closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2068

Thread: Formula 1 2020

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Maybe it's worth noting that 12 drivers were given a warning for "inconsistent application of throttle and brake, from the final corner along the pit straight"...see pdf link...and that in the view of the stewards "no one driver was wholly or predominantly to blame."

Let's hope that all the drivers have learnt something from the circumstances of the accident and that there is some change to the regulations that will reduce the likelihood of anything similar happening in future.
    I think that they should all appeal citing the race director’s incompetence, if the car in front of you and the car next to you go, what are you supposed to do, sit there and wait to be hit?

Technically Bottas’s actions may have been correct, however more and more people are taking the view that he caused the chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I think that they should all appeal citing the race director’s incompetence, if the car in front of you and the car next to you go, what are you supposed to do, sit there and wait to be hit?

Technically Bottas’s actions may have been correct, however more and more people are taking the view that he caused the chaos.
    Nonsense.

They are supposed to be drivers at the pinnacle of Motorsport.

Bottas needed to reduce the chance of slipstream, which he did - they just 'booted it' without really being 100% cognoscenti of what was happening.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    But aren’t these drivers, (because it’s not the teams), supposed to be “role models” and setting examples for the younger generations.

Perhaps the FIA should implemented a swear box with proceeds going to charity. World hunger could be solved.
    Probably hard to resist using expletives when you can see cars crashing all around you rather dangerously!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Claire Williams, end of an era 2020. (nice watch btw)

Last edited by oldoakknives; 14th September 2020 at 22:38.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nonsense.

They are supposed to be drivers at the pinnacle of Motorsport.

Bottas needed to reduce the chance of slipstream, which he did - they just 'booted it' without really being 100% cognoscenti of what was happening.
    No! They got a Green light and the car in front went, the start straight was up hill, all they could see was the car in front, they were dammed if they went and dammed if they didn’t go.

No! They got a Green light and the car in front went, the start straight was up hill, all they could see was the car in front, they were dammed if they went and dammed if they didn’t go.
    They went, without looking and judging - so damned. Schoolboy error with consequences.

They went, without looking and judging - so damned. Schoolboy error with consequences.
    At Start of the next Grand Prix, if they aren’t sure Or are unsighted when the lights go out should they not go?

That is what you are saying, right?

At Start of the next Grand Prix, if they aren’t sure Or are unsighted when the lights go out should they not go?

The sighting they have is - lights, cars in front and adjacent.

You suggesting they 'trust' that the pack will FO down the track and just 'go for it' regardless of what is happening in front and around?.

Not a good point. At the start, when the red lights go out, the race is on and overtaking is allowed.

At the end of a period under the safety car they are not allowed to overtake until they cross the control line.

The green lights / flags only indicate a clear track, ie no safety car in this instance. It's not a signal to go racing. I'd expect the drivers to know this.

The sighting they have is - lights, cars in front and adjacent.

You suggesting they 'trust' that the pack will FO down the track and just 'go for it' regardless of what is happening in front and around?.
    At last, you’re getting it, It’s called racing and most of the time it works, however when it doesn’t they don’t have to blame someone, but for some reason they feel need to.

Not a good point. At the start, when the red lights go out, the race is on and overtaking is allowed.

At the end of a period under the safety car they are not allowed to overtake until they cross the control line.

The green lights / flags only indicate a clear track, ie no safety car in this instance. It's not a signal to go racing. I'd expect the drivers to know this.
    It is a signal to race, otherwise get swallowed up, or do what they did on Sunday,

As I said, if Bottas hadn’t been dicking about at the front the crash wouldn’t have happened
    Last edited by adrianw; 14th September 2020 at 23:56.

It is a signal to race, otherwise get swallowed up, or do what they did on Sunday,

As I said, if Bottas hadn’t been dicking about at the front the crash wouldn’t have happened
    Define 'dicking about', please.

And how do they get 'swallowed up' if they cannot be overtaken?
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th September 2020 at 00:01.

Define 'dicking about', please.

And how do they get 'swallowed up' if they cannot be overtaken?
    Driving impossibly slowly, whilst most of the grid is unsighted,

As on Sunday, once they cross the line the cars either side are effectively past, you can’t have a drag race and expect everyone to stop, funny thing I saw a driver disqualified at an LMA race at castle Coombe for doing what Bottas did on a rolling restart

Driving impossibly slowly, whilst most of the grid is unsighted,

As on Sunday, once they cross the line the cars either side are effectively past, you can’t have a drag race and expect everyone to stop, funny thing I saw a driver disqualified at an LMA race at castle Coombe for doing what Bottas did on a rolling restart
    Unfortunately the rules say that 'the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace' so I cannot see what was "impossible" about Bottas's driving.

That is so long as it didn't involve 'erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart' and I'm pretty sure the stewards considered this as they say that they "examined the telemetry of each car involved in the restart." I can only surmise that the driver at Castle Coombe may have transgressed that part of the rule, rather than "doing what Bottas did".

Unfortunately the rules say that 'the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace' so I cannot see what was "impossible" about Bottas's driving.

That is so long as it didn't involve 'erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart' and I'm pretty sure the stewards considered this as they say that they "examined the telemetry of each car involved in the restart." I can only surmise that the driver at Castle Coombe may have transgressed that part of the rule, rather than "doing what Bottas did".
    Exactly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Probably hard to resist using expletives when you can see cars crashing all around you rather dangerously!

If it was just then, it might be understandable, but it isn’t.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Bottas didn’t “need” to reduce the chance of slipstream, he chose to, but for obvious reasons. The problem was that the stewards didn’t give him much of a choice. Either go on the corner of the straight (and suffer the full consequences of the slipstream without DRS) or wait until the last possible moment (the start line) before going.
    Last edited by Andyg; 16th September 2020 at 15:32.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

From Kimi's Instagram...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

From Kimi's Instagram...
    James Hunt was a womaniser and sexual predator of the highest order, a bit of a piss head, smoker, budgie owner, a bit of a nut job, who died of a heart attack at 45. He even managed to get caught getting a bl*w job from a grid girl behind the back of the garage, before the Japanese GP restart. In fact during 1976, F1 wasn’t shown on UK TV because his car was sponsored by a condom manufacturer. Behaviours, which I am sure you would agree would simply be unacceptable in the current media driven F1 corporate era. So not exactly the “role model” you seem to need.

So surely it’s not the evolution of F1 drivers that’s being questioned by Kimi, it’s the evolution of society/F1/drivers as a whole. But perhaps what Kimi actually meant was that in 1970’s (when the Hunt picture was taken) there was NO black drivers on the F1 grid and now there are. So the evolution has been positive thing. Who knows, but I am sure people will draw their own but these were different times. Unfortunately it’s a bit like Wayne Rooney comparing a picture George Best with Raheem Sterling. Pointless.

BTW I am a huge Hunt fan, because I actually saw him race (and crash) at Crystal Palace plus had the privilege of chatting to him at a Lancia event hosted by Tony Brookes in 1983,
    Last edited by Andyg; 18th September 2020 at 22:00. Reason: Correction. It was Alan Jones’s car who was sponsored by Durex

Friedrich Nietzsche

James Hunt was a womaniser and sexual predator of the highest order, a bit of a piss head, smoker, budgie owner, a bit of a nut job, who died of a heart attack at 45. He even managed to get caught getting a bl*w job from a grid girl behind the back of the garage, before the Japanese GP restart. In fact during 1976, F1 wasn’t shown on UK TV because his car was sponsored by a condom manufacturer. Behaviours, which I am sure you would agree would simply be unacceptable in the current media driven F1 corporate era. So not exactly the “role model” you seem to need.

So surely it’s not the evolution of F1 drivers that’s being questioned by Kimi, it’s the evolution of society/F1/drivers as a whole. But perhaps what Kimi actually meant was that in 1970’s (when the Hunt picture was taken) there was NO black drivers on the F1 grid and now there are. So the evolution has been positive thing. Who knows, but I am sure people will draw their own but these were different times. Unfortunately it’s a bit like Wayne Rooney comparing a picture George Best with Raheem Sterling. Pointless.

BTW I am a huge Hunt fan, because I actually saw him race (and crash) at Crystal Palace plus had the privilege of chatting to him at a Lancia event hosted by Tony Brookes in 1983,
    Or maybe Kimi was commenting on the evolution of their dress sense?

OK, I'm a bit prejudiced being over 60 but...

Apprentice
    [QUOTE=Andyg;5535442]James Hunt was a womaniser and sexual predator of the highest order, a bit of a piss head, smoker, budgie owner, a bit of a nut job, who died of a heart attack at 45. He even managed to get caught getting a bl*w job from a grid girl behind the back of the garage, before the Japanese GP restart. In fact during 1976, F1 wasn’t shown on UK TV because his car was sponsored by a condom manufacturer. Behaviours, which I am sure you would agree would simply be unacceptable in the current media driven F1 corporate era. So not exactly the “role model” you seem to need.

BTW I am a huge Hunt fan, because I actually saw him race (and crash) at Crystal Palace plus had the privilege of chatting to him at a Lancia event hosted by Tony Brookes in 1983,[/QUOTE

Kimi doesn't strike me as being someone that is engaged in current social issues so would doubt he is posting it from a racial progress outlook from him is unlikely.

I may be wrong but isn't that Barry Sheene with him?

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I may be wrong but isn't that Barry Sheene with him?
    It would certainly seem so -
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ot...ry-Sheene.html

Didn't realise Barry was so tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Didn't realise Barry was so tiny.

Or maybe Kimi was commenting on the evolution of their dress sense?

OK, I'm a bit prejudiced being over 60 but...

Could be, especially considering that 70’s fashion meant that they typically dressed like their dads, David Bowie, Johnny Rotten, David Cassidy, Johnny Cash, Coolie High, Saturday Night Fever, etc.

Some of which were slightly better than LH’s outfit (IMHO), which had a rave/US Cruise tourist vibe.

Friedrich Nietzsche

In 1976 James Hunt drove for McLaren, and won the World Championship. McLaren was not sponsored by Durex. They sponsored Surtees, and Alan Jones. But you're not one to let facts get in the way, are you?

So, apart from having an ill-informed dig at the late, great, James Hunt, you seem to want to defend the indefensible, which is the picture of your hero looking like a complete tit. Predictably.

I think that we should have the 2021 F1 thread in the Bear Pit. Don't you?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master

From Kimi's Instagram...
    There were two pictures and you should've posted them both, would've saved the following speculation about what exactly he was trying to say.

Let's not forget Kimi's a big JH fan, even racing under his pseudonym in a snowmobile race a decade or so ago.

He's the last 'character' of F1, and we won't see his like again.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Let's not forget Kimi's a big JH fan, even racing under his pseudonym in a snowmobile race a decade or so ago.

Absolutely right. We'll miss Kimi when he's gone.

He raced in a replica James Hunt helmet at Monaco a few years ago.

In 1976 James Hunt drove for McLaren, and won the World Championship. McLaren was not sponsored by Durex. They sponsored Surtees, and Alan Jones. But you're not one to let facts get in the way, are you?

So, apart from having an ill-informed dig at the late, great, James Hunt, you seem to want to defend the indefensible, which is the picture of your hero looking like a complete tit. Predictably.

I think that we should have the 2021 F1 thread in the Bear Pit. Don't you?

Oh dear, in your haste to express your predicable faux rage at me, you unfortunately failed to spot my edit made at 22.00 last night, where I corrected my post and identified Alan Jones as the Durex Driver. So unfortunately it is you who have become the “complete tit”, who failed to get his “facts sorted“.

As for my “I’ll-informed “dig” at James Hunt, which bit exactly was “ill informed”? Plus it was hardly a dig, given I am a self confessed Hunt fanboy myself. A great driver, but flawed and certainly not someone who would be acceptable to the PC and woke brigade who infest the media these days.

But just to be clear, you deliberately posted this, no doubt in an effort to continue your rather sad and tedious campaign to denigrate LH. Not satisfied with his tattoos, dogs, earrings, tax affairs, lack of linguistic Skills, etc, you now want to have add his fashion choices (as if it’s important) to your ever increasing whinging.

But on the topic of fashion, I was going to ask your thoughts of Barry Sheen’s cut down denim short shorts, but then thought, I don’t actually care what you think.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Is that not James Hunts son with Kimi ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Oh dear, in your haste to express your predicable faux rage at me, you unfortunately failed to spot my edit made at 22.00 last night, where I corrected my post and identified Alan Jones as the Durex Driver. So unfortunately it is you who have become the “complete tit”, who failed to get his “facts sorted“.

As for my “I’ll-informed “dig” at James Hunt, which bit exactly was “ill informed”? Plus it was hardly a dig, given I am a self confessed Hunt fanboy myself. A great driver, but flawed and certainly not someone who would be acceptable to the PC and woke brigade who infest the media these days.

But just to be clear, you deliberately posted this, no doubt in an effort to continue your rather sad and tedious campaign to denigrate LH. Not satisfied with his tattoos, dogs, earrings, tax affairs, lack of linguistic Skills, etc, you now want to have add his fashion choices (as if it’s important) to your ever increasing whinging.

But on the topic of fashion, I was going to ask your thoughts of Barry Sheen’s cut down denim short shorts, but then thought, I don’t actually care what you think.
    The edit was made after I quoted your post. Stop back-tracking to try to cover up your complete ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Is that not James Hunts son with Kimi ?
    Good spot, Simonus. Could well be, similar tooth gap

Good spot, Simonus. Could well be, similar tooth gap
    It could be Hunt's brother?

I don't really get the impression of character with Kimi. I don't think total indifference should be confused with character. He's how I imagine a drunk Bottas.

Pre wdc, he was one of the most exciting drivers, total commitment and speed. But since, he's basically been playing out a long retirement.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I don't really get the impression of character with Kimi. I don't think total indifference should be confused with character. He's how I imagine a drunk Bottas.

Pre wdc, he was one of the most exciting drivers, total commitment and speed. But since, he's basically been playing out a long retirement.

I think you are probably right about your last paragraph, I think if he was in a top car and could challenge for another wdc he would be different.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think you are probably right about your last paragraph, I think if he was in a top car and could challenge for another wdc he would be different.
    The Ferrari had potential while he was there. Seb spanked him.

Yet there truth is away from the track Kimi is the life and soul

Banned
    Blog Entries

The sexual predator remark is wáy beyond the pale, saying more about AndyG than about Mr.James hunt. It all léast highlights his ignorance about the different age when sex was safe and racing dangerous; réally! dangerous.
    Mr.Hunt btw., despite his playboy image so misunderstood by Andy, drove his budgies to exhibitions in his A40 van as his hobby.

About the light thing. The yellow safety car off is only in velvet table theory different from the lights off at the start. As Andrian observes this is racing. I don´t know if any of you have any real racing experience to base an opinion on, but if not then please shelve your unfounded opinions.

He was screwed over by the press (something to do with a stripbar?) and ever since has been completely off with them all. His personal life stays personal, he says as little as possible to the press.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    A40 van
    it was an A35. He used to get it up to 60mph or so and do his hardest to never have to slow down. From memory it had uprated dampers and that was it. Hunt is the reason why I still want an A35. Small, so you can use more road (especially country lanes), A-Series, so you can give it 100bhp if you like and all manner of Midget, Sprite and even Metro upgrades and if you do leave it standard, always a clear road ahead of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Mr.Hunt btw., despite his playboy image so misunderstood by Andy, drove his budgies to exhibitions in his A40 van as his hobby.
    it was an A35. He used to get it up to 60mph or so and do his hardest to never have to slow down. From memory it had uprated dampers and that was it. Hunt is the reason why I still want an A35. Small, so you can use more road (especially country lanes), A-Series, so you can give it 100bhp if you like and all manner of Midget, Sprite and even Metro upgrades and if you do leave it standard, always a clear road ahead of you!
    And there was me thinking it was all a euphemism.

and if you do leave it standard, always a clear road ahead of you!
    When I was seeking advice before buying a motorhome, a friend said to me
    "When you arrive at your destination, you will always be at the front of the queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    When I was seeking advice before buying a motorhome, a friend said to me
    "When you arrive at your destination, you will always be at the front of the queue.
    At least with an A35 (or, in my case, my Land-Rover), when you do eventually find the one vehicle in the UK going slower than you, you can do a massive two-mile run-up and pray to the god of Oncoming Traffic that there's nothing on that really long stretch of straight, downhill road!

The edit was made after I quoted your post. Stop back-tracking to try to cover up your complete ineptitude.
    My “ineptitude’?

You posted Kimi’s Instagram photo at 12.55 on 18th. I initially responded at 18.01 which I then corrected it 22.00. You then posted again on the 19th 08.10, in which you accused me of “defending in the indefensible”, not getting my facts straight (oh the irony), having a “dig” at Hunt and defending “a complete tit”. I pointed out you were clearly mistaken at 20.38 and all you had to do was check the time stamp, to which you responded at 21.05 by accusing me of “back tracking“ and “ineptitude”.

Now in the spirit of fairness I suppose it’s possible that the time stamps do not appear on whatever platform you are using, however using my IPad, I can assure you that they do.

Therefore I suggest you check your FACTS start accusing people.

Actually better still, why not stop your incessant personal attacks on individual you disapprove of, and stick to the topic.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The sexual predator remark is wáy beyond the pale, saying more about AndyG than about Mr.James hunt. It all léast highlights his ignorance about the different age when sex was safe and racing dangerous; réally! dangerous.

About the light thing. The yellow safety car off is only in velvet table theory different from the lights off at the start. As Andrian observes this is racing. I don´t know if any of you have any real racing experience to base an opinion on, but if not then please shelve your unfounded opinions.
    He was a sexual predator, who used his “rock star” image, looks and fame to exploit young and impressionable women, but was no different to many other “high profile” folks (then and now). But just because it was safe in those days (it really wasn’t), to exploit women and it was considered more acceptable by society, the media and fans, it didn't make it right. Especially by today’s standards.

Actually, the fact you believe that his behaviour was acceptable, actually says more about you than it does me. But then given your comments about some of your “lady friends“ you have posted here previously, that’s hardly a surprise.

Friedrich Nietzsche

My “ineptitude’?
    With respect, can I suggest that you take these comments to the Bear Pit? Your comments on this thread are increasingly removed from the stated topic (reminder: "Formula 1 2020") and would be far better discussed in the Pit.

Master
    Oy, Andy! Go and post in the F1 bear pit thread. We need to know if you are banned from the pit or not.

DELETED
    I wasn't aware of this, can you provide links to information about it please?

Edit (at 11:53.22), in the Bear Pit if it's not acceptable in the G&D.

Edit (10:50.00, 22 September): deleted quote
    Last edited by Foxy100; 22nd September 2020 at 10:50.