closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    The Haas penalty for driver coaching, I don't get.

They are allowed to discuss tyre strategy in the race, so why not on the green flag lap?
    I don’t think they are allowed to on the warm up lap

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The replacement tie rod that Red Bull fitted was not the same type as the one that broke, the FIA seem to have turned a blind eye to this.

When it came to the HAAS penalties, it was a case of rules are rules, but the FIA took a completely different attitude when it came to Red Bull placing the leaf blower under the cars without turning them off,

There also seems to be an issue with the Red Bull rear wing, it seems to be linked to the rear suspension and working in much the same way as an anti roll bar, when the suspension loads the opposite end stiffens.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...anges/4838505/

There seems to be a high level of inconsistency in the way the FIA are treating the front running teams and the way they treat everyone else, maybe they are scared of upsetting them.
    With regards to the rear wing, that article reads as if the FIA suspect that it's not just RB that are taking advantage of whatever hole exists in the testing regimes - they're the only team mentioned by name however the plural of team and car was used more than once. Ultimately I suppose it's tricky to rule a part/parts illegal if they conform to load tests applied to them and no written definition of the components has been missed or "accidently" glossed over.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    The Haas penalty for driver coaching, I don't get.

They are allowed to discuss tyre strategy in the race, so why not on the green flag lap?
    I did some digging as this interested me too; apparently there are different rules on driver aids during the formation lap.

https://www.pitpass.com/67426/Why-th...were-penalised

Asked to explain, if only for the benefit of Gene Haas, Race Director, Michael Masi said: "There was a technical directive that came out in 2017 clarifying what communications the team can make to the drivers on the formation lap, which relates to Article 27.1 of the sporting regulations, which is that the driver must drive the car alone, and unaided.

"Part of that summons is that both drivers were called in by their engineers to change tyres on the formation lap, which is not permitted within that technical directive that was issued at the time about what can and can't.

"In essential terms, the only communication that can be made with the driver during the formation lap is to do with safety matters, so if it's an issue of imminent safety, then that communication can take place."

One more post for now.

For those that are of the opinion that F1 is boring because Mercedes have been dominant for so long, and only due to that, then I implore you to look at what else is going on during a race weekend and over the course of a season. I'm a lifelong fan of the sport and, as such, am interested in not just who's standing on the top step on a Sunday but also what it takes to get there, the history of the circuits, teams, drivers, all the regulations and heck, even the rumour, gossip and politics of it all. Open your eyes and minds else all you'll see is a single dimension of what can arguably be called the greatest single seater formula in the world.

Either that or just cease and desist.

Quote Originally Posted by CamCG View Post
    It sounds like you're taking about the Spanish GP in 1986, held at the Jerez track.

There is a bridge over the start finish straight at Jerez, as could be seen watching the Moto GP just yesterday.

Mansell vs Senna clip:

https://youtu.be/80mTNVO2Ba4

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Happy memories, but not that one. 👍

I might be mistaken and it was the Hungaroring in 89 with Mansell in a Ferrari. It’s amazing to think that was 31 years ago.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

With the lack of races earlier in the year, having it back is a much needed distraction. I love sitting down on sunday with a drink to watch the race and relaxing. This year is shaping up great with McLaren seeming to come back with some form. Yes Mercedes are romping away but they have the best car and one of the best drivers. I'm sure it'll change at some point. The mid pack is the most interesting and so competitive already. MV hasn't been around long but there are already others coming through that look to challenge him and I'm loving the new wave of drivers. Time for some of the old guard to move over if you ask me.

I really want Danny Ric to do well (better) as he always seems to have unfortunate luck in some form or another.

Journeyman
    Looks like its not going to be so exciting as last year this season..

Master

Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Tailyn View Post
    Based on what? The first two races were excellent and while not quite as good, the third race was entertaining too.

Based on speedposting to get to 50?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailyn View Post
    So the midfield battles aren’t exciting, and watching the fastest Formula one cars ever isn’t exciting,

And why exactly are you posting on this thread

I don't really understand the way F1 threads go, across every forum. Nothing else seems to attract folks that clearly don't enjoy it, but watch every event, only to post "that was boring/watch Moto GP instead/ooooh it's not like the good old days".

For me it like football. Not every match is great. But I still enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I don't really understand the way F1 threads go, across every forum. Nothing else seems to attract folks that clearly don't enjoy it, but watch every event, only to post "that was boring/watch Moto GP instead/ooooh it's not like the good old days".

For me it like football. Not every match is great. But I still enjoy it.
    Formula 1 threads were better in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Everything was better in the old days. Cars, Music, Watches, Clothes, Food, Jokes, Books/TV/Films and of course communal diseases.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Another whoosh...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Everything was better in the old days. Cars, Music, Watches, Clothes, Food, Jokes, Books/TV/Films and of course communal diseases.
    No! things were bigger in the old days, Mars bars, Wagon wheels, Fruit salads, Black jacks...……..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Toto's tone over the weekend wasn't quite his usual "speak softly carrying a big stick" style, even if the W11 appears to be a barbed wire encrusted dirty great club. On more than one occasion he referred to Ferrari's power advantage for part of the back half of last season as the reason for driving Mercedes forward with their own PU developments, pushing them beyond what they may otherwise have achieved, the implication being that the increased gap in performance for this season is all Ferrari's doing and that their '19 fuelling irregularities, if that's what it actually was, has effectively shot them in both feet. It could have also been interpreted as a swipe towards the FIA as their lack of transparency and swiftness of action last year is partly, if not wholly, responsible for the performance differentiation we're currently witnessing and that with the sport taking active steps to close the field in the future a lack of clear and decisive action by those that govern F1 could undermine those efforts.
    I found those comments interesting too.
    I felt the FIA private agreement was always a crappy way of dealing with that issue and was also only likely to cause further annoyance with the teams.
    Interesting that it's pushed Merc to work even harder on their PU; I wonder where the gains came from, as it seems like a leap from last year, which is unusual after fairly stable regs for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    I found those comments interesting too.
    I felt the FIA private agreement was always a crappy way of dealing with that issue and was also only likely to cause further annoyance with the teams.
    Interesting that it's pushed Merc to work even harder on their PU; I wonder where the gains came from, as it seems like a leap from last year, which is unusual after fairly stable regs for several years.
    Unfortunately, without finding definitive evidence of wrongdoing, the agreement was the best tool available to stop Ferrari. And there's no denying it's been effective, they've gone from arguably the best PU to the worst, and with the token system they could well be stuck there for 4 seasons.

Unfortunately, without finding definitive evidence of wrongdoing, the agreement was the best tool available to stop Ferrari. And there's no denying it's been effective, they've gone from arguably the best PU to the worst, and with the token system they could well be stuck there for 4 seasons.

Surely that means that the FIA are incompetent and do not have the technical knowledge to enforce it's own regulations, has this farce proved that the teams can run rings around the enforcers? whatever deal and the reasoning behind it should be in the public domain, this has left the door wide open for another team to do exactly the same thing, the precedent has been set.

Surely that means that the FIA are incompetent and do not have the technical knowledge to enforce it's own regulations, has this farce proved that the teams can run rings around the enforcers? whatever deal and the reasoning behind it should be in the public domain, this has left the door wide open for another team to do exactly the same thing, the precedent has been set.
    Not really. From the outside, it appears that they were highly suspicious of a breach, but they were unable to prove it. So an agreement was reached.

Either continue and we'll investigate until we find out what you're doing. If it's a breach of regulations we'll throw the book at you and then some. Or, stop it, we'll agree to stop the investigation and leave it there.

Without actually proving the case, why should Ferrari release details of their engines? No team would unless forced to.

And it's had the desired effect, it's hobbled Ferrari enormously. In the circumstances (where they couldn't prove a breach), what other option is there?

Not really. From the outside, it appears that they were highly suspicious of a breach, but they were unable to prove it. So an agreement was reached.

Either continue and we'll investigate until we find out what you're doing. If it's a breach of regulations we'll throw the book at you and then some. Or, stop it, we'll agree to stop the investigation and leave it there.

Without actually proving the case, why should Ferrari release details of their engines? No team would unless forced to.

And it's had the desired effect, it's hobbled Ferrari enormously. In the circumstances (where they couldn't prove a breach), what other option is there?

that is the whole point of the enforcement, they should have kept going until the did find whatever it was, as clearly there was something

Master
    that is the whole point of the enforcement, they should have kept going until the did find whatever it was, as clearly there was something
    But it’s Ferrari we are talking about.

To what end? At what point do they say this has cost too much, and we're highly suspicious but can't definitively prove it? Would people be happier with that outcome?

Yes it stops them taking retrospective action, but it has stopped them in their tracks.

You've got to remember that this wasn't the normal investigation, because no
    team protested the car, which would of led to a formal investigation. It was a preliminary stage, and it never went to the tribunal, due to the settlement. The rules clearly allow this outcome.

It's a system they have in place

"The prosecuting body may also enter into a settlement agreement to terminate the procedure.

The immunity granted by the prosecuting body, whether partial or total, is subject to the following cumulative conditions:

“a) cooperating with the FIA in good faith, meaning telling the whole truth and refraining from destroying, falsifying or concealing useful information or evidence

“b) providing the FIA with genuine, total and permanent cooperation throughout the entire investigation, which involves in particular: giving and repeating their testimony in accordance with any request and in any form required by the FIA, [and] remaining at the disposal of the FIA to reply swiftly to any questions it may have.”

And importantly
    The rules state: “The prosecuting body and all persons taking part in the inquiry are bound by an obligation of confidentiality vis?à?vis third parties not concerned with the inquiry.

“Nevertheless, the prosecuting body may at any time make public its decision to conduct a disciplinary inquiry and the outcome thereof.”

So they didn't even have to announce there had been an enquiry.

To what end? At what point do they say this has cost too much, and we're highly suspicious but can't definitively prove it? Would people be happier with that outcome?

Yes it stops them taking retrospective action, but it has stopped them in their tracks.

You've got to remember that this wasn't the normal investigation, because no
    team protested the car, which would of led to a formal investigation. It was a preliminary stage, and it never went to the tribunal, due to the settlement. The rules clearly allow this outcome.

It's a system they have in place

"The prosecuting body may also enter into a settlement agreement to terminate the procedure.

The immunity granted by the prosecuting body, whether partial or total, is subject to the following cumulative conditions:

“a) cooperating with the FIA in good faith, meaning telling the whole truth and refraining from destroying, falsifying or concealing useful information or evidence

“b) providing the FIA with genuine, total and permanent cooperation throughout the entire investigation, which involves in particular: giving and repeating their testimony in accordance with any request and in any form required by the FIA, [and] remaining at the disposal of the FIA to reply swiftly to any questions it may have.”

And importantly
    The rules state: “The prosecuting body and all persons taking part in the inquiry are bound by an obligation of confidentiality vis?à?vis third parties not concerned with the inquiry.

“Nevertheless, the prosecuting body may at any time make public its decision to conduct a disciplinary inquiry and the outcome thereof.”

So they didn't even have to announce there had been an enquiry.
    When I raced bikes, if someone was noticeably quicker post race scrutineers would make you strip the engine in front of them, they even had the kit to Burette the cylinders, most people getting caught withdrew from the results, they do this in club racing but not F1, the pinnacle of motorsport

Regarding the Ferrari case, I get that an agreement was reached in private (thus suggesting that there had been sufficient evidence of wrong doing) but what of the points earned by the team during this period)? Seems very harsh on those teams who lost out because of the actions taken Ferrari. Also do the points earned count towards the drivers statistics?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Regarding the Ferrari case, I get that an agreement was reached in private (thus suggesting that there had been sufficient evidence of wrong doing) but what of the points earned by the team during this period)? Seems very harsh on those teams who lost out because of the actions taken Ferrari. Also do the points earned count towards the drivers statistics?
    From what I've read (happy to be corrected), the points would remain because none of the teams protested. Similar to what Renault will be doing until the RP case is heard, protest at every race rendering the result provisional.

From what I've read (happy to be corrected), the points would remain because none of the teams protested. Similar to what Renault will be doing until the RP case is heard, protest at every race rendering the result provisional.
    Maybe that is the reason Renault are doing it, maybe the teams expected the FIA to act against Ferrari but now they don’t trust them anymore ............maybe

Maybe that is the reason Renault are doing it, maybe the teams expected the FIA to act against Ferrari but now they don’t trust them anymore ............maybe
    It’s potentially worth millions of dollars to teams who need the cash. Not saying that Ferrari don’t, but they should not be seen to be profiting from there issue. Nor should we forget the McLaren were fined big, as a result of the Alonso/Ferrari spy gate.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Toto's tone over the weekend wasn't quite his usual "speak softly carrying a big stick" style, even if the W11 appears to be a barbed wire encrusted dirty great club. On more than one occasion he referred to Ferrari's power advantage for part of the back half of last season as the reason for driving Mercedes forward with their own PU developments, pushing them beyond what they may otherwise have achieved, the implication being that the increased gap in performance for this season is all Ferrari's doing and that their '19 fuelling irregularities, if that's what it actually was, has effectively shot them in both feet. It could have also been interpreted as a swipe towards the FIA as their lack of transparency and swiftness of action last year is partly, if not wholly, responsible for the performance differentiation we're currently witnessing and that with the sport taking active steps to close the field in the future a lack of clear and decisive action by those that govern F1 could undermine those efforts.
    Cliche I know, but we all know what FIA stands for.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Dear Ferrari, you are fifth in the championship because your star driver crashed into other driver, where do I send the invoice?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...mEiLwgt8K.html

Master
    Dear Ferrari, you are fifth in the championship because your star driver crashed into other driver, where do I send the invoice?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...mEiLwgt8K.html
    I think Ferrari only WISH it were that simple. Their qualifying times speak volumes as to where they currently stand.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I think Ferrari only WISH it were that simple. Their qualifying times speak volumes as to where they currently stand.
    It is true at the moment, but as the season goes on the effect will be diluted...……………..unless he does it again

When I raced bikes, if someone was noticeably quicker post race scrutineers would make you strip the engine in front of them, they even had the kit to Burette the cylinders, most people getting caught withdrew from the results, they do this in club racing but not F1, the pinnacle of motorsport
    You're completely missing the point. Each driver has three internal combustion engines for the season, and engines are examined and sealed by the FIA when they are brought into service. Engines, as in the internal combustion engine, are brought into service when necessary at various points throughout the season, usually before Canada and the tracks which are harder on the ICU such as Spa, Monza or Suzuka. The current wisdom is to continuously develop the major power unit components (the units which are restricted by the FIA) throughout the season, so that upgrades can be introduced as the year progresses.

Stripping a modern Formula 1 engine is somewhat more complicated than you imagine. For anybody interested, there's a very good insight into current Formula 1 power unit development in the May 2020 edition of Racecar Engineering.

Meanwhile, Ferrari are rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic with a reshuffle of their technical departments:

https://www.pitpass.com/67434/Ferrar...cal-department
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    You're completely missing the point. Each driver has three internal combustion engines for the season, and engines are examined and sealed by the FIA when they are brought into service. Engines, as in the internal combustion engine, are brought into service when necessary at various points throughout the season, usually before Canada and the tracks which are harder on the ICU such as Spa, Monza or Suzuka. The current wisdom is to continuously develop the major power unit components (the units which are restricted by the FIA) throughout the season, so that upgrades can be introduced as the year progresses.

Stripping a modern Formula 1 engine is somewhat more complicated than you imagine. For anybody interested, there's a very good insight into current Formula 1 power unit development in the May 2020 edition of Racecar Engineering.

Meanwhile, Ferrari are rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic with a reshuffle of their technical departments:

I'm not missing any point, when the engines are inspected and sealed the scrutineers take the teams word that they are compliant, as in any other form of motor racing. Beyond that any work that is carried out is observed and noted by FIA officials, obviously this doesn't just apply to the engines it is the whole powertrain and any critical components that must be declared.

if true F1 might be going to the Nurburgring in October, and Portimao is one of my favourite tracks

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/22/...mao-and-imola/

Master
    Ferrari are rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic with a reshuffle of their technical departments
    I like that

...Meanwhile, Ferrari are rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic with a reshuffle of their technical departments:

Make that the Costa Concordia?

...Portimao is one of my favourite tracks
    ... and this is one of my favourite YT videos, it needs the best part of an hour to watch however it feels like 15 minutes.

Not F1 but it does have Chris Harris.

https://youtu.be/q3YPTkBRaOk

... and this is one of my favourite YT videos, it needs the best part of an hour to watch however it feels like 15 minutes.

I liked that, I have dicked about in cars with CH, he can drive

Looks as if Ferrari have started its night of the long knives.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Really enjoyed that Chris Harris video. Thanks for sharing.

Truly excellent video, many thanks.

Cheers,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    Truly excellent video, many thanks.

Cheers,
    Gary
    This one's even better in my view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MDTcXGsjuo
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

May be of interest to some:

Code:
    DOCUMENTARY: Hitler's Supercars
    On: Channel 4
    Date: Sunday 26th July 2020
    Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

Documentary charting the rise of Nazi Germany's Silver Arrow Grand Prix and speed record cars of the 1930s. Leading motor racing and Second World War experts James Holland, Richard Williams, Eberhard Reuss and Chris Routledge tell the story of the Nazi-funded Auto Union and Mercedes Benz National Racing Cars.

Yeees https://www.formula1.com/

At last proper racetracks

And the McLarens are now Gulf colours

Master
    Yeees https://www.formula1.com/

At last proper racetracks

Where did you read of Mclaren using Gulf colours?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Where did you read of Mclaren using Gulf colours?
    I think that the F1 team will only use the logo...Twitter link.

Definitely one of my favourite liveries...

...along with Gold Leaf and JPS.

"Coronavirus: Lewis Hamilton deletes vaccine conspiracy theory post" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53559934

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    "Coronavirus: Lewis Hamilton deletes vaccine conspiracy theory post" - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53559934
    Anything other than driving and Hamilton comes across as a complete twat, to many people have been telling him he’s great for far to long,