closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Neil Peart - Gone

Neil Peart - Gone

A musician who has filled the past 42 years of my life with rock has died of a brain tumour aged 67.

An outstanding drummer, lyricists and all-round decent guy.

Fire up Spotify and enjoy 45 years of Neil, with Rush and his own jazz band.
    Last edited by W124; 10th January 2020 at 23:21.

Master
    No!

I’ve seen Rush in concert a few times and Neil never disappointed with his drum work.

A sad loss.

RIP.

A huge inspiration for me. The world is a lesser place.

Master
    RIP. Glad I was able to see them live at the O2 a few years back as a revisit to my youthful listening.

I grew up listening to 'Working Man' and 'Xanadu' and even learnt the bass to 'The Trees' at one point.
    Neil was an exceptional musician and lyricist, gone all too soon. RIP.

I feel old ....

Still listen to Rush, particularly on the iPod when working in the garden. RIP Neil.

My favourite band and drummer - an icon for sure. Been a fan since 1980. Loved all those fancy fills and mixture of speed and precision. The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, 2112, Xanadu - all brilliant.

Holy shit that's terrible news.

Master
    Great band grew up with them RIP Neil one of the greatest drummers of all time!

Best band ever. Best drummer ever.

Really sad, sad news.

This was their last song from their last studio album. Very appropriate here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAxtFSpHxts

RIP the legend.

Great article of Neil Peart from LA Times.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-Ka0T3O9og3Hf8

A very sad day. A real shock.

Saw him many times over the years and he was never less than excellent.

Of all the things I love about Rush, the obvious real friendship between Neil, Geddy and Alex was a joy.

Neil went though several hardships in his life and has been taken far too soon. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Another one of the good guys gone.

Mark

(Don't mind admitting I am emotional writing this)

Master
    Well - at the moment I'm not upset, not devastated. Sad for Neil's family, sad for Neil that he had to cope with this this last few years. We've known for a long time that they wouldn't tour or record again and I was happy enough with that, and yet this feels like the moment it all comes to an end, perhaps because there's a finality and certainty that the actual end of Rush, revealed gradually from rumours and interpretations, didn't have.

One day in January 1977 my friend's mum showed me into his bedroom. He was playing a new copy of All The World's A Stage on his 'record player'. It's not an exaggeration to say that that was a life-changing moment, though I didn't realise it at the time. I saw them about 25 times in all, starting with the first British tour in 1977, and ending with the last one in 2013.

And now, 43 years later, that's a final lid on it.

Shortly I'll be taking my new winter bike for its first ride. I shall call it Neil, and today I will attempt 67 miles in memory of a remarkable man.

RIp. Legendary man, legendary band.

Had a huge influence on me and my musical tastes all those decades ago. As a teenager full of angst and rage, I still remember the first time I heard them.

2112 is still a special occasion.

I lost touch with them in recent years, so it time to rediscover.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Probably the beat rock drummer of our time, his technical and musical abilities behind the kit were astonishing. The drummer’s drummer who will be greatly missed by all drummers. Rest in peace.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sad news, also after previous gossip that Portnoy will replace Neil in Rush for some tour.

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    Sad news, also after previous gossip that Portnoy will replace Neil in Rush for some tour.

It won't be Rush!!!

As other have said 2112 changed my life as a teenager. It lead me to a lifelong love of music, literally 100's of concerts and a large collection of vinyl, CDs and DVDs. Rush, and particularly that album have always been number 1.

I was given the book 'Wandering the Face of the Earth', a history of their tours, at Christmas. I have been reading it and cross referencing gigs I attended with old ticket stubs, much to the amusement of the family who think I am very sad!

At the last concert I attended, on the Clockwork Angels tour, I think most of us knew it was the last time we would see them, very poignant. Sadly the R40 tour didn't come to the UK but it is well worth watching on DVD.

I shall put on some vinyl and raise a glass to him tonight. He shall be missed.

Mark

Heartbroken.

My all time favourite band & Neil was by some margin the best rock drummer I've ever heard, not to mention a brilliant lyricist.

I've tried to listen to Rush this morning, but just I can't.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Sad news. A one man percussion section. He really pushed the boundaries and "made music". Certainly one of the greats.

Shocked, the best rock-drummer of all time IMO, RIP.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Unbelievable talent. Rest in peace.

https://youtu.be/LWRMOJQDiLU

I was awake and listened to Rush all night until 7'o'clock in the morning.

I was surprised how much this affected me. Being a bit younger than the older Rush fans I only discovered them in 1995 when my brother gave me "A Show of Hands"-live album.

It was difficult music and at first I couldn't get into it. But when I eventually did, no other rock music has ever affected me so strongly.

I guess when Peart died yesterday, part of my youth died too. Their music is very important to me.

Master
    I was (and still am) a massive Genesis/ PC fan, a mate of mine was a massive Rush fan, and I hadn't really heard mush Rush apart from the odd radio play, so we swapped some albums. 'Roll the bones' was the first album I listened to in the early 90s, wow such a refreshing approach to rock, mega drumming and all that sound from 3 guys.
    From then on I was hooked on NP, his inclusion of tuned percussion and that immense turning drum kit where all so 'cool'. NP was heavily influenced by PC and you can hear it in the early Rush works, but NP took it to another dimension, he innovated and developed kit playing (in the rock genre) to another level.

Loved your work and ethos Neil, RIP

'Roll the bones' is now playing very loudly!

Very sad news indeed. Yet another of my musical heroes taken way too soon.

For any Netflix subscribers Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage is an excellent film.

RIP Neil.

Gary

Very sad, I love my rock and never really got into the prog side of things although as I get older I appreciate it much more and have really started to a like Rush.

Such a shame another great icon gone, think he was known as the human metronome!

Oh my gosh not the professor gone! Next to Bonzo the best drummer I ever saw. Brilliant lyriclist as well, his book Ghost Rider is one of the best books I’ve ever read. RIP NP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very sad news, another legend gone - RIP Neil

Very sad news. I've been playing my own drums all day, playing along to Tom Sawyer and watching Neil's solos. One of my heroes from my childhood growing up playing drums, Neil was an inspiration.
    We didn't have YouTube or access to videos of his solos growing up so it was amazing to watch them later in life and explained some head scratching parts. He truly was the Professor.

Master
    A drummer who didn't conform to the stereotype and who was in a band that actually were a band and who learnt their trade and in doing so inspired others to play in bands. No rehab or backstage antics, he rode a bicycle between gigs in 80s/90s and later a motorbike. Saw them on their first UK tour and caught a drumstick. Saw them a few times over the years. No such thing as a bad gig. They were on top of their game every night

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Heartbroken.

My all time favourite band & Neil was by some margin the best rock drummer I've ever heard, not to mention a brilliant lyricist.

I've tried to listen to Rush this morning, but just I can't.
    Give it time Andy, it took me a year before I could listen to Dave Brubeck after he died, and he was well in to his nineties when he went, hardly unexpected.

Like many others here I'm gutted by Neil's (premature) death. I'm mainly drawn to melody and he was one of the few drummers who I really noticed in the music. He was also a good writer and top man. His recovery from the tragic events earlier in his life are an inspiration to me. I look forward to introducing my children to Rush's music and they will both be getting a copy of "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road" when they are older.

Enjoy the next ride Neil.

Really sad news I started listening to Rush when I was 14 and they got me thought my teenage years and
    I still listen to them now great music and amazing lyrics

I was lucky enough to meet Geddy Lee last year and to of seen the band play 5 times

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Really sad news I started listening to Rush when I was 14 and they got me thought my teenage years and
    I still listen to them now great music and amazing lyrics

I was lucky enough to meet Geddy Lee last year and to of seen the band play 5 times

Amazing. Geddy feels such an easy going person. Absolutely no ego at all.

They are one of a kind rock band. Big respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Give it time Andy
    Cheers.

I’m actually rewatching Beyond the Lighted Stage now.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Metallica share cover of Rush’s ‘Tom Sawyer’ in honour of Neil Peart

https://www.nme.com/news/music/metal...-peart-2595619

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I saw them about 25 times in all, starting with the first British tour in 1977, and ending with the last one in 2013.
    Yea I saw them first, doing 2112 at Hammersmith Odeon, Christ they were loud. Been to see them a few times since. I sat over the top of Neil at Wembley a few years ago, simply amazing. Such a great loss to music. One hero I would really like to have met.

Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    A musician who has filled the past 42 years of my life with rock has died of a brain tumour aged 67.

An outstanding drummer, lyricists and all-round decent guy.

Fire up Spotify and enjoy 45 years of Neil, with Rush and his own jazz band.
    Terrible news. Saw them many times in the 70's and early 80's. Every time a masterclass in musicianship.
    Nothing like them before or since except in some respects Muse.
    Wonderful times, wonderful music.

Regards
    Tim

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Thanks for that, interesting. I've never been sure whether The Trees is pro or anti union.

I'll bet there are drummers in bands all over the world cursing the death of Neil and having to do a tribute. :-D