closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    On the topic of penalties, does anyone know what other penalties were dished out after last weeks race. Did Alpha get done for Kimi’s 3 wheel on his wagon impression, etc.
    Fined I think

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Fined I think
    Thanks.

But perhaps that demonstrates the stupidity of the FIA. Grid place penalty for something like failing to slow sufficiently under yellows (a clear safety issue), but a fine for a mechanical/human failure which could have cost a driver their life.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks.

But perhaps that demonstrates the stupidity of the FIA. Grid place penalty for something like failing to slow sufficiently under yellows (a clear safety issue), but a fine for a mechanical/human failure which could have cost a driver their life.
    Not really. It cross threaded, so they had no way if knowing it was loose. And being under the sc, there wasn't sufficient force to dislodge it.

I'm not sure a mechanical failure like that should be penalised.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Hamilton doing what Hamilton does. He is simply untouchable in these conditions and the result speaks for itself. End. Of.
    What is amazing (from my perspective) is that one of LH best performances in the wet was Silverstone in 2008. That’s 12 years ago!! To maintain that level of performance, desire and skill over such a long period is truly remarkable for any sportsman.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Not really. It cross threaded, so they had no way if knowing it was loose. And being under the sc, there wasn't sufficient force to dislodge it.

I'm not sure a mechanical failure like that should be penalised.
    If Kwit Fit failed to fit a wheel correctly to your car, causing you to crash, you (and a judge) might have a different view. Pit crews only have 3 real jobs during a race. Change wheels, replace nose cones and make sure they release cars safely. Surely a fine and a grid place penalty in the next race is more appropriate.

Friedrich Nietzsche

If Kwit Fit failed to fit a wheel correctly to your car, causing you to crash, you (and a judge) might have a different view. Pit crews only have 3 real jobs during a race. Change wheels, replace nose cones and make sure they release cars safely. Surely a fine and a grid place penalty in the next race is more appropriate.
    "The Stewards accept, however, that neither the team, nor the driver had the opportunity to realise that the car was in an unsafe condition and therefore did not stop the car.

"Taking into account these circumstances, a fine of €5000 is appropriate."

I imagine it's the smallest penalty applicable. At the end of the day, failures happen in motorsport. Had they knowingly released him with a loose wheel, the penalty would reflect that. But common sense would suggest that wouldn't happen.

Master
    I thought they introduced rules to tether the wheels a while back as wheels were coming loose quite often. I would have thought the penalty would be related to this, as wheels may come off for a number of reasons

Slowing down under yellows is in the control of the driver, the wheel nut isn’t, I think a team fine is more appropriate rather than a driver penalty in this case.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I thought they introduced rules to tether the wheels a while back as wheels were coming loose quite often. I would have thought the penalty would be related to this, as wheels may come off for a number of reasons
    I think the tether is there in the case of a accident, it would be hard to change a wheel if they are tethered when the nut comes off.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I thought the wheel nuts were modified so that they could not cross thread, they have a long lead in, the wheels have a matching counterbore, they also have an indicator to show they are home, the design was standardised,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8iauvfSHdiQ
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th July 2020 at 09:40.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The tether attaches the hub to the chassis so that in the event of an accident and the fragile suspension arms are broken, the whole wheel assembly doesn't detach. They don't keep the wheels on the hub... the wheel nut is supposed to do that.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think the tether is there in the case of a accident, it would be hard to change a wheel if they are tethered when the nut comes off.
    Good point, and yes seems they are connected to the hub assembly - introduced in 1998. Don’t know where that time went!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I thought the wheel nuts were modified so that they could not cross thread, they have a long lead in, the wheels have a matching counterbore, they also have an indicator to show they are home, the design was standardised,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8iauvfSHdiQ
    Googling 'F1 cross threaded' finds plenty of other examples.

Good point, and yes seems they are connected to the hub assembly - introduced in 1998. Don’t know where that time went!
    It could also be a very convenient excuse,

As a side note, standardising the nuts, guns and use of air would seem to be a very obvious way of saving a lot of money if this article is still correct.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/w...wheel_nut.html

Journeyman
    Still amazes me how red bull did it under 2 seconds. Unreal stuff.

It could also be a very convenient excuse,

As a side note, standardising the nuts, guns and use of air would seem to be a very obvious way of saving a lot of money if this article is still correct.

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/w...wheel_nut.html
    Apparently this is or was under discussion (in 2019 for the 2021 regs...link):

Related to the brakes, another spec part put forward are the axles and wheel nuts. The FIA has been clever to limit this to the rotating assembly, rather than the upright that the axle sits within, as this latter part has huge influence of the suspension geometry and thus on the car’s handling, clearly an area teams will still want to have freedom over.

The axle with its wheelnut, plus presumably its bearings and the ‘bell’ that connects the axle to the brake disc, can easily be spec parts. Perhaps these parts may be made by the proposed brake supplier, as the interface between brake disc and axle is a safety critical factor.

Going back to the wheel nuts, one rather surprising area for spec parts is in pit stop equipment as both the wheel guns, jacks and pit gantry are suggested to be of the same spec for all teams. Most teams already buy the base wheel guns from the same supplier, Paoli, but then modify and tune the guns to suit their needs. This added development speeds up pitstops, so it’s a clear performance differentiator for a team. Conversely, the jacks are designed by each team and the front jacks especially are hugely complex, semi-automated machines. The tech varies by team, but it’s no surprise that the top three teams pit stop tech is a clear step ahead of the midfield teams. So, with spec wheel nuts, wheel guns and jacks, the quickest pitstop times will be purely down to human endeavor as the mechanics do their work in the race. This might be an attractive idea, rather than the stop being down to who has the most development money!

Does anyone know the outcome, please?

I read in the week that the potential critical gearbox Failure was a loose connector, it’s a shame that they don’t have to prove this stuff, latched connectors of the type they use don’t come apart

I read in the week that the potential critical gearbox Failure was a loose connector, it’s a shame that they don’t have to prove this stuff, latched connectors of the type they use don’t come apart
    I read (can't find the article) that it was due to 2 parts of the loom being shaken to the point of getting too close together, and creating electric interference.

I read (can't find the article) that it was due to 2 parts of the loom being shaken to the point of getting too close together, and creating electric interference.
    I’ve made loons for modern F1 cars, they are Inventing a story for some reason, the looms are tested to death and couldn’t suffer from EMC and would not be susceptible to radiated emissions.

So what excuse do Ferrari come up with for Leclerc driving into Vettel

I am more surprised to still see unsafe release where there is clearly a car driving down the pit lane and they very nearly smash into each other.

I remember seeing that god knows how many decades ago and am amazed to see it in 2020.

Oh you really couldn’t make it.

Friedrich Nietzsche

No investigation into the Ferrari incident. So no penalty points either. LH get two points for his accident with Albon CFC gets nothing for taking out his team mate.

Crazy times!

Friedrich Nietzsche

No investigation into the Ferrari incident. So no penalty points either. LH get two points for his accident with Albon CFC gets nothing for taking out his team mate.

Crazy times!
    It’s still FIA

Master

Crazy times!
    Mmm, doesn’t seem to be any consistency here.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I am more surprised to still see unsafe release where there is clearly a car driving down the pit lane and they very nearly smash into each other.

I remember seeing that god knows how many decades ago and am amazed to see it in 2020.
    They changed the rules so they can use the full width of the lane iirc

Crazy times!
    I just won a Bet, when Binotto Was interview he blamed the car and not CLC

I just won a Bet, when Binotto Was interview he blamed the car and not CLC
    How the hell was it the cars fault. Did it suddenly become wider.

Nice easy drive by Lewis and VB. Max did the best he could. Albon appeared to straighten his line a fraction to soon on SP, in an incident which looked very similar to his accident last week. Luckily for him he got away with it. Subject to whatever the stewards decide.

Norris is becoming a bit of a monster

Friedrich Nietzsche

Hamilton cruised off into the distance, it wasn’t quite as easy for Bottas but he got there.

The Tracing Points were flying again showing their new found speed

Nando still third in the championship With another great drive.
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th July 2020 at 15:48.

Craftsman
    Congrats to Mercedes, as they said, an easy win in a dominate car.

They are going to win this and next years championships so easily it might be over at the half way point. Fingers cross there will be at least some decent races along the way.

Master
    So what excuse do Ferrari come up with for Leclerc driving into Vettel
    Radiated emissions from the loons causing electrical interference! :)

Master
    Another borefest....................

Good interviews post race.

Lando on a high...Seb cheerful if frustrated...Charles apologetic and contrite.

On to next weekend...

Why not. Everyone else is doing it.

Such a shame that RP got all their designs signed off by the FIA before the start of the season.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just stop watching it and commenting?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Good interviews post race.

Lando on a high...Seb cheerful if frustrated...Charles apologetic and contrite.

On to next weekend...
    Vettel is currently driving and talking himself out of a top tier contract IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Vettel is currently driving and talking himself out of a top tier contract IMO.
    There are rumours that Red Bull want him back
    Last edited by adrianw; 12th July 2020 at 22:20.

Their are rumours that Rev Bull want him back
    I am puzzled why, given his performance over the last year or so and his media presence. He seems to be of the view that nothing is his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I am puzzled why, given his performance over the last year or so and his media presence. He seems to be of the view that nothing is his fault.
    Ted said in the notebook that paddock rumour has it that Deitrich Matteschitz has told Helmut Marco to bring Vettel home

Journeyman
    Although I like Albon, he was miles off Max today. Maybe vettel to replace Albon?

The Tracing Points...
    Very good!

The top 3 could have been predicted if that's what you mean because you sure didn't mean everything else.

It'll be thrown out.

There are rumours that Red Bull want him back
    I watched all of Sky's race coverage and I'm now watching C4's highlights, Christian Horner made it crystal clear when speaking to Steve Jones that Vettel wouldn't be returning and it didn't sound like he was bluffing either. Albon aside, I'd love to see it happen, if only for the drama that would ensue. Vettel and Vestappen in the same team? RB found it difficult enough with Webber and Vettel.

Talking of Albon... Compare each driver with their teammate in this weekend's race. Each driver was broadly similar to the other with the exception of Verstappen and Albon, there was an 11sec gap between the two and that was with an additional stop for the Dutchman. Last weekend the performance gap wasn't so apparent, I hope for Albon to be closer in Hungry as I'm not so sure that today was representative of his ability - Max has him covered, but not by that much.
    Last edited by CardShark; 12th July 2020 at 23:02.

Ted said in the notebook that paddock rumour has it that Deitrich Matteschitz has told Helmut Marco to bring Vettel home
    I didn't catch Ted's Notebook, unfortunately. As I said above, CH was adamant that Vettel wouldn't be returning, though the fireworks would be awesome if he did.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I didn't catch Ted's Notebook, unfortunately. As I said above, CH was adamant that Vettel wouldn't be returning, though the fireworks would be awesome if he did.
    Dietrich Mateschitz Was there today and Vettel was seen with him, Ted did say it was a rumour

Dietrich Mateschitz Was there today and Vettel was seen with him, Ted did say it was a rumour

Perhaps Vettel will replace Kimi or get a seat at Haas.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Pretty exciting last lap.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

If the billionaire wants it to happen nothing the team can do, he pays the bills?

Him & Seb have always been very close.

Interesting that it's a totally speculative protest. If they open up the brake ducts and find the same design, I suspect racing point may well be in a lot of bother