closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I share your view of Hamilton, and like you I don't think that he would last long at Ferrari - if he jumped ship from McLaren as he didn't like doing the media work, he wouldn't enjoy the workload at Ferrari, or the intense scrutiny of the Italian press, not known for pulling their punches. A Ferrari driver is expected to live, eat and breathe Ferrari, and learn to speak Italian.

I'd like to see Carlos Sainz alongside LeClerc next season. I think that he would be a good fit for a couple of years, before Mick Schumacher is ready for Formula 1.
    I think that when you have a talent like LH, you nurture it so he can perform at his best. As long as he delivers like he does, he is the right choice. This is where the choice of MB was so good, not so much for the car alone but for Toto, who has proved to be rather clever in his drivers management...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Why, given the intense media pressure which comes with a Ferrari drive, would Hamilton accept a drive alongside Ferrari's new young star who has just been given a (very) long-term contract. LeClerc is the future at Ferrari.

There are several other drivers who would be a better fit - Nico Hulkenberg, who had a Ferrari contract only a few short years ago, but which was never signed? Jean-Eric Vergne, who has a test/reserve/development contract with Ferrari? Kevin Magnussen, who already has close links with Ferrari due to his Haas contract? Kimi Raikkonen?

Ferrari need a wingman for Charles LeClerc until Mick Schumacher is ready.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    SV and KR left early, apparently.

This may be old news now however this is the report stating that only F1 is to be cancelled.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/a...plans/4744159/
    Ferrari have a reputation for falling out with drivers, Prost, Alonso, I think the people who hired Vettel had all gone by the time he started.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Ferrari have a reputation for falling out with drivers, Prost, Alonso, I think the people who hired Vettel had all gone by the time he started.
    Do I need a parrot? Not sure if I understand the point above if it's referring to my quote above it. I was referring to SV and KR leaving Melbourne before the official race cancellation announcement, not leaving Ferrari early.

As for Vettel and Hamilton - I'd easily place Lewis over Seb as a driver, I wouldn't even hesitate. Seb has, on many occasions, showed a lack of mind management under pressure resulting in too many on track errors of judgement, from Istanbul in 2010 running into his teammate Webber to Silverstone last year crashing into the back of Verstappen. Listening to Lewis' radio comms you could get the impression that he needs his team to emmotionally support him however he has never cracked under pressure in the way that Seb has and has, at least, the same speed.

I'm really enjoying the Sainz/Norris pairing, they've played an intrinsic part of McLaren's image and revival. Ron Dennis' straight-laced suited and booted serious McLaren has long gone, credit to their achievements within that era though, so it would be a shame to break the dynamic that CS and LN bring. I'm not surprised that Vettel is off, the relationship and dynamic just wasn't working and it could have potentially reached boiling point, though who will replace him is an interesting topic. I'm going with Sainz being more likely than Ricciardo simply because of the reasoning behind the Australian's departure from Red Bull, though I think that Ricciardo's talent is greater.

Will Hulkenberg return? Who'll take on Vettel, presuming he doesn't retire? Will Alonso make a comeback...???

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think that when you have a talent like LH, you nurture it so he can perform at his best. As long as he delivers like he does, he is the right choice. This is where the choice of MB was so good, not so much for the car alone but for Toto, who has proved to be rather clever in his drivers management...
    I'm of the opinion that the combination of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes is the best that ever was, over and above Schumacher's Todt/Brawn Ferrari and any other that comes to mind.

It's a team sport and the way Mercedes have played it has been outstanding.

the combination of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes is the best that ever was, over and above Schumacher's Todt/Brawn Ferrari and any other that comes to mind.
    It's also very boring to watch just as it was when we all knew Schuey was gonna win the race (which he invariably did)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    It's also very boring to watch just as it was when we all knew Schuey was gonna win the race (which he invariably did)
    I get that and I also fully understand how any new fan to the sport may be put off by their dominance however I look at it from the perspective of witnessing a first rate team doing what it does best. For me their superiority over the last number of seasons has been history in the making and a pleasure to witness, though I appreciate that other's mileage may vary.

I'm of the opinion that the combination of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes is the best that ever was, over and above Schumacher's Todt/Brawn Ferrari and any other that comes to mind.

Agreed. The other teams should be aiming to match them and close the gap (not to say they aren't, the just haven't got the money behind them I imagine) . There is no point hampering Mercedes just to make it more interesting. F1 should be the pinnacle of racing. I'd be more keen to see some of the prize money for constructors divided differently, to give some of the lower paced cars more of a chance.

Blog Entries
    Just in: Ricciardo goes to McLaren in 2021.

Master
    Sainz to the Reds then!

Alonso to Renault?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Vettel to !??

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Alonso to Renault?
    I’m not sure alonso would stomach another season fighting for a midfield place. Maybe 1 year contract for someone at Renault and then alonso in for the new rule changes?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ferrari have announced that Carlos Sainz will join them, on a two-year deal.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Blog Entries
    Ferrari have announced that Carlos Sainz will join them, on a two-year deal.
    Interesting to see how that will turn out... LeClerc the leading role, but Sainz will take every chance he gets to outperform his team mate.

Perhaps Vettel, Roseberg and Alonso should buy Haas, and show the world how it should be done. I am sure they have enough money.

Part of me feels a bit sorry for Vettel and how he finished his career at Ferrari, but it only a small part. Great driver, poor racer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Interesting to see how that will turn out... LeClerc the leading role, but Sainz will take every chance he gets to outperform his team mate.
    I'm not sure this is a good move on Sainz's part; I feel he could be a no.1 driver, and he certainly won't be that at Ferrari. It's also questionable whether he'll be allowed to outperform Leclerc. Isn't a no.2 seat at Ferrari the kiss of death for a driver's career?

Master

Agreed, Hamilton’s credentials are such that any team would be over the moon to sign him. Toto manages him exceptionally well and I don’t think he has any intention of moving anywhere unless Mercedes pull out of F1.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I'm not sure this is a good move on Sainz's part; I feel he could be a no.1 driver, and he certainly won't be that at Ferrari. It's also questionable whether he'll be allowed to outperform Leclerc. Isn't a no.2 seat at Ferrari the kiss of death for a driver's career?
    Wasn't for LCL

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Wasn't for LCL

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    If you mean Charles LeClerc, no, it wasn't. But he's an exceptional talent.

I'm sure that Carlos Sainz will do exactly what Ferrari want him to do - he has several million reasons to be happy with a drive in a potential race-winning car. Charles LeClerc is very much the future at Ferrari, and has a five-year contract to prove it. And it's customary at Maranello to give their de facto number one driver the right of veto when it comes to selecting a team-mate for him.

Sainz seems to be a good team player, an even-tempered driver with more than enough ability to mix it at the sharp end. I think that he's an excellent choice.

A good number of people were predicting that Leclerc would, at the very least, push Vettel further than he'd been pushed before, and so it came to be. As said, Ferrari have now claimed him as one of their own with the 5 year contract and with age and speed on his side no-one can blame them, in fact it may prove to be their best signing for years. Mercedes have Hamilton, Red Bull have Verstappen and Ferrari have Leclerc and you just know that each team is happy to have their respective talent, let's see when Hamilton re-signs - I see it as a when, not an if.

As for Vettel, this has all the signs of him being managed out of the team. Ferrari would have been OK with a short term contract, maybe another year for example, however he's now one of the "more experienced" drivers on the grid and has been shown up by his less experienced teammate, Ferrari won't be too fussed that he has gone and may well have intentionally dealt Vettel a crap hand to get things over and done with. The fact that both Sainz and Ricciardo have been announced so soon after the news of Vettel's departure can only mean that talks were already at at advanced stage prior to Vettel's release and that Ferrari had a clear backup plan, a 2 year deal (most probably with performance clauses) shows reasonable faith towards Sainz from Ferrari. It also shows that Ricciardo had no issue in jumping ship from Renault, I presume that he had performance clauses in place based around the team/car and that these weren't met allowing him the free choice to go. McLaren have Mercedes power next season, couple that with the best left foot in the grid I'm excited to see if McLaren continue their ascendancy, though we still have this season to get through yet.

I see Sainz to Ferrari as a sound move by both in that it'll probably be the best car that Sainz has sat in and that he, IMO, doesn't quite have the talent of Leclerc making things easier for Ferrari. Sainz gets himself in a car that should be capable of winning races, Ferrari get a driver that should takes points when Leclerc doesn't and a natural Hamilton/Bottas balance should ensue.

I can't see Alonso back in F1 and could see Vettel depart after this season as well. Hulkenberg back to Renault?

Vettel to Mercedes for 2021?

With Lewis and Toto so close (as an aside, also apparently very friendly with Seb out with the paddock), along with question marks over Toto’s long term future, perhaps Lewis wishes to match Schumi’s championship record this year and leave the new rules (which would have been 2021) to the youngsters.

Vettel knows this, but can’t say anything until Lewis announces at the end of the year. Meanwhile everybody thinks Seb’s gently shuffling out of the paddock, when in fact, it’s Lewis leaving with record equalling 7 championships, but more wins, poles and points making him, statistically, the greatest, and off to record music and set new fashion trends.

Fanciful? Or very possible? I can’t see Vettel retiring this easily, nor see him at Renault, but the Hulk or Alonso more likely to take the Renault seat. The only draw that I can see for Vettel would be the tenuous link that he’s won all his previous championships with Renault power.

Just a bit of fun, but I don’t think it sounds that silly

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Vettel to Mercedes for 2021?

Just a bit of fun, but I don’t think it sounds that silly
    Nothing silly about that, in fact regardless as to how likely it'll be it's certainly an interesting set of talking points.

I cannot see Vettel going to Mercedes simply because I cannot see Lewis hanging up his helmet. He has the opportunity to become a GOAT and not just beat MS record but also destroy it in the process.

Also why have an ageing and expensive Vettel, when you could have a much cheaper Ocon, Russell, or Norris.

Bottas will leave Mercedes before a Lewis.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking (but wrote down differently). Remember the animosity between him and Max Verstappen? LeClerc is the same sort of guy when it comes to this sort of situations.

Master
    A good number of people were predicting that Leclerc would, at the very least, push Vettel further than he'd been pushed before, and so it came to be. As said, Ferrari have now claimed him as one of their own with the 5 year contract and with age and speed on his side no-one can blame them, in fact it may prove to be their best signing for years. Mercedes have Hamilton, Red Bull have Verstappen and Ferrari have Leclerc and you just know that each team is happy to have their respective talent, let's see when Hamilton re-signs - I see it as a when, not an if.

As for Vettel, this has all the signs of him being managed out of the team. Ferrari would have been OK with a short term contract, maybe another year for example, however he's now one of the "more experienced" drivers on the grid and has been shown up by his less experienced teammate, Ferrari won't be too fussed that he has gone and may well have intentionally dealt Vettel a crap hand to get things over and done with. The fact that both Sainz and Ricciardo have been announced so soon after the news of Vettel's departure can only mean that talks were already at at advanced stage prior to Vettel's release and that Ferrari had a clear backup plan, a 2 year deal (most probably with performance clauses) shows reasonable faith towards Sainz from Ferrari. It also shows that Ricciardo had no issue in jumping ship from Renault, I presume that he had performance clauses in place based around the team/car and that these weren't met allowing him the free choice to go. McLaren have Mercedes power next season, couple that with the best left foot in the grid I'm excited to see if McLaren continue their ascendancy, though we still have this season to get through yet.

I see Sainz to Ferrari as a sound move by both in that it'll probably be the best car that Sainz has sat in and that he, IMO, doesn't quite have the talent of Leclerc making things easier for Ferrari. Sainz gets himself in a car that should be capable of winning races, Ferrari get a driver that should takes points when Leclerc doesn't and a natural Hamilton/Bottas balance should ensue.

I can't see Alonso back in F1 and could see Vettel depart after this season as well. Hulkenberg back to Renault?
    I’m sure I read that Daniel is out of contract with Renault at the end of this year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’m sure I read that Daniel is out of contract with Renault at the end of this year anyway.
    I think you're right in that his contract was up for renewal anyway, though the team's performance would have given him an easy out. It wouldn't have been a difficult decision for him to leave, I just hope that McLaren do both their drivers justice.

I think you're right in that his contract was up for renewal anyway, though the team's performance would have given him an easy out. It wouldn't have been a difficult decision for him to leave, I just hope that McLaren do both their drivers justice.
    Word is that McLaren are mortgaging anything and everything, including their historic Formula 1 cars to raise cash.

Which hardly implies a serious assault on the current Top 3 in the immediate future.

Word is that McLaren are mortgaging anything and everything, including their historic Formula 1 cars to raise cash.

Which hardly implies a serious assault on the current Top 3 in the immediate future.
    Selling the family silverware certainly smacks of desperation.

So, what about this then? Alonso back to Renault with Liberty backing - maybe.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernan...ByrM3IFyIKScTA

If true, even just the consideration of it, then I'm flabbergasted. Seriously????

You can't have the sport's commercial rights holder interfering like that, they obviously see a return of investment on the deal should the Spaniard return however it's a gratuitous kick in the gut to any other driver that may otherwise be considered for the seat. For Liberty to target a particular driver and (partly) fund their salary is borderline immoral.

It would also be flicking a V to every other team on the grid, particularly those around a similar performance level as Renault. How could Liberty sub someone like Alonso and expect other teams to accept it given the experience and points scoring ability that he could bring to La Reggie? If I were any other Principal other than Abiteboul I'd be livid.

Pay drivers are perhaps a necessary evil however this would take it to a whole new level. In fact, I'm struggling to comprehend it.
    Last edited by CardShark; 15th May 2020 at 17:08.

If true, even just the consideration of it, then I'm flabbergasted. Seriously????

You can't have the sport's commercial rights holder interfering like that, they obviously see a return of investment on the deal should the Spaniard return however it's a gratuitous kick in the gut to any other driver that may otherwise be considered for the seat. For Liberty to target a particular driver and (partly) fund their salary is borderline immoral.

It would also be flicking a V to every other team on the grid, particularly those around a similar performance level as Renault. How could Liberty sub someone like Alonso and expect other teams to accept it given the experience and points scoring ability that he could bring to La Reggie? If I were any other Principal other than Abiteboul I'd be livid.

Pay drivers are perhaps a necessary evil however this would take it to a whole new level. In fact, I'm struggling to comprehend it.
    I'd suggest that is just a hit counter and nothing else.

I'd suggest that is just a hit counter and nothing else.
    I hope so, the report does appear to have some weight however neither autosport.com or motorsport.com are running that article so it could just be hot air. I can't see the other teams allowing it anyway.

That ship sailed many, many years ago. Bernie played a massive role in placing drivers in teams, for the commercial gains. Schumacher notably.

Craftsman
    I know that McLaren road and F1 teams are different, but I watched an interested Youtube video that said that McLaren roads cars are in serious truble. He doesn't think they will last 5 years.

Now with the reports of McLaren selling/pawning their old F1 cars, I do think there is some truth to his video.

https://youtu.be/k0uUqUXaPJ4

For those interested, and with an hour to spare, here is a Sky Sports F1 vodcast on the fallout and manoeuvring following the departure of Sebastian Vettel from Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kclITJVjEU

And an insight into the world of Britta Roeske, who will (sadly) disappear from Formula 1 along with Seb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiwawBRvkw

And an insight into the world of Britta Roeske, who will (sadly) disappear from Formula 1 along with Seb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeiwawBRvkw
    With blonde hair and looks like that, I'm not sure she'll be out of work too long....

With blonde hair and looks like that, I'm not sure she'll be out of work too long....
    I'l miss Britta. She has a very dirty smile, in my mind she's absolute filth.

Looks like the 2 weeks quarantine could stop Silverstone.

in my mind she's absolute filth.
    I have a very "exercisable" mind too so..... I'll buy that for a dollar

Anyone else watch the Brian Moor meets Niki Lauda film on ITV4 that’s on now,

Master
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned above the second seat in Ferrari seems to end in 2 options, you get the top seat like CLC or leave the team for a lower team or tier of motorsport.

Going back 20 years, Irvine, Salo, Barichello, Massa, Fisichella and even Kimi all never hit the heights after leaving. Maybe an argument that a step away is naturally a step down or that they stay a little too long but I think it's a genuine toxicity at the team because of the pressure, scrutiny and need for a clear number 1.

Vettel has cracked a few times under the pressure in the last couple of seasons but there's no doubting he has the pace to win, races and titles.

Ferrari is unlike any other Formula 1 team.

Church services in Italy are arranged around race times. Church bells across the country are rung when the team wins. The pressure from their global legion of fans - the Tifosi - is intense, and the scrutiny of the Italian sporting media is unrelenting.

So the team cannot operate in a bubble as other teams do. Decisions, driver errors, tactical errors are magnified beyond the imagination of the casual viewer, who would not be able to comprehend the pressure within the team to perform, and deliver the results and glory demanded of them.

Given the magnifying glass under which they have to operate, is it any wonder that their driver selection strategy is to have a clearly-defined Number 1, with a Number 2 backing up, and capable of taking the baton and winning races or maximising points if the team leader is unable to do so? No other team is under such pressure, but everything that Ferrari does is forensically scrutinised, and criticised by those who cannot comprehend the intense pressure that the team is constantly subjected to.

You pass the ball to the man most likely to score. Ferrari must have a dominant team leader, and a safe pair of hands guiding the second car. And everybody within the team must eat, live, and breathe Ferrari.

Because that is the least that's expected of them.

...and they've just announced that they'll be making 1,200 employees from across the entire business redundant, that's around 1/4 of their workforce! Approximately 70 of those will be from F1 operations however with the upcoming cost restrictions we may well see other teams doing the same.

Does anybody want to buy a Grand Prix team?

https://www.pitpass.com/67005/Sale-w...-says-Williams

Does anybody want to buy a Grand Prix team?

https://www.pitpass.com/67005/Sale-w...-says-Williams
    All that time at the back has had to take its toll

First job get rid of Claire Williams,

FW has a large personal fortune, does this mean he hasn’t the confidence to risk any of it?
    Last edited by adrianw; 29th May 2020 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

FW has a large personal fortune, does this mean he hasn’t the confidence to risk any of it?
    Would you?

Would you?
    No, I think this year is the beginning of the end for Formula one, it’s too expensive and over regulated

I’d love to see an anything goes approach to F1.

The car would have to fit into a set size box (and no extending wings etc) but other than that, no other rules. Engines, tyres, pit stops etc are all up to the team with the sole aim of getting the car to the finish the quickest.

It would certainly make for interesting cars and hopefully racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

The car would have to fit into a set size box (and no extending wings etc) but other than that, no other rules. Engines, tyres, pit stops etc are all up to the team with the sole aim of getting the car to the finish the quickest.

I understand the sentiment, but it would become an arms race, with teams spending their way to race wins and Championships.

There would be no second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

The cars would be too quick for current tracks and safety standards.

Whenever I watch real racing, I'm always reminded how sanitised F1 has become.