closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Private Number Plates

Journeyman

Private Number Plates

I'm looking to pick up a few number plates - has anyone had any success of negotiating any discount on something like this?
    Nothing super expensive, generally sub-1k but there's 3 that I would be after at the same time.

Maybe try Pistonheads forum. Probably more people over there who could give advice?

I assume you’ve found the DVLA’s own registrations website? No place sells new registrations cheaper than them. (Unless they’re really duff ones that no one wants)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've bought one from elite registrations and knocked them down on the price.
    Someone on here knows a guy that owns a firm. They were much cheaper than elsewhere when I loooked but the name escapes me.

Edit:
    Remembered!
    https://www.primoregistrations.co.uk

Don't forget to have a look at the DVLA site for ones that have not been used yet, and be a little creative with your searches.
    I managed to get T7UMH for my Triumph from the DVLA for their minimum price of £250.
    It isn't an exact match, but it's good enough for the money.
    D

The plates listed by dealers are 99% commission sales and are at 3x what the owner will get if sold, so plenty space to make a very cheeky offer.

Note that several dealers will often be listing the same plates so try hitting a few and see if anyone bites.

The best value IMO are ‘?1 ???’ straight from DVLA at £499 or £999 all-in e.g. ‘X1 RLX’ or suchlike.

I’ve bought nice plates- car specific ones from Dvla for £299 all in
    Also bought my current 3 letter-3digit plate off eBay for £450- it was originally up at 950!
    So yes, cheap or negotiable in my experience

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    The plates listed by dealers are 99% commission sales and are at 3x what the owner will get if sold, so plenty space to make a very cheeky offer.

Note that several dealers will often be listing the same plates so try hitting a few and see if anyone bites.

The best value IMO are ‘?1 ???’ straight from DVLA at £499 or £999 all-in e.g. ‘X1 RLX’ or suchlike.
    But I don’t drive an X1???

:-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post

Dead right, I bought mine on DVLA auction all in £725 PJI46

Just look on the DVLA site to see the dates of upcoming auctions Register to bid, you can then leave your top bid for a particular plate. Job done
    Last edited by hilly10; 11th January 2020 at 14:08.

Journeyman
    I had been using the DVLA website generally but I've just found 2 really good ones at half the price I was looking at. Cheers for pointing that out, I'd actually just thought the auctions were for new plates but one is 80s and another dateless so will work for the project car!

Private Number Plates

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I've bought one from elite registrations and knocked them down on the price.
    Someone on here knows a guy that owns a firm. They were much cheaper than elsewhere when I loooked but the name escapes me.

Edit:
    Remembered!
    https://www.primoregistrations.co.uk
    I’ve been toying with getting one for a couple of months now and had one sorted on another site, but your link turned up the same inexpensive (hey, I’m a Scotsman!) plate up for about £50 quid less!

Thanks for that, Dave!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 11th January 2020 at 16:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Dead right, I bought mine on DVLA auction all in £725 PJI46

Just look on the DVLA site to see the dates of upcoming auctions Register to bid, you can then leave your top bid for a particular plate. Job done
    PJI 46?

Master
    I saw my present plate on a well known (expensive) seller, googled the number and found for sale elsewhere at a super saving.

Craftsman
    Some online companies allow you to submit an offer. Also, some of their registrations are being advertised for clients so it might be worth enquiring to see if the seller will accept a lower offer than that advertised.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What are you after??

Have got W5DTT or J20VAM
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I'm looking to pick up a few number plates - has anyone had any success of negotiating any discount on something like this?
    Nothing super expensive, generally sub-1k but there's 3 that I would be after at the same time.
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 11th January 2020 at 23:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    PJI 46?
    Yes but the I always looks like l so. PJ l 46 what’s not to like for little money

Journeyman
    Y3PST. £550.00. DVLA.
    Bargain.

Weird timing - I’m about to buy one for the bike. Not bothered about the car in the slightest