closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Interesting that it's a totally speculative protest. If they open up the brake ducts and find the same design, I suspect racing point may well be in a lot of bother
    Pick a component that is impossible to photograph or draw, if anyone is in trouble it would have to be both teams.

Master
    Interesting that it's a totally speculative protest. If they open up the brake ducts and find the same design, I suspect racing point may well be in a lot of bother
    Indeed, it could become very interesting. If Racing Point, as they say they have, had the all clear off the FIA to go ahead with their plans, and then it turns out that some elements are identical to last years Merc, it puts the spotlight rather embarrassingly on the FIA.
    On the other hand, if Racing Point are lying and haven’t been in constant dialogue with the FIA to make sure the car is above board and it’s using identical parts to the Mercedes, then they should be thrown out of the championship.
    Fingers crossed the parts are only similar and not identical, otherwise it could get very messy.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Pick a component that is impossible to photograph or draw, if anyone is in trouble it would have to be both teams.
    Not in this case, it was acceptable to share the brake internal design last year but not this year; so sharing it last year would have been ok but not running it this year, so only Racing Point would be in the wrong. That’s what I read anyway.

Racing Point have been known by many as the Pink Mercedes for some time now, they know that they'll have others trying to trip them up and here we have a case in point - I hope that they wouldn't be so foolish as to leave themselves open to sanctions when they knew that many eyes (or should that be cameras?) would be pointing their way.

My previous "it'll be thrown out" comment was typed without realising that Renault had targeted particular "listed" parts. I'm pretty sure that during Sky's coverage it was mentioned that delegates from the FIA had already visited both RP and Mercedes to ensure that everything is above board, if it isn't sorted by this weekend it's going to be a major topic of conversation in the paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I didn't catch Ted's Notebook, unfortunately. As I said above, CH was adamant that Vettel wouldn't be returning, though the fireworks would be awesome if he did.
    https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...offer-for-2021

Craftsman
    I was about to post this, it would be really harsh on Sergio Perez, he's been a superstar for Racing Point so far and by far their best driver.

Journeyman
    I doubt it will be so exciting as last year with the state of the ferrari's.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    I was about to post this, it would be really harsh on Sergio Perez, he's been a superstar for Racing Point so far and by far their best driver.
    To an extent he is/was a pay driver maybe they don’t need the cash anymore

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailyn View Post
    I doubt it will be so exciting as last year with the state of the ferrari's.
    On the contrary, I think it will be more so. Mercedes look to be untouchable so far, as it has been since the turbo/hybrid era, but the chasing pack is closer than ever and should give some fantastic races.
    Who could pick a winner between Racing Point, Mclaren, Renault and Ferrari, if Ferrari can up their game a bit that is.

Master
    To an extent he is/was a pay driver maybe they don’t need the cash anymore
    That may well be but he’s still a damn sight better than Lance Stroll.
    Let’s not forget he’s had eight podiums. I’d rather see Vettel retire (who lets face it has been massively successful in the sport anyway) than see him take Sergio’s seat. It just smacks of, thank you for the money when we needed it, now piss off because we have a bigger name.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    On the contrary, I think it will be more so. Mercedes look to be untouchable so far, as it has been since the turbo/hybrid era, but the chasing pack is closer than ever and should give some fantastic races.
    Who could pick a winner between Racing Point, Mclaren, Renault and Ferrari, if Ferrari can up their game a bit that is.
    I agree, it might be fun to watch the battle for P4....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailyn View Post
    I agree, it might be fun to watch the battle for P4....
    And let’s be honest, that’s pretty much how it’s been for many many years. Except now the midfield will be closer.

Let’s not forget he’s had eight podiums. I’d rather see Vettel retire (who lets face it has been massively successful in the sport anyway) than see him take Sergio’s seat. It just smacks of, thank you for the money when we needed it, now piss off because we have a bigger name.
    It seems that is exactly what might happen his bills are paid by Telmex, Telcel and Hawkers and now maybe they don't need them.

Craftsman
    I don't think Perez is any more of a pay driver than most of them, even Hamilton comes with sponsorship deals and I think that's the extent of what Perez brings to the team. If we were going to call all drivers who bring sponsorship to the team pay driver, then Alonso is the biggest pay driver on the gris, as the Santander deal he brings is huge.

I agree with you Vettel has had his chance and should make way for drivers who are hungry for success. If this does happen perhaps Sergio can move to Haas, as lets be honst they are due a driver change.

I agree with you Vettel has had his chance and should make way for drivers who are hungry for success. If this does happen perhaps Sergio can move to Haas, as lets be honst they are due a driver change.
    Agree with both these points. I’d much rather they bring in new talent then keep drivers like Vettel bouncing around the mid field. Vettel had a few amazing seasons, the RBR was the best car but he fought for those titles, but he’s lost his way and needs to go. I’m not particularly keen on Alonso coming back either, hopefully that thought won’t age well and we’ll see him at his best but I doubt it.

And Haas need a change. I like both Grosjean and Kevin, but they could do with a shake up. And while I’m at it Raikkonen can retire too (controversial!).

Vettel to Aston and Perez to Haas/Alfa to be announced by the first race at Silverstone

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...mpression=true

Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Thanks BP, it was the only link I could find at the time that said it was a done deal.

The two reports read slightly differently with the Italian article more or less saying that Vettel's move is a done deal bar the paperwork with the second piece reading less comital, that it's just a rumour rather than a strong possibility. I agree with jaytip's post about it being a shame should Perez lose his seat, he has been part of Racing Point's ascendency so to be kicked out in favour of a bigger name when you've done nothing wrong would be galling, even more so should Vettel's move prove to be a placeholder for Mercedes in the future, an idea that I find more amusing than credible. I understand why the future Aston Martin would be interested in having Vettel inbound though is he really going to be a net gain for the team? Having Vettel onboard will shine a bloomin' great spotlight upon them bringing with it a weight of expectation and pressure, though it would sure raise their profile, and its not as if Perez is wet behind the ears either. Being completely honest I've always thought of the Mexican as being a fast, capable and reliable journeyman rather than a future DC, having said that given his potential replacement's performances over the last year or two I'm not so sure I'd boot Perez out, either. I'd rather see him finish the job and prove me wrong than see Vettel sit in a seat that has been nicely warmed for him.

So, where could he go? If Perez was to leave RP I hope he wouldn't have to take a step backwards.
    Last edited by CardShark; 16th July 2020 at 12:41.

Done deal

I wonder if staying at Williams fir another year is going damage GR’s career
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...8Q2bUBDFE.html

Master
    I think he’ll be ok. He’s young enough to see out his contract and still be appealing to Mercedes when Bottas or Hamilton leaves.

Master
    Hopefully not, we all know timing can be a key factor with regards young talent been given the chance to shine.
    I do hope we get the opportunity to see both Russell and Norris compete over the next few years

On a separate note, will we see the Tifosi at the Italian F1? I was enquiring about a refund for our tickets today and was told the Italian authorities and promoters are in discussions with regards allowing some spectators.
    The Monza circuit website seems to confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Hopefully not, we all know timing can be a key factor with regards young talent been given the chance to shine.
    I do hope we get the opportunity to see both Russell and Norris compete over the next few years

On a separate note, will we see the Tifosi at the Italian F1? I was enquiring about a refund for our tickets today and was told the Italian authorities and promoters are in discussions with regards allowing some spectators.
    The Monza circuit website seems to confirm this.
    That’ll be interesting but surprising. I just got my refund for Monaco; was meant to be my 40th birthday present 😢

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    That’ll be interesting but surprising. I just got my refund for Monaco; was meant to be my 40th birthday present 
    Yep don't think we'd be going regardless, gutted for you that would have made for a great birthday. Coincidentally I received an email today re. Monaco 2021 tickets now on sale!

Done deal

i don’t know why. Lance has won more points, so far this season than Vettel 😀

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Ignore - I didn't notice how old the post I was replying to was!

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th July 2020 at 19:47.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Ignore - I didn't notice how old the post I was replying to was!

M

Shame. I wanted to remind BP, that in 1994 Schumacher, holding a one point lead in the WDC, and in the final race, decided to T-Bone Hill (the only person able to catch him), this securing the title for himself.

And then tried to do the same thing to Villeneues in 1997 for which he was stripped of his 2nd Place in the WDC.

Great driver, in a hugely “advantaged” car (cheaty Benetton and Bridgestone shod Ferrari), but the win at any cost and zero ethics did not endear him to many true racing fans.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Shame. I wanted to remind BP, that in 1994 Schumacher, holding a one point lead in the WDC, and in the final race, decided to T-Bone Hill (the only person able to catch him), this securing the title for himself.

And then tried to do the same thing to Villeneues in 1997 for which he was stripped of his 2nd Place in the WDC.

Great driver, in a hugely “advantaged” car (cheaty Benetton and Bridgestone shod Ferrari), but the win at any cost and zero ethics did not endear him to many true racing fans.
    But remember him in the rain?? Isn't that also known as a great leveler?

Agree on your points about his ethics...but he was a fantastic driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    But remember him in the rain?? Isn't that also known as a great leveler?

Agree on your points about his ethics...but he was a fantastic driver.
    Senna, Mansell, Prost, Button, Hunt, etc had some fantastic drives in the wet as well, but they never won 7 WDCs. Perhaps they might have with some of advantages MS had.

Friedrich Nietzsche

So it’s the 2020 Mercedes in first and second and the 2019 Mercedes in third and fourth, lap record gone by over a second

Imagine if they put a fast driver in Strolls car
    Last edited by adrianw; 18th July 2020 at 15:04.

So it’s the 2020 Mercedes in first and second and the 2019 Mercedes in third and fourth, lap record gone by over a second

Imagine if they put a fast driver in Strolls car
    In fairness to Stroll, I think he drove pretty well, but I cannot help thinking what CLC, LN, MV or GR could have achieved in same, but I doubt any of them would have beaten LH final track which certainly had the wow factor. No idea what Bottas might be thinking being 1% slower.

I thought Russell was once again impressive. I so hope he gets some points tomorrow. Albion seems to have hit a wall. No idea what has happened to Haas and Alfa - disappointing. Ferrari must be pleased to be the fastest non-Mercedes powered car.

And the winner of the biggest whiner award once again goes to MV.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    In fairness to Stroll, I think he drove pretty well, but I cannot help thinking what CLC, LN, MV or GR could have achieved in same, but I doubt any of them would have beaten LH final track which certainly had the wow factor. No idea what Bottas might be thinking being 1% slower.

I thought Russell was once again impressive. I so hope he gets some points tomorrow. Albion seems to have hit a wall. No idea what has happened to Haas and Alfa - disappointing. Ferrari must be pleased to be the fastest non-Mercedes powered car.

And the winner of the biggest whiner award once again goes to MV.
    Another cracking lap from Lewis when it counts, Bottas would obviously prefer to be on pole but don't think he'll be too disappointed being only a tenth behind.
    Another good show from Russell but can't imagine he'll get forward during the race. Hoping Lando gives us another interesting last lap

Craftsman
    Mercedes have this wrapped up already, congrats to them as they have a dominating car. It is all very boring though, a dominating car plus a number 1 driver means that it's all over for this year and next. I think the best we can hope for is some interesting things in the mid field, but who really cares about that?

Mercedes have this wrapped up already, congrats to them as they have a dominating car. It is all very boring though, a dominating car plus a number 1 driver means that it's all over for this year and next. I think the best we can hope for is some interesting things in the mid field, but who really cares about that?
    Let’s at least wait and see what happens on the big tracks

After watching the F2, if it’s dry the F1 race is going to be all about tyres

After watching the F2, if it’s dry the F1 race is going to be all about tyres
    The Racing Points starting on mediums will be interesting.

In a perfect world you would be right, however it’s not perfect. There are so many variables including weather, safety cars, penalties, accidents, tires/tire choices, lapping slower cars, pit stops, car reliability and of course the drivers ability/skill/mental and physical fitness to handle 900bhp for 70 odd laps whilst sitting on the edge between the track and oblivion, for a couple of hours.

We shouldn’t forget that LH has had 250+ starts in F1 yet has “only” 85 wins, so only one in three (34%). Which actually is massively impressive compared with MS at 30% and Senna’s 25%.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    In a perfect world you would be right, however it’s not perfect. There are so many variables including weather, safety cars, penalties, accidents, tires/tire choices, lapping slower cars, pit stops, car reliability and of course the drivers ability/skill/mental and physical fitness to handle 900bhp for 70 odd laps whilst sitting on the edge between the track and oblivion, for a couple of hours.

We shouldn’t forget that LH has had 250+ starts in F1 yet has “only” 85 wins, so only one in three (34%). Which actually is massively impressive compared with MS at 30% and Senna’s 25%.
    I am sorry but F1 with Mercedes has become a bore not taking away the ability of the drivers.(Yes you will always get good races due to variables but there haven't been enough of them in recent years.)

If Man United or City or Chelsea or Liverpool had won the last 6 Premier League titles in a row even myself as an ardent football fan would be calling it boring.

Merecedes have won the last 6,will walk it this year by a country mile and probably next year...yes it would be nice if other teams could/should improve but it isn't happening and it isn't good for the watching public unless you are a Mercedes fan.

Master
    The start tomorrow should be interesting. Eyes on Bottas and the pink cars. Agree all the mercedes domination could be seen as a bore, but there is plenty of action throughout every race.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I am sorry but F1 with Mercedes has become a bore not taking away the ability of the drivers.(Yes you will always get good races due to variables but there haven't been enough of them in recent years.)

If Man United or City or Chelsea or Liverpool had won the last 6 Premier League titles in a row even myself as an ardent football fan would be calling it boring.

Merecedes have won the last 6,will walk it this year by a country mile and probably next year...yes it would be nice if other teams could/should improve but it isn't happening and it isn't good for the watching public unless you are a Mercedes fan.
    It’s a fair comment, however Celtic have won the Scottish league for the last 10 years and before that Rangers won it many years on the bounce, yet hundreds of thousands still follow it year after year. The same is pretty much true in Spanish football, Dutch football, etc, etc, etc. Other examples of dominance include Porsche/Audi at Le Mans, or the New England Patriots/Green Bay at the Super Bowl, or Chicago Bulls in the NBA, the America’s Cup, the US in the Ryder Cup, The All Blacks, the US ladies football team, etc. The cream rises to the top, but these teams don’t stay at the top forever and perhaps it’s that that generates the excitement.

The funny thing is that I am old enough to remember exactly the same old tropes being used when Red Bull won 4 titles on the bounce and before that when Ferrari won 5. Some people (mostly Ferrari fans) were even complaining about the dominance of the mighty V8 Cosworth, and here we are now complaining about the dominance of Mercedes.

I accept you might find it boring, which is fair enough, I find Tennis boring, but I don’t think it’s fair to assume that because you find it boring, everyone else shares your POV. Personally I love it, we are seeing some of the best drivers ever, in the fastest cars and personally I cannot wait to see Mercedes beat Ferrari’s record and to see Hamilton beat MS record (only 7 more to go).

Hopefully once Ferrari lose their mantle as the Kings of F1, then perhaps they will start to get their s*it together and get competitive again.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Like it or not, 90th pole is pretty impressive.

Looking fwd. to the race.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Only to the casual fan, that's only interested in P1. Can you imagine how boring football would be if everyone was only watching Liverpool/City?

Thankfully these days, the TV directors seem happier to ignore P1 streaking away (to a degree) and look back at the closer racing.

Bar mercedes, the entire field has bunched up. There's closer racing throughout, cars out of position due to the disparity between their quali/race pace, it's been enjoyable in the 2 races so far.

Only to the casual fan, that's only interested in P1. Can you imagine how boring football would be if everyone was only watching Liverpool/City?

Thankfully these days, the TV directors seem happier to ignore P1 streaking away (to a degree) and look back at the closer racing.

Bar mercedes, the entire field has bunched up. There's closer racing throughout, cars out of position due to the disparity between their quali/race pace, it's been enjoyable in the 2 races so far.
    I agree. I’m a Hamilton fan but still find the rest of the battles intriguing.

Many years ago, I seem to remember Mansell (in a Williams in Hungarian GP) coming around a right hander, and overtaking Senna under a bridge. Yet yesterday, watching qualifying I didn’t see that corner or the bridge. Has the circuit been redesigned?

Friedrich Nietzsche

In 2021 i believe there is big changes to F1 and it may see things improve. You dont really know though till it happens but on paper it looks to me like they are trying to make it easier for the teams with less money to have a better chance against the very wealthy teams.

I thought the big changes had been pushed back to 2022 because of Covid?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I thought the big changes had been pushed back to 2022 because of Covid?
    Ah sorry, that makes sense yes. 2022 changes now

Many years ago, I seem to remember Mansell (in a Williams in Hungarian GP) coming around a right hander, and overtaking Senna under a bridge. Yet yesterday, watching qualifying I didn’t see that corner or the bridge. Has the circuit been redesigned?
    If my memory is correct the incident happened at Turn 3, which was reprofiled after a stream was redirected. The corner was tighter than it is now, and if there was a bridge it was probably removed when the corner was changed. I think that there was another car involved, a back marker - it could have been Stefan Johansson in an Onyx.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.