closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Renault may have stated publicly at the end of May that they remain committed to F1, the indications are that the French government (the majority shareholder in Renault) is under very considerable pressure from unions and public opinion alike, to find economies within their peripheral operations rather than continue to close or amalgamate car manufacturing operations.

The Renault/Nissan conglomerate has already been badly damaged by the scandal surrounding Carlos Ghosn, and there isn't much public sympathy in mainland Europe for the closure of car production plants. The fallout from Coronavirus means that Governments must revive their core economic drivers, and manufacturing industry, together with the associated supply chains, has to be helped back into production. If you are a French politician, you're going to gain more support (and votes) by prioritising jobs over what could be seen as supporting a rich man's sport.

Renault are no longer supplying power units to customer teams - their engine department shed around 50% of posts during the 2011-2013 period when their engines were winning everything, because they were installed in the Red Bull. Senior Renault management saw an opportunity to downsize the facility, which led to a talent deficit to develop the turbo-hybrid units, which Renault were so keen to see used in Formula 1. The result was a lack of outright performance from the Renault unit, which managed the occasional result, but only when Mercedes and Ferrari failed in the same race. Development was hampered, and the team appeared to limp from one disappointment to another. Customer teams, Red Bull in particular, made no secret of their disappointment, and their decision to dispense with Renault and put their faith in the hitherto dismal, unreliable Honda spoke volumes, despite the luxury of having Toro Rosso to try the Honda units for a year first.

The major strategical decisions at Renault are made by civil servants and politicians in Paris, not the FIA or FOM. This article appeared on Pitpass a few days before the Renault statement of renewed commitment to the sport: https://www.pitpass.com/66980/End-of...ad-for-Renault

I think that Daniel Ricciardo made a smart move. The FIA and Liberty have a mounting problem in that they have two, possibly three teams whho may very well disappear within the next three years, unless funding can be found from outside of their current backers. Formula 1 without Renault, Williams and (possibly) McLaren will be hard to sell to fans and broadcasters.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Renault may have stated publicly at the end of May that they remain committed to F1, the indications are that the French government (the majority shareholder in Renault) is under very considerable pressure from unions and public opinion alike, to find economies within their peripheral operations rather than continue to close or amalgamate car manufacturing operations.

The Renault/Nissan conglomerate has already been badly damaged by the scandal surrounding Carlos Ghosn, and there isn't much public sympathy in mainland Europe for the closure of car production plants. The fallout from Coronavirus means that Governments must revive their core economic drivers, and manufacturing industry, together with the associated supply chains, has to be helped back into production. If you are a French politician, you're going to gain more support (and votes) by prioritising jobs over what could be seen as supporting a rich man's sport.

Renault are no longer supplying power units to customer teams - their engine department shed around 50% of posts during the 2011-2013 period when their engines were winning everything, because they were installed in the Red Bull. Senior Renault management saw an opportunity to downsize the facility, which led to a talent deficit to develop the turbo-hybrid units, which Renault were so keen to see used in Formula 1. The result was a lack of outright performance from the Renault unit, which managed the occasional result, but only when Mercedes and Ferrari failed in the same race. Development was hampered, and the team appeared to limp from one disappointment to another. Customer teams, Red Bull in particular, made no secret of their disappointment, and their decision to dispense with Renault and put their faith in the hitherto dismal, unreliable Honda spoke volumes, despite the luxury of having Toro Rosso to try the Honda units for a year first.

The major strategical decisions at Renault are made by civil servants and politicians in Paris, not the FIA or FOM. This article appeared on Pitpass a few days before the Renault statement of renewed commitment to the sport: https://www.pitpass.com/66980/End-of...ad-for-Renault

I think that Daniel Ricciardo made a smart move. The FIA and Liberty have a mounting problem in that they have two, possibly three teams whho may very well disappear within the next three years, unless funding can be found from outside of their current backers. Formula 1 without Renault, Williams and (possibly) McLaren will be hard to sell to fans and broadcasters.
    Thanks for posting this, I didn't know most of the infom here so it has been enlightening.

Time will tell what happens, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the teams will be saved and we can carry on enjoying the racing.

BP , we are agreeing then

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Fingers crossed this isn't as bad as it sounds.
    https://www.motorsport.com/general/n...dbike/4809326/
    Agreed, not sounding good for Alex. The man has some shit luck.

Sam Michael presided over periods of unparalleled decline in the fortunes of both Williams and McLaren during his tenure with both teams.
    Thanks. Hadn't really linked that together.

The extent of McLaren's financial difficulties is starting to become apparent:

https://pdfhost.io/v/JNNyCbaII_Micro...531024docx.pdf

It appears that the existing backers are reluctant to dilute the value of their security (principally the property at MTC and the collection of "Heritage Cars") by allowing further borrowing to be secured against these assets.

This would prevent the McLaren Group from borrowing further funds, unless any cash injection was unsecured.
    Last edited by Backward point; 20th June 2020 at 12:52.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

https://www.pitpass.com/67091/Hospit...ate-on-Zanardi

The description "legend" is bandied about liberally in the press, and very few sports stars really deserve such an epithet, but given the extent of his injuries incurred in that terrible Indycar crash, and his subsequent return to Paralympic success, there's something about Alex Zanardi which sets him apart from mere mortals.

I can only add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. The man really is a legend.

The McLaren situation appears to be worsening, there's a High Court hearing next week:

https://www.law360.com/transportatio...ough-uk-courts

It's likely that, in this situation, McLaren's credit limits with their suppliers will have been pulled, and any supplies will be cash on delivery, cash with order, or similar, which will have a massive adverse impact on cashflow, exacerbating an already desperate situation.

The options available appear to be limited - either the existing security holders agree to the dilution of value of their security by allowing outside investors to secure their investment with new charges over the main assets of the businesses, or the existing owners will have to inject the funds needed to make the companies viable again.

I can imagine Claire Williams thinking "well, at least we're not McLaren..."

The McLaren situation appears to be worsening, there's a High Court hearing next week:

It's likely that, in this situation, McLaren's credit limits with their suppliers will have been pulled, and any supplies will be cash on delivery, cash with order, or similar, which will have a massive adverse impact on cashflow, exacerbating an already desperate situation.

The options available appear to be limited - either the existing security holders agree to the dilution of value of their security by allowing outside investors to secure their investment with new charges over the main assets of the businesses, or the existing owners will have to inject the funds needed to make the companies viable again.

some suppliers already have them on pro-former

Master

Really sad to see the plight of both Williams and McLaren. It does make you wonder if McLaren have stretched their ambition too far with the road car division? Would this situation have happened if the meticulous Ron Dennis was at the helm?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Talking of Renault, I think Danny Ric has made a mistake leaving them and going to McLaren. The McLaren of a few years ago is gone and I can't see a way back to the top for them. All the news about selling assets, and asking for investments from McLaren worry me, I really do fear for their future, and I think their rod car business is on borrowed time, I just hope the race team can be saved.
    I wonder if it's too late for Danny Ric to beg for his seat back at Renault?

Clarification (of a sort) from Pitpass:

https://www.pitpass.com/67108/McLare...-bank-for-help

After the false start to the 2020 season almost four months ago now, this weekend will finally see racing under way, so we can have some respite from McLaren's financial mess, Williams' financial mess, the ongoing drama that is Renault, and find out whether Red Bull really will lodge an official protest to the FIA about the legality of the Racing Point "Pink Mercedes".

In other "differently coloured Mercedes" news, the men from Brackley have decreed that they will lend their support to the BLM movement, and their cars and team overalls will be black this year.

In terms of picking a winner this weekend, it's hard to say - nobody really knows who has done what during the months since pre-season testing, but Red Bull have some decent form in Austria, while Mercedes say that they have sorted out the cooling issues which forced them to turn down the wick last year. Ferrari seemed a little off the pace at Barcelona, but who knows what might happen now that Sebastian Vettel no longer has the pressure and weight of expectation of being team leader for the Prancing Horse.

With the calendar still being cobbled together as the season gets under way, power unit component allocation has yet to be finalised, as it is largely dependent upon the number of races.

FP1 gets under way on Friday at 10am.

but who knows what might happen now that Sebastian Vettel no longer has the pressure and weight of expectation of being team leader for the Prancing Horse.
    I see it slightly differently with Seb. He's made the decision to leave Ferrari, everyone knows it's because he can't compete with the young hotshot alongside him (or in front of him) so in this final season with Ferrari he's got a big point to prove. He'll be chasing a seat for next season and will need to go all-out to prove he is worthy of the huge wage demands he'll be making.

Additionally, Ferrari is always going to be a pressure cooker regardless of whether or not the driver is trying to maintain his place there so I just don't see the shackles coming off and Sebastian racing freely. It's always been a huge criticism of his driving that he buckles under pressure and that isn't changing this season, he's literally driving for his future this time out.

Master
    Will this weekend's race only be shown on sky? If so, are they allowing none-Sport subscribers the opportunity to see it?

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Will this weekend's race only be shown on sky? If so, are they allowing none-Sport subscribers the opportunity to see it?
    I just subscribed to Sky F1 for £10 a month. I don’t have Sky Sports.

After the false start to the 2020 season almost four months ago now, this weekend will finally see racing under way...
    Blimey - if I hadn't chanced across this thread it might have completely passed me by (and I do watch a fair bit of Sky News and Sky Football so would have expected some publicity).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I just subscribed to Sky F1 for £10 a month. I don’t have Sky Sports.
    Thanks. May I check Phil, is it possible to do that without the standard Sky package?

Master
    It will be Channel 4 highlights only if you don't have any sport subscription, as mentioned above if you have Sky you can add F1 for £10, alternatively NowTV are offering Sports for £25/month for next 3 months.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing some track action

Thanks. May I check Phil, is it possible to do that without the standard Sky package?
    You need to have a Sky Box. I don’t know if you can add it if you have a box with no sub.

Master
    Interesting news re Ferrari, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53160036

Master
    This team really needs a major overhaul. Becoming embarrassing now. They should be up there competing for race wins!

Journeyman
    First race is always interesting but we need to see someone really take on Mercedes to make it very interesting!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    This team really needs a major overhaul. Becoming embarrassing now. They should be up there competing for race wins!
    They've been embarrassing for many years now, nothing new there.

Apprentice

Ferrari sandbagging

Ferrari were weirdly slow in winter testing so most have written them off.
    I'm convinced they're hustling and Charles or Seb will win on Sunday.

I cannot wait!

And, what out for Lando Norris, super talented Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    So the reality is Ferrari saw the other front running cars at the test and because of Covid have had the opportunity to re address their interpretation of the rules, they are one of the few teams who would have the cash to do this, surely any development should have been frozen and reset back to March,

Quote Originally Posted by rockey100 View Post
    Ferrari were weirdly slow in winter testing so most have written them off.
    I'm convinced they're hustling and Charles or Seb will win on Sunday.

I cannot wait!

And, what out for Lando Norris, super talented Brit.
    No where near as talented as George Russell, just in a faster car.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Isn't that an important part of a driver's talent? (or a rider's)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Apprentice
    Yup, reckon George would be very fast in a Merc. But, Charles has a lot of talent.

Having said that, I'm gonna flutter on Seb to win on Sunday. If getting the sack from Ferrari and being demoted by Charles doesn't get this juices flowing, I don't know what will.... Hope he sticks it to em.

Quote Originally Posted by rockey100 View Post
    Yup, reckon George would be very fast in a Merc. But, Charles has a lot of talent.

Having said that, I'm gonna flutter on Seb to win on Sunday. If getting the sack from Ferrari and being demoted by Charles doesn't get this juices flowing, I don't know what will.... Hope he sticks it to em.
    I'd save your cash. Ferrari have admitted they've made a fundamental error in design, and the revision won't be ready until Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I'd save your cash. Ferrari have admitted they've made a fundamental error in design, and the revision won't be ready until Hungary
    But only after seeing the other cars

When Williams have the same issue they have to live with it, as they haven't got the resources to fix it on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Isn't that an important part of a driver's talent? (or a rider's)
    sort of, on getting into the fast car in the first place, at the test (I think end of last season) Russell was fastest of all driving Hamilton's car, W10?

sort of, on getting into the fast car in the first place, at the test (I think end of last season) Russell was fastest of all driving Hamilton's car, W10?
    Think of the number of titles/victory F. Alonso or even A. Prost would have if they had picked better, and where M Shumacher would be if he had not signed for Ferrari. Undoubtedly a part of that is luck with having the people backing you powerful enough to open the right doors.
    But what history will remember is how Lewis dominated Formula 1 in most of the years he was part of it.

Even Fangio switched, from Alfa, Maserati then Mercedes IMMIC

Blog Entries
    So the reality is Ferrari saw the other front running cars at the test and because of Covid have had the opportunity to re address their interpretation of the rules, they are one of the few teams who would have the cash to do this, surely any development should have been frozen and reset back to March,
    Interesting to see if we can spot difference between the pre-Hungary and post-Hongary cars.

What amazes me is that they come forward with this message 3 days before circus in Austria starts. I wouldn't be surprised that it is all disinformation and fake news from Ferrari, trying to lure the other teams into believe that they are currently not a force to reckon with. We've seen how good they are in hiding their true colours in the past.

Menno

What's your problem with this? They uncovered an issue in pre-season testing, and have been working to resolve it. Had the same happened with Mercedes, you would expect them to sort it out, so that darling Lewis could have the fastest car again, wouldn't you?

As far as Williams are concerned, their lack of resources is due to a lack of results, resulting in lower payments from the Constructors' Championship prize fund, notwithstanding the fact that they (and McLaren) receive bonus payments due to their historical contribution to the sport.

Williams and McLaren have both managed to squander their resources, although McLaren appear to have wasted theirs in two directions, with both the Formula 1 and road car businesses draining their cash, while Williams have been selling the family silver to prop up the F1 team.

There's no room for self-pity or sympathy in motor racing. As Bernie Ecclestone once said to Eddie Jordan when he met him in the F1 paddock at the team's first Grand Prix: "Welcome to the piranha club".

What's your problem with this? They uncovered an issue in pre-season testing, and have been working to resolve it. Had the same happened with Mercedes, you would expect them to sort it out, so that darling Lewis could have the fastest car again, wouldn't you?
    My problem with this is that under normal circumstances they would not have had the opportunity to resolve the issue, or maybe even identify the issue prior to commencement of racing, as in most seasons everything is driven by the timetable and this can easily dictate success or failure, this season should be no different. considering that most teams furloughed staff in the UK development should have stopped. this obviously assumes that it wasn't just operational staff that went home.

I can't see any issue in Ferrari using whatever resources they could to start working on what effectively sounds like a new car. Every other team would have been doing what they could to tweak as many aspects of their own chassis and powertrain, some would be more able than others however that's the way it has always been C19 or otherwise.

My problem with this is that under normal circumstances they would not have had the opportunity to resolve the issue, or maybe even identify the issue prior to commencement of racing, as in most seasons everything is driven by the timetable and this can easily dictate success or failure, this season should be no different. considering that most teams furloughed staff in the UK development should have stopped. this obviously assumes that it wasn't just operational staff that went home.
    You are joking, right? I mean, read your post again. Are you really complaining that not all teams were affected the same way, and therefore it's not fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You are joking, right? I mean, read your post again. Are you really complaining that not all teams were affected the same way, and therefore it's not fair?
    I cant answer how they were all effected, can you? but I feel that they should have treated the period since the season should have started in the same way as the summer break, otherwise the massively resourced teams will have even more of an advantage.

I cant answer how they were all effected, can you? but I feel that they should have treated the period since the season should have started in the same way as the summer break, otherwise the massively resourced teams will have even more of an advantage.
    The disadvantage exists. Until all teams are on an equal footing, the massively resourced teams will have such an advantage the others are excluded from the podium and more except exceptional circumstances, like a pile up at the start, or a downpour after the first teams changed their tyres, etc.

The tests in winter are there to validate their work for the new season. If those tests identify an issue, all teams will uses all the resources they can to correct it ASAP. I'll tell you another "secret": while Ferrari was scrambling to make the car perform, Mercedes was probably working at full tilt developing a car for next year, or the next (whenever the rule change occurs)

Had the same happened with Mercedes, you would expect them to sort it out, so that darling Lewis could have the fastest car again, wouldn't you?
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I don’t know how accurate this source may be but it looks as if Honda may have stolen a march here. If this is true it may give Red Bull an advantage although I expect them to win in Austria anyway.

https://thejudge13.com/2020/07/01/verstappen-favourite-in-austria-as-honda-uses-engine-loophole/

That link doesn't work for me

FP1 has started. The first official session of the season, and it's only July!

That link doesn't work for me
    Vettel states that a contract was never offered from Ferrari to go beyond this season, whereas I thought it had been reported previously that the two sides couldn't mutually agree on terms. In short, he was kicked out rather than negotiated out. Depending on how you read it he also lays a good chunk of blame on the team rather than himself for not being as successful as they might otherwise have been. He says he's still hungry for wins and his motivation is high, let's see how that translates on the circuit.

I'm working today and tomorrow though I've taken the day off for the race, I doubt I'll have a chance to catch any coverage before the race itself. A friend of mine is trying to wind me up as he's already watching P1 live, the lucky git.

Thanks for that, CS.

Nothing conclusive from FP1, as expected - Mercedes are running DAS* (I wonder what Adrian would have thought if Ferrari had come up with DAS instead of Mercedes?) so expect a visit to the Stewards from Christian Horner. Some teams were working on race setup, and not looking for fast laps, Racing Point were up at the sharp end, McLaren looked ok, Romain Grosjean had a brake problem before he set a lap time, and just made it out of the pit lane with 25 seconds of the session remaining.

The weather is cool and a bit damp, with a few drivers venturing out on Intermediates early on, but the quick times were set on softs. On the subject of tyres, and more specifically wheels, the F2 cars are on track, and this year they're running 18" wheels. Visually, they're going to take a bit of getting used to. Right now, they just look "wrong".

FP2 starts at 1.45, and with FP1 little more than a pre-season test session, this afternoon should see something a bit more representative of true early-season form.

*Paul di Resta had some interesting thoughts on DAS, along the lines of "there's more to it than we've speculated - why would a constructor put something which adds weight high in the monocoque, and adds complexity and work for the driver if it just reduces a bit of tyre scrub in a straight line?" He thinks that it's more about managing tyre temperature, and giving some suspension geometry adjustment during the course of a lap.

Binotto's side of the Vettel/Ferrari split.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...ision/4823977/

Reads to me that the Scuderia were looking for a reason to drop the German. Could be wrong, though.

Master
    Racing point are looking very sharp. I think there are going to be a number of teams lodging complaints about the ‘Pink Mercedes’ if they get good results.

Thanks for that, CS.

Nothing conclusive from FP1, as expected - Mercedes are running DAS* (I wonder what Adrian would have thought if Ferrari had come up with DAS instead of Mercedes?) so expect a visit to the Stewards from Christian Horner.
    Yep, Red Bull have put an official complaint in.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........