closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glashütte Original - thoughts?

Journeyman

Glashütte Original - thoughts?

Good afternoon,

long time lurker, new(ish) poster here...

I’ve noticed that Glashütte Original (GO) watches usually receive decent reviews (thought to be inferior to A. Lange & Söhne, but superior to other Glashütte makers?) and sell at decent prices 2nd hand (well, decent for buyers, not so decent for sellers I presume).

So I’m piqued.

May I ask those of you who have actually owned a GO what your experiences are?

Where would you position this brand vis-a-vis Rolex day? Or JLC?

Many thanks I indeed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

In my experience quality is on par with JLC, more refined than Rolex (although a different category of watch typically so not comparing apples with apples), not quite as refined as Grand Seiko. Definitely not the same level as ALS.

They typically have beautifully decorated movements and I've often felt they would be better worn upside down! :)

GO make some excellent watches, but they also have some designs which don't work for me (the SeaQ being one). Also a lot of GO watches wear quite big, so definitely try them out beforehand.

I have a Panomatic Lunar which is excellent - GO make the best big date complication, much nicer than the disastrous Lange - with the divider and the numbers on different planes.

I would say on par with JLC, if not better - but depends on the watch really. The 'lower end' JLC has definitely declined in quality over the years, not as refined anymore.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    In my experience quality is on par with JLC, more refined than Rolex (although a different category of watch typically so not comparing apples with apples), not quite as refined as Grand Seiko. Definitely not the same level as ALS.

They typically have beautifully decorated movements and I've often felt they would be better worn upside down! :)
    I guess that is thinking behind the PanoInverse?

Back in 90's I had a Senator Navigator bought it to replace an IWC MKXII I stupidly sold. Unfortunately it just didn't click with me. Can't fault the quality and craftsmanship though, it was beautifully made.

Master
    I've had 3 Sport Evo's, one currently owned + a Seventies Pano Date and definitely feel the quality is at least on a par if not better than comparable Rolexes in the case of the SE. The bracelet in particular is much better, with an excellent micro adjusting feature.

Had a couple of JLC and again feel, quality & build wise they are well matched. Resale is similar too!

- - - Updated - - -

I've had 3 Sport Evo's, one currently owned + a Seventies Pano Date and definitely feel the quality is at least on a par if not better than comparable Rolexes in the case of the SE. The bracelet in particular is much better, with an excellent micro adjusting feature.

Had a couple of JLC and again feel, quality & build wise they are well matched. Resale is similar too!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyal View Post
    The bracelet in particular is much better, with an excellent micro adjusting feature.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I find that very helpful.

Re. bracelet, are you referring to their steel or leather bracelets, or both?

Thanks again

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zen123 View Post
    Back in 90's I had a Senator Navigator bought it to replace an IWC MKXII I stupidly sold. Unfortunately it just didn't click with me. Can't fault the quality and craftsmanship though, it was beautifully made.
    Very interesting, thank you. Their Senator Navigator is one of the models I’m looking at atm. Did your have a ‘Panorama Date’? Steel or sapphire glass back?

Journeyman
    I find them to be pretty much on par with JLC and probably even a touch in front in terms of the designs of their sportier models.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I would say on par with JLC, if not better - but depends on the watch really. The 'lower end' JLC has definitely declined in quality over the years, not as refined anymore.
    Thank you. That’s interesting re lower end JLC quality. May I ask which model (series) you are referring to by lower end? JLC Master? entry level Reverso? Polaris?

Cheers

GO have my grail - Senator Chronometer 58-01. I've not seen any other maker with such a ridiculously practical movement.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfiesPapa View Post
    Very interesting, thank you. Their Senator Navigator is one of the models I’m looking at atm. Did your have a ‘Panorama Date’? Steel or sapphire glass back?
    It was this one, 38mm case. I don't like the sword hands

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you. That’s interesting re lower end JLC quality. May I ask which model (series) you are referring to by lower end? JLC Master? entry level Reverso? Polaris?

Cheers
    The watch which infuriated me was the sector dial JLC. Window was lazy and finishing no way as good as it should have been for the price. The Polaris etc are all 'fine', no issues but nothing outstanding to warrant the prices they are trying to charge.
    Last edited by crazyp; 13th January 2020 at 17:35.

I had this a while ago.

Lovely watch - very nicely finished.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I find that very helpful.

Re. bracelet, are you referring to their steel or leather bracelets, or both?

Thanks again

Yes, the steel bracelets. Forget the name of the very nice leather strap on the Sport Evo, expensive, top quality but the bracelet was a must have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have a Seventies Panorama Date, original purple/lilac dial was scratched at service so they replaced it with the new dark blue dial. Bracelet is a superb bit of engineering (look at the profile and the way the two different size pieces connect) and has a much better adjustable clasp than the current Sub. I loved the look of it when it was originally released but not the price. Fortunately they don’t hold value well, which is great if you are a buyer. (Not my photos, sorry Soapy).

Excellent quality, and generally better than most JLC I’ve seen or handled.

Ive had two Pano’s and visited the factory with some other members last year. There are very well finished, especially the movements, but where GO might spend a lot of time polishing and decorating one side of a movement piece, the one that can be viewed through a caseback for example, ALS will polish and decorate the whole thing.

Id say they are a great used buy if you find a look/design that you really like.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Lovely blued screws there

Journeyman
    They make some great watches. Though I would like to see them get away from the calibre 39, it's a bit long in the tooth now and doesnt take a finish as well as their more modern movements.

The pano collection is an absolute standout.

Love the Pano models, and maybe in a few years I'd be lucky enough to own one. Look like the punch above their price. Just unsure on dial colour and if the auto moonphase or manual power reserve.

I'm a sucker for the big date window.

I have a Seventies Panorama Date, original purple/lilac dial was scratched at service so they replaced it with the new dark blue dial. Bracelet is a superb bit of engineering (look at the profile and the way the two different size pieces connect) and has a much better adjustable clasp than the current Sub. I loved the look of it when it was originally released but not the price. Fortunately they don’t hold value well, which is great if you are a buyer. (Not my photos, sorry Soapy).

Tried one of these on ,like you say I didn’t like the rrp,but if I could get a used one at a good price it would be hard to turn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the brand. I've owned three. I hankered after their rather stunning Senator Chronometer but I stuck with a rather nice brochure of this model based on it's high retail price.

I currently own a Senator Navigator Chronograph that Glashutte Original discontinued back in 2012 I think, so only a three year run. It's 44mm and a brushed steel model so it suits my personal taste. The blued hands are stunning and it has perfect legibility. The display back is superb. It is one of my favourite watches.

Last edited by j111dja; 15th January 2020 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I love the brand. I've owned three. I hankered after their rather stunning Senator Chronometer but I stuck with a rather nice brochure of this model based on it's high retail price.

I currently own a Senator Navigator Chronograph that Glashutte Original discontinued back in 2012 I think, so only a three year run. It's 44mm and a brushed steel model so it suits my personal taste. The blued hands are stunning and it has perfect legibility. The display back is superb. It is one of my favourite watches.

Gorgeous!!!

Journeyman

Thank you! I’ve heard that their service fees are very reasonably, but difficult to access from the UK. Is that your experience, too?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Excellent quality, and generally better than most JLC I’ve seen or handled.

Ive had two Pano’s and visited the factory with some other members last year. There are very well finished, especially the movements, but where GO might spend a lot of time polishing and decorating one side of a movement piece, the one that can be viewed through a caseback for example, ALS will polish and decorate the whole thing.

Id say they are a great used buy if you find a look/design that you really like.
    Thank you for your reply. I’m really piqued... when you visited, did you tour the other Glashütte makers (ALS, Nomos, Union (?) etc) too?

Journeyman
    [/QUOTE]

That is one beautiful watch indeed!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you! I’ve heard that their service fees are very reasonably, but difficult to access from the UK. Is that your experience, too?
    The Panarama Date 3 handers are the second lowest tier of service cost. To service and replace the glass cost me £555 for the service and £166 for a new crystal. I think there is a list of service costs on the GO website.

That is one beautiful watch indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artium View Post
    Gorgeous!!!

Thank you.
    Last edited by j111dja; 15th January 2020 at 21:17.

Craftsman
    First, I should declare my hand: I'm a big fan of the town(ette) of Glashütte, and many of its products -- so, expect me to be positive.

I have visited both GO (two hours, in a group of five) and Moritz Grossmann (over two hours, just me), and I own seven watches from the place (three GO, Three MG, and one Nomos) -- which represent half of my collection. I would happily own examples from ALS too, but their designs don't stir my soul as much as the models from MG and GO -- and, as has already been said, their non-coplanar big-date implementation is an acquired taste. It is however beyond doubt that all of the upmarket brands from Glashütte place great emphasis on quality -- "it'll do" doesn't seem to feature in their vocabulary at all. And, of course, all their movements are truly in-house in design and manufacture
    It is true (as has been said) that GO finishing is not quite at the levels of ALS/MG, but that comparison sets the bar very high indeed. GO pieces are very fine watches in their own right -- and, whilst pricey, are not nearly as expensive as those from their (very) near neighbours.

I would echo the point made about "Kaliber 39" -- it is undoubtedly a robust and high quality movement, but it is less modern, and quite a lot less pretty than (for instance) Kaliber 65, 100 and 36.

My GOs:

Sport Evolution Panoramadatum. 42mm steel. Showing the bracelet adjustment and Kaliber 39.

Panoreserve (The Pano line is GO's most popular). 40mm steel. Showing their Kaliber 65 hand wound movement.

Senator Excellence. 40mm steel. Kaliber 36.

Oh, and the responsiveness of GO customer service (email) to the ordinary punter is very good.

Also -- a little boring video ! made of the Panoreserve . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqxHvEuqAQ4

HTH

Last edited by Yokel; 16th January 2020 at 18:44. Reason: Edited to include Glashütte panorama photo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Narrowly missed out on both the last PanoDate and last Seventies that appeared on SC. sent PMs to both current owners asking them to lety me know when they mvoe them on (hint :) )

I've promised myself either of them, but as you say RRP is a bit much to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I had this a while ago.

Lovely watch - very nicely finished.
    I’d love one of those. Almost pulled the trigger on one 3 yrs ago but fell down the Tudor rabbit hole. Just emerging from that now so that evo may be in my sights again at some point.

Journeyman
    I was hoping it's panomaticlunar thread

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I would echo the point made about "Kaliber 39" -- it is undoubtedly a robust and high quality movement, but it is less modern, and quite a lot less pretty than (for instance) Kaliber 65, 100 and 36
    Thank you Yokel for your insights/knowledge - and of course for these beautiful picture of your watches.

Re movements, the Calibre 39 (if I’m not mistaken?) was a development back in the 1990s, based on the older GUB 30?

Where can I find some better info around all these calibres?

Currently eying one of their Sports Chronographs, and a Flieger with Panoramadatum, both older models, but prices for my budget.

Does the panorama date ever seem out of place on your sportier GO watch, as in: too sophisticated for a ‘tool’watch?

Thanks again

Craftsman

Re movements, the Calibre 39 (if I’m not mistaken?) was a development back in the 1990s, based on the older GUB 30?

Where can I find some better info around all these calibres?
    I'm sure you are right, the Kaliber 39 is a development of the GUB Kaliber 10-30.
    Despite the fact that GUB changed its trading name to GO on privatization in 1994, the GUB logo is still clearly visible under the balance on my 2012 Sport Evo Pano.

Watchbase has quite a decent overview of the calibres in current use at: https://watchbase.com/glashutte-original

Also, your "handle" indicates that there is a good chance that you speak German -- there is quite a lot to be found on Uhrforum.de.

Does the panorama date ever seem out of place on your sportier GO watch, as in: too sophisticated for a ‘tool’watch?
    I'm afraid that I take the rather heretical view that the idea of a mechanical "tool" watch is pretty fatuous for the 21st century -- for me all mechanical watches are (wonderful) male jewellery.
    Also, the GO divers are about the "dressiest" of the genre -- so I think the Panoramadatum looks very good. (And, it's the right way up )

Craftsman
    GO are a haute horology brand with many very interesting pieces through out their range. In terms of horological powress, they are close to JLC but not quite. They are definitely leagues above other German brands like NOMOS across all their offerings.

I had the Panomatic Date and it was my first high-end watch. That was 10 years ago. Loved it. At that time, similarly priced JLC had poorer finishing both in the case and movement. Not sure about now.

I would have no hesitation buying another. It was a very reliable piece. Not sure what you are looking for or your budget, but check out the Panograph in SS second hand. A bargain that can be had for around £6000 for a very well finished manual wind chronograph with a unique display. If you want to go a step up, then look at second hand PanoRetroGraph- that is definitely a haute horology piece that is a bargain. But that would set you back £20000 at least.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Watchbase has quite a decent overview of the calibres in current use at: https://watchbase.com/glashutte-original

Also, your "handle" indicates that there is a good chance that you speak German -- there is quite a lot to be found on Uhrforum.de.

Thanks again Yokel, very kind of you to reply so thoroughly - and good spot re my language skills. I’ll have a look on Uhrforum, too.

Cheers

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    I would have no hesitation buying another. It was a very reliable piece. Not sure what you are looking for or your budget, but check out the Panograph in SS second hand. A bargain that can be had for around £6000 for a very well finished manual wind chronograph with a unique display. If you want to go a step up, then look at second hand PanoRetroGraph- that is definitely a haute horology piece that is a bargain. But that would set you back £20000 at least.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Thank you sir!

I’ll have a look at the former, 6k is not out of bounds at this stage.

Craftsman
    I had a GO senator navigator for many years, to this day probably the best finished watch I’ve ever owned.
    Sent it back to GO for sapphire case back, from memory change from £100, outstanding service.
    Here is my sales post which contains pictures.

FT Glashutte Original Senator Navigator
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Master
    I passed up an opportunity to buy a lovely faded tritium Senator Navigator a few years ago, and definitely feel it’s one that got away. This thread has me thinking about one again, alas a quick C24 search showed not many for sale at all.