closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Mine, and many others.
    So please, share in detail how Ferrari’s departure from F1 would then make F1 as dull as Formula E.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    So please, share in detail how Ferrari’s departure from F1 would then make F1 as dull as Formula E.
    You need me to explain to you how dull and soulless Grand Prix racing would become without Ferrari?

Really?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

You need me to explain to you how dull and soulless Grand Prix racing would become without Ferrari?

Really?
    Isn't it mainly history though? The Monaco GP has lots of history but many would say the race itself is now dull and soulless.

I've often found Ferrari's approach to F1 to be dull, they seem to focus on 1 driver and suppress racing within the team.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Isn't it mainly history though? The Monaco GP has lots of history but many would say the race itself is now dull and soulless.

I've often found Ferrari's approach to F1 to be dull, they seem to focus on 1 driver and suppress racing within the team.
    Yes, it's all about history. And if Formula 1 loses its history, it loses its credibility, and integrity. And, crucially, its marketability.

It's a team sport, the teams are rewarded for their finishing position in the Constructors Championship. The drivers championship is of secondary importance to them, there's no tangible reward other than publicity and the possibility of being able to attract more and better sponsors. See Williams, Haas and the Rich Energy debacle.

So you pass the ball to the man most likely to score, but always with an eye on the overall team result.

As far as Monaco is concerned, the sponsors love it. So it's here to stay, regardless of the difficulty in overtaking on track. Monaco is about the occasion, it has attractions that no other race can offer.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

No I don't have a source to quote, but I bet 75% of people who watch F1 do so to see those red Italian cars.

Craftsman
    Formula E is great, lots of racing, lots of overtaking, strategies to work out, drivers I've heard off but without the prima donnas like in F1 and the cars are so quiet you can hear the trye sqeals and crunch of carbon fibre when they rub wheels together.

They are starting to get major car companies involved too, Mercedes, Porsche etc. There is talk to merge Formula E and F1, but I think that's a while off.

Master

Really?
    Yes really. Just because Ferrari have been there from the start it doesn’t mean the sport will collapse without them. Two of the three most successful teams in F1 history are in financial dire straights at the moment and the tone of a lot of your posts about them suggest that you wouldn’t be particularly bothered if they went the way of Lotus and Brabham.
    We don’t all see Ferrari as the be all and end all of F1.

We don’t all see Ferrari as the be all and end all of F1.
    I read that as bellends. Sorry...

Looking forward to this weekend, same track, so same kerbs, and Mercedes reckon that they've resolved their gearbox sensor issues, while Ferrari have brought forward some of their upgrades which were scheduled to appear in Hungary. On the basis of last weekend, with all of the Ferrari powered cars being slow through the speed traps, they appear to have more than just an aero problem.

Some reports suggest that the weather might be wet for this one, has anybody seen any reliable forecasts?

Will the drivers need to be reminded that the track is the black bit between the white lines, and to stay away from the kerbs if they don't want to damage their tyres/suspension/gearboxes/delicate electronics?

Tyre choices are dictated by Pirelli for the first eight races of the season, and will be the same compounds as last weekend. There are three DRS zones, again the same as last week.

Something which has gone unremarked is that Lewis Hamilton had four disciplinary points awarded last weekend, two for ignoring the yellow flag/track side light/steering wheel light when his team-mate went off in qualifying, and two for the collision with Alex Albon, giving him seven points at the moment. Twelve points within twelve months results in a one-race ban.

Robert Kubica will have Kimi Raikkonen's Alfa Romeo for FP1, while Jack Aitken gets a drive in George Russell's Williams.

More later.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    No I don't have a source to quote, but I bet 75% of people who watch F1 do so to see those red Italian cars.

Often in the hope they would get beaten (mainly during the MS period) A bit like Manchester United during the Fergie period).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Looking forward to this weekend, same track, so same kerbs, and Mercedes reckon that they've resolved their gearbox sensor issues, while Ferrari have brought forward some of their upgrades which were scheduled to appear in Hungary. On the basis of last weekend, with all of the Ferrari powered cars being slow through the speed traps, they appear to have more than just an aero problem.

Some reports suggest that the weather might be wet for this one, has anybody seen any reliable forecasts?

Will the drivers need to be reminded that the track is the black bit between the white lines, and to stay away from the kerbs if they don't want to damage their tyres/suspension/gearboxes/delicate electronics?

Tyre choices are dictated by Pirelli for the first eight races of the season, and will be the same compounds as last weekend. There are three DRS zones, again the same as last week.

Something which has gone unremarked is that Lewis Hamilton had four disciplinary points awarded last weekend, two for ignoring the yellow flag/track side light/steering wheel light when his team-mate went off in qualifying, and two for the collision with Alex Albon, giving him seven points at the moment. Twelve points within twelve months results in a one-race ban.

Robert Kubica will have Kimi Raikkonen's Alfa Romeo for FP1, while Jack Aitken gets a drive in George Russell's Williams.

More later.
    Great, lets get back to racing, it'll be interestng to see how they handle the same track. But if it's wet it'll throw a curveball (hopefuly).

Fingers cross for a decent race again, and some action we can talk about.

I bring news, of the "good" and "bad" varieties, with new races announced for this season.

The "good" is that there will be a Grand Prix at Mugello, which is God's very own racetrack. The only caveat is that it's a mix of tight and twisty, with a very long start/finish straight. But it's set in a spectacularly wonderful part of Italy, so what's not to like?

On the down side, there will also be a race at Sochi.

just listening to sky (should be working) they were saying that the drivers went home between, I'm suprised

Only Bottas and Leclerc
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th July 2020 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    just listening to sky (should be working) they were saying that the drivers went home between, I'm suprised

Only Bottas and Leclerc
    Apparently teams gave them permission, but FIA have slapped wrists. Surprised to see Bottas' blonde 2.0 in attendance as well.

The Racing Point’s are fastest down the straights in FP2, looking quick around here, assuming the others aren’t running heavy they are all having trouble matching their pace.
    I never thought I’d see Hamilton behind Stroll.
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th July 2020 at 14:55.

A rather unusual FP2 session today, as rain is predicted tomorrow, and it has been decreed that if qualifying is rained off, and can't be held on Sunday morning, FP2 times will set the grid.

It's not simply a question of rain, if the medical helicopter can't fly due to lightning, and there isn't a hospital within a pre-set distance from the track by road, which is the case with the Red Bull Ring, cars are not permitted to run.

In other news, Lando Norris will have a three-place grid penalty for overtaking under a yellow flag in FP1, and FP2 was red-flagged early on following a heavy crash for Daniel Ricciardo when his Renault swapped ends on turn-in to Turn 9, the fast downhill right-hander near the end of the lap. He walked away from it, but the car was heavily damaged on the left side.

Several drivers have had lap times deleted for running wide through Turns 9 and 10. The Stewards have had a busy day.

A quick update: Alex Albon has just had a high-speed spin into a gravel trap, and as with Ricciardo, the car suddenly appeared to lose rear downforce.

There's a theory being bandied about on Sky that this year's cars have a "dorsal fin" on which the driver's number is displayed, which runs from the back of the airbox down towards the gearbox, and this might affect airflow to the rear wing as the car changes direction.

Racing point’s third and fourth.

I’d love to know what deal Ferrari made with the FIA regarding their engine, performance deficit since then and now all Ferrari powered cars are going backwards

Sky thinking that Mercedes are seriously sandbagging
    Last edited by adrianw; 10th July 2020 at 15:52.

Chatting to a chap I played golf with today he had an interesting take on the Albion/LH incident.

1) Why didn’t the stewards wait until the 360 camera angle was available to them before making the penalty. Like they did when they reversed their original decision over LH not slowing under yellow the day before.

2) Also if you watch the footage in slow motion, Alex is actually through the apex (because of his wider line and softer tires) before Lewis (older tires, tighter line) and is actually accelerating much faster than Lewis at the time of Impact. This explains why Alex’s rear tires hits Lewis front tires (he was travelling faster). So actually Alex hit Lewis, rather than the other way round. For those who say Lewis caused the crash because he could have lifted, exactly the same is true of Alex.

History now, but having watched it again, I can see where he is coming from.

One other point he made, was that because the F1 season is 50% shorter, then why aren’t the points awarded also reduced by 50%. So 12.5 points for a win, 9 points for second.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    One other point he made, was that because the F1 season is 50% shorter, then why aren’t the points awarded also reduced by 50%. So 12.5 points for a win, 9 points for second.
    Because it would make absolutely no difference to the outcome of the championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Because it would make absolutely no difference to the outcome of the championship.
    It might if a race got abandoned and half points got awarded

It might if a race got abandoned and half points got awarded
    No it wouldn’t.

The "good" is that there will be a Grand Prix at Mugello, which is God's very own racetrack. The only caveat is that it's a mix of tight and twisty, with a very long start/finish straight. But it's set in a spectacularly wonderful part of Italy, so what's not to like?
    Mugello is owned by Ferrari and this season's car has been named SF1000 in honour of the fact that Scuderia Ferrari will compete in their 1000th GP this year.

Which will be at Mugello.

No pressure to perform there, then.

No it wouldn’t.
    15 and 1 are odd numbers, unless you know different

15 and 1 are odd numbers, unless you know different
    Unless I’m mistaken, when half points are awarded then they would also be halved to 7.5 and 0.5.

If that’s not the case then I stand corrected and apologise.

I still can’t see any good reason to change to half points if the season only has half as many races, there’s no logic in doing so. IMHO obviously.

Master
    Halving point makes no difference and no point just because it is a short season.

Maths doesn’t appear to be the strong point in the FIA either given when they changed the point last time in order to make a greater different between first and second, but just multiplied everything by 2.5 IIRC

Surely the points awarded should be doubled to give a valid comparison to other years with full race calendars. Personally I think the points should be quadrupled.

Unless I’m mistaken, when half points are awarded then they would also be halved to 7.5 and 0.5.
    Exempli gratia the 2009 Malaysian Grand Prix.

They should have pulled qualifying forward

Great qualifying session, Russell nearly gets into Q3

1.2second advantage, unbelievable

Say what you like about LH, however in the rain (a great car equaliser) he demonstrated why he is world class. 1.3 seconds quicker. Outstanding bit of driving.

Also a Special mention for Albon, Norris and especially Gasly and Russell.

As for Ferrari - it could have been worse, but not much.

Now awaiting for someone to make a challenge and LH getting hauled in front of the stewards for his standard penality.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

Formula 1 2020

They say rain is the great equaliser, but 1.2 seconds !Wow.

^^^^^ must have been writing this at the same time.

Superb lap.

Master
    Sublime lap from Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Sublime lap from Hamilton.
    It wasn’t just one lap. It was lap after lap. MV looked as he had the pace with a few laps to go in Q3 and LH simply smoked him.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    1.2 seconds between pole and second and 1.2 seconds between second and tenth.

Journeyman
    Can’t believe how bad Ferrari are! Really pleased that McLaren are back fighting after some miserable years.

Craftsman
    Shame that Verstappen spun when the track was at the quickest, I don't think he would of got pole but would of obviously been closer. He's a quik driver but still green, hope his race lasts longer than last weeks one.

Great lap from Sainz, and Norris did well too. It still looks like the dominant car is the Mercedes, as someone above said, the rest of the top 10 are very close, wow image the season of racing we'd have if that car wasn't so dominant. It's very impressive but it is getting a bit boring, it's up to the other teams to catch up of course, but as a longtime F1 fan, I wish they would hurry up so we can have racing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Shame that Verstappen spun when the track was at the quickest, I don't think he would of got pole but would of obviously been closer. He's a quik driver but still green, hope his race lasts longer than last weeks one.

Great lap from Sainz, and Norris did well too. It still looks like the dominant car is the Mercedes, as someone above said, the rest of the top 10 are very close, wow image the season of racing we'd have if that car wasn't so dominant. It's very impressive but it is getting a bit boring, it's up to the other teams to catch up of course, but as a longtime F1 fan, I wish they would hurry up so we can have racing again.
    Sorry but that one was down to the driver, Hamilton was in a class of his own

Craftsman
    Sorry but that one was down to the driver, Hamilton was in a class of his own
    Nah, don't think so. They were half a second faster than Max last week in Quali, and this week the Mercedes was on track to being half a second faster than Max this week, before he spun. Seems pretty simialr to me.

Nah, don't think so. They were half a second faster than Max last week in Quali, and this week the Mercedes was on track to being half a second faster than Max this week, before he spun. Seems pretty simialr to me.
    What relevance have dry warm times got to do with today’s conditions, soaking wet tracks are supposed to be a leveller, Hamilton’s lap was special, and that is how it is being reported
    Last edited by adrianw; 11th July 2020 at 21:33.

Even if the Merc being half a second quicker (in those conditions) and it’s a massive “if”, especially considering Bottas’s lap times, it still doesn’t explain the other 0.7 seconds that Max was slower (before of course he spun out).

Hamilton provided a master class in driving today. End of.

Friedrich Nietzsche

He did alright, I suppose

Craftsman
    Even if the Merc being half a second quicker (in those conditions) and it’s a massive “if”, especially considering Bottas’s lap times, it still doesn’t explain the other 0.7 seconds that Max was slower (before of course he spun out).

Hamilton provided a master class in driving today. End of.
    Before he spun, Max was on course to be about half a second off pole, just like last week.

Mercedes proved, once again, they are the class of the field. End of.

Before he spun, Max was on course to be about half a second off pole, just like last week.

Mercedes proved, once again, they are the class of the field. End of.
    Yet Bottas was fourth.

It looks like Ferrari’s day is going to get worse, CLC is under investigation and has to report to the stewards

Yet Bottas was fourth.

It looks like Ferrari’s day is going to get worse, CLC is under investigation and has to report to the stewards
    3 place penalty for blocking Torpedo

Blog Entries
    Hamilton doing what Hamilton does. He is simply untouchable in these conditions and the result speaks for itself. End. Of.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Someone's had some fun.

Wheel guns go vrrt vrrt
    Have a look around the rest of the track. Bottas Lawnmowers etc

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    3 place penalty for blocking Torpedo
    On the topic of penalties, does anyone know what other penalties were dished out after last weeks race. Did Alpha get done for Kimi’s 3 wheel on his wagon impression, etc.

Friedrich Nietzsche