closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged my new watch

Damaged my new watch

A few months ago I treated myself to a brand new GS Snowflake. Love it so much I’ve worn it nearly every day since, however last week I accidentally bashed it against the rough underside of the kitchen granite worktop. Now my brand new watch has several nasty looking scratches on the case, and even a scratch across the crystal.

Yes I know, first world problems and all that, but I’m annoyed with myself for damaging it. For some reason the scratches stand out like a sore thumb on the polished case, most of my previous / other watches are much more ‘tool’ and seem to suit the odd scratch, but I feel like I’ve really ruined the beautiful polishing on the GS.

Can’t do anything about it now, I’ll just be more careful next time I’m in the kitchen!

Journeyman

Seiko service center

Hi, I agree that no matter how we put it, scratching a new shiny watch leaves a nasty feeling no mater how bad we try to ignore it.
    In a case like yours this is more than just a scratch, it's an accident that, as you describe it" have affected the shiny finish of the watch in a very visible way.
    The only thing I would think of is to send it to a GS service center and ask them to assess the damage in see what they propose to get the watch back to it's original state. The sapphire crystal can be changed and the case should be polishable I guess.

Is it worth getting in touch with your local Seiko service centre, they should be able to sell you a new crystal and polish out the scratches. The alternative is wait a few years until it goes in for a service and have it sorted then.

Just the way it is.

Happens to all of us unless you leave them in a draw.

Better to use it than have an expensive watch doing nothing at all.

I think I’ll live with it for now, the crystal can wait until it goes in for a service, and the law of sod says that if I send it off now for a polish I’ll end up putting another scratch on it (though for the last week I’ve really been conscious of not letting it get close to anything that might scratch it).

If me, I'd sort at the next scheduled service - if you can live with it until then.

P.S. If only you'd bought a Rolex, they don't mark.

Sorry to hear about that... sounds like it’ll be back to Japan for that when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    For some reason the scratches stand out like a sore thumb on the polished case, most of my previous / other watches are much more ‘tool’ and seem to suit the odd scratch
    I sympathise, never nice.

It’s a cliche, but still true that perhaps having drawn ‘first blood’, you’ll be more free to just wear & enjoy it now.

You make a good point above - it’s one of the reasons I have fewer dress watches. It’s just my opinion, but something like a Grand Seiko - one of which I also own - relies upon that fine finishing & beauty for its point of being, so scratches tend to detract from them more, and hurt more too. A tool watch rolls more with the punches.

Blog Entries
    If the cost ends up being high maybe consider making a claim against insurance if it covers accidental damage ? Sorry you have ended up with a scratched watch - never a nice feeling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    P.S. If only you'd bought a Rolex, they don't mark.
    If it isn’t marked, you aren’t wearing it enough!!

I can sympathise, the Snowflake is a very pretty/delicate looking watch and won't wear it's scars very well.
    Last edited by petay993; 12th January 2020 at 10:17.

Craftsman

You are not alone

Happened to my mint 25 year old Datejust a few years ago.
    Caught it in a bank letter box that had teeth.
    I couldn’t bear to look at it with the heavy scratches. I had taken such good care of it all those years. So locked it away. Out of site.

Anyway, few years later, had a full Rolex service. Then sold it.

Had several new and used Rolex’s since then, but didn’t really wear any of them.
    Now i stick to more rugged, cheaper watches that can take the odd scratch or two.

May sound daft to some.
    But we can’t help the way we feel.

I am sorry to hear this, not a nice feeling, and I love GS.
    Thank you for not posting photos of it, I don’t know if I could take it.

Thank you for all your comments. At the moment I don’t feel like I’ve drawn ‘first blood’ and am free to wear it. I feel like I’ve damaged something delicate and don’t want to make it any worse, so now I take it off before doing anything remotely risky. I never used to be like that with any of my watches. In fact for the three years before I bought the GS I wore a SeaDweller daily and haven’t bashed it or put a mark on it.

I’d be less annoyed if I’d taken a risk and was doing some DIY or gardening work and knocked it against a wall. But to do it while doing something as mundane as unloading a dishwasher is rather frustrating!

I’ll get a price for repair at its first service and decide whether to get the case polished or just have the crystal changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I couldn't live with a damaged crystal particularly on a GS

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Why particularly on a GS?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    I couldn't live with a damaged crystal particularly on a GS

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Bit dramatic, "couldn't live"? Its a bummer to damage a pretty, expensive watch but it shouldnt have much of an effect on your life expectancy.

Craftsman
    I did the same with my BB GMT - slipped on the frosty decking and dragged it down the wall of the house as I fell.

It annoyed me and the bezel, case and glass were all damaged so just sent it away for a service. As it was an accident I will most likely claim on the house insurance. Some can live with the damage sure - but the scratch on the glass just really annoyed me, the rest I could have lived with but as it was new I figured might as well try and get it fixed.

Craftsman
    Funnily enough, just got the quote back from Tudor for the repair to mine....

£285 mandatory service (watch is 3 months old)
    £105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal
    £248.80 for the bezel.....

Ouch.

I’m super-OCD about any marks...I would have to get it serviced straight away as I molly coddle my watches. Every time I looked at it, I think I’d focus on the scratches. I guess you can do your best but you can’t foresee every accident...the completely random ones like slipping on decking or getting caught in a letter box are the annoying ones.

Craftsman
    One of the things I love about my hesalite speedy is that a couple of minutes with some polywatch and the crystal is good as gold.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danpd View Post
    One of the things I love about my hesalite speedy is that a couple of minutes with some polywatch and the crystal is good as gold.
    The impact with the wall would have gouged the hesalite like nobody's business! :(

Grand Master
    One if the problems with the internet is people believing comments like this, repeating them, and creating yet another factoid.

Having spent 20 minutes today refinishing an acrylic crystal properly, I’ll repeat yet again how to do it.......and believe me it takes more than polywatch!

Flat piece of hard rubber, water with a drop of detergent, various grades of wet and dry paper, metal polish, and FINALLY finish off with polywatch. Polywatch alone WILL NOT remove anything more than very fine scratches.

I used 2000 grit, 3000 grit, then 7000 grit wet and dry, with plenty of water, all using the trusty flat rubber block. Metal polish on a cloth, followed by polywatch. Result.....one unobtainable Omega acrylic crystal restored to as - new condition. Fitting a new generic crystal would probably have made more sense, but everyone loves originality thesedays and that tiny Omega symbol in the glass has value.

My advice to the OP on this thread is to get the crystal replaced and have the watch refinished, soak up the cost, and get back to enjoying the watch again.

For those who own watches with acrylic crystals, do yourselves a favour and learn how to refinish them properly, believe me it isn’t hard but it takes a bit more than polywatch!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    One if the problems with the internet is people believing comments like this, repeating them, and creating yet another factoid.

Having spent 20 minutes today refinishing an acrylic crystal properly, I’ll repeat yet again how to do it.......and believe me it takes more than polywatch!

Flat piece of hard rubber, water with a drop of detergent, various grades of wet and dry paper, metal polish, and FINALLY finish off with polywatch. Polywatch alone WILL NOT remove anything more than very fine scratches.

I used 2000 grit, 3000 grit, then 7000 grit wet and dry, with plenty of water, all using the trusty flat rubber block. Metal polish on a cloth, followed by polywatch. Result.....one unobtainable Omega acrylic crystal restored to as - new condition. Fitting a new generic crystal would probably have made more sense, but everyone loves originality thesedays and that tiny Omega symbol in the glass has value.

My advice to the OP on this thread is to get the crystal replaced and have the watch refinished, soak up the cost, and get back to enjoying the watch again.

For those who own watches with acrylic crystals, do yourselves a favour and learn how to refinish them properly, believe me it isn’t hard but it takes a bit more than polywatch!
    So, if my Hesalite crystal had fine scratches and I used polywatch to remove them it didn’t work in your opinion?

Maybe if the internet wasn’t full of pedantic old farts like yourself we’d all be much happier.

Grand Master
    So, if my Hesalite crystal had fine scratches and I used polywatch to remove them it didn’t work in your opinion?

Maybe if the internet wasn’t full of pedantic old farts like yourself we’d all be much happier.
    Look, I refinish them frequently, and I know what can and can’t be achieved with polywatch! Have a look at your work using a strong magnifier and see whether that scratch has really gone.

For anything more than fine scratches, polywatch is useless, like trying to bore through a mountain with a bloody carrot. Instead of reacting like a kid why don’t you try to learn from what I’ve posted, then next time you scratch your crystal you’ll be able to fix it properly?

I don’t make it up, I’m mostly self- taught, I’ve learned what works and what doesn’t. You’re claiming that polywatch will fix significant damage to an acrylic crystal, I disagree and I’ve explained why.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    The impact with the wall would have gouged the hesalite like nobody's business! :(
    Acrylic crystals are thick, deep gouges can often be refinished .....but it takes a bit more than polywatch!

If a sapphire crystal gets scratched it’s v. difficult to fix the scratch, if a new crystals available thats the best option.

I use a Walkerwek to remove the scratches on my Speedmaster crystal. It works very well, but sometimes results in a small hangover the day after collecting the watch.

Master

£105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal

Ouch.
    Does the £787.40 include VAT?

£105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal

Ouch.
    Watchworks might do that without the service. They are accredited and usually more well thought of than RSC.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Does the £787.40 include VAT?
    Yup, all with VAT included. I'll most likely just do the crystal, the rest I can live with until a 'proper' service is needed in 5 years time. Just annoying they insist on the service at all tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Watchworks might do that without the service. They are accredited and usually more well thought of than RSC.
    Oh, thanks for the tip - I will go and check them out! Wasn't sure how it might affect the Tudor warranty if I went elsewhere?

Oh, thanks for the tip - I will go and check them out! Wasn't sure how it might affect the Tudor warranty if I went elsewhere?
    It would if you went to a man down the street but a Rolex accredited watchmaker is fine. Watchworks are accredited by the brand so no issue here.

Grand Master
    That quote on the Tudor is taking the piss, insisting on servicing the watch is senseless unless there's a risk of glass fragments having entered the movement. OK, its had an impact to cause damage to the glass, but that’s not to say the movement’s been affected. If it looks OK on the timegrapher and there's no obvious damage it is OK and doesn’t need further work. Sheer bloody Swiss arrogance at its best in my opinion, I worked over there briefly in my non- watch related past life and I know what they can be like.

As for the warranty situation if an accredited indy works on it, I’m not sure, but I think I’d forsake the remaining warranty if it made for a cheaper repair......provided the watch is running well, and the trusty timegrapher can establish that. Also worth getting the auto- winding checked, but that’s not hard.

Speaking as one who’s fixed the odd watch or two, if the watch is worked on VERY carefully no- one will know it’s had work, so the warranty would be OK.

Warranty isn't touched if worked on by watchworks. It's the same as Rolex working on it. If unsure call and ask.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Warranty isn't touched if worked on by watchworks. It's the same as Rolex working on it. If unsure call and ask.
    OK, it makes sense.

Glad to hear the mountain + carrot analogy again, I haven’t read that for at least 24hrs ;)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Glad to hear the mountain + carrot analogy again, I haven’t read that for at least 24hrs ;)
    But it’s true......same applies to these folks using Cape Cod cloths to remove marks/ scratches from watches, God loves a trier. These products gave their uses but their virtues are overstated.

Craftsman
    Wow, wasn't expecting an aluminium bezel to be that expensive!!

£105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal

Ouch.

Takes more than that usually mate

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

But it’s true......same applies to these folks using Cape Cod cloths to remove marks/ scratches from watches, God loves a trier. These products gave their uses but their virtues are overstated.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5PWRm7gY58/

Grand Master
    But who do you believe?........me, or some instagram character?

My reputation’s pretty well established, I don’t bullshit and I don’t make stuff up. Anything more than a fine hairline scratch requires a more robust approach than fine metal polish ( Cape Cod) on a cloth. My trusty rubber block, or wooden block, with fine wet and dry paper, is the way to do it initially, followed by metal polish and ( ideally ) a visit to the polishing wheel to get the final mirror finish. I’ve explained how to do this, with reference to the levelling principle, many times.

I don’t need to brag about the results I achieve, I’ve produced enough good work to speak for itself, and I don’t care if I don’t do any more refinishing, truth is I dislike the work. Having just refinished a 60s Constellation for myself, and a 50s Seamaster for a customer, I’m not in a rush to refinish anything for a while, doing it by hand gets great results but it’s bloody tedious, that’s why much if the work is done on polishing wheels and the results have earned a poor reputation. I’m sick of reading armchair experts describing watches as ‘ overpolished’, most of the don’t know what they’re talking about, and I’m sick of refinishing work not being given the credit it deserves.

Willy, my advice to you us to stick your Cape Cod where the sun doesn’t shine.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 15th January 2020 at 01:11.

I'm not doubting your skill or ability I'm just pointing out what can be achieved after you the down your massive opinion.

The guy in that link has done a great job. Would you agree or does your pride not let you?

Craftsman
    That quote on the Tudor is taking the piss, insisting on servicing the watch is senseless unless there's a risk of glass fragments having entered the movement. OK, its had an impact to cause damage to the glass, but that’s not to say the movement’s been affected. If it looks OK on the timegrapher and there's no obvious damage it is OK and doesn’t need further work. Sheer bloody Swiss arrogance at its best in my opinion, I worked over there briefly in my non- watch related past life and I know what they can be like.

As for the warranty situation if an accredited indy works on it, I’m not sure, but I think I’d forsake the remaining warranty if it made for a cheaper repair......provided the watch is running well, and the trusty timegrapher can establish that. Also worth getting the auto- winding checked, but that’s not hard.

Speaking as one who’s fixed the odd watch or two, if the watch is worked on VERY carefully no- one will know it’s had work, so the warranty would be OK.
    Thanks for the feedback, I got into a bit of an....'exchange' regarding the need for a service with the AD.... I've phoned my house insurance co. and they are going to cover the cost of the repair. I know premiums may go up a little but I doubt they'd go up to the tune of £750! As my wife said last night, whats the point of having insurance if I'm not going to use it.

I'll just get it fixed and chalk it up to one of those things and move on!

Surely you can claim for the repair on your home insurance? Will cost around £680 and send to Japan don't let Seiko UK do it as whilst they now can sort GS in the UK they do a crap job in my experience compared to Japan.

Edited to add I just saw the post above - sensible move

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

£105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal

Ouch.
    Interesting to read that your Tudor had to have a "mandatory Service" when the watch was only 3 months old.

I had to contact Rolex, regarding having a dial, hands, day/date change and they stated that if the watch was 3 months or less old than a service was not required.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Interesting to read that your Tudor had to have a "mandatory Service" when the watch was only 3 months old.

I had to contact Rolex, regarding having a dial, hands, day/date change and they stated that if the watch was 3 months or less old than a service was not required.
    I assume as it had a 'knock' they want to ensure the movement was not damaged, the rest of the damage in their eyes is cosmetic and is not required to have the watch working to manufacturer specifications.

At least, thats my guess!

£105 for the case refurb
    £148.60 for the crystal

Ouch.
    3months old and mandatory service due?

Grand Master
    This ‘mandatory service’ thing is crazy, how on earth they can justify it is beyond me. If a watch has had a trauma it can be checked easily to determine whether damage to the movement has occurred, the timegrapher is a big help and will show if the watch is running correctly. Visual inspection will confirm this, the auto- winding’s easy to check, if the keyless work and date change feels OK it’ll be fine, so why not treat each case on its merits? Typical Swiss attitude, follow procedures, tick boxes, nothing’s negotiable. It’s so daft, I even question whether they really do fully strip and service the watch or whether they carry out the checks I’ve suggested and make a judgement, customer doesn’t know any different unless he knows what questions to ask.

As for claiming on house insurance, I would be careful, I take the view that insurance is for major catastrophes and I don’t claim for minor stuff. The increase in subsequent premiums could soon wipe out any advantage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    A few months ago I treated myself to a brand new GS Snowflake. Love it so much I’ve worn it nearly every day since, however last week I accidentally bashed it against the rough underside of the kitchen granite worktop. Now my brand new watch has several nasty looking scratches on the case, and even a scratch across the crystal.

Yes I know, first world problems and all that, but I’m annoyed with myself for damaging it. For some reason the scratches stand out like a sore thumb on the polished case, most of my previous / other watches are much more ‘tool’ and seem to suit the odd scratch, but I feel like I’ve really ruined the beautiful polishing on the GS.

Can’t do anything about it now, I’ll just be more careful next time I’m in the kitchen!
    Feeling your pain on this, I did the exact same thing, nearly spewed up at the damage. Had it re polished, granite takes no prisoners.

Worst bit about doing this in public is trying to properly assess the damage without looking obsessed about your watch. You have a glance but then resign yourself to waiting until you get home to have a proper look whilst constantly thinking about it.

That's crass and insulting, you should be ashamed of posting it.
    F.T.F.A.

Now I know there are some people with OCD's and that they take care of their watches, but I'll give my view on this. Watches are just things, machined to make us feel nice and admire the craftsmanship, but for me, they are nothing without some character. Scratches, WABI, patina, call it what you will, just wear the damn thing and enjoy all those stories (dings).
    Taking extra care of your watch not to get a scratch is just like not banging your girlfriend because you're saving her for the next guy. Just bang it !