closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Damaged my new watch

Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Now I know there are some people with OCD's and that they take care of their watches, but I'll give my view on this. Watches are just things, machined to make us feel nice and admire the craftsmanship, but for me, they are nothing without some character. Scratches, WABI, patina, call it what you will, just wear the damn thing and enjoy all those stories (dings).
    Personally, I wouldn’t want to remind myself about the time I slipped on decking or hit my hand on a granite work top. I can’t imagine damaging your watch is a positive memorable event. I can take care of my watch and remember the times I’m wearing it.

Taking extra care of your watch not to get a scratch is just like not banging your girlfriend because you're saving her for the next guy. Just bang it !
    Not taking care of your watch and banging it is more like beating up your girlfriend. Don’t do it!

Master
    Yep. Scratching your tool watch while emerging from the exit cracks on the north face of the Eiger is one thing. Being reminded of carelessly catching your dress watch on the way out of the front door as you hurried to get the 7.24 into Waterloo one damp morning in winter is another.

Given the quality of the finish on GSs, I’d send it back in to be refinished - looking at the damage would just piss me off each time.

Perhaps I’m being a bit of a snowflake though …

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Personally, I wouldn’t want to remind myself about the time I slipped on decking or hit my hand on a granite work top. I can’t imagine damaging your watch is a positive memorable event. I can take care of my watch and remember the times I’m wearing it.

Not taking care of your watch and banging it is more like beating up your girlfriend. Don’t do it!
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 16th January 2020 at 10:01.

For a 'proper job', it'd need to go back to Seiko in Japan for a refurb with 'zaratsu' polishing.

You'll be charged for a service and refinish (as they won't refinish without the service) , probably some shipping too - looking at previous threads on Watchuseek, it would probably be at least several hundred as the case refurbishment costs nearly as much as the service and that's not including the price of a new crystal on top of that.

Seiko UK can be contacted directly for a quote.

There might be the possibility of just getting the crystal replaced, but GS parts are hard to get and Seiko UK might have to put an order in for 'manufacturing' in Japan to supply them, they'd also insist that you send them your watch for them to do the job.

Unless the scratches are light, I'm not sure I'd trust the case work to anyone other than Seiko Japan.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk