closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    "Coronavirus: Lewis Hamilton deletes vaccine conspiracy theory post" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53559934
    Social media has much to answer for.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I think you have to consider in car Hamilton and out of car Hamilton as separate creatures. He's a 'reasonable' racing driver and a total dickhead. In a similar way, David Attenborough's a 'reasonable' person and a shit racing driver.

David Attenborough has better hair though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ... and this is one of my favourite YT videos, it needs the best part of an hour to watch however it feels like 15 minutes.

Not F1 but it does have Chris Harris.

https://youtu.be/q3YPTkBRaOk
    Thanks for that link I thoroughly enjoyed watching, it would have passed me by otherwise. Now time to go to the National Lottery website to buy a ticket or two!
    There's no doubt Portimão is a cracking track and to see F1 there this year will be awesome.
    Looking forward to Silverstone this weekend, even though it will be highlights only for me as I'm working nights

Lewis Hamilton has apparently found himself on the ‘mouth-breathing nut-job’ side of the c19 vaccine debate and appears to be struggling to find a reverse gear https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...19-vaccination

He should stick to driving lest he be thought of as a cockwomble.

I'm sure that a Lewis Hamilton fanboy will be along shortly to tell us that he, Hamilton, is nothing less than a motor racing God, and will be happy to provide some numbers which support his misguided view.

To more motor-racing related matters, and Hamilton must be favourite to walk away with the spoils at Silverstone this weekend, given the advantage that the Mercedes appears to enjoy in 2020. Over at Red Bull, a crisis meeting between the team management and senior Honda personnel is taking place today, with much soul-searching and possibly finger-pointing from both sides as they strive to close the gap.

Still, it's better than no racing at all, and McLaren's new deal with Gulf will please many, and provide another sign that they are, at last, moving in the right direction.

As usual in these unusual times, most of the racing, and therefore interest, will be on the midfield,
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

If you are interested in Formula 1 and motorsport ephemera, here's an unsophisticated but interesting site showing drivers' helmets over the years.

If you click on 'pilotes' there is an alphabetic list of drivers and their different helmets.

http://formulahelmet.com/

The fella behind the site has produced a glossy book on the development of helmets, you can choose a Senna or Prost cover and it is full of piccies, technical info' and anecdotes. English and French texts. Seems to be well done.

https://redrunner.fr/en/produit/formula-helmet/

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'm sure that a Lewis Hamilton fanboy will be along shortly to tell us that he, Hamilton, is nothing less than a motor racing God, and will be happy to provide some numbers which support his misguided view.

You cannot help yourself can you. Boring.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

^^^

Thanks for that, I could lose an afternoon on the Formula Helmet site!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I'm not a fanboy, and he's certainly is deserving of the cockwomble title, but he's still the best on the grid isn't he? Is that misguided, have Mercedes got it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'm not a fanboy, and he's certainly is deserving of the cockwomble title, but he's still the best on the grid isn't he? Is that misguided, have Mercedes got it wrong?
    "Misguided" wasn't aimed at Hamilton, Chris. He's in the right place at the right time, and there's no doubt about his abilities when he's in the car.

Out of the car, however, is a different story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I agree on both counts - until there is ever parity in the cars, it will always be a hypothetical debate, but there's enough evidence to suggest it's not just about the car. Totally different thing but the top gear track lap he did in the pouring rain larking around the whole way showed some insight, from memory a few seconds quicker than any other F1 drivers wet lap and not far off their dry times too, he is super talented for sure. The pole lap he set in the rain a few weeks back was sensational.

Last edited by Lampoc; 29th July 2020 at 20:14. Reason: no point

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I agree on both counts - until there is ever parity in the cars, it will always be a hypothetical debate, but there's enough evidence to suggest it's not just about the car. Totally different thing but the top gear track lap he did in the pouring rain larking around the whole way showed some insight, from memory a few seconds quicker than any other F1 drivers wet lap and not far off their dry times too, he is super talented for sure. The pole lap he set in the rain a few weeks back was sensational.
    There has never been parity in the cars, unless it’s something like Formula Renault or Formula Ford. The rules are there to make it close, however some Teams seem better at innovating/interpreting the rules than others.

The last time we have anything approaching parity was when lots of teams were using Cosworth V8 DFV, but that really only lasted 10 years.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    There has never been parity in the cars, unless it’s something like Formula Renault or Formula Ford. The rules are there to make it close, however some Teams seem better at innovating/interpreting the rules than others.

The last time we have anything approaching parity was when lots of teams were using Cosworth V8 DFV, but that really only lasted 10 years.
    That's why I said until there is ever parity … - that's future tense, acknowledging there has never been parity in the past...

Master
    They need something more like the BTCC where there is a lot of standard parts and restrictions to keep the racing close, success ballast which can be divisive is great because it prevents the same cars winning all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They need something more like the BTCC where there is a lot of standard parts and restrictions to keep the racing close, success ballast which can be divisive is great because it prevents the same cars winning all the time

Something needs to change as the product of F1 is dire at the moment, it's turning fans away and sponsors are following.

That's why I said until there is ever parity … - that's future tense, acknowledging there has never been parity in the past...
    Then Formula Renault or Ford (or other single make racing) is what you need to watch. For me F1 is the pinnacle of Motor Sport in terms of technology and skill and not something which needs to be dumbed down in order to create closer racing. It somewhat defeats the objective if every else is handicapped in order to give the slowest cars/drivers a better chance of winning.

Can you imagine what the 100m would be like if Usain Bolt had to strap on an extra 10kg in order to make it more competitive for others.

Perhaps the answer should be fairer allocation of prize money, but that’s will not guarantee anything - a bit like salary caps in Rugby or FFP in football. Plus in order to get this, you will need the big teams to agree to it. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Another option to spice up the grid would be to ban team orders, remove the stupid tyre regulations and allow 3 car teams (enabling 30 car starting grids rather than the current 20) so more, pit stops, more safety cars, more overtaking. It wouldn’t change the results very much but it would satisfy most punters.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Something needs to change as the product of F1 is dire at the moment, it's turning fans away and sponsors are following.
    According to the numbers the viewing figures were higher In 2019 than in 2016. Nearly 0.5billion so about 7% of the global population. It will be interesting to see what it’s like this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/480129/cable-or-broadcast-tv-networks-formula-one-f1-racing-watched-within-the-last-12-months-usa/

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    According to the numbers the viewing figures were higher In 2019 than in 2016. Nearly 0.5billion so about 7% of the global population. It will be interesting to see what it’s like this year.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/480129/cable-or-broadcast-tv-networks-formula-one-f1-racing-watched-within-the-last-12-months-usa/
    Could viewing figures be increasing simply because there are (usually) more Grand Prix held around the world, more access in more countries, figures from established venues from the last 10/15 year's might be a better indication, I'm in the pub Sunday nights and now the race is hardly mentioned by the usual crowd and I think that the highlights/repeats weren't even on the telly in the last year, ok the loss of free to air may be an influence, but on Sunday we'll be watching the BTCC, not likely to even record the highlights.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 31st July 2020 at 17:56.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Could viewing figures be increasing simply because there are (usually) more Grand Prix held around the world, more access in more countries.

Yeap, he's right.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...eJyuTrk22.html

from the arcticle, "In terms of unique viewers, during 2019 the sport remained stable in the top 20 markets at 405.5m (+0.3%), while there was a slight decrease globally (-3.9%)"

and that's on top of downwards figures for a number of years

Yeap, he's right.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...eJyuTrk22.html

from the arcticle, "In terms of unique viewers, during 2019 the sport remained stable in the top 20 markets at 405.5m (+0.3%), while there was a slight decrease globally (-3.9%)"

and that's on top of downwards figures for a number of years

I think some people also have forgotten that F1 is now mostly Pay for View, so those who took a passing interest a few years ago, are simply not bothering to shell out the money. A bit like boxing. I imagine that if the Olympic Games became PFV, them audience numbers would also suffer.

As for BTCC, great fun but the fact that it’s shown on ITV 4 perhaps says it all. A global touring car champion could attract big numbers but alas it remain the poor relation to BTCC (in the UK), NSCAR in the US and DTR in Germany. Perhaps the future lies in the World GT/endurance Series. Cars that people can recognise, big grids, Historic tracks, different classification of cars (handicapping) and different levels of drivers, but how many would want to watch 2-4-6-8-12 24 hour races?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Then Formula Renault or Ford (or other single make racing) is what you need to watch. For me F1 is the pinnacle of Motor Sport in terms of technology and skill and not something which needs to be dumbed down in order to create closer racing. It somewhat defeats the objective if every else is handicapped in order to give the slowest cars/drivers a better chance of winning.

Can you imagine what the 100m would be like if Usain Bolt had to strap on an extra 10kg in order to make it more competitive for others.

Perhaps the answer should be fairer allocation of prize money, but that’s will not guarantee anything - a bit like salary caps in Rugby or FFP in football. Plus in order to get this, you will need the big teams to agree to it. Turkeys voting for Christmas springs to mind. Another option to spice up the grid would be to ban team orders, remove the stupid tyre regulations and allow 3 car teams (enabling 30 car starting grids rather than the current 20) so more, pit stops, more safety cars, more overtaking. It wouldn’t change the results very much but it would satisfy most punters.
    Drivers make a big difference maybe an NFL style draft between budget and drivers who knows.. mind you that would be tantamount to asking usain bolt to run the 100m in Wellington boots full of custard if he was picked by Williams for example
    It’s hard to get the racing better there is no ideal solution

Drivers make a big difference maybe an NFL style draft between budget and drivers who knows.. mind you that would be tantamount to asking usain bolt to run the 100m in Wellington boots full of custard if he was picked by Williams for example
    It’s hard to get the racing better there is no ideal solution

George decided to race for Williams, he wasn't forced to do it. Plus perhaps we should think of it more like an apprenticeship. Look at Vettel and MV. Both in the Toro Rosso before migrating to Red Bull. I am confident GR time will come.

As for Williams, we shouldn't forget they have 7 WDC under their belt, which is 3 more than Red Bull and 7 more than Toro Rosso. I accept that Williams have under performed for the last 20 years, but they are still on the grid and competing unlike many others. Hopefully the new rules will help balance the playing field, but I have been saying that for 40 odd years.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If you are interested in Formula 1 and motorsport ephemera, here's an unsophisticated but interesting site showing drivers' helmets over the years.

If you click on 'pilotes' there is an alphabetic list of drivers and their different helmets.

http://formulahelmet.com/

The fella behind the site has produced a glossy book on the development of helmets, you can choose a Senna or Prost cover and it is full of piccies, technical info' and anecdotes. English and French texts. Seems to be well done.

https://redrunner.fr/en/produit/formula-helmet/
    Lando's helmet for the upcoming British GP - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...o8SRQceSFv3LwE

There's a proud and happy young girl somewhere out there. Got to love Norris' way of thinking, on how he decided upon the winning design.

I'm supposed to be working this weekend however there's no way that I was going to miss this race live so I've booked it all off. I don't have Sky so will be, as usual, at a friend's for Sunday however I shall be gorging myself on Channel 4's coverage until then, including the practise sessions tomorrow.

Master
    I think we all know you are not a fan, there’s really no need to remind us ad nauseam.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I think we all know you are not a fan, there’s really no need to remind us ad nauseam.
    Are you saying that we aren't allowed to criticise Hamilton? Should this thread be turned over to the Hamiltonanists, to allow them to worship unchallenged?

My opinion is as valid as that of anybody else.

Master
    Are you saying that we aren't allowed to criticise Hamilton? Should this thread be turned over to the Hamiltonanists, to allow them to worship unchallenged?

Of course your opinion is as valid as anyone’s, you just seem very keen to criticise Hamilton at every opportunity.

Blog Entries
    It's confirmed that Perez has Covid-19. I hope he'll recover soon.

https://twitter.com/F1?ref_src=twsrc...et-coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Not great news. Hope he.hets over it swiftly. I do like Perez.

Could this mean no GP this weekend?

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman

That's terrible news, I hope he recovers very soon and is back in the car quickly.

Do we know who Racing Points reserver drive is? Or do you think they'll call up someone like Hulk?

Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Could this mean no GP this weekend?
    A statement from governing body the FIA said "procedures… have provided for swift containment".

The statement adds that Perez's positive test "will have no wider impact on this weekend's event".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53601564

Blog Entries
    That's terrible news, I hope he recovers very soon and is back in the car quickly.

Do we know who Racing Points reserver drive is? Or do you think they'll call up someone like Hulk?
    According to a Dutch newspaper, the two potential replacements are Gutierrez and Vandoorne. Both act as test driver for Mercedes, Racing Point and McLaren.

M

I wonder (and I bet Perez does) where he kopped for that !

No one is saying you cannot have an opinion, but then opinions should be based upon tangible evidence to support said opinion. Otherwise it’s just bigotry. Also whilst you like to express your opinion, you seem to have a problem when others offer a different POV.

I think it’s fair to say that you (and some others) don’t like Hamilton, that you and others believe he is cockwobble, etc, etc. That’s fine, I am sure you have what you think is valid reasons, but why then label those who disagree with you as “Hamilton Fanboys” and now “Hamiltonists”. All a bit sad don’t you think.

As others have previous said, this tread is about the 2020 F1 season. Let’s keep it focused on that and leave the name calling in the BP where it belongs.

Friedrich Nietzsche

According to a Dutch newspaper, the two potential replacements are Gutierrez and Vandoorne. Both act as test driver for Mercedes, Racing Point and McLaren.

M
    Hulk current favourite.

Gutierrez hasn't made an F1 start since the end of the '16 season and Vandoorne is preparing for the Berlin FE finale, Hulkenberg is current no.1 favourite to take Perez' seat and I hope that comes to fruition - he's familiar with the team having spent two stints with them, in 2012 and then '14-'16, and he's not slow either. I'm not sure exactly where he could fit in however a decent showing for this weekend and next, presuming he does both as Perez is quarantined for 10 days, may put him in a position for a permanent seat for '21.

As has already been stated, the race weekend is due to go ahead as planned.

I love going to watch the BTCC but the championship is pretty meaningless because of all the gimics to keep the racing closer. I've been to many races over the years but couldn't tell you who won any of them.

Personally I'd rather BTCC was a proper championship with no artifical handicaps even if it meant the racing wasn't always as close. F1 should definitely not go down the same route as BTCC.

And we've had 2 good F1 races and 1 ok race already this season with plenty of overtaking so I'm not sure why all the moaning already.

C4 coverage just started and Nico Hulkenberg is at the circuit for Perez.

Master
    C4 coverage just started and Nico Hulkenberg is at the circuit for Perez.
    Good to see him back, is this the weekend we see him on the podium?

Blog Entries
    We, Dutch, applaud the return of Hulkenberg. Being born just on the German side of the Dutch - German border, he did his early racing days (karting et al) mainly in The Netherlands and Belgium. The eastern border between Germany and The Netherlands was drawn halfway through towns, villages etc. Officially there's a border and a different country. For most people living near the border, it's a non-existing 'line' with family members and friends living on both sides of the border, some even living down the street.

No wonder that his Dutch language skills are impeccable plus he's a nice person in front of cameras. That makes him quite popular here. So, 'we' regard him as 'one of us'. Mind you, a (theoretically!) Verstappen - Hulkenberg team-up would be considered here as an 'all Dutch crew'.

Good to see him back, is this the weekend we see him on the podium?
    If so, for most Dutchies, that would be as good as Verstappen being on the podium.
    Last edited by thieuster; 31st July 2020 at 11:42.

Master

That's making a different point though. I was suggesting that Lewis Hamilton is one of the best drivers over the past few decades but acknowledge there is no way of proving that when there is not a level playing field and he is in undoubtedly one of the better cars. Maybe if he moved to another team and still won the World Championship that would provide something more definitive as to his skills.

A better analogy would be that all 100m runners where the same shoes, so the wearer is the only variable. I'm not advocating that either, as I agree that car development is an interesting angle and also if you seek to sterilise the whole event, you have to get rid of the whole safety car piece too which is a total wildcard and often unfair, but means the race is not won until the chequered flag. An annual budget is the best bet, but you're right, it isn't going to happen.

So takes me full circle back to me thinking Hamilton is one of the best drivers of recent decades, that I have no firm evidence to prove that and he remains a first class Cockwomble off the track on many occasions too and based on more evidence!

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I wonder (and I bet Perez does) where he kopped for that !
    C4 reported that Perez had been back home to Mexico between Hungary and this weekend to visit his ill mother, he's in the UK now and will remain quarantined for the 10 day period that will also cover the 2nd race at Silverstone. I thought that all drivers had to remain within a defined bubble for the season, I may be wrong there though and there may well be caveats to that anyway. Just because he has been back to Mexico doesn't necessarily mean that this is related to his positive tests, of course.

Master
    That's making a different point though. I was suggesting that Lewis Hamilton is one of the best drivers over the past few decades but acknowledge there is no way of proving that when there is not a level playing field and he is in undoubtedly one of the better cars. Maybe if he moved to another team and still won the World Championship that would provide something more definitive as to his skills.

A better analogy would be that all 100m runners where the same shoes, so the wearer is the only variable. I'm not advocating that either, as I agree that car development is an interesting angle and also if you seek to sterilise the whole event, you have to get rid of the whole safety car piece too which is a total wildcard and often unfair, but means the race is not won until the chequered flag. An annual budget is the best bet, but you're right, it isn't going to happen.

So takes me full circle back to me thinking Hamilton is one of the best drivers of recent decades, that I have no firm evidence to prove that and he remains a first class Cockwomble off the track on many occasions too and based on more evidence!
    You are forgetting though that Lewis hasn’t only raced in a Mercedes in F1. He also won a world championship with Mclaren, and while I haven’t checked, I would imagine his stats coming through all the junior categories including karting are pretty good too.
    Let’s also not forget that he is the only driver in F1 history to have won a race in every year he’s been in F1. That time includes the 4 year Red Bull domination period.

C4 reported that Perez had been back home to Mexico between Hungary and this weekend to visit his ill mother, he's in the UK now and will remain quarantined for the 10 day period that will also cover the 2nd race at Silverstone. I thought that all drivers had to remain within a defined bubble for the season, I may be wrong there though and there may well be caveats to that anyway. Just because he has been back to Mexico doesn't necessarily mean that this is related to his positive tests, of course.
    You would think that, however CLC also broke protocol between the first two GP so he would attend a party in Monaco with his mates. Legs were slapped.

According to the HMG anyone returning from Mexico must self isolate for 14 days. Oddly if you have contracted Covid it’s 10 days.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Stroll fastest in FP2 (never thought I’d say that) maybe this formula is all about the cars

You would think that, however CLC also broke protocol between the first two GP so he would attend a party in Monaco with his mates. Legs were slapped.

According to the HMG anyone returning from Mexico must self isolate for 14 days. Oddly if you have contracted Covid it’s 10 days.
    I think that an ill parent would trump a party and the fact that Perez already knows he has C19 means that the 14 day period (which allows time for the symptoms to show themselves) would be trumped by the 10 day isolation. Either way it's a shame he's out as that's at least two races he'll go without championship points.

Vettel has had a 'mare of a day, Albon crashed out of P2 after setting the 2nd fastest time of the session and, as has been said, Stroll set the fastest time. His stand-in teammate achieved 7th, not a bad result all things considered. Lap times are expected to drop tomorrow, the cooler air temperatures will come as a welcome relief to today's relentless heat.

Edit to add that I think I'm correct in saying that due to the C19 test regime that the travelling circus abides by the 14 day fixed period wouldn't apply anyway. Any "normal" traveller may have a 14 day quarantine period, this wouldn't apply to Perez.
    Last edited by CardShark; 31st July 2020 at 17:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You are forgetting though that Lewis hasn’t only raced in a Mercedes in F1. He also won a world championship with Mclaren, and while I haven’t checked, I would imagine his stats coming through all the junior categories including karting are pretty good too.
    Let’s also not forget that he is the only driver in F1 history to have won a race in every year he’s been in F1. That time includes the 4 year Red Bull domination period.
    Not forgotten, but he's clearly had a run of decent cars too! I'd point to the fact that he has also generally dominated his team mate in the same car, but Nico's record in Karting was sensational and he is one of the few that did finish ahead of Hamilton, no doubt Hamilton has matured even in the last few years.

The problem is when you take super fast drivers like Riccardo or Raikonnen and dump them in an inferior car, then see them disappear to the back of the grid. Vettel has often been shown up by Le Clerc now both are in an inferior car to the one Vettel dominated in. The debating will always go on, I'd take Hamilton though if there ever was a level playing field.

I know Vettel is out of favour with Ferrari but sending him out with a loose pedal box is a bit much

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I know Vettel is out of favour with Ferrari but sending him out with a loose pedal box is a bit much

Shame about Albon. He is quick on that track so to bin it was disappointing. Stroll impressed, but a swallow doesn’t make a summer, especially as the track conditions will be so different on Sunday.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Hopefully the Mercs will take each other out and Hulk will win it