pick-up a nice pre-owned Rolex Oyster Date or Air King. Both are available at around 2-2.5k and can easily be worn on a range of straps. Reading your posts you seem to be a practical no nonsense type of chap so the models suggested should be ideally suited. Whatever you do I hope you and your partner enjoy the day and take time to focus on one another rather than all the "background noise" that always happens at such events. Good luck.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    495
    I would (and did) go for the symbolism of a basic titanium ring and then a nice Grand Seiko Quartz. GS really are exceptional watches and can be had new with your name on the papers for your budget. Maybe if buy from somewhere like Jura, you could ask them to date the paperwork on your wedding day.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information