closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on stacking a washing machine and dryer

Blog Entries

Advice on stacking a washing machine and dryer

As per the thread title, I was hoping to get some advice on stacking a washing machine and tumble dryer.....

I have a cloakroom which has an alcove (approx 900mm wide by 700mm deep and full height), which I'm hoping to utilise for my washing machine with dryer stacked on top. Both appliances are standard size (600mm x 600mm approx). The alcove already has water & power supply, plus waste nearby, so all good in that respect.

My main question is, should I use a stacking kit such as this https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

..or should I just build a dedicated shelf (probably from a worktop offcut or similar) for the dryer, so it stands independently of the washing machine?

Any advice on pros and cons gratefully received. Thanks.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Personally I would build a shelf, supported independently with posts from the floor and braced.

B

I did the same and built a shelf. I was replacing my kitchen at the time so used some of the old worktop.

Your thread is timely, vagabond.

I am in a similar position.

I was going to buy a washer dryer and a fridge and stick them in the utility room but hadn't thought of stacking them.

Our dryer is on a shelf above the washer, the shelf being made from some old worktop.

Definitely on a shelf, with enough room between the two to slide the bottom one out easily and to improve air flow.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

For my devices (Electrolux) was dedicated set to stack - in my opinion more solid than universal ones.
    So I stacked them using this set - as far as I remember, it's screwed together somehow, with some independent movement possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Your thread is timely, vagabond.

I am in a similar position.

I was going to buy a washer dryer and a fridge and stick them in the utility room but hadn't thought of stacking them.
    I understand the space saving side of it but I wouldn’t do it. I think you should try and keep functions together, so stack the dryer on top of the washing machine and stack fridge and freezer, again on separate shelves.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I had a Meile washing machine with a Meile dryer stacked on it for over ten years. No issues.
    Just ensure the waching machine is level and also the dryer. The case of the washing machine can easilt take the weight.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking that a dedicated shelf might be a better option, especially since the appliances are different makes and ages. So when the time comes to chop and change, it will also be easier.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I understand the space saving side of it but I wouldn’t do it. I think you should try and keep functions together, so stack the dryer on top of the washing machine and stack fridge and freezer, again on separate shelves.
    Makes sense, SJ.

Master
    I have a John Lewis dryer stacked on Samsung Washing machine using one of those (or similar) kits. It is basically a shelf unit that sits on the washing machine purpose made for std 60x60 units and then a ratcheted binding strap that couples both units together. It is very stable and obviously the heavy washing machine unit is at the base.
    Works a treat for me !!

My tumble drier is just sat on top of my washing machine (in the garage). The top of the washing machine is 10mm board, & is quite sturdy. No need for a shelf.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    I had a Meile washing machine with a Meile dryer stacked on it for over ten years. No issues.
    Just ensure the waching machine is level and also the dryer. The case of the washing machine can easilt take the weight.
    Ditto this, Mieles with bespoke stacking kit and it's perfect.

I bought one of those stacking kits and it works a treat. It has a belt that goes right round both appliances and there is a pull out shelf in the middle for when unloading the tumble dryer and folding clothes. Had it a few years now and wouldn't be without it and certainly would never consider making my own set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    not Miele, or even the same brands, but I have a dryer sitting directly on top of my washing machine - has been like this for the last 12-14 years with no issues to date - I’ve replaced both once in that time though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the (further) responses. So seems like both options are OK, long term.

Will speak to 'er indoors and make a decision based on feedback. Most likely expect a post in the "Dear wife" thread soon....

I’d go with a shelf, made out of offcut of kitchen worktop, if only for the ease with which you can pull out either machine (esp the lower washer) easily. If you have close-coupled walls to the side - just support the shelf with full-length battens on 3 sides. T/Driers aren’t that heavy.