closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sea Dweller 50th Anniversary.

Journeyman

Rolex Sea Dweller 50th Anniversary.

My personal story with Rolex started back in year 2000 at an AD in Paris-Charles De Gaulle airport. I was there for a luxury watch, this time I wanted to make an upgrade from TAG and so I was looking at Cartier Pasha and a Rolex Sub “I have no idea which reference the Sub was back then” I remember that both watches had similar price tags, the pasha was all white with a blue stone on the crown, I found it more appealing and attractive than to Sub while the salesman had an opposite opinion but I bought the Cartier, enjoyed it for many years, then I got married and I passed it to my wife:-)
    Fast forward 2018, it was time to leave my smart watch exclusively for when I’m exercising/sleeping and get back to the magical world of mechanical watches. This time however, it has to be a Rolex, since the only watches out there that I really liked were made by Rolex. It’s not the brand but for the history behind it and the design that drives me toward it this time same as the Cartier did before.
    So I went to the only Rolex AD available in my country, a Rolex Boutique that in 2016 I had a bunch of Diamond Rolex watches brought in from for a high-end photoshoot. The GM of the Boutique and 2 bodyguards were present and when I was done with the shoot the GM gave me his business card and asked me to visit him at the Boutique whenever I’m in the area.
    I had no idea how hard sports models are to get, I just went there, asked to try the models I've liked and learned about from Rolex.com, forums and YouTube. The salesgirl, who later became a friend, showed me those models, I tried them all "Sub date, GMT batman, DJ 41 and the Sd43" then she told me that those watches are for display purpose, not for sale at that moment and that there's a waiting time involved in acquiring any of them except for the DJ 41 blue dial on sticks which was available. I told her about the photoshoot I had done for the brand back in 2016 and I asked for the GM but unfortunately he was abroad. She said she'll contact him and get back to me. The day after I got an email from her telling me she talked to the GM, he approved 12% on the DJ41 and a relatively fast delivery on the BLNR or subs if I wanted one. Since that day, the door of heaven opened for me.
    During the next 6 months I had calls from the boutique to ask if I’m interested in 3 hot models; BLNR, BLRO and a Sub date. I had already bought the Tudor GMT and so I skipped on the Rolex GMT range but instead I told her that it’s the SD43 that I want to be my forever Rolex.
    A month or so later, I got the call, my SD43 is IN and ready for pickup.

Today, after 2 months on my wrist, I can confidently say I'm amazed.
    There's nothing I don't like about this watch, but I can write pages about what I like. The main reason I picked this watch over the sub is size. At 43mm it beautifully fill my 7.5*» wrist. Lots of presence and punch.
    Let's start from the top side, the Bezel. I love its liquid / wet anthracite appearance that shines and sparkles same way the sapphire crystal does, together they look like if they were made of one single material.
    The Cyclops, it's like a jewel that it does not get in the way at all but whenever you look at the watch under a certain low angle the cyclops looks like a diamond or a water drop on top of that crystal. The magnifying power is so handy and I really can’t understand how or why some criticize Rolex for adding it. If it was not there on those deepsea models that was because Rolex was not technically able of doing it kit because it was a design language. The design language won’t exclude the cyclops in Rolex word, It’s in their DNA.
    Dive a bit more, we get to the Dial. It's matte black but under sunlight it becomes lighter, a dark gray, it complement the silvery look of the steel case and bracelet. The Visibility is indisputable, the blue chromalight is mesmerizing and that red lettering is a small line that makes all the difference.
    The Sea Dweller 126600 is a deep sea diver, so let's dive deeper, right into the Movement. After one week, the watch is almost as accurate as my Apple watch. I'm not a technical guy and my brain gets dazzled by the mere thinking of how these moments can track time so accurately, so I better leave that abyss and resurface, this time at the opposite side of the watch, the Back-Case. I've always wondered why Rolex leave the backcase of most of its models blank, The first time I looked at the back of one of these blank cases I thought it was a fake! Thankfully, with the Sea Dweller, Rolex decided to make it special again by adding a circular line of text on it. This Case back sinks into the wrist making the watch wears much lower, looks slimmer and more comfortable than a normal 14, 15 mm case height. I had it under sweaters, shirts and cuffling, it just goes with anything so so well.
    Moving down north or south of that sexy case we get into the macho aspect of the watch, The 22mm Bracelet. The wide lugs / wide bracelet mix give the watch a great balance, feel, stance and comfort. One of the reason I prefer Rolex over the majority of watch brands is actually its bracelet design. I think that nothing out there beats the oyster or the jubilee design. I was afraid the brushed steel on the Sea Dweller and probably all Rolex divers could feel a bit dull or opaque compared to the polished center links counterpart but I was surprised that the matte shines in a very particular way.
    To the oyster-lock now, what can I say about it, pure genius. The diving extension was taken upon delivery, I was still left with the amazing 20mm glide-lock. Together with the boutique's watchmaker we resized the watch in a way that the glide-lock now sits halfway the adjustable zone. My wrist can get fatter or slimmer as it wishes now, who cares, the glide-lock will get me covered.
    Sorry for the long read.
    Thanks for reading :-)
    L1170006.jpg
    Last edited by Rori; 11th January 2020 at 14:58.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    A very interesting read. You truly could sell fridges to Eskimos !
    I agree that the Rolex is an inspired design and often copied without any acknowledgement. The movements are true workhorses and very accurate. The very highest quality of all components has made them an exceptional investment for many years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    hahaha, selling fridges to eskimos :-)
    Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    A very interesting read. You truly could sell fridges to Eskimos !
    I agree that the Rolex is an inspired design and often copied without any acknowledgement. The movements are true workhorses and very accurate. The very highest quality of all components has made them an exceptional investment for many years.

Apprentice
    New lurker on the forum , great start to here the story of someone’s adventure of acquiring their watch, love the spin and the chase , determination to get the watch they want , great choice .

Journeyman
    Thanks for Reading. We should learn everyday how to enjoy the ride not only the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecatlinux View Post
    New lurker on the forum , great start to here the story of someone’s adventure of acquiring their watch, love the spin and the chase , determination to get the watch they want , great choice .

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rori View Post
    Thanks for Reading. We should learn everyday how to enjoy the ride not only the destination.
    I like that comment !

Craftsman

O God

After reading that. I think I want a Sea Dweller.

Better sell a motorbike.

Journeyman
    It was not on my radar nor I had even consider it until I tried it on. I just couldn't order anything but it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    After reading that. I think I want a Sea Dweller.

Better sell a motorbike.

Master
    I just picked up my second - the first lasted a few months, but this one is growing on me more. The size and shape is actually perfect.

Journeyman
    Seeing pictures of this watch is one thing but seeing it in the metal is something else. The way light plays with the bezel, sapphire glass, and steel, the proportions that are so similar to the old references "pre super case" makes this diver so irresistible not to own.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I just picked up my second - the first lasted a few months, but this one is growing on me more. The size and shape is actually perfect.

That was a nice read for me thanks for sharing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rori View Post
    Seeing pictures of this watch is one thing but seeing it in the metal is something else. The way light plays with the bezel, sapphire glass, and steel, the proportions that are so similar to the old references "pre super case" makes this diver so irresistible not to own.
    I agree with you Rori. This is the first 6 digit Rolex I have been attracted to and I would like to own someday because of the more classic proportions. However, there have been quite a few members that have owned them only to sell on soon after. I am not sure why, guess I need to see one in person.

Journeyman

Thank you

Glad you enjoyed my humble review.
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    That was a nice read for me thanks for sharing!!

Journeyman
    Of course, that's why I never judge watches by pictures. I've been so in love with GMTs from Rolex but when I tried them on I found them a bit small on my wrist. Some have 8" wrist and wear 36mm watches or 39, those can't handle the SD43 size. So, the best way is to try one on. I personally was shocked how small it wears compared to how it looks in pictures. It was like the opposite of what how the GMT looked in pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I agree with you Rori. This is the first 6 digit Rolex I have been attracted to and I would like to own someday because of the more classic proportions. However, there have been quite a few members that have owned them only to sell on soon after. I am not sure why, guess I need to see one in person.

Apprentice
    Fantastic watch, Great review, Many thanks.

Journeyman
    Glad to know you enjoyed it JJM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjm3uk View Post
    Fantastic watch, Great review, Many thanks.

Master
    Just didn't like mine and was most disappointing purchase in a while.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=mjc1216

Thanks, yes it was your thread I was thinking of and your concerns are valid. My wrist is slightly larger but your other negatives are enough to reinforce that I need to try before I buy. Six digit Rolexes have never appealed until the SD43 came along and since I have never tried any of them on I think a blind purchase maybe foolhardy.

Journeyman
    Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just didn't like mine and was most disappointing purchase in a while.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=mjc1216

Journeyman
    Don't you ever trust pictures. Seeing the watch and wearing it on the wrist is completely different.
    Try to try one on and decide.
    even the bezel looks off proportions in pictures.

Thanks, yes it was your thread I was thinking of and your concerns are valid. My wrist is slightly larger but your other negatives are enough to reinforce that I need to try before I buy. Six digit Rolexes have never appealed until the SD43 came along and since I have never tried any of them on I think a blind purchase maybe foolhardy.

Journeyman
    I'm a bit late to this but interesting report, thank you.

My first Rolex is a 16600, bought a few months back. Although 43mm is way too big for me, your description of the ceramic bezel is making me think I should have gone for the 116600.