closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Company cars, anyone else fed up with being pumped by HMRC?

Apprentice

Company cars, anyone else fed up with being pumped by HMRC?

Hopefully this thread can be used as a reference for anyone in a similar position and is looking at ways of reducing their company car tax bill but still allows them to a car that's fit for purpose.

It's that time again and I need to look in to changing my company car which is a 18 plate 2lt diesel 4X4 Tiguan

Currently my yearly car tax bill is £5k, looking to get that down closer to £3k.

My requirements are a 5 seater, good motorway car (not looking to throw it in to corners) 40+ miles to the gallon and a Hybrid (not plug in)
    Lease profile is 24 months, 3 payments up front and 25,000 mile per year and all the for no more than £450 per month ex vat.

From my research there's not really an awful lot out there to choose from, so far I've I've spotted the new Mondeo hybrid Vignale, Toyota Rav4 Excel, Toyota Camry Excel and the Honda CRV.

Strangely I'm drawn more to the Camry as it's £3k cheaper than the Rav4, is fitted with the same 2.5lt engine and the same trim.

There's also a site that I've used to work out the tax implications for many of the cars out there which might be useful to some.

https://www.nextgreencar.com/

Please let me know your experiences, and let me know if you have found any other options out there as I'm fed up paying over the odds to drive a company car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a cheap deal sent last week on the Volvo XC40 looks like they are trying to shift metal

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Had a cheap deal sent last week on the Volvo XC40 looks like they are trying to shift metal
    I'm guessing these won't be the hybrid and won't reduce my tax bill.

Craftsman
    I went with a commercial vehicle in 2017 (Nissan Navara)

And will be again this year.

I do use the tray for work but it's not essential.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Get a pick up like Navara. Very Company tax efficient

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Hopefully this thread can be used as a reference for anyone in a similar position and is looking at ways of reducing their company car tax bill but still allows them to a car that's fit for purpose.

It's that time again and I need to look in to changing my company car which is a 18 plate 2lt diesel 4X4 Tiguan

Currently my yearly car tax bill is £5k, looking to get that down closer to £3k.

My requirements are a 5 seater, good motorway car (not looking to throw it in to corners) 40+ miles to the gallon and a Hybrid (not plug in)
    Lease profile is 24 months, 3 payments up front and 25,000 mile per year and all the for no more than £450 per month ex vat.

From my research there's not really an awful lot out there to choose from, so far I've I've spotted the new Mondeo hybrid Vignale, Toyota Rav4 Excel, Toyota Camry Excel and the Honda CRV.

Strangely I'm drawn more to the Camry as it's £3k cheaper than the Rav4, is fitted with the same 2.5lt engine and the same trim.

There's also a site that I've used to work out the tax implications for many of the cars out there which might be useful to some.

https://www.nextgreencar.com/

Please let me know your experiences, and let me know if you have found any other options out there as I'm fed up paying over the odds to drive a company car.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Get a pick up like Navara. Very Company tax efficient
    I don't think I could drive something that size everyday around town.

Craftsman
    I don't think I could drive something that size everyday around town.
    Test drive one I think you may be surprised, easy enough to handle, nice driving position, 360 cameras in tekna version.

Master
    I opted out and buy my own. Costs the same as the tax and I will own the car after. I've worked out I'll be £12k better off.

we stopped having company cars 20 years ago, you have to do an awful lot of private mile to make it worth while, however we recently leased a couple of electric cars, which does make sense.

Depends on your business mileage but I too opted out back in 2004, run my own and used the opt out payments to raise the funds when I fancy a change.

Craftsman
    Ive just opted for a Corolla touring sports hybrid ( estate ) the top spec. its worked out 140 a month cheaper than my last company car due to the CO2 emissions.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Ive just opted for a Corolla touring sports hybrid ( estate ) the top spec. its worked out 140 a month cheaper than my last company car due to the CO2 emissions.
    Good post, these are the kind of savings that make a difference. Going on my current car and switching to the Corolla would be a saving of £2k per year which would I plan to use to pay off our mortgage a bit earlier.

Please let me know what it's like to drive\live with.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Depends on your business mileage but I too opted out back in 2004, run my own and used the opt out payments to raise the funds when I fancy a change.
    Sadly I don't have the opt out option.
    I have around a month to go before I need to place my order, so it's time to book some test drives.

Teslateslateslateslatesla

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Teslateslateslateslatesla

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Not possible\practical

Having run an XC90 hybrid on the company scheme for the past 3 years, I'm buying it off the leasing co when the lease ends. There's nothing on the market that is both tax efficient and appealing, and I've got a decent price for the car. When I factor in things like a known history, exactly the spec I want etc, it was a no-brainer. Salary sacrifice company cars have been my mainstay for most of the past 20 years, but the numbers just don't make sense for me any more.

Craftsman
    Iím a bit surprised that the BIK changes for electric cars havenít gained more public attention, perhaps it will this year when the mainstream cars from the likes of VW and ford become available it will.
    If you have off street parking and the ability to get a charging point installed, a fully electric car will be quite sufficient for most people. A number of the cars coming this year have ranges in excess of 300 miles, how many people regularly drive more than that in a day? The average annual mileage is something like 10,000 per annum so less than 200 a week.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Iím a bit surprised that the BIK changes for electric cars havenít gained more public attention, perhaps it will this year when the mainstream cars from the likes of VW and ford become available it will.
    If you have off street parking and the ability to get a charging point installed, a fully electric car will be quite sufficient for most people. A number of the cars coming this year have ranges in excess of 300 miles, how many people regularly drive more than that in a day? The average annual mileage is something like 10,000 per annum so less than 200 a week.

Itís the non-regular >300 miles thatís the problem.

Drivers of cars that will be affected by BIK are by definition company car drivers who use them for work as a necessity, and therefore usually above average milage drivers, I do 25k a year and granted, 300 miles in a day would be a infrequent journey, 200 + is usual, it wouldn't take much traffic or a diversion to be a risky business, am I right in saying that the range of EV cars goes down after time as the batteries lose efficiency? It might make year 3 of a 3 year deal a bit limiting if it does.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Drivers of cars that will be affected by BIK are by definition company car drivers who use them for work as a necessity, and therefore usually above average milage drivers, I do 25k a year and granted, 300 miles in a day would be a infrequent journey, 200 + is usual, it wouldn't take much traffic or a diversion to be a risky business, am I right in saying that the range of EV cars goes down after time as the batteries lose efficiency? It might make year 3 of a 3 year deal a bit limiting if it does.
    I have no need of a company car for work but I have the option to take one as a salary sacrifice, effectively saving me 40% on the lease cost as itís pre-tax and there is no BIK for 20/21, hence why it has much wider appeal than typical company car users.

I donít think the batteries degrade in the same way as they do on a phone for example as they are not being depleted and charged with the same frequency. Even at 25k miles a year thatís only 500 a week so 2 charges a week.

Master
    Couple of people at work who are on the car scheme have gone for the new Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid. They reckon itíll save them loads per month due to the low emissions and the resultant BIK charges.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    How things change in January 19 XC40ís were on a minimum of 6 months lead time!

Steve

Happy enough with the tax I pay on my 2019 Prius, my fourth hybrid company car in the last ten years or so. Wouldnít entertain anything else until full-EVs become a practical proposition.

Master
    I gave up my company car for an allowance at least 10 years ago, just before my company abolished the car scheme, as most folks had opted out for tax reasons.

It allowed me to spend as much, or as little on the car I choose. I’ve had my current car for around 8 years, so have no payments or tax implications, other then the tax on my allowance.

That being said, my annual business mileage is almost zero, as I much prefer the train these days.

Craftsman
    CHRís are popular with my colleagues, however itís fair to say theyíre not as interested in the drive and more in the monthly deduction. We have some rules for suitability of company cars ordered which includes a maximum 106g/km of CO2 hence the CHRs.

Thankfully, the new BMW 116d is only 100g/km so falls right in line and is only an extra £10-15p/m in BIK than the equivalent P11D valued CHR or Corolla so it seemed like a no brainer. Order placed last week and Iím looking forward to taking delivery in a couple of months.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    CHRís are popular with my colleagues, however itís fair to say theyíre not as interested in the drive and more in the monthly deduction. We have some rules for suitability of company cars ordered which includes a maximum 106g/km of CO2 hence the CHRs.

Thankfully, the new BMW 116d is only 100g/km so falls right in line and is only an extra £10-15p/m in BIK than the equivalent P11D valued CHR or Corolla so it seemed like a no brainer. Order placed last week and Iím looking forward to taking delivery in a couple of months.

That sounds like a result the new 1 series looks like a good car.

I've spent some time looking at various options and it's interesting to see that the mainstream manufacturers are pricing their SUV's at around £3K more than their saloon\hatch counterparts. Take the Rav4 hybrid in Excel trim and compare it to the new Toyota Camry, same 2.5L hybrid engine, same excel trim and the Rav4 in 2wd is £3k more than the Camry.

Audi Etron 0% bik

Craftsman
    That sounds like a result the new 1 series looks like a good car.

I've spent some time looking at various options and it's interesting to see that the mainstream manufacturers are pricing their SUV's at around £3K more than their saloon\hatch counterparts. Take the Rav4 hybrid in Excel trim and compare it to the new Toyota Camry, same 2.5L hybrid engine, same excel trim and the Rav4 in 2wd is £3k more than the Camry.
    Playing the market arenít they? The popularity of crossovers and soft-UVís is surging, they price the car 15% higher and pocket between 10-13% of that increase as Iíd wager the cost of manufacturing isnít much higher for the SUV.

So many manufacturers chopping out unpopular body styles and poor selling models out of their ranges entirely of ever more pointless cars that are only slightly taller. Take the new Ford Puma as a prime example - what really is the practical benefit of it or a Nissan Juke over the slightly cheaper hatchback that theyíre built on?

Apprentice
    Playing the market arenít they? The popularity of crossovers and soft-UVís is surging, they price the car 15% higher and pocket between 10-13% of that increase as Iíd wager the cost of manufacturing isnít much higher for the SUV.

So many manufacturers chopping out unpopular body styles and poor selling models out of their ranges entirely of ever more pointless cars that are only slightly taller. Take the new Ford Puma as a prime example - what really is the practical benefit of it or a Nissan Juke over the slightly cheaper hatchback that theyíre built on?

Talking of the new Puma, have you seen the large shopping basket storage compartment hidden in the boot?

Craftsman
    Talking of the new Puma, have you seen the large shopping basket storage compartment hidden in the boot?

Good for wetsuits apparently too, it has a drain plug in the bottom so you can rinse it out properly.

Personally, Iíd line it with ice packs and use it to repatriate pasties from Cornwall to my freezer ;-)

Craftsman

Are you sure? I think the BMW is 25% BIK for 20/21 and about 3% lower for the C-HR which would be more like £30/ month

Apprentice
    Good for wetsuits apparently too, it has a drain plug in the bottom so you can rinse it out properly.

Personally, Iíd line it with ice packs and use it to repatriate pasties from Cornwall to my freezer ;-)

There's got to be a better use of ice than that.

Craftsman
    Awww getting a brand new car for the tax on an extra 5k a year such a terrible deal. Spare a thought for us poor schmucks who have to actually pay for our cars. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Are you sure? I think the BMW is 25% BIK for 20/21 and about 3% lower for the C-HR which would be more like £30/ month

Youíre right. Apologies, I was referencing without fuel benefit.

Iíd rather have a spare wheel than a ďshopping basketĒ and a can of shaving foam.

I know you say no plugins but why not get a BMW 330e but donít bother plugging it in. Iíve had mine for a couple of months now and Iím impressed, circa 300bhp and as of April 12% BIK.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Iíd rather have a spare wheel than a ďshopping basketĒ and a can of shaving foam.
    I can't really argue with that.

I have no need of a company car for work but I have the option to take one as a salary sacrifice, effectively saving me 40% on the lease cost as itís pre-tax and there is no BIK for 20/21, hence why it has much wider appeal than typical company car users.
    I'm amazed they still allow that - The company I left a couple of years ago were looking at it, but the advice was that it was a loophole that HMRC would close as it was far too generous!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Lots of cars don't offer the option of the 'shopping basket' when they take away the spare wheel - It actually looks a great idea for divers/surfers/etc :D

I agree on the effectiveness of the 'shaving foam' though - When I had my RX8 (no spare), I had two punctures in 3 months and the cans were totally useless - I bought a spacesaver from a Lexus for £40 instead - Typically, I never suffered a puncture again in that car!

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm amazed they still allow that - The company I left a couple of years ago were looking at it, but the advice was that it was a loophole that HMRC would close as it was far too generous!

M
    I think since most new vehicles are bought by companies, the government have realised this is the quickest way to improve the take up of electric and hybrid vehicles given their increased cost.
    Iíve never had a company car before but with the 0% BIK itís a no brainer. My new e-tron works out at a net cost to me of £450 per month fully maintained, insured and taxed with no down payment.

Master
    My wife has a salary sacrifice car via a work scheme and Tusker.
    If I'm honest I don't think it's that good a value, but the wife likes the peace of mind that it's fully maintained so all she pays for is fuel.
    This weekend we are off to look at various replacements for it as the car is up for renewal in a few months.

She has been looking at SUV style to replace her Qashqai but seeing the comment about the 330 above and checking the price it's in the same ball park cost wise, something we'd not considered.

Any other suggestions for cars that make sense when it comes to BIK welcomed, although due to not having a drive or a dedicated spot on the road all electric is not an option for us at the moment.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post

She has been looking at SUV style to replace her Qashqai but seeing the comment about the 330 above and checking the price it's in the same ball park cost wise, something we'd not considered.
    Here's mine

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

Master
    Interesting interior colour and nice house Alex. Iím an NHS employee and weíve recently had a company come onboard offering some great deals on electric cars. Yesterday I could have had a Tesla Model 3 performance on 20k a year, fully maintained with 4 named drivers plus insurance, tax, tyres, roadside assistance etc for £440 a month with no deposit over 2 years and includes the cost of the charging point installed at home -does that sound good to those in the know?
    Last edited by Kevin Glover; 17th January 2020 at 15:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    Interesting interior colour and nice house Alex. I’m an NHS employee and we’ve recently had a company come onboard offering some great deals on electric cars. Yesterday I could have had a Tesla Model 3 performance on 20k a year, fully maintained with 4 named drivers plus insurance, tax, tyres, roadside assistance etc for £440 a month with no deposit over 2 years- does that sound good to those in the know?
    Thanks, the interior isn't quite as "David Dickinson" in real life. It's Portimao Blue with Cognac leather.

That Tesla deal sounds very cheap to me

Master
    That's a better deal than my wife's NHS deal for a Tesla model 3 performance hers works out at £712 over 3 years.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Interesting interior colour and nice house Alex. Iím an NHS employee and weíve recently had a company come onboard offering some great deals on electric cars. Yesterday I could have had a Tesla Model 3 performance on 20k a year, fully maintained with 4 named drivers plus insurance, tax, tyres, roadside assistance etc for £440 a month with no deposit over 2 years and includes the cost of the charging point installed at home -does that sound good to those in the know?
    That sounds like "rip their hand off" good !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    That sounds like "rip their hand off" good !!
    Iím guessing a lot of people did yesterday as itís not on the system today!

Good God.
    Unless I have misunderstood something here, you need to be kicking, biting, scratching and fighting your way to the front of the queue to get one of those!

Stonking deal.

Craftsman
    Looks like a good deal, roughly the same terms works out at £500/m on our scheme.