closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton Intra matic vs Longines Big Eye

Craftsman

Hamilton Intra matic vs Longines Big Eye

Looking for the collective opinion on these watches please. I'm currently leaning towards the Hamilton but does either represent significant vfm over the other in quality terms.

Alternatively anything else of this style and price point worthy of consideration

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Both beautiful watches, the Longines Big Eye would be my pick of the two as I really love that one. It's stunning on the wrist and different to pretty much anything out there.

I have my reservations about the legibility of the IntraMatic with those steel hands on the silver dial although I've never seen one in person.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 12th January 2020 at 15:07.

For me it would be the Hamilton but not really much to choose between the two, best to try both and see what floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

They're closely priced, but I think the Longines BigEye is better value for the money, though I may be biased as I own one

I haven't held the Hamilton, but Improvements that Longines appears to have include: the colomn wheel chronograph movement, thicker box section sapphire (that more closely ressembles an acrylic glass), mixture of brushed and polished case finishing as opposed to all polished on the Hamilton.

Another subtle feature is that hands on the Longines aren't actually painted, but are a frosted metal when viewed under a loupe. It benefits from a close examination as whilst it appears that there's not a lot going on, there is really good attention to detail and quality that isn't apparent with the naked eye.

The only irritation I have with the BigEye, is that whilst there's no date window and no date corrector on the side of the case, they left the date mechanism in there and it clicks over once per day. Also, the lume on the dial is neatly printed but weak and this might put some people off.

I'd definitely take a look at both in person before choosing. The styling of the BigEye is quite divisive and not everyone is impressed by how it looks; there's no point buying a watch on quality and features alone.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AKM; 13th January 2020 at 17:10.

Master
    They are completely different watches, I own the Hamilton which I got at good price while on holiday. I do like the Longines but the Big Eye dial with the three minute hash marks put me off buying one, I prefer the Sinn 103.

My watch collection leans towards aviation so I went with the Big Eye. A lovely watch...

Last edited by Christian; 13th January 2020 at 19:44.

Different watches so difficult to say. Given the difference in styling, I'm going to throw another one out there. This recently introduced Longines https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/01/lon...46-review.html

They are quite different watches but I really like both. Some things to consider:

- Hamilton has a date, Longines doesn’t.
    - I would place Longines above Hamilton in terms of brand positioning in the Swatch group.
    - I think the Longines has a more desirable and better finished column-wheel movement (L688.2 based on the ETA A08.L01) compared to the Hamilton’s ETA7753 (someone with more knowledge might like to confirm that though).

Overall, I think the technically superior watch and better value for
    money is the Longines.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    My watch collection leans towards aviation so I went with the Big Eye. A lovely watch...
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.

the Longines of course!

Craftsman
    Thanks for everyone's input. Always good to see both offer good vfm in terms of quality as well as style.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Some good contributions to this thread, making excellent points.

I think the Big Eye wins for me.

The Hamilton is lovely, but the Longines just has ‘something’ about it.

I think the only thing stopping me buying a Big Eye is the three-minute counter arrangement - I know it’s like that for historical reasons, but I actually use my Chronographs (and Divers) to time things a lot, so that design choice might really irritate me over time. It’s just not very intuitive.

I like dial symmetry so the Big eye would normally lose this one but it would actually be my choice here as the Hamilton has no AR and the chrono pushers are too large for the case imho. The Hamilton is also quite toppy at RRP given it's position in the group hierachy and is unlikely to retain its value if this is a consideration.

Master
    Hamilton a little 'dressy', Longines tool/pilot watch. Out of the two it would have to be the Longines for me. Do like the Hamilton though for it's clean traditional chronograph look, & the way the minute hand slopes down to the railtrack. Nice touch.
    As an aside, if the Longines was 43mm I'd have two, one to wear & the other to keep mint in a cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Different watches so difficult to say. Given the difference in styling, I'm going to throw another one out there. This recently introduced Longines https://watchesbysjx.com/2020/01/lon...46-review.html

That new 1946 is a winner for me. Just waiting to find out when I can pop to the Oxford St boutique to try on and buy. Praying the lugs aren’t too long for me. Longines are a big fan of long lugs at the moment...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Longines is the better watch... and the Hamilton is a better balanced watch. You can go with either.

What are the actual dimensions of the Longines? Their website says 41mm, but I’ve read somewhere is more like 40mm. Same with the lug to lug - apparently it’s smaller than states on the website.

Master
    Blog Entries

I like the blue version (pic from the net)

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    What are the actual dimensions of the Longines? Their website says 41mm, but I’ve read somewhere is more like 40mm. Same with the lug to lug - apparently it’s smaller than states on the website.
    I’ve not got a micrometer, but using a tape measure and being as accurate as I can, I get 41mm across and 50mm lug-to-lug.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

I like the blue version (pic from the net)
    That’s a real beaut, I like the intro matic series I’ve got the plain black dial American classic one that is wafer thin and I’d consider that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’ve not got a micrometer, but using a tape measure and being as accurate as I can, I get 41mm across and 50mm lug-to-lug.
    Thank you very much. It’s just over 14mm thick (quite impressive for an auto chrono), right?
    How does it wear on your wrist? And what’s your wrist size?
    I think I like this watch a bit too much, and I consider 38mm the sweet spot. But I guess I’m ready to compromise if it wears nice.

Master
    I much prefer the Hamilton design and style if I was comparing movements the Longines with the column wheel would be my choice but I look at dial more than the movement so Hammy for me.

Thank you very much. It’s just over 14mm thick (quite impressive for an auto chrono), right?
    How does it wear on your wrist? And what’s your wrist size?
    I think I like this watch a bit too much, and I consider 38mm the sweet spot. But I guess I’m ready to compromise if it wears nice.
    It wears very comfortably...I’ve got very thin wrists and find it no problem.

Was reading about this one the other day, beautiful watch!

Unless absolutely necessary, it is better to stay away from modular chronos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Was reading about this one the other day, beautiful watch!
    Some have called it a bit boring, but it works in its restrained design IMO

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Unless absolutely necessary, it is better to stay away from modular chronos.
    Good spot - I had assumed a similar/same movement as the Big Eye since they're similarly priced. Not sure why they didn't actually.

Some have called it a bit boring, but it works in its restrained design IMO

Good spot - I had assumed a similar/same movement as the Big Eye since they're similarly priced. Not sure why they didn't actually.
    I suspect it's because they wanted to properly delete both the date complication and the 12-hour chrono register and it was more cost effective to outsource with a Dubois Dépraz module, than to modify the L688. It's all about economies of scale with Longines, they tend to use the same exact movement across dozens of models and describe themselves as being a 'factory' assembling watches rather than a manufacturer.

It might even be slightly slimmer in overall height than the L688 and won't have the rotor wobble, so it may appear more refined.

I've owned a couple of modular chronos. Whilst some can be poor from the beginning, I believe that the bad rep often stems from problems later on, specifically with watchmakers who are either unable or unwilling to service the module, yet still charge the going rate for servicing a 'chronograph watch'. You can just end up pouring money down the drain, as if they decide the module is working when it goes in for service, they'll just leave it alone and then it'll pack up later on, requiring another service.

Official service centres have been known to swap the modules out and exchange them with Dubois Dépraz for a reconditioned unit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I suspect it's because they wanted to properly delete both the date complication and the 12-hour chrono register and it was more cost effective to outsource with a Dubois Dépraz module, than to modify the L688. It's all about economies of scale with Longines, they tend to use the same exact movement across dozens of models and describe themselves as being a 'factory' assembling watches rather than a manufacturer.

It might even be slightly slimmer in overall height than the L688 and won't have the rotor wobble, so it may appear more refined.

I've owned a couple of modular chronos. Whilst some can be poor from the beginning, I believe that the bad rep often stems from problems later on, specifically with watchmakers who are either unable or unwilling to service the module, yet still charge the going rate for servicing a 'chronograph watch'. You can just end up pouring money down the drain, as if they decide the module is working when it goes in for service, they'll just leave it alone and then it'll pack up later on, requiring another service.

Official service centres have been known to swap the modules out and exchange them with Dubois Dépraz for a reconditioned unit.

I believe this is now standard procedure for most if you send back to the manufacturer for a service. We also cannot knock that they've been around for a very long time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    The BigEye has a rotor wobble?

Big Eye feels no different to my Speedmaster cal 9300...shake the watch and you can hear the rotor turn. It’s a bit louder than my Tudor/Rolexes but I don’t really see it as any issue. If that’s what’s meant by rotor wobble?
    Last edited by Christian; 16th January 2020 at 18:12.

Yep - but only in so far as it's no more refined than a base Valjoux 7750 with the rotor winding in one direction and spinning freely in the other, where there's a perceivable 'wobble' on the wrist.

Master
    I bought a Big Eye and loved the look and size of it but regrettably the rotor wobble led me to return it. I have read of this feature of the base movement but never experienced it before and have to say it ruined the watch for me. A quick flick of the wrist had the watch physically wobbling around with the whirring noise of the rotor. Some call it character... I loved everything else, apart from the easily swapped strap, so a shame really. If it were manual wind and a tad slimmer as a result it would make it much more appealing.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post
    I bought a Big Eye and loved the look and size of it but regrettably the rotor wobble led me to return it. I have read of this feature of the base movement but never experienced it before and have to say it ruined the watch for me. A quick flick of the wrist had the watch physically wobbling around with the whirring noise of the rotor. Some call it character... I loved everything else, apart from the easily swapped strap, so a shame really. If it were manual wind and a tad slimmer as a result it would make it much more appealing.

Ant
    Very strange...yes, the rotor is louder than my Rolex or Tudor but I don’t notice it at all...and certainly don’t feel wobble or the rotor turning.

Journeyman
    Hamilton all the way....but I wouldn't buy it at all

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    For me it would be the Hamilton but not really much to choose between the two, best to try both and see what floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I agree with this guy.